Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2007, 19:51   #1
BANNED

ALTO or ZEN..plz suggest

Im planning to go for a car . mostly single Driven at times 2 or 3 would travel. monthly 400-500 KMs in city & about 300-450 in hiways. mixed 900-1000km per month.
looking for COMFORTABLE drive mainly w/o any body or back ache / good mileage /easy maintenance .
New ALTO LX seems to be available for about about 2.85 for LAC - after maruti offer ( is LXi must for my requirements which is around 3.05lak ) .Reg ALTO im concerned about its report on avg AC & not moving easily in HILLY places when AC is on..but nice to know about its mileage 13-14 city .option 2- Used ZEN LX , LXis ( like 2001 2002 or 2003 available between 1.5 to 2.25 ) is good in PICK UP but the reports about its mileage are very much varied ( 10 11 12 in city ) and seating is not as good as ALTO which i think may be bit stressful for long journey.
so looking for BHPians opinion & suggestions. one more point im not very keen to keep this vehice 1 OR 1 and a half year unless the VEHICLE makes me to keep it meaning if it is TOO GOOD to me .
If ALTO gest Better recommendation i MAY go for USED ..in case if it would serve my purpose. TIA
Old 16th August 2007, 00:03   #2
BHPian

Zen is anyday more comfortable than the Alto, about mileage, mine is a 99 Carb model and I get 10-10.5 with A/C all the time.
If you come across a very good second hand Zen then, that would be any day better than a Alto, but then this is my view. I find the Alto too cramped, not to say that Zen is too big, but compared to the Alto, it's much better.
Old 16th August 2007, 00:47   #3
BHPian

I find the zen as cramped at the rear as the alto, maybe even more. For 2 people the zen would be better. Make sure that you find a car in good condition.
Old 16th August 2007, 01:15   #4
BHPian

Since you're using it for around 1000 km per month, I would recommend a new car, and not a second hand car - even if it is a more powerful one. I say so because the most important thing for a high usage vehicle is that it should be trouble-free, and a second hand car will come with its share of repairs, however small.

The Alto is a good car for its price, it can ferry 3-4 adults with a/c if you aren't doing a Schumacher (read 'driving fast'). It offers good mileage, and soaks up our roads pretty well.
Only the basic version of the Indica Xeta comes close in terms of price (3.3 lac on-road, if I'm not mistaken). You get a bigger car, more comfortable, but FE isn't as good as an Alto.
Old 16th August 2007, 01:22   #5
BHPian

Zen over Alto any day!
Try to find the latest model,2005 or those manufactured just before its closure because it is a great VFM car.
The 993cc mpfi engine is an all aluminium engine which is the best made by maruti so far.

I have a 2002 zen (driven 79000 km and still very smooth ), And searching for another one for my wife.I do not find any of the current hatchbacks exciting & VFM.
Best FE so far : 22 km/ltr. with 50% AC on a 600 km trip to JAMMU driving at 80-100 km/hr
Average FE :15 km/ltr.with 80% AC on in delhi traffic

I am waiting for the launch of GRAND PUNTO/HONDA JAZZ/TOYOTA's & VW's small car for my next upgrade as i find 3 box car unsuitable for evegrowing delhi traffic.
Still i would retain one of the zens.
So, take your decision ALTO or ZEN !
Old 16th August 2007, 01:25   #6
BHPian

I have a Zen and have driven an alto at times and would any day recommend a Zen, its feels more roomy inside as opposed to the crampy feel of the Alto, plus its much better to drive.

Having said that it's always better to by a new car, have you considered the Wagon-R, It could suit your current needs.
Old 16th August 2007, 01:31   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
Only the basic version of the Indica Xeta comes close in terms of price (3.3 lac on-road, if I'm not mistaken). You get a bigger car, more comfortable, but FE isn't as good as an Alto.
Actually you are mistaken on the first count. Xeta GLG which is the second from the top (GLX is the top end) and is pretty well loaded comes for 3.35 roughly. The next model GLS which features PS and AC (no defoggers and PW) comes for less than 3.3 on road. So there.

About FE, only an 800 can beat the Alto FE. However Xeta is not very far off in terms of FE. In city, with a light accelerator, you do get a very consistent 13kmpl with 70%-80% AC.
Old 16th August 2007, 06:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shapath View Post
If ALTO gest Better recommendation i MAY go for USED ..in case if it would serve my purpose. TIA
If you are going for used car and you a good zen, just go for it...second choice go for AltoLXi (it has a very good PS)

Now if you account for mileage, Alto beats everybody !

If you are thinking of a new car with space, go for Xeta or WagonR Duo (but u have to stretch your budget)

Abhi
Old 16th August 2007, 08:52   #9
BHPian

the zen is no doubt a fantastic car but for 1000km/month i'd suggest you go in for a new car. maintenance hassles are bound to be there in a used car no matter how good.

an interesting option would be the indica xeta. loads of space, tata service back-up, good feature set, and quite comfortable. efficiency if not as good as the alto isnt too far behind.

if i wanted a cheapy comfy car i'l take the xeta. if i wanted a zippy city bug i'd take the alto anyday.
Old 16th August 2007, 09:57   #10
BANNED

Alto is 800cc Zen is 993cc, Go for Zen, as it Rocks anytime, Driving Alto is like driving under power car Since you will be driving 1000 km/month, You will need good car with AC. Go for AC , In 2.25 lakhs you can get 2003 End good zen car

Regards.
Jitendra
Old 26th August 2007, 16:59   #11
BANNED

reg nicejits ZEN Quote. You are right

Hai nicejits.
There is one ZEN LX 2003 very well maintained with about 30k km is about 2.25 thro MY TVS with 1 year warranty for Engine & GearBox. Thought of informing this cause nicejits quote is almost ON dot reg chennai price though he is mumbai
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicejits View Post
Alto is 800cc Zen is 993cc, Go for Zen, as it Rocks anytime, Driving Alto is like driving under power car Since you will be driving 1000 km/month, You will need good car with AC. Go for AC , In 2.25 lakhs you can get 2003 End good zen car

Regards.
Jitendra
Old 27th August 2007, 02:24   #12
BHPian

Used Zen anyday. Look for an mpfi if u can shell out around 1.75-2 lacs for a decent model. superb car and better than an alto NE-DAY
Old 27th August 2007, 06:43   #13
BHPian

The new look ZEN Estilo is better when compared to ALTO. But if you are looking for used ZEN, my suggestion will be in favour of a new ALTO. You get amazing mileage and nice city driving pleasure with ALTO.

Last edited by goldsun : 27th August 2007 at 06:44.
Old 27th August 2007, 09:01   #14
BHPian

Since you are in Chennai and the AC usage is high, I would recommend a Zen. If you can find a good used Zen, close your eyes and take that. Alto is a good car but with 3 people and AC, might be tough on an uphill.
Old 27th August 2007, 09:31   #15
BANNED

Shapath,

In Mumbai I bought Nov 2003 Zen Vxi.. for 2.25 three months back only! This car is BOMB, It Rocks anytime, earlier I had M800 it was very underpower car! I have completed more than 3250km in two moths, I am very happy with its perfomance! In Mumbai Zen LX will be available @ 1.75lakhs, I strongly suggest go for Vxi, if budget is constraint then go for LXi... try to negotiate with dealer
Keep us posted on developments

Regards,
Jitendra

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks