Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2007, 00:19   #1

Buying an Alto (should i xchange my OMNI)

Hi BHPians,

I am planning to go for Alto base model (already own an OMNI 95 model). budget is 2.5 lacs max. Anyways in Kerala , A/C is not a necessity. i am going for it for fuel efficiency , adequate power,cheap and easy to maintain.easy to park etc...

Now its ONAM in Kerala. Soon expecting some good Onam Offers. currently i will get Rs 7500 off and some standard basic acessories as a package.

bhpians from kerala, pls let me kno what was last years Onam offer (for alto)

a couple of my friends are also interested. so will they give some more discount for 3 peole together. i talked to them and said like if its above 5 they may give some discount like free insurance or something.

what would like to know if there is any problem with Alto or any new replacement in near future like this year...

Can i add A/C sometime later and how much it will cost . how good it will be as it is not factory fitted.

Should i exchange my OMNI for it??

My OMNI (95 model Petrol) has done 117000 km in 12 yrs. True value personnel has evaluated it at Rs 52000. i was asking for more as i had spent Rs 13000 for changing the front suspension and steering assembly(tie rod etc). also a pair of wheels. what kind of major maintainance work like engine overhaul can i expect if i keep it for another couple of years. how much would it cost me.
Old 2nd August 2007, 00:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidharths84 View Post
Hi BHPians,

I am planning to go for Alto base model (already own an OMNI 95 model). budget is 2.5 lacs max. Anyways in Kerala , A/C is not a necessity. i am going for it for fuel efficiency , adequate power,cheap and easy to maintain.easy to park etc...

Now its ONAM in Kerala. Soon expecting some good Onam Offers. currently i will get Rs 7500 off and some standard basic acessories as a package.

bhpians from kerala, pls let me kno what was last years Onam offer (for alto)

a couple of my friends are also interested. so will they give some more discount for 3 peole together. i talked to them and said like if its above 5 they may give some discount like free insurance or something.

what would like to know if there is any problem with Alto or any new replacement in near future like this year...

Can i add A/C sometime later and how much it will cost . how good it will be as it is not factory fitted.

Should i exchange my OMNI for it??

My OMNI (95 model Petrol) has done 117000 km in 12 yrs. True value personnel has evaluated it at Rs 52000. i was asking for more as i had spent Rs 13000 for changing the front suspension and steering assembly(tie rod etc). also a pair of wheels. what kind of major maintainance work like engine overhaul can i expect if i keep it for another couple of years. how much would it cost me.
52 thousand for a 95 model 117000 km and 12 year old omni from a true value shop Raise To N..Dude you are already getting a very very good price for the omni considering its a true value shop.

Engine overhaul will cost u around 13000 for the half engine option which maruti is offering.
Also minus the A/C in the base model of the alto u also do not get the power steering.
Old 2nd August 2007, 01:09   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
52 thousand for a 95 model 117000 km and 12 year old omni from a true value shop Raise To N..Dude you are already getting a very very good price for the omni considering its a true value shop.
I second that. It is a good price and if you don't have any sentimental value attached to the van, you should probably push it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Also minus the A/C in the base model of the alto u also do not get the power steering.
You can live without the A/C however driving a non p/s alto can be tiresome. It is not as easy as the omni.
Old 2nd August 2007, 01:12   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidharths84 View Post

AFAIK the alto is good VFM and knowing Maruthi I don't expect a replacement for the alto for the next decade.
Old 2nd August 2007, 08:29   #5

just for my information, is it possible to add a PS to an alto or any other non PS car. i beleive the construction of all versions are the same and differ only with the PS system. If i can add a PS system to an Alto how will it costs me.
Old 2nd August 2007, 09:08   #6
Senior - BHPian

PS can be added to the alto at a later date also.

@humyum & fiery...guys, the omni is in great demand in smaller towns & 52k is not a great price for a 1995, i believe it can fetch much more.
Old 2nd August 2007, 11:42   #7
Senior - BHPian

They gave a good price for omni. We got 45k in Delhi for 9.5 year old m800 base, with CNG (70p/km running!!) just some 88k on the odo! Without CNG it was about 7k lesser - so much for True Value!!

Alto LXi is wortht he purchase. The power steering and AC etc are pretty useful and well worth it. Adding piecemeal later is just a lotta headache. And Alto engine sweats under the OEM AC. what will happen with aftermarket is anyone's guess.
Old 2nd August 2007, 21:15   #8

Hi all,

how can i differentiate a car with I-CAT and old car. is there some device or somethimg where we insert the key or anything written on the key.
is there some way to identify that the car has I-CAT?????.
i haven't just seen this new thing...

well will know tomorrow regarding the new offers for ONAM....
Old 3rd August 2007, 00:22   #9
BHPian

Try to get a better price for the omni elsewhere and get the alto with ps+ac, though. Even if you don't use the ac for cooling it will be very useful in defogging in the monsoon.
Old 3rd August 2007, 00:44   #10
Team-BHP Support

sidharths84, strictly speaking your thread is in the wrong section. For you and everyone else here, please do not post in What Car when you have already decided the "What Car" part of it. You are not at all seeking any advice on which car to go for. Neither are the replies related to car/cars that you could buy/consider. You should have found out an Alto related thread in the regular section and posted your query there.

However I will let this one ride for this once. Or maybe I will move it later...
Old 3rd August 2007, 00:53   #11
Senior - BHPian

please atleast drive the alto std before buying one. getting a power steering fitted afterwards will be a costly affair.
Old 3rd August 2007, 03:07   #12
BHPian

i drive the alto Std( no one knew that did they )
getting a power steering fitted later is not a costly affair it will cost you 8000 rs lesser.
for EPS 22000 rs from the showroom itself.
air conditioning 19000 rs from the showroom as well!

ALSO take note IMPORTANT!
make sure they give you jktyre and not MRF - presurise them to give the JK,s
Old 3rd August 2007, 08:13   #13
Senior - BHPian

Its better to go for AC at least if not PS. If u want more discounts u can go for the Alto X-FUN model which has been discontinued by Maruti but its available in Popular with some attractive discounts. If u are not interested in the X-FUN then try to avoid Popular agency & opt for Indus/Hercules or Sarathy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xinome View Post
ALSO take note IMPORTANT!
make sure they give you jktyre and not MRF - presurise them to give the JK,s

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks