Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2007, 17:29   #1
BHPian

Maruti 800 upgrade

Dear Forum,
I currently own a Maruti 800 2003 STD model and have it for the last 4 yrs ,done hardly 26,000 kms without absolutely no problems.Now however I am missing the extra boot space and driving comfort during long trips .I Will be thinking of a new car in 6 months time.Any suggestions.I have filled up the below checklist
Cars short listed -none as the maruti is my first car
Price range- upto 5 lakhs

Maintenance & After Sales Service (A.S.S.) expectations- should be good and available easily.

Average distance traveled per month- 1000 kms + occasional 900 kms ( 2 way) trips every 3 months
Where car will be mostly used:city, rough roads
It will be self driven
Any specific requirements from car : Better luggage space,rear seat comfort
How long you intend on keeping this car: for at least 4 years .

Thanks in advance,
Fergus
Old 24th August 2007, 19:43   #2
BHPian

Many of us will be able to provide you suggestion if you come up with more preferences.

If you want to stick with Maruti and budget below 5 L then it's Esteem that can foot your bill since you want a boot. It's showing is age but it's VFM. Once you get used to it, you won't like any hatchbacks.

Ford ICON can also meet your requirement since your monthly run is very less.

Hyundai has Accent GLE but it will be little above 5 L.

Tata Indigo Petrol / Diesel can also fit your bill but you may not get king like treatment in their service shop.

Mahindra Logan Petrol if you stretch little bit.

You can have more options if you bit loosen up your purse string or forget boot and settle for premium hatchback. I would recommand you against that since you specifically require boot space.

Last edited by nispatel : 24th August 2007 at 19:46.
Old 25th August 2007, 03:21   #3
BHPian

Where is Mahad?
Do you have all dealerships /service stations there?
That would narrow your list as A.S.S is importanct for you.
Boot and rear space? You looking only at a Sedan? or will a Hatch do? UVA comes to mind. Lots of space and comes shorn with tubeless tires and withing your budget. All the promise makes it more attractive.

Palio 1.6 will also be good.

Sedans - Esteem comes just at 5 Las OTR after discounts here in Bangy.

What about FE? Performance? Not particular?
Nimz
Old 25th August 2007, 04:51   #4
BHPian

esteem or ford ikon flair. With the current discounts zooming, ford ikon should be good for a 5 lac budget. its comfortable and strong with proven rocam engine.
For newer rides, u can choose getz/swift, although boot space is very less in swift.
Old 25th August 2007, 10:08   #5
BHPian

Thanks Guys its great to have such informative BHPians around.I am posting below individual queries and thank you all for your quick responses.

Nimz-Mahad is a town on the Mumbai Goa highway about 170 kms before Mumbai.We have a Maruti dealership in Mahad but its not that good.I get my servicing done at another place in Mahad.Well I am quite used to FE as my Maruti gives me 18kpl on highway.Any narrowing down on the choices with reagrds to FE and boot space and riding comfort.Actually I am talking about riding comfort after a very bumpy ride to Pune from Mahad via Tamhini Ghat.I wonder if any of you guys have gone that way to Pune.
Does the Esteem have power steering and is the rear seat ride comfortable over bumpy roads as well

Ashwin -any idea of the on road price of getz and the Ikon flair and what is its FE

nispatel-Is it true that Ford Ikon servicings are pretty expensive.What is the FE of the Accent GLE-its a petrol version is it.
Thanks all of you and have a great weekend,
Fergus
Old 25th August 2007, 12:50   #6
BHPian

Why don't you TD all the car short listed (Esteem and Ikon) and see the outcome against your requirement
Old 25th August 2007, 13:33   #7
Team-BHP Support

Are you planning to sell off your M800? That may also have an impact on the choice of your car. If you are planning to keep the M800 then you can have a more versatile range to choose from. FE should not hamper your choice. For regular day to day running (where distances are not much) you may wish for good FE and use the M800 whereas once you hit the highway for long drives the bigger, comfortable car may take over.

However if you are planning to sell off the M800 then the new car will take over as the primary car. In that case FE will also become an important criteria as you said you have got habituated to the M800 kind of economy figures.
Old 27th August 2007, 02:19   #8
BHPian

Ikon Flair is around 4.75 lacs ex showroom, so it should be around 5 lacs on road. Flair wud be a better coice than esteem if u r looking for rear seat comfort,ride quality and stronger build. esteem is quite agile on road, but when it comes to ride quality, safety and design, its quite old and flair has an edge here.

Getz is a decent car too, if u can live without a boot. Its modern, strong build, very spacious(even better than an ikon), and quite roomy and nice interiors.
Getz ex showroom price for the 1.3 GLS model is 489800 rs. So its approx 5 lacs on road too.
If u need a more modern car(as ikon and esteem are on the verge of extinction), go for a Getz. It has good power(1.3 version), ok fuel efficiency, hyundai A.S.*, and looks and moderniy to boast.

take uyour pick man.

I would not suggest an esteem today, as its the same old wine being served again and again. Moreover, everone would agree that ride quality and seating comfort is at its minimum so take your pick from ikon flair and getz.
Old 27th August 2007, 09:59   #9
BHPian

Thanks ashwin any ideas what is the FE of ikon flair ,hyundai getz.Is it true that the Ford after sales service is very expensive?
Old 27th August 2007, 10:23   #10
BANNED

Fergus,

Go for Esteem thats a best car for you ! it gives great vales for money, good Boot and decent FE and as car is form Maruti’s desk so no service
issues !

Regards,
Jitendra
Old 27th August 2007, 10:39   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergus View Post
Dear Forum,
I currently own a Maruti 800 2003 STD model and have it for the last 4 yrs ,done hardly 26,000 kms without absolutely no problems.Now however I am missing the extra boot space and driving comfort during long trips .I Will be thinking of a new car in 6 months time.Any suggestions.I have filled up the below checklist
Cars short listed -none as the maruti is my first car
Price range- upto 5 lakhs

Maintenance & After Sales Service (A.S.S.) expectations- should be good and available easily.

Average distance traveled per month- 1000 kms + occasional 900 kms ( 2 way) trips every 3 months
Where car will be mostly used:city, rough roads
It will be self driven
Any specific requirements from car : Better luggage space,rear seat comfort
How long you intend on keeping this car: for at least 4 years .

Thanks in advance,
Fergus
As you will be driving on rough roads I would say you drop Getz from your list due to its low ground clearance, otherwise the car is pure bliss to drive.
I say this with experience as i own one .

Cheers
Old 27th August 2007, 10:47   #12
Senior - BHPian

The only thing against the esteem is that it in all probability it is in its last phase and would mostly be replaced in the first quarter of next year by the swift sedan[dzire],something you must keep in mind.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 27th August 2007 at 10:55.
Old 27th August 2007, 12:00   #13
BHPian

fergus, flair gives around 10-11 in city and around 13-14 on highways(maybe more)
getz gives just about the same 12-13 in city and 15 on highways.
Old 27th August 2007, 12:11   #14
BHPian

fergus,

given the place you are in, Mahad, it will make lot of sense to go with Maruti - for your case the esteem. will solve your boot space issue too.

you can also think of coming to mumbai when you can and shop for a 2nd hand esteem. there are lots of them around here for sale and in great shape. if you are thinking of a daily use in a semi-rural place like Mahad, and of fuel efficiency, you can look for one with a CNG kit too.

i know a chap very well who does a daily trip from roha to mumbai city everyday with a 4 year old esteem running on CNG for his business, and the car serves him wonderfully well with very less maintenance cost, even during the monsoons - you will know about the road quality around there.

go with truevalue if looking for a second hand.

Last edited by gbpscars : 27th August 2007 at 12:13.
Old 27th August 2007, 15:17   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin_seattle View Post
Ikon Flair is around 4.75 lacs ex showroom, so it should be around 5 lacs on road.
Ikon flair costs 5.49 on road here in bangalore (Got the quote yesterday from cauvery ford). Will get kenwood stereo + 4 speakers and autocop free.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks