Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2007, 11:36   #1
Senior - BHPian

Used 2nd car help - zen vs 800 vs Gypsy

Weird set of options I know - but here's the thoughts and requirements:

* Wife's getting into a line of work which needs cross-city commutes 2-3 days of the week, with laptop and probably some material, and some co-passengers once in a while. (RWH kinda work)
* We may be doing something that needs us to be in Coorg once in a few days, and even explore some of the back roads.
* Bikes are great for me but she's not too comfy riding in the rain/slush, long distances. And I'm a little paranoid about a 30kms one-way commute for her on a regular basis.

Basically, the thought occurred that a good 800 kitted out with LPG will be cheaper, more convenient than autos/Volvos, more flexible, weatherproof and safer than bikes.

Next - why not a very old Zen ? Had a 93 beauty between 1998-2001, and loved it.

And finally, esp because of the Coorg angle (tho there are reasonable roads where we're planning to go often) the Gypsy! The allure of the thing added to the possibility too

Budget: 1-1.25, including LPG work. Don't care too much about power. Reliability is important, as are low running costs (LPG-ability?). Don't mind giving up on boot space etc.

Or are used Indicas a more practical, boring option ?

P.S. I did go through ALL the gypsy threads (lovved them), zin + lpg discussions, but I need to choose *between* them and you guys always have a great set of points-to-ponder that helps decisions...

Last edited by zenx : 24th August 2007 at 11:38.
Old 24th August 2007, 13:08   #2
BHPian

Even me too in the same plan with the same kind of budget. Any suggestions please.
Old 24th August 2007, 13:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

I would anyday vouch for a Zen. as it is sleeker, faster and safer. You even have AC in it, which a Gypsy does not have, and an 800 is sluggish with.
Old 24th August 2007, 13:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

i would tend to beleieve, rear seat comfort and space and ride quality wud also be important if ur wife is going to be in the rear seat and working on a lap top also with ppl to accompany

not sure whether zen and 800 would serve the purpose in that case....gypsy ride is also bad on good roads -....

why not an ambassador, used mahindra armada or other models from their stable
Old 24th August 2007, 13:42   #5
BHPian

You can even consider very old palios.
Old 24th August 2007, 13:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
i would tend to beleieve, rear seat comfort and space and ride quality wud also be important if ur wife is going to be in the rear seat and working on a lap top also with ppl to accompany

not sure whether zen and 800 would serve the purpose in that case....gypsy ride is also bad on good roads -....

why not an ambassador, used mahindra armada or other models from their stable
Thanks. Nah she's going to be driving. Rear seat comfort isn't that big a deal. How bad are Gypsys really on average to decent roads - worse than BMTC buses (for the sake of a benchmark) or autos - which is one alternative ?

Ambys etc - too scared about maintenance, etc. And I myself have found them a pain to drive. The Zen does sound like the best bet cause we've driven one earlier, and drive a City otherwise. But the Gypsy sounds so coool
Old 24th August 2007, 14:50   #7
BHPian

ZENX , for 1-1.25 lakh you might not get a decent zen, so i think 800 would be a best bet and also as u said your wife is going to drive, GYPSY would be pretty bad selection......

try to get hold of a good mruti 800 5speed, its powerful so after LPG conversion it will not become tooo sluggish.

happy motoring..........................
Old 24th August 2007, 15:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
How bad are Gypsys really on average to decent roads - worse than BMTC buses (for the sake of a benchmark) or autos - which is one alternative ?
Gypsy's ride would be closer to that on autos than on BMTC buses.
Old 25th August 2007, 05:06   #9
BHPian

dont go for a gypsy man. its gear shift is aweful, and the pathetic ride, and interiors :(
go for a carburetter zen, i sold mine 1998 model in chd for 110000 so u can lay hands on a pretty decent one at 1.25-1.35
Old 28th September 2007, 21:20   #10
Senior - BHPian

A 1995 800 (aftermkt AC fitted - purportedly a good one) available for 80k, and a 2000 zen (around 62k kms) for 1.6ish.
Also a 1998/9 Esteem Vx for 1.5L.
usage: between 250-300kms a week.
[ I'm also wondering if just running the City @ 11kmpl is that much more expensive than an 800 at 15kmpl if its not on LPG - given that conversion costs 20 k over and above the car's prices. Its a max saving of some 5-8k a year ? Or am I missing something ? ]
Old 28th September 2007, 21:47   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
A 1995 800 (aftermkt AC fitted - purportedly a good one) available for 80k, and a 2000 zen (around 62k kms) for 1.6ish.
Also a 1998/9 Esteem Vx for 1.5L.
usage: between 250-300kms a week.
[ I'm also wondering if just running the City @ 11kmpl is that much more expensive than an 800 at 15kmpl if its not on LPG - given that conversion costs 20 k over and above the car's prices. Its a max saving of some 5-8k a year ? Or am I missing something ? ]
zenx, I think you are looking at used car dealers...the prices are high. Look for a direct seller, you will save money and can use the saved money to do the repairs. Dont trust ANY of the used car dealers in Bangalore, I have done lot of research (for 2-3 months) before buying a 96 M800 with A/C 3 days ago. I got a well maintained one from the direct seller for Rs.65,000
Old 12th October 2007, 15:49   #12
Senior - BHPian

Go for Zen. It is nice to ride and handle (you may know as you already had one). If you buy LXI and above which comes with P/W and A/C, I feel, your wife will not have to put too much pressure to rotate the steering...
Old 12th October 2007, 17:57   #13
Senior - BHPian

Get a 5 speed maruti 800 ...best bet...u ll get a decent one for a lakh and below and its cheap to maintain/has a very good mileage and u can neglect the cng/lpg part as there wont be much savings there anway as the cng kit is going to be around 20 k to install

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks