Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2008, 10:46   #1
BHPian

Which should be my first car?

Hi,

I am trying to make a decision for my first car (and a new driver that I am), and would like pearls of wisdom from senior team-bhpians' out here. Some of the points that I am considering are -
1. Budget - upto 4.5l OTR
2. Safety - will mostly use the car for city driving in Pune, but also weekend trips to nearby destinations (~100 kms.). Since this will mostly be highway driving, I want a car that holds onto the road at speeds of around 80kmph, and does not fly-off when a truck passes by. Also, if possible, I wish to see better impact-resistance on the car body (I hear that old Fiat Palios' were built like a tank).
3. FE - Daily driving will be 40 kms., and weekly will not be more than 300 kms. What is a better recommended FE? I guess I am okay with 10-12 kmpl.
4. Seating - comfortable enough for 4 people for weekend drives.
5. Kid friendly - Don't know if such a thing exists, but I have an year old daughter, and any kid-friendly feature will help.
6. My wife will drive the car mostly.

Which car would you recommend? My personal favorite is a Fiat Palio, but Santro, WagonR are also other options to consider. Talking of a Palio, I have some questions:
1. I hear that the old Palio was more sturdy and built like a tank, than the new Palio Stile. Is this true, or just figment of someone imagination?
2. What is the reason for Palio's high kerb weight? (more than Santro, WagonR).

Talking of sturdiness,
1. Is an Indica more sturdy than a Santro, or WagonR?

Thanks in advance for your views on this.

-choombak
Old 30th January 2008, 13:46   #2
BHPian

I'd go for a WagonR. I've owned one and always liked it a lot, so have most knowledgeable people that I've spoken to.
Old 30th January 2008, 14:11   #3
Team-BHP Support

if you want a safe and reliable car which is fun to drive and return about 10-12 kmpl within 4.5 lacs IMO Swift should be the best option.
Old 30th January 2008, 14:27   #4
BHPian

Check out the Indigo Compact, real VFM
Old 30th January 2008, 14:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
if you want a safe and reliable car which is fun to drive and return about 10-12 kmpl within 4.5 lacs IMO Swift should be the best option.
Rightly said Blackpearl,
Swift suits all your specified areas like budget, mileage, reliable, performance, A.S.S. Etc.

Other option would be to Go for Indigo CS(Compact sedan) OTR price will be around 4.2L i feel , It's VFM
Old 30th January 2008, 14:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by choombak View Post
1. I hear that the old Palio was more sturdy and built like a tank, than the new Palio Stile. Is this true, or just figment of someone imagination?
2. What is the reason for Palio's high kerb weight? (more than Santro, WagonR).
1. Yes according to those who have driven new palio and old one the build quality is better in OLD one but Stile is at par with the OLD one so no problems there.

2. Palios build like tank is the reason behind the more kerb and the sheet quality used is way better than Santro and WagonR.
Old 30th January 2008, 15:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

My vote would be as follows. It suits your requirement perfectly.

1) Swift.
2) Wagon R
3) Santro
4) i10.

I have mentioned above because the A** and the spare parts of these cars are much more cheaper than the Fiat Palio.

Fiat is very costly to maintain and is not so fuel efficient compared to above.Moreover, one more point which was considered was it will also be driven by a lady driver.

One more suggestion would be take a TD of all the aboev cars ask your wifey to sit and have a feel/let her also take the TD and they zero down on the Model.

Last edited by snaronikar : 30th January 2008 at 15:12.
Old 30th January 2008, 15:15   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

I would like to go out on the limb and recommend Palio Stile, not the 1.6 version. Its built like a tank, and they have amazing road presence and very enjoyable to drive. Only glitch possibly could be slightly lower FE and not a great A.S.S

Swift is good only in the diesel version, petrol is quite placid and not very enjoyable to drive.

i10 is also one car that you should be checking out. Drive all cars and pick the one your heart chooses
Old 30th January 2008, 15:19   #9
Senior - BHPian

i fi were in your shoes i would go for the swift.its tried tested and reliable.the only issue i have seen is the rattling developed ,but a good ICE would take care of it .but other wise its a no nonsense car.you would also get a premium out look than a cheap buy setup.
ram
Old 30th January 2008, 15:27   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Fiat is very costly to maintain and is not so fuel efficient compared to above.
Please avoid posting such blanket statements without even owning a Palio!

Owners of Palio 1.1 Stile have reported a mileage of 13-15 kpl in City!
Reg maintenance, normal spares like Oil / Air Filter, Brake pads, Clutch plates & other consumables are at par with cars in its segment, other spares like Headlights, Bumper may be bit expensive.

Last edited by finneyp : 30th January 2008 at 15:30.
Old 30th January 2008, 15:32   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Please avoid posting such blanket statements without even owning a Palio!

Owners of Palio 1.1 Stile have reported a mileage of 13-15 kpl in City!
Reg maintenance, normal spares like Oil / Air Filter, Brake pads, Clutch plates & other consumables are at par with other cars in its segment, other spares like Headlights, Bumper may be bit expensive.
I have posted based on the experience of my friend and what T-BHPians has to say about this car. There are some threads here about the Palio and hope he reads it. Rest is left to the individual how they take it. But what I have said I stand by it.
Old 30th January 2008, 15:35   #12
Team-BHP Support

I am a huge fan of Palio and love the car, but I would not recommend it for the first time buyer. Though I hate to say this but one cannot deny the fact that Swift is a newer generation car with a better chassis. Though it is not that well built like a Palio, but IMO it strikes a good balance between safety and FE. plus the after sales service of maruti is beyond comparison. saying all these points, given the option I would still go for a Palio 1.6 anyday though I will not be able to justify myself. its a matter of the heart .
Old 30th January 2008, 15:37   #13
Senior - BHPian

Wagon R

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
I'd go for a WagonR. I've owned one and always liked it a lot, so have most knowledgeable people that I've spoken to.
Vikram is right!!! Wagon R has wife and kid features and it has quality. It comes in many variations and is in your budget. Tata Indica is a little suspect quality-wise. Swift is not really a wife/child vehicle and visibilty to the rear is not so good. It has good quality and a great diesel motor however. Wagon R also has lots of glass and good visibilty. Alto (Maruti) might be a decent choice also and can be had for just under 3 lakh, I think.
Old 30th January 2008, 16:26   #14
BHPian

The first car, hmmmm

I would look at reliable,peppy,Good A.S.Service,Good quality car to be your first car....
Since 4.5 is the budget,

Indica- Ruled out for terrible service,not a premium car,not peppy car either.
Swift: Very good option, provided your Ok with some quality issues related to built mostly rattles, may be cramped space,some poor ergonomics.
i10: Very good option and I see engine is not as peppy as Swift,otherwsie, its good first car as its modern has just got into its life cycle...
Palio Stile: Very good option. Agian service is the weakness I see.
WagonR: OK option,I personally hate its body styling.And its reaching end of its life cycle, so I wouldn't recommend.

My vote is for Swift,i10,Palio(not in that order).Based on what disadvanage is Ok for you, you can choose any of them .

cheers
Anju
Old 30th January 2008, 16:28   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Anju, that was a very nice crisp filtered list of cars. I agree with you as a first car it should be between the 3 cars that you short listed.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks