Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What would be a sensible upgrade?
Keep Rapid, sell duster and buy New Ignis AMT or pre owned jazz cvt for dad 8 38.10%
Sell both cars and buy automatic Ignis/jazz for dad and pre owned compass manual/xuv700 5 seater for myself 1 4.76%
Keep both cars and hire a chauffer for dad 11 52.38%
Other 1 4.76%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2023, 20:42   #1
BHPian

Need help to reshuffle my garage

Need suggestions for my shuffling my Garage.

Here's my dilemma:
Few months ago my dad started experiencing leg pain and was diagnosed with AVN (it requires a total hip replacement for people who don't know). So he finds it difficult to drive a manual car or a low seated car because of low ingress and egress.
Therefore, we need a car which is comfortable for him and will be used 90% in the city only.

Our current garage:
Renault Duster 2014: 100k kilometers on odo, i bought it used in 2018. This car is mainly used by dad in city for office to home commute, and on our family trips too. I bought this car used in 2018 and I love how it rides on broken roads. replaced all tires at 50k and all shock absorbers at 96k. Works like a charm.

Skoda Rapid 1.5 TDI DSG: 30k kilometers on odo. This is used 100% by me.

Due to dad's condition i was thinking if replacing one of the two or both cars, and here are my options:

1. Keep Rapid, sell duster and buy New Ignis AMT or pre owned jazz cvt for dad

2. Sell both cars and buy automatic Ignis/jazz for dad and pre owned compass manual/xuv700 5 seater for myself

3. Keep both cars and hire a chauffer for dad

4. Other

Please suggest if there are any other better options.
Thanks

Last edited by Heisenberg_ad : 1st January 2023 at 21:04. Reason: Poll from previous post.
Heisenberg_ad is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st January 2023, 22:10   #2
BHPian

Re: Need help to reshuffle my garage

First of all, I don’t think your dad will like the seating of Jazz moving from a Duster. So I will say that sell the Duster & buy a used automatic Creta or a petrol Brezza/UC AT. Rapid hasn’t run much and can be replaced after 2-3 years.
Aakash118 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2023, 03:00   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aakash118 View Post
First of all, I don’t think your dad will like the seating of Jazz moving from a Duster. So I will say that sell the Duster & buy a used automatic Creta or a petrol Brezza/UC AT. Rapid hasn’t run much and can be replaced after 2-3 years.
Even I'm more inclined towards not selling the rapid. So basically duster would be replaced with an automatic. I personally dont like old brezza because of 4 speed TC.

Why do you think dad won't like the seating of jazz? What do you think of the Ignis?

I'm also looking for creta AT but unable to find one with less mileage, and the ones with less mileage are priced obnoxiously high. Any other automatic options to consider within 10L budget?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 2nd January 2023 at 14:33. Reason: spacing or improved readability
Heisenberg_ad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2023, 06:24   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Suggest a step-by-step approach: Hire a driver for dad, see how it works out. If you find a good driver, and dad & you all are comfortable, you can continue. This will give also give you time to think it over.

Duster's got a good ride, and I assume that your dad is comfortable in the car. The Rapid is too new to be sold. Between the two, if you really have to sell, then I think the Duster goes, more due to getting a decent price for the car due to its age.
condor is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2023, 08:51   #5
BHPian

I feel you should sell the Duster and get a newer crossover. 100k kms up, I feel it is the perfect time for a replacement. As far as my personal experience goes, Harrier's rear space is pretty good. But I would not recommend it primarily for the shoddy reliability it has on offer. Something like XUV700 or Hyryder will be a good bet IMO.

Or hiring a chauffer and see how things go. Even if you hire a chauffer I feel the Duster has to go for something newer.

Happy shopping!
saikishor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2023, 10:19   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikishor View Post
Something like XUV700 or Hyryder will be a good bet IMO.
I'm keeping a budget of 9-11L.

So I'm considering automatic jazz, Ignis, and creta diesel.

Are there any other cars that i should consider?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 2nd January 2023 at 14:33. Reason: spacing or improved readability
Heisenberg_ad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2023, 11:55   #7
BHPian

These are a few other options that I found on olx.
http://www.olx.in/item/renault-duste...iid-1715481760

http://www.olx.in/item/maruti-suzuki...iid-1714298552

http://www.olx.in/item/hyundai-creta...iid-1711056742

http://www.olx.in/item/maruti-suzuki...iid-1714967220

http://www.olx.in/item/hyundai-santa...iid-1712283528

Are any of these worthy considerations?

Last edited by Heisenberg_ad : 2nd January 2023 at 12:01. Reason: Clicked 'Post' instead of preview
Old 2nd January 2023, 13:42   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

In addition to the Creta, I would also look at the Urban Cruiser / Vitara Brezza & the S-Cross Petrol Automatic. These would be newer models as compared to the Creta which has high resale value.

If you can, skip changing the rapid & extend the budget to allow for a Kushaq 1.0TSi Automatic base trim, that could be a great replacement; and you could probably work out a deal on the car.
I'd have suggested a pre-owned Compass automatic ideally but at that budget (14-15L) the only automatic would be the 1.4 petrol with the not so great DCT.
lamborghini is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2023, 14:03   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Kushaq 1.0TSi Automatic base trim.
Kushaq base automatic costs 16L+ in my town.

I'm not looking to spend that much for now, but even if i had that budget I'd buy seltos diesel AT and save on running costs.

This car would be mainly used in city and sometimes as a beater too, so safety isnt a priority for now.

I'm sticking to 10L +-15%.

I'm considering brezza though. Couldnt find any urban cruiser AT in my state.

Old 2nd January 2023, 20:48   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg_ad View Post

Why do you think dad won't like the seating of jazz? What do you think of the Ignis?

?
Jazz’s ingress will be quite low which can be a problem for him. Ignis will better in this regard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg_ad View Post
These are a few other options that I found on olx.
None of these looks impressive to me, most are AMTs and Creta is overpriced. I will not suggest you to buy a used AMT at all. Brezza/S-Cross 1.5 ATs are the best suited for you. Also look for a Duster CVT. It will be tough to find but will be a very good choice.
Old 2nd January 2023, 21:05   #11
BHPian

If the duster is problem free, and you are not conscious about running an old car like the Duster, then the obvious answer would be getting a chauffeur for your dad, and keeping both cars for now. This way money is saved (unless you are looking at this as an excuse to buy a new vehicle) :-D

More importantly, as you pointed out that your dad will need a hip replacement sometime in the future, he anyways won't be able to drive for at least some amount of time.You can defer the purchase of a new vehicle after he has recovered, so that a vehicle can be purchased depending on his level of comfort, which could be
1. fully recovered - any manual or automatic that he likes will be an option
2. Partially recovered - will need an automatic and tall vehicle, but options are available
3. Partially recovered in a way that he continues requiring a chauffeur.
kosjam is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2023, 23:07   #12
BHPian

If you can afford to wait for a few months, then wait for the Citroen C3 Automatic to launch. It has a really good ride quality and I guess will be a good buy at this price point !
Old 3rd January 2023, 15:59   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

The Rapid can stay with you for now. The Duster can be replaced with a new Celerio AT or a Wagon R AT. Both these have seating ergonomics that could be easier for both ingress and egress.
Old 3rd January 2023, 19:19   #14
BHPian

I voted for "Keep both cars and hire a chauffer for dad". Since your dad has a medical condition, reserve the Duster for him. Duster's magic carpet drive would keep him comfortable after surgery. If I were you, I would keep both cars.
pranavGTI is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2023, 20:41   #15
BHPian

Thank you guys.
The comments were helpful. Got more clarity of what i must do.
Keeping both cars for now, while passively looking for new launches. I might sell it if i find a steal deal in the pre owned market.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks