Buy other car in Mathura 5 8.06%
Others. Please specify in your response. 3 4.84%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2022, 17:22   #1
BHPian

Advice needed: Beater car for hometown

Introduction:

My family lives in Mumbai but we visit Mathura very frequently as my grandmother and my wife's family lives there. Thus we always need a car in Mathura to serve us when we visit and to do local duties for my grandmother.

We also keep our cars for a long time and historically we've sent our end of life cars from Mumbai to Mathura before they are eventually scrapped or given away to those who may want them.

This thread is to seek inputs from fellow BHP-ians to identify our next car for Mathura, and the corresponding shuffle it may create for us in Mumbai.

My Current Garage:

Before I proceed forward, let me introduce you to my current garage:

Mumbai:
1. 2014 Honda CR-V 2.4 AT AVN (ODO: 116xxx Km)
2. 2020 Maruti Suzuki Dzire Vxi MT (ODO: 22xxx Km)
3. 2006 Toyota Innova 2.4 G4 Diesel MT (ODO: 222xxx Km)

Mathura:
2010 Tata Manza 1.3 Aura Plus Diesel MT (ODO: 75xxx Km)

What's the trigger:

The Manza is DL-registered and has been unregistered this year due to the NGT ruling. It has also aged very poorly and is not in a running condition. I have decided to scrap it and replace it with a different car. As mentioned earlier, this thread is essentially about finding the replacement for the Manza.

Requirements for Mathura:

1. Reliable, as it will essentially be maintained by my chauffeur.
2. Spacious, should seat at least 5 with reasonable comfort.
3. Decent boot for the occasional station runs and to accommodate my grandmother's wheelchair.
3. Good AC
4. Manual, as it will be chauffeur driven.

The car will essentially be a beater and should serve us for the next 3-4 years.

My Options:

Option 1: Send my Innova from Mumbai:

Pros:
1. It's in great condition and it's fitness has been extended for 5 more years to 2026.
2. I got it valued recently and it will fetch me 1.8 lakhs in the open market. This amount does not justify selling the car, and i'm inclined to use it until its end of life. Unfortunately(!!), I don't see it dying on us any time soon
3. I plan to buy the Innova HyCross (or similar) as and when it is launched, so my utility for the Innova in Mumbai is fast approaching its end as I don't want two three-row cars in Mumbai.

Cons:
1. It is MH-registered, so the usual risks of running an out of state car in UP. However, this has never been a problem for us before.
2. The NGT ruling will prohibit the car to travel to Delhi NCR. This is a bit of a problem as we usually take a flight to Delhi and then drive down to Mathura. However, I can always borrow a car from my in-laws or hire a taxi for these trips.
3. It's a very big car for some of the narrower lanes of Mathura.
4. I'm not sure if it's too high for my grandmother to climb in.
5. Am I making a mistake by holding on to this car given the shadow of doubt on older diesel cars?

However, if I send my Innova I will need a replacement as I absolutely need three cars in Mumbai. As mentioned earlier, the long term replacement is another Innova but until it is launched I need a short term replacement which leads to option 2. FYI, I also have a backup booking of the XUV700 top end.

Option 2: Buy a 2015 Ciaz Zxi AT in Mumbai

My friend is selling his immaculately maintained 2015 Zxi AT (ODO: 23xxx Km) as he is upgrading to a Grand Vitara. This car is available for 5.5 lakhs. This option will only be considered if I exercise option 1.

Pros:
1. Owned by my friend and I can vouch for it's history and condition.
2. The Innova is mostly used by my parents on a daily basis and is chauffeur driven. The Ciaz offers similar 2nd row comfort for them. (The 3rd row is used when I move around with my wife, kids, nannies, strollers, etc.).
3. Reliable
4. Good resale: I'm assuming I won't lose much value if I decide to sell it in 1-1.5 years. My XUV700 booking is due to be delivered in Jan 2024.

Cons:
1. Am I making my life more complex by buying this car?

Option 3: Send my Dzire to Mathura

Pros:
1. It is registered in Mathura. Don't ask me why
2. It's a manual and I'd much prefer having an AT in Mumbai.
3. Will serve me for a very long time.
4. No NGT impact and can do Delhi runs.
5. I have Maruti warranty till 2026, so maintenance will be smooth.

Cons:
1. Am I making my life more complex by making this decision?

It's obvious replacement in Mumbai will be the Ciaz mentioned above in option 2.

Option 4: Buy a 2012 SX4 Vxi (CNG) (ODO: 139xxx Km)

Pros:
1. Low Price (~1.5 lakhs + ~50 thousand for preventive repairs)
2. UP registered
3. It's in an ok condition.
4. Spacious
5. Reliable
6. I know the owners of the Maruti dealership in Mathura through whom I'm procuring the car.
7. Can do Delhi runs for the next 2-3 years.

Cons:
1. High mileage (139xxx Km). Not sure of the remaining life of the car. I don't want a Manza like scenario very soon.
2. Smaller boot due to CNG.

Option 5: Buy a decent used car in Mathura

Pros:
1. Simplest option. The local True Value franchise has a few good samples of 2020-2021 Balenos and Dzires. As mentioned earlier, I know the owners.
2. Will get Maruti warranty.

Cons:
1. The Innova dilemma will remain.

Conclusion

I request my fellow members to advise me on how I should go about this scenario. My wife feels I am over-complicating the scenario, and the rest of the family do not feel as strongly about the Innova as I do.

Looking forward to your inputs.

P.S. Mods: please merge this into a new thread if needed. Also, please add this to appropriate section of the forum if required.

Last edited by mpthy : 28th October 2022 at 17:27. Reason: Added poll, changed message to MODS.
mpthy is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 17:42   #2
BHPian

Re: Advice needed: Beater car for hometown

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpthy View Post

Introduction:

Requirements for Mathura:

1. Reliable, as it will essentially be maintained by my chauffeur.
2. Spacious, should seat at least 5 with reasonable comfort.
3. Decent boot for the occasional station runs and to accommodate my grandmother's wheelchair.
3. Good AC
4. Manual, as it will be chauffeur driven.

The car will essentially be a beater and should serve us for the next 3-4 years.
Cant think of any better car than Ertiga/XL6, it seats 5 in comfort with decent boot when the last row is unused. Cheap to maintain and reliable.
2500cc is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 17:56   #3
BHPian

Out of all the options from your post, I'd say that sending your DZire to Mathura makes the most sense. Service and reliability should be no issue whatsoever and its height should be comfortable for getting in and out. It will also not be affected by the NGT ban, so you can drive it in Delhi-NCR too.

However, you mentioned you want to seat 5 people in comfort. Perhaps a used Ertiga/XL6 as suggested above? It has all the benefits of your DZire with the added benefit of interior as well as boot space. Just make sure it's comfortable to get in and out of.

Good luck with your decision!

Last edited by GForceEnjoyer : 28th October 2022 at 17:58.
GForceEnjoyer is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 18:30   #4
BHPian

Sending the Dzire to Mathura makes the most sense.

However I wouldnt recommend buying the Ciaz. The waiting times for the XUV7OO are fast reducing and you might as well get it delivered in 3-6 months.

Unless the XUV7OO is a replacement for the Innova and you need another sedan in Mumbai.
anandhsub is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 01:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

I think it is only obvious that since your DZire bears a UP reg, that it should do well in Mathura It is a natural progression from the Manza in that it ought to be a more refined product and considering you mentioned size being an issue, it really ought to be the best choice to make right? I have personally seen that old people do struggle with the Innova and find it to be a bit of a climb to get in so definitely don't bother sending it to your hometown. The fact that your DZire is petrol is also a good thing as you will not be contributing too much to the local air pollution in your hometown jokes apart being a petrol maruti, it will obviously be easier to maintain than a turbocharged diesel even if it bears a toyota badge.
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 08:43   #6
Senior - BHPian

Toeing the separation of registration and location principle I would suggest:

- execute option 3
and
- execute option 2

1. This takes care of your headbang moment of having the Mathura registered car back in Mathura avoiding out of state registration issues at both locations.

2. The DZire should perform well in the hands of a chauffeur and in the lanes of Mathura. Maintenance isn't an issue the only issue would be if you're comfortable in doing a Delhi - Mathura run in the DZire but that, like you said can be managed via a taxi if needed.
The rear seat is quite comfortable if ingress isn't an issue but much better than the climb into the Innova.

3. In Mumbai it would also be a upgrade from the DZire to the Ciaz and more importantly from a MT to a proper AT.

I see it as a win-win for both team Mumbai and team Mathura unless I have missed something without my morning coffee

PS :
The Innova should be exchanged with the HyCross/XUV700 whether using company exchange or selling directly.
The XUV700 should arrive much sooner than Jan 2024, going by on ground data.

Last edited by shancz : 29th October 2022 at 08:48. Reason: added ps
shancz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 10:01   #7
BHPian

A Mathura-registered Maruti Dzire where you also know the dealer personally seems like a good fit for town’s narrow lanes and NCR’s NGT rules. What you buy in Mumbai can be a separate discussion, and need not depend on what is being sent to Mathura.
Comrade is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 11:53   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Keep the Innova and swap it out when you get a 7 seater for Mumbai - either the XUV700 or the Innova Hybrid or any other option that gets your attention at the concerned time.
No point sending it to UP :
1. you will end up borrowing a car for the airport runs as and when needed
2. Older people can find it harder to climb into the car
3. It is now 16 years old - it will give age related maintenance and could be a little more to chew for your grandmother and driver there to handle given you're in Mumbai.

For Mathura, what does make sense is sending the Dzire & picking up the Ciaz for Mumbai - no registration hassles, Dzire is within warranty and will be easy to maintain, and the Ciaz is an auto so will be easier to live with in Mumbai, etc.
The only con is that moving from the Manza - you would probably have some luggage space woes when you travel but if it hasn't been an issue here - it won't be an issue there.

In case the Ciaz (in Mumbai) + Dzire (in Mathura) combo doesn't work out, I would suggest getting a pre-owned Etios VX Petrol and calling it a day. It is basically a Toyota Manza - loads of space, big boot, good ride and handling, good safety, and because of the Toyota badge - maintenance and reliability is assured.
If this doesn't work out, the Ciaz and S-Cross would also be some good options to consider - they're superior cars to the popular Dzire & Balenos but not as popular - so getting a good deal on one will be far more likely than the nearly Zero Depreciation Dzire / Balenos.

Avoid a high run / old / CNG converted car like the SX4 : Not worth the headache.
lamborghini is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 19:40   #9
BHPian

If budget no issue then I’d do this.

Scrap the Manza and get dZire back in Mathura.

Buy Ciaz to replace the Maruti.

Keep Innova as long as you can or maybe get it converted to Type 4 ( it’s pretty popular these days), pick up XUV700/New Innova once Innova is at end of life.
turbowhistle is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 23:44   #10

This is what I would do.

SX4 in Mathura is a good option. This will be a proper beater car for next 3 years atleast. Since it will be managed by a third person why to risk a new Dzire at the mercy of a driver.

When you plan to scrap SX4 in Mathura in next 3 years you will have Dzire which could be finishing 6 years and more miles added to it. You will have this ready for Mathura and Delhi NCR at that point in time.

Hold on to Innova. Its a workhorse. As highlighted in the thread do a type 4 conversion you are all set to put your foot down on the accelerator with a brand new look. Since you say it is in good condition, use it for as long as it serves you right (with proper maintenance).
War4Car is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 23:49   #11

This is what I would do.

SX4 in Mathura - Serves as a beater car for next 3 years. By the time you decide to scrap SX4, your Dzire would have munched more miles and can replace SX4.
Why to risk a new Dzire at the hands of a third person. Its still new from 2020.

Hold on to Innova. Its a workhorse. As suggested above do a type conversion and you are all set to go with a brand new look.
Old 30th October 2022, 08:52   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Sending the DZire to Mathura looks like the logical option, as others have suggested. Only point to check IMO is if the wheel chair can fit in some where, with sufficient space for your grandmother to sit in comfort.

I'd go with with majority regarding getting a Ciaz AT for Mumbai, and changing the Innova in due course when you can.
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2022, 21:28   #13
BHPian

Given the poll results its not much of a brainer where everyone is heading, what keeps surprising me is the mighty waiting periods of XUV7OO in numerous posts. These are the kind of timelines parents in India would allude for marrying their kids off.

Mods, please remove the post if it doesn't adds much value but couldn't help writing seeing another 2024 delivery of XUV7OO
Old 2nd November 2022, 18:22   #14
BHPian

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GForceEnjoyer View Post
Perhaps a used Ertiga/XL6 as suggested above?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Cant think of any better car than Ertiga/XL6,
This is a good suggestion. I'll look out for an Ertiga or XL6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
However I wouldnt recommend buying the Ciaz.
Can you elaborate, please? What could be a con of buying the Ciaz?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I have personally seen that old people do struggle with the Innova and find it to be a bit of a climb to get in so definitely don't bother sending it to your hometown.
Do you think a footboard can help alleviate this? But I get your larger point around this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
- execute option 3
and
- execute option 2
Thanks, it seems like the best option in the circumstances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post

The only con is that moving from the Manza - you would probably have some luggage space woes when you travel but if it hasn't been an issue here - it won't be an issue there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Sending the DZire to Mathura looks like the logical option, as others have suggested. Only point to check IMO is if the wheel chair can fit in some where, with sufficient space for your grandmother to sit in comfort.
The space constraint of the Dzire (cabin + boot) is the biggest negative of sending the Dzire over to UP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post

In case the Ciaz (in Mumbai) + Dzire (in Mathura) combo doesn't work out, I would suggest getting a pre-owned Etios VX Petrol and calling it a day.

If this doesn't work out, the Ciaz and S-Cross would also be some good options to consider
Great suggestion. I'll see if I can find some good samples. The S-Cross might end up being a bit expensive though.

P.S. @NTO: Thanks for voting on all the options. That was helpful

Last edited by mpthy : 2nd November 2022 at 18:29. Reason: Grammar
mpthy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2023, 09:28   #15
BHPian

Quick update on this topic:

1. The Manza has been scrapped.
2. The Innova has been replaced by a HyCross in Mumbai.
3. I’m without a car in Mathura. Looking out for a used Maruti in the local market. Last option would be to send the Dzire to Mathura and get a replacement here.
mpthy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks