Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2004, 13:45   #1

Hi All,
I have decided to go the Palio way. I was about to book the Palio 1.2 NV (ELX or Sports), but now I am confused between the Palio D and the Palio NV.
Yeah, I know the golden rule broadcasted everywhere that >1500 for Diesel and <1500 for Petrol. And based on that rule I decided to go for NV.
But from many feedbacks on this and other forums I see that people find NV sluggish with it's 1.2 engine, compared to Palio D. So this lack of performance is keeping me away from making a decesion. Now, people from your experiences will you be able to help me out specially on following points:

*My driving will be about 1000 Kms. average per month (In Delhi and Noida). Pattern will be 15-20 Kms. daily plus 50 kms. on weekends and about 3-4 long trips of 700-1000 Kms. per year.
Still it's 500 Kms. less per month advisable for a diesel. So is it still OK to go for D or not.
*People say that Palio D is more tractable and fast in pick up compared to NV. If this is true I am biased towards D.
*What's maintinence cost of D compared to NV taking care of my *1000 Kms per month avg. driving.
*Even if I don't mind about Rs. 75000 more to spend on D and not able to recover it from fuel costs because of my less driving. I can pay this more for the better response from D engine for pick up and drivability. What you Say??? May be I will go for D-ELPS instead of NV Sports and price difference will come down to justifiable 20000.

NOTE: I want to keep the car for long term >5-7 Yrs.

Any suggestions are welcome.
Thanks.
Old 4th November 2004, 14:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

Palio D is the way to go.

Palio D ELX and Palio NV Sport cost the same. 5.3 lacs on road(Hyderabad prices). But the NV Sport comes with rear spoiler, alloys and wider tyres, leather steering and gear knob, sport pedals.

Palio D, sure has better punch.It has very good torque and is awesome to drive in city in higher gears, AC at full blow. With AC blowing 100%, i get a mileage of 12KM. That is similar to or more than NV.

My D ELX is 2 months old and I have 2500KM on the Odo. A couple of hundreds during the first service is only expence I had so far apart from the fuel bills.

The diff between ELX and ELX-SP is SP comes with driver side airbag, ABS brakes. If you don't mind spending that extra moola for the safety, go for the SP. Also, get the alloys and 175 tyres. Handling improves. The Fiat dealer exchanges the stock wheels with 4 alloys and 5 tyres for 15K-16K. The fifth wheel is steel wheel. But I could manage to exchange the fifth wheel too with the alloy as part of the deal.

Good luck...

Old 4th November 2004, 18:29   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Simple calculations. First, you would be hardly saving Rs.1100 a month in fuel costs by opting for the Palio D. Thus it would take you all of 68 months (or 5.5 years) to recover the additional Rs.75000 premium on the D. And this is not even factoring in interest costs.

Enjoy high revving. Go for the 1.2.

GTO
Old 4th November 2004, 19:10   #4
Team-BHP Support

Tough choice this.

Firstly, have you tested both the 1.2 and the Diesel? If not, then I'd say the first thing to do is do test them and see for youself which one suits you better.

I haven't driven the diesel, but going by what GTO wrote in his review of the Petra D, I really don't think this engine makes for a good buy. I'd rather save a bunch of money on the initial purchase price by going for the 1.2. Also, the price difference between petrol and diesel is closing with every price hike, so in the long run you may not save any money.

However, on the flip side, the diesel would probably hold its resale value better, specially in the North. Aside from that,i don't see much else going for the Diesel.

My choice would be the 1.2 Sport in flaming red or metallic black.

Rt

P.s. I didn't notice satish's post back there. I guess being an actual Palio D owner, he is in the best position to give comments!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks