Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2007, 18:07   #1

Ban on Diesel Cars in Delhi??? Urgent Help

Hi!

Recently I have reading a lot abt Delhi Govt. planning to ban Diesel cars in Delhi. It has been cited that even the best of Diesel cars emit almost 7.5 times more harmful pollutants elements than a Petrol car.

This whole episode now has put me in a quandary as I have just booked Swift Diesel as I heard a lot about this car. Even if the ban takes about
2 -3 yrs to get implemented still it will be a huge problem. I will appreciate suggestions from the team members as my family & peers are forcing me to cancel Swift Diesel booking.

Please advice

Regards
Tarun
Old 14th December 2007, 18:53   #2
Team-BHP Support

hmm am not very convinced if this will get through, diesel lobby is too strong in this country.

read on http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...esel-cars.html

Last edited by Jaggu : 14th December 2007 at 18:54.
Old 14th December 2007, 19:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

Whether it gets banned or not, get your Swift fast, and Pete it. If this rule ever comes in implication, new diesel cars will not be allowed to be registered, but your car can continue smoking the petrols
Old 14th December 2007, 19:18   #4
BHPian

Immediate impact could be Increase in price of diesel fuel as proposed and more tax on diesel vehicles, But since you have booked and in all case before the rule is passed you will have your car.

For Delhi no lobby will be matching up to any influence, Since all this is being done for Commonwealth Games 2010 and India's next nomination for Hosting the Olyumpics.

If passed it will be enforced.

Last edited by wolfinstein : 14th December 2007 at 19:20.
Old 15th December 2007, 11:53   #5
BHPian

I believe - Government may have plans to phase the HMV's and LMV's which doesn't qualify the emission standards. All recent diesel vehicles like Fiesta, Swift, Optra Magnum, Verna etc. qualifies Euro emission standards
Old 15th December 2007, 12:15   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein View Post
Immediate impact could be Increase in price of diesel fuel as proposed and more tax on diesel vehicles, But since you have booked and in all case before the rule is passed you will have your car.

For Delhi no lobby will be matching up to any influence, Since all this is being done for Commonwealth Games 2010 and India's next nomination for Hosting the Olyumpics.

If passed it will be enforced.
Hi! Just read in a newspaper and spoke to my friends that Govt may think of imposing new clauses on owning Diesel cars rather than putting a blanket ban. As you yourself suggested that there might be increase in road tax & fuel cost for Diesel cars, it defeats the basis purpose of buying a Diesel car :-(
If Govt imposes yearly road tax on Diesel cars then it will affect new / old car equally...
Old 15th December 2007, 12:27   #7
Team-BHP Support

Shiela dixit today stated that banning diesel is not practical, so she will write to center to provide ULSD(<50ppm) in Delhi.
Currently sulfur content in Delhi is <=350ppm whereas rest of India gets diesel with excess of 500ppm sulfur.
So go ahead with your swift diesel.
Old 15th December 2007, 13:23   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Shiela dixit today stated that banning diesel is not practical, so she will write to center to provide ULSD(<50ppm) in Delhi.
Currently sulfur content in Delhi is <=350ppm whereas rest of India gets diesel with excess of 500ppm sulfur.
So go ahead with your swift diesel.
Just one query. How will the introduction of this ULSD effect the current diesel cars like the swift ? Are the two compatible or will a modifiction be reqd ?
Old 15th December 2007, 13:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Just one query. How will the introduction of this ULSD effect the current diesel cars like the swift ? Are the two compatible or will a modifiction be reqd ?
The car's engine should be EURO IV for 50ppm ULSD.
The lubricity of ULSD will be taken care off by advanced refining and addition of additives in the refineries. The refining cost increases hence the diesel price will shoot up.

Last edited by kpzen : 15th December 2007 at 13:38.
Old 15th December 2007, 13:39   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
The car's engine should be EURO IV for 50ppm ULSD.
The lubricity of ULSD will be taken care off by advanced refining and addition of additives in the refineries. The refining cost goes off hence the diesel price will shoot up.
Nope, the engine care will be taken by using higher spec engine oils. In the US API-CI(or is it CJ!) engine oils are on sale now to protect engines which use ULSD.
Old 15th December 2007, 14:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

Ok the engine will be taken care by higher spec engine oil.
ULSD 50ppm will require additives and extra refining for fine lubrication of Fuel pump.
Old 15th December 2007, 14:03   #12
Senior - BHPian

Maybe this is a good time to resurrect Boric Acid as an additive of sorts!?
Old 15th December 2007, 17:22   #13
Senior - BHPian

What are the sulphur contents of the present diesel cars like Fiesta/Verna/SwiftD/Logan etc. and ow about the suv's like scorpio/safari? Will the suv's pass this 50 ppm ?
Old 15th December 2007, 18:22   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
What are the sulphur contents of the present diesel cars like Fiesta/Verna/SwiftD/Logan etc. and ow about the suv's like scorpio/safari? Will the suv's pass this 50 ppm ?

Safari 2.2 is E-IV compliant which is being exported to European Union. So it does meet the ULSD normsn i think
Apart from what already has been iterated ULSD requires APICI4 engine oils apart from other techniques like EGR cooler to meet E-iv norms

pl correct if i missed anything
Old 15th December 2007, 18:25   #15
Senior - BHPian

Diesel Fuel is a pure monopoly of indian govt. Since they dont want to cut their share on each liter of fuel sold, Oil cos. are suffering and we cant get a clean diesel which can cut down Diesel ppm

on the other hand , the auto giants are also taking us for a ride in a way. how much rocket science is involved in providing a Diesel Particulate Filter which is auto clean in nature anyways......therefore reducing the PPM thrown into air by atleast 50%.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks