Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2004, 15:24   #1

Friends,

I am looking for a car in the 5 Lac range.

I drive about 1400 Kms / month with about 50 % in the city.

I had almost finalised on Petra ( after looking at all others Sedans in this range ),when Getz caught my attention.

I need boot very rarely and I plan to sale the car after 4-5 years.

Petra is indeed awsome but Getz also has some charm and a very fresh styling. Also I am worried about Fiat who have better name outside India than even Hyundai, but in India...

I am looking for following,

1) Fuel consumption figures based on experience for both the cars. WOULD PETRA GIVE ABOUT 11 Kmpl FOR THE ABOVE MIX?

2) Would Petra be maintenancewise better for 5 year period ?

3) How will be their resale values after 4-5 years ?

I have driven both the cars and feel rather confused. Pl help.

Incidently I found both the cars extremely drivable with good ride quality ( Petra is little better but has low seat ).

Best regards,
Old 22nd November 2004, 16:26   #2
BHPian

Go for getz. Thats what i'd do!

Looks just superb! I'd think 10 times before buying any Fiat in India!
Old 22nd November 2004, 17:16   #3
BHPian

I second BikerSG. Would put my money on the Getz. Believe me, you don't have took further for a Palio fan (the Petra being that with a boot), but after testing the Getz, I was sold completely.
Old 22nd November 2004, 17:20   #4
Team-BHP Support

Topic moved to Indian Car Scene.

Old 22nd November 2004, 17:39   #5
BHPian

i havent driven the getz yet. and drove the palio only when it was launched a few years ago.

i still recommend the getz over any of fiats offerings (even though i really really liked, and still like, the palio), for the main reason that Fiat has a bad name at after sales and is itself not sure of its future in India.

Hyundai - we all know what their plans are! They are totally gung-ho about the Indian market and I think they are totally committed!
Old 22nd November 2004, 18:09   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]

1) Fuel consumption figures based on experience for both the cars. WOULD PETRA GIVE ABOUT 11 Kmpl FOR THE ABOVE MIX?

2) Would Petra be maintenancewise better for 5 year period ?

3) How will be their resale values after 4-5 years ?
All of your criteria point toward the Getz. It will certainly be more fuel efficient, lower on maintenance and Hyundais do hold their resale values better than the disaster-used Fiats.

GTO
Old 22nd November 2004, 18:17   #7
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest the Getz too, Petra is indeed a great car, but, from atleast the present scenario, the car wouldn't get much of a resale value.
Old 22nd November 2004, 19:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

Like everyone else is saying...go for the getz,

you said you rarely would need a boot...so a smaller car is better to drive in the city. And it would hold its resale value much better than the petra.

Although i would like to add that the petra is a great car...its only because of fiat that its loosing out.

Drifter
Old 22nd November 2004, 20:57   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

well considering what u need and all, GETZ will be a better option
petra is a great car for those on the lookout for a 3box car but if u arent egoistic and dont use the boot often the getz is the car for u
Old 23rd November 2004, 00:55   #10
Senior - BHPian

From your requirement the Getz seems to suit you more than the Petra. Although, as a product, the Petra is a few light years ahead of the Getz. Though I have not driven the Getz I am sure it will not hold a candle to the 100bhp Palio/Petra range of cars. And yea, though Hyundai claims the Getz was made exclusively for Europe, it just doesn't have the solid build or that solid THUNK of the palio/petra. In fact it actually looks flimsy compared to fiat's products. anywaz, just my few thoughts on this. Still i'd say go for Getz.
Europeans give fantastic products but Japanese and Korean's give what the customer wants - I guess thats the secret of their success here.
Old 23rd November 2004, 01:12   #11
Senior - BHPian

i forgot to mention about resale values. Yes, Hyundai's do fetch better re-sale prices than Fiat's but if re-sale price is a major factor then i feel you should wait for a few months. The Getz is too new in the market and is currently going thru the honeymoon phase. Don't get swayed by it's high sales rite now. Remember, even Elantra made a smashing entry into the market. I would say, if u can, hold back for about 3-4 months, by then sales of the Getz should stabilise and we can speculate on re-sale prices half a decade from now.
P.S. I think Getz will soon go the elantra way. Remember, there are better cars coming in. Swift, Skoda Fabia, Palio Multijet to name a few.
Old 23rd November 2004, 12:48   #12
BHPian

my friend has got himself a getz. went for a drive with him last night. it feels quite good.

like most hyundai's engine is crap! but handling is quite good for a hyundai!

my friend has located a dohc tornado engine from a crashed car. he is going to transplant it into the getz soon. will keep y'all posted on any developments on this!
Old 23rd November 2004, 14:43   #13
Team-BHP Support

when will the suzuki swift debut? that looks like an option too.
Old 23rd November 2004, 15:35   #14
BHPian

if the getz came with 100 bhp tornado engine, it could be the best in its class.
Old 23rd November 2004, 16:25   #15

Friends ( GTO, Amit, Drifter, Lombargini and others ),

As you all said my head always decided on Getz, *but the heart is not disciplined enough to agree and hence this whole effort.

Incidently I have driven both Getz and Petra for about 50 Kms each and done some severe braking / acceleration ( top speed not so high @ about 125 KPH ).

Both cars are wonderful.

Getz is not as bad as some think ( Amit ? ). It weighs 1095 Kgs ( Petra is 1120 Kgs ). If you manage the lovely gearbox intellegently, it is perhaps as swift and the backseat is even wider than Petra. The styling is very refreshing.

Can somebody give authentic fuel consumption figures for Petra? The Auto Magazine in one of the older issues benchmarkd Petra ( with Flair, Corsa 1.4, Esteem,Accent GLE ) and put Petra on top at 11.9 KPL. can this be trusted ?I am not saying this is too important a point. But one needs to clearly know. The dealers ( say Fortpoint in Thane and jay Vijay in Pune ) are talking of 11-12.

Incidently getz ( 1.35 L SOHC engine ) is costilier than Petra ( 1.6 DOHC engine ) by about 35 K.

Under bonet getz looks bad as compared to Petra which instantly catches you as a solidly engineered product. Incidently this is similar to difference between santro and matiz under the bonet. matiz simply looked far superior. That santro became a big hit is a different story.

So guys, your thoughts and some feedback on Kmpl !

And thanks everybody.

Cheers !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks