Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2007, 11:13   #1
BHPian

Getz or Magnum diesel

I need advice on a good Value For Money car, with a lot of power and pickup, good ride quality and good fuel efficiency.

For those who think my writing is too lengthy, the short question is: Which car is better Getz diesel or Optra Magnum?

Before Magnum diesel got launched, I was eying for Verna diesel. Read a lot of bad comments about the ride quality at high speed. Then magnum diesel was launched. I'm pretty much inclined to buy the LT diesel variant. Then Getz diesel came with the verna engine. I'm now very much inclined to Getz, but I don't know about the ride quality of getz. Very less people talk about it, specially at high speeds and after a few thousand Km running. And I don't know when they will give ABS.

If I imagine a Getz with extra fittings such as leather seats, ABS, air bags and what all that come in Magnum LT, the price difference is hardly 3L. Additionally I get "presumably" more powerful, more luxurious, more space (though I don't need it) and more sturdy build.

I'm in no hurry. I can wait even for Hyundai new Elantra, Fiat Linea, i.e. till mid-2008. But I want a car as powerful as Getz diesel or magnum diesel, without losing the fuel economy. I guess the rest of the qualities will be good in Elantra and Linea also.

Keeping those Elantra and Linea away from the scene right now, which car is better for me Getz diesel or Optra magnum? I wouldn't mind getting less space in Getz to save the extra money or I wouldn't also mind paying the extra money on Magnum to get better ride and better build quality. I just don't want to pay extra if the difference is only the space, which I don't need. In simpler terms, if Magnum had been as small as Getz and priced same as Getz, which one should I choose? Assume fittings like ABS, seat cover, music system, fog lamps, etc are same in both.

I'm not so confident that I can find out the qualities myself from test drive, specially when I have been driving the poorly built India DLS. Everything might just look too good. Please advise.
Old 12th October 2007, 13:00   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
Which car is better Getz diesel or Optra Magnum?
No direct answer. As they are from different price bands. However, if you can afford my opinion is that the Magnum should be better.
Quote:
I'm now very much inclined to Getz, but I don't know about the ride quality of getz.
TD, is the way out!
Quote:
If I imagine a Getz with extra fittings such as leather seats, ABS, air bags and what all that come in Magnum LT, the price difference is hardly 3L.
Getz is priced on the higher side. Also ABS can't be had as an extra fitting! Also, Getz CRDi has airbags? Don't think so!
Quote:
Assume fittings like ABS, seat cover, music system, fog lamps, etc are same in both.
While Optra magnum comes with such features, cant say the same about Getz. If getting Getz, it would be good to wait till Jan/Feb when they might launch a higher versions.
Quote:
I'm not so confident that I can find out the qualities myself from test drive, specially when I have been driving the poorly built India DLS. Everything might just look too good. Please advise.
No car is perfect. Its always better to get what you like! (and not the one we all suggest!)
Old 12th October 2007, 13:09   #3
BHPian

Since you can afford both.. go for the Optra Magnum.
Old 12th October 2007, 13:44   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You might not find all the hidden great virtues of the car you are test-driving, but you will definitely find things that immediately bother you, or immediately impress you.

Except for the finance department, every other department will be happy with Magnum.
Old 12th October 2007, 15:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

Optra Magnum is better any day. If you do not have space constraint at your parking palce, then go for this. As far as the interiors and other things are concerned, Optra definately scores over the Getz.....
Old 13th October 2007, 02:12   #6
BHPian

If you want to buy the car in short period of time then go for Magnum with superb Torque and if you can wait for 2-3 months then i would advise you to wait for Hyundai Elantra. 2.0 VGT and the same engine used in Sonata and it delivers more power and torque than Magnum. along with TCS, BAS, ABS and EBD along with airbags and i think it will be cheaper than Magnum pricewise.
Old 13th October 2007, 08:59   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyundai.Lover View Post
If you want to buy the car in short period of time then go for Magnum with superb Torque and if you can wait for 2-3 months then i would advise you to wait for Hyundai Elantra. 2.0 VGT and the same engine used in Sonata and it delivers more power and torque than Magnum. along with TCS, BAS, ABS and EBD along with airbags and i think it will be cheaper than Magnum pricewise.
The new elantra is unlikely to be cheaper than the magnum. I think it's meant t compete with corolla and civic. Maybe it will end up being a bit cheaper than the civic. But surely it will cost more than the magnum.
Old 13th October 2007, 09:29   #8
Senior - BHPian

Want to save some money and enjoy a good diesel engine? Go for the Getz. The ride is not that bad on the Getz and its got enough space for a hatch.

Want to enjoy a performance car. Pay for it and Get Magnum!!!
Old 13th October 2007, 11:17   #9
BHPian

Buy a brand new Getz CRDi. Get the rear wiper kit + 15" Alloys (with suitable tyres, ofcourse). You get a car that goes like stink for about 7.0 Lacs OTR with the economy of Diesel. With, the spare cash gift yourself a second hand Honda City Vtec / Accent Tornado / Baleno or even better a 600 cc second hand Sports bike like the Honda 600. You have the best of both worlds.

-Harshavardhan
Old 13th October 2007, 12:14   #10
BHPian

The Getz and magnum are in different segments. If you can afford the magnum, then theres no doubt that thats the way to go.
Old 13th October 2007, 13:22   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshavardhan View Post
Buy a brand new Getz CRDi. Get the rear wiper kit + 15" Alloys (with suitable tyres, ofcourse). You get a car that goes like stink for about 7.0 Lacs OTR with the economy of Diesel. With, the spare cash gift yourself a second hand Honda City Vtec / Accent Tornado / Baleno or even better a 600 cc second hand Sports bike like the Honda 600. You have the best of both worlds.
Rear wiper may not be available as kit. As in the case of the Santro, the entire hatch door may have to be changed to fit the rear wiper. So, cost will go up high. It was around 30k for Santro (As per another thread some time back)

Getz CRDi~ 6.6L OTR
New tyres~ 20k.
Alloys~20k.
Rear wiper+hatch door~ 30k.
TOTAL~ 7.3L.

What you still dont get (Getz CRDi)- ABS, airbags, discs at rear, a boot to go with... And you still have own a hatch only!
Old 13th October 2007, 13:33   #12
Senior - BHPian

Get yourself the Magnum and enjoy it. If you want to modify the car then as Mr. Crazy Crazy Driver said : -

Getz CRDi~ 6.6L OTR
New tyres~ 20k.
15" Alloys~20k.
Rear wiper+hatch door~ 30k.
Petes Tunning Box~ 30k
Green Cotton Filter~ 7k
Leather Seats~ 40k
Good ICE~ 30k
TOTAL~ 8.4L

You get a 130bhp, 27KGM powered car for 8.5L, but a Magnum stock has 314NM torque, so with Petes it will be not killer, but super killer!
Old 13th October 2007, 14:01   #13
Senior - BHPian

Its an apple vs orange scenario.

If you have the money, Magnum it is
Old 13th October 2007, 14:42   #14
Senior - BHPian

Oh !!! Without A doubt the Magnum !!

There is just no comparison between the 2 cars !! Also Hyundai seems to have messed up its launch of the Getz Diesel.
Old 13th October 2007, 14:54   #15
Senior - BHPian

It is surprising how you're comparing 2 cars in very different segments. The Magnum is a killer beast. I don't know how the Getz CRDi would be, but I can tell you that given the choice today, I would drive home a sweet Magnum without thinking twice.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks