Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2007, 11:58   #1

Practical VFM - i10 / Swift / Logan

Hi..
Been struggling to make up my mind on which car to buy...
Had more or less thought of the Swift.. but now am reconsidering and want better value for money.

My important requirements are :
Mostly drive in Mumbai with average running of 1200 kms per month.
- I am 6'3" tall.. hence need some space
- Occassional short travel with 5 adults... but mostly self driven alone.
- Currently drive an esteem which is LPG fitted
- Not wanting a drivers car.. am happy with compromise of performance.. but want low maintenance and low cost of ownership.
- Plan to have the car for 5 to 7 years.. if not longer...

Considered the following because :
Logan
not too excited by looks, but at the price.. its got lots of space. Gives me the option to convert to LPG in a couple of years.. being low cost,.. the spares will be reasonable... Also.. since have been used to driving an esteem.. think will be more suitable.
Low on looks and feel good factor.

Swift...
as its new.. like the looks.. am sure will hold its value over the years... spares would be no issue..High on feel good factor on owning.

i10..
as its the newest car.. concerns are in terms of space.. is it comparable to interior space of the swift... am ok with a minor compromise if the driver seat is comfortable and comparable.. (did not like the wagon r / estillo driving positions.. and wanted something higher than the santro)..
Like the interiors of the i10... but am concerned if the space is equal to swift... Also.. this is lower cost than the other two.. so am able to save some money...

Please advice based on your experiences... knowledge..

Thanks.
Old 9th November 2007, 12:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

From the looks of what you need I think the Logan will be a sensible choice. Since you have not mentioned your choice of fuel, I would assume you are ok with either. Therefore a Logan 1.5 DLE should be VFM for you giving you ample space for yourself (and 4 others). You also get A/c and power steering but no other frills. I have checked out the prices in Cochin and find the DLE costing 6.17 on road. And remember, a diesel will have a better resale.
Having sat in one I can vouch for the space and comfort element. Cannot comment on the performance and maintenance issues yet.
Old 9th November 2007, 12:47   #3
BHPian

i10

Logan: As you said, it doesn't have a feel good factor and since you plan on keeping it for 5-7 years, overall quality and maintenance comes into picture, which will not be as good as the maruti or the hyundai.

Swift: Swift has performance, but mileage will be better with the i10. What is your budget? If you can stretch it, swift diesel might be a good option in the long run. Gives the best of both worlds, performance and mileage. You can easily recover the extra amount you pay for diesel car in 5 years.

i10: its a new car. Very nice interiors, and it has good space too. Difference between interior space of swift and i10 is not much. You can trust hyundai for quality and ***. I cant comment on the engine and stuff because I could not TD the car.

If you do not want a diesel, then i10 is a good choice. Anyway, whichever car you buy, buy it in the next year (after january), so that you will have a 2008 model car.

All the best.
Old 9th November 2007, 13:46   #4

Petrol or diesel

hi... thanks for your response..
Am not sure about Diesel as my running is quite low... about 1000 - 1200 a month.
Also.. the money saved is quite a lot and Petrol gives me option to convert to LPG in case i go for Logan..
Whay Say ?
Old 9th November 2007, 15:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

There is an excellent (5000 kms currently) review on the Logan petrol by ashutoshb. Take a look at it - I'm sure it will give you a terrific insight on the car. I am posting the link here --

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...-5000-kms.html

Happy reading!
Old 10th November 2007, 09:27   #6
Senior - BHPian

a car for 5-7 years should grow with you/family.

The i10 is not good enough for that. I haven't TDed, just sat/seen it up close. Its just a remodelled santro to my eyes. Why not the getz if you must consider the swift? Its incredibly spacious and comfortable.
Old 10th November 2007, 09:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

at 6'3'' i guess you should go for the Logan.

How big is your family. The swift is terrible with its rear space (especially someone as tall as you in the drivers seat i guess it would not be comfortable sitting behind you). Though the Diesel Swift could save you some running costs, the logan would be more VFM than the Swift Diesel according to your requirements at that price point.

With just that much running. i feel you should decide on a petrol No point paying that extra money upfront for a diesel. Otherwise try something like the Indica Turbo. I feel it should be good enough if at all you can sell it off in 5 years time. You could save some money on fuel, pay a lower price, have lowers costs of spares and have enough space. But be aware that the newer version of the V2 would be out by next year. THis migh affect your resale at the end of 5 yrs. But i guess it would suit your requirements of a vehicle.

Last edited by gemithomas : 10th November 2007 at 09:44.
Old 10th November 2007, 14:53   #8
BHPian

The subject of your post itself answers your question.

Swift is cute/stylish/fun to drive..... but small boot/cramped backseat. not practical

i10 has great interiors/novelty value/..... but at 75k more than Santro. not VFM

Practical and VFM is only Logan. But, sadly, its nothing more.
Old 10th November 2007, 17:07   #9
BHPian

If you have the patience to wait for ,say , another 3-4 months there is going to be an explosion of sorts in the new car launches. Looks like 2008 is going to be an exciting year where we will have the latest cars to choose from.
Old 11th November 2007, 18:00   #10
Senior - BHPian

I am 6'3" tall.. hence need some space - Swift
- Occassional short travel with 5 adults... but mostly self driven alone. - Swift
- Currently drive an esteem which is LPG fitted - Swift Diesel
- Not wanting a drivers car.. am happy with compromise of performance.. but want low maintenance and low cost of ownership. - I10, Swift spares are not cheap
- Plan to have the car for 5 to 7 years.. if not longer... Swift will still be there then, knowing MSILs longer vehicle cycles.
Old 11th November 2007, 18:12   #11
BHPian

Have you decided on which car you will be buying ashish?
Old 11th November 2007, 18:36   #12
BHPian

Go for Swift VDi ashish or else wait for the Palio 1.3ltr multijet which is due in Jan 2008.
Old 11th November 2007, 21:00   #13
BHPian

Ford Ikon Flair

I suggest that you should also look at Ford Ikon Flair 1.3. Ford is currently offering CNG in Delhi and you might get that in Mumbai in future(my guess)

Ikon is VFM with its 4.77laks ex-showroom(Bangalore). I booked Ikon on Diwali day and i got 30k corporate discount.

Its worth taking a TD of both Logan and Ikon then take the call.

Wish you good luck :-)
Old 12th November 2007, 14:48   #14

Decided to wait another 4 months for more options

Thanks everybody for your responses...
Am tilting towards the Logan.. have ruled out the Diesel version ... as my running does not warrant paying so much money upfront..

The Swift looses out on rear space.. and is just a little better than i10 if at all... (yet to hear on internal space comparison between the two).

If i were to buy today.. would go for a Black Logan.. (Black is able to hide a lot of the indiffent boxy design ).

Also.. more than a couple of people have advised me to wait till Qtr 1 of 2008 when I may have more options...

Think its sound advice... am planning to continue to enjoy my Esteem till such time.

Thanks everybody.. this is the best place to get genuine assistance...
Will keep you all posted.
Old 16th November 2007, 11:10   #15
Senior - BHPian

Good that you have decided to wait till 1st qtr of 2007. There are many cars lined up for launches during that time including Fabia/Swift Sedan etc. You will have lot of choices.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks