Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2007, 10:51   #1

Used Cars - Zen or Santro ?

Guru's lemme tell you one thing... am a beginner in this car world.... and i want to thankx Team-Bhp who are very helpful for beginners.

As i said am a beginner ... i dont know a bit of knowledge about cars. Thought to go for used car and knowledge baby (cars). Well am very much confused about a Zen and Santro.

Zen - 1996 model. Car number MH05 - __ - 007. It have music system which costs 45 K (as the owner talks). It got LCD screen to watch movies n etc. then interior is also good. No power window and ofcourse no power steering and he quotes 1 lakh 20 thousand.
Just one thing keeps beating me from inside that the car have some kind of jhols. neways will show to a good mechanic first if i go for it. and yeah i will be 6th-7th owner of this machine.

Santro - 2001 model Zip Drive. the speciality in the car is....its wonderful car and yeah a sunshine one..hehe. its in good condition, suspension n all are very excellent (I made one of my friend to do a test drive on it). 50K+ kms done. got Power Windows (front) and he quotes 1 lakh 50 thousand

What i dont lyk about the santro is.... it is in green colour. thats very pathetic. and no cd player. it got a tape with FM radio thats all. here i will be 3rd owner of this car.

So guru's which one to go for. and yeah please lemme know what should i look for while buying a used car.
Old 8th December 2007, 12:28   #2
BHPian

I'm no expert, but I feel the Zen is overpriced. I bought my 1997 Zen LX (MH-02) two months ago for 75K and spent another 5K on it, and the car's running fine. Ask him if he'll sell it to you without the music system for 75K.

The Santro seems much better value for money. Get over the colour; I think the Santro Green is pretty decent (unless it's a psychedelic parrot green or something). Or you can spend 20K to repaint it.
Old 8th December 2007, 13:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

When I used to go to college in Vashi, there used to be a chap who used to drive around a Cielo with a 007 numberplate.

P.S. You have posted your query in the car stereo section, so please buy one as a fine.
Old 8th December 2007, 14:12   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet.devil View Post
What i dont lyk about the santro is.... it is in green colour. thats very pathetic. and no cd player. it got a tape with FM radio thats all. here i will be 3rd owner of this car.

So guru's which one to go for. and yeah please lemme know what should i look for while buying a used car.
The sound system should not enter into your decision whatsoever. It simply is not an important factor. What you want is dependable transportation. Do you know a good mechanic who will inspect these vehicles for you? I would always do this when buying a 2nd hand vehicle.
Old 8th December 2007, 14:27   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet.devil View Post
Guru's lemme tell you one thing... am a beginner in this car world.... and i want to thankx Team-Bhp who are very helpful for beginners.

As i said am a beginner ... i dont know a bit of knowledge about cars. Thought to go for used car and knowledge baby (cars). Well am very much confused about a Zen and Santro.

Zen - 1996 model. Car number MH05 - __ - 007. It have music system which costs 45 K (as the owner talks). It got LCD screen to watch movies n etc. then interior is also good. No power window and ofcourse no power steering and he quotes 1 lakh 20 thousand.
Just one thing keeps beating me from inside that the car have some kind of jhols. neways will show to a good mechanic first if i go for it. and yeah i will be 6th-7th owner of this machine.

1.2K for a 96 Zen without power steering!! Thats daylight robbery mate. Before we go ahead lemme give you this basic advise - Its almost 2008! i wud strongly suggest you buy a second hand car this side of 2000!

And rightly said above, the music system should NOT be a factor in the purchase!

Santro - 2001 model Zip Drive. the speciality in the car is....its wonderful car and yeah a sunshine one..hehe. its in good condition, suspension n all are very excellent (I made one of my friend to do a test drive on it). 50K+ kms done. got Power Windows (front) and he quotes 1 lakh 50 thousand

Hmmm. Definately a better deal. Try and bring down the price a bit. use the money saved to get urself a decent Boom Box!

Get over the colour. A 2000-2001 Zen,Santro, Wagon R with roughly 50 K on ODO should not cost u more than 1.5-1.7 lakh max.

Look around, i am sure we have a second hand car buyers guide somewhere!
My replies in BOLD

Elito

Last edited by Elito11 : 8th December 2007 at 14:29.
Old 11th December 2007, 16:00   #6

Thankx a ton guys.... i have decided to go with Santro.... one of my friend suggest me to do some graphics work on it.... it will be kinda sporty strips. May get a good look.... but the only thing is he is not ready to sell it off by 1.4 Lakh ... i have ask him to atleast shake hand with the mode of payment. and he is ready... so i have to pay him 1.4 Lakh within 3 months... howzzat? nice deal?

and yeah mechanic told me the car is too good for 1.5 Lakh. he said the car is really in a good condition and the same car he sold it off in 1.75 Lakh.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks