Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2008, 21:54   #1
BHPian

Confused - Fabia or Fusion or Swift or Getz...?

hi all,

I registered in this forum explicitly to get answer to this question...

(to know about me please refer here).

coming to the point: I own a black 2003 Indica DLS that I am ready to sell and move on. I do not want a sedan because of parking issues in my building (cellar pillars and all that) and other places in town.

I am in a hurry to sell my Indica before Nano bookings start because later the prices for used small cars will drop for sure (as of now, I have been told that my black beauty would go for 1.5 to 1.7 lakhs in Hyderabad).

since I already own a "big" small car, I want a premium hatch this time and I had initially shortlisted Swift VDI, Getz CRDI and lately Fabia TDi Classic. Since Fabia is just about 40K lesser than Fusion diesel, I added that to my list too.

now I am royally confused. I had searched the forum for a similar thread but could not find any, especially for Swift VDI-ABS v/s Getz CRDI. I found a thread debating Fusion v/s Fabia but I felt dizzy after going through a few pages. my last preference is the new Indigo CS because of its compact size.

I have the following requirements:
(1) fuel efficiency
(2) good gear ratios in traffic - i do not want to strain myself changing gears excessively. thats the biggest problem with my indica.
(3) decent after sales support, especially reasonable cost of maintenance. Here I know Fabia and Fusion are not exactly low maintenance but I believe those cars are built such a way that parts need not be replaced regularly. reasonable cost (and low frequency) of regular service (wash, oil change etc) should suffice. This is important because the experience of having a great car would be diminished if I have to take it for expensive servicing often.
(4) good air con that would not affect the power greatly

other relatively minor requirements:
(1) maximum factory fitted gizmos
(2) rear defogger/wiper would be good.
(3) ABS/Airbag good but not mandatory
(4) decent resale value after 3-4 years (not that important but still I do not want to be stuck with something I cannot sell for a decent price in future)

I plan to take it out of town long distance with family at least once or twice a year.

I think you are seeing my problem now! it would be great if your advice is backed with personal experience. try to address each of my requirements and rate the cars for them.

also feel free to suggest other cars I might have missed.

there are lot more questions but I will ask them later at relevant points.

I plan to finalize something by April at least, so help me
Old 29th February 2008, 01:17   #2
BHPian

When I saw the title of this thread, I was like 'oh goodie, I can send this link to Cad bhai'. duh!

Welcome to the forum, I am sure you will find good advice here.
Old 29th February 2008, 01:21   #3
BHPian

You may go in for either of the two which would satisfy most of your requirements.

Swift - Value for money and Getz - If you are solely looking at Performance

But test drive both the cars extensively and decide. Other cars you have listed would not satisfy the expectations list mentioned.

All the best for your buy. Do update us on your decision
Old 29th February 2008, 02:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

Since price is not the issue here, then keeping your requirements in mind of the gizmo loaded, Airbag, ABS, etc, the only thing that comes to mind would be the Fabia. Considering the resale of the Octavia it should hold its price (please overlook the horrendous resale of the Superb and the Laura for this)
Old 29th February 2008, 03:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

Why dont you check out the srv tcdi. I dont think we have a bigger hatch in India (correct me if i am mistaken).
The palio diesel (launch on may 11th) is also a good alternative.
For outright power and comfort i would recommend the srv though. (pete the srv and fly)

Last edited by cooldude1988765 : 29th February 2008 at 03:06.
Old 29th February 2008, 04:39   #6
Senior - BHPian

first i need to know what is the budget you want the car in, that aspect really makes it easy to short list the cars. but here are the other things you asked now you choose what your will says!

http://www.carwale.com/Research/CarD...-car-1219.html

http://www.carwale.com/Research/CarD...-car-1273.html

http://www.carwale.com/Research/CarD...-car-1218.html

http://www.carwale.com/Research/CarD...-car-1297.html

check out the above links for the list of the features you need.

now coming to the primary list
1.the FE is best with skoda, then swift then getz and then ford
2.since all these are diesels and they happen to be torquey engines so this issue is solved right away, however in order the best is the getz, then swift, i dont know which comes later of the two left.
3.first the swift, followed by getz then ford then fabia this in the order of price for service costs
4.they all have good a/c but the FE bit drops 1-2kmpl depending on driving style and traffic conditions

now the resale value part i am uncertain, i think first is swift, then getz, then fabia, then fusion

Last edited by rider60 : 29th February 2008 at 04:40.
Old 29th February 2008, 04:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

This sums it up nicely

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingping View Post

Swift - Value for money and Getz - If you are solely looking at Performance
But test drive both the cars extensively and decide.
All the best for your buy. Do update us on your decision
There is a wealth of information on Getz and Swift on this site. My personal opinion is that ABS is vastly overrated unless you are a new driver. Pingping sums it up nicely for me. Both Getz and Swift are good vehicles.
Old 29th February 2008, 08:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
(3) decent after sales support, especially reasonable cost of maintenance. Here I know Fabia and Fusion are not exactly low maintenance but I believe those cars are built such a way that parts need not be replaced regularly. reasonable cost (and low frequency) of regular service (wash, oil change etc) should suffice. This is important because the experience of having a great car would be diminished if I have to take it for expensive servicing often.
If you are looking for a four year ownership i guess you could take an extended warranty and TMP for the fusion. You would not have to pay for anything except oil and accident damage. Not sure how the fabia could be. But for such an ownership period i dont think much issues would crop up. However if you want decent A.S.S I think you should check up twice with existing customers in our area. Both are known for "illitrate arrogance."

Quote:
(1) fuel efficiency
(2) good gear ratios in traffic - i do not want to strain myself changing gears excessively. thats the biggest problem with my indica.
I think the Swift wins here(also for point 3 above).

Quote:
other relatively minor requirements:
(1) maximum factory fitted gizmos
(2) rear defogger/wiper would be good.
(3) ABS/Airbag good but not mandatory
(4) decent resale value after 3-4 years (not that important but still I do not want to be stuck with something I cannot sell for a decent price in future)
Except for point 1 i think its the swift you are talking about.

Here is what i would say. If you dont mind the rear seats on the swift. And if you are willing to spend extra money on gizmos and a set of new wheels at the accessopry shop. Go for the Swift VDi. (Keep in mind the final cost of ownership after all additions)

If You are looking for performance and dont mind that wood finish on the central console go for the Getz Diese.

If you want a mix of both and more space and can live with some bad low speed ride. Go for the fusion.

If you want to have a realpremium hatch. Go for Skoda. Its got the best ride comfort of the lot. And i think the quality levels would be higher.
Old 29th February 2008, 09:49   #9
Senior - BHPian

In between fusion and fabia-FUSION,between swift and getz -SWIFT VDI-ABS.Fusion gives you a mini suv feel and costs less than the fabia.both these cars-fusion and fabia -would be bad on resale as there would be new sedans in the second hand price range of them.
In between swift and getz ,swift vdi abs is priced resonably and gives terrific mileage and good performance.Getz is more powerfull and spacious.
My preference would be either fusion or swift vdi abs.Between them some of the preferences you have mentioned inclines me to swift-FE,good resale value,service support,etc.
Take a test drive of both and decide if you need the space of fusion or the efficiency of swift.
ram
Old 29th February 2008, 16:23   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
Why dont you check out the srv tcdi. I dont think we have a bigger hatch in India (correct me if i am mistaken).
The palio diesel (launch on may 11th) is also a good alternative.
For outright power and comfort i would recommend the srv though. (pete the srv and fly)
SRV diesel is not available yet.What you said is right SRV+petes=fly.I am also waiting for SRV diesel.
Swift is VFM and you will get nice resale value.Getz dont have airbag and ABS and so many other features are not there.If you are looking for power then Getz is the best option.If you dont care about 3 cyclinder engine and price Fabia is good.It has build quality.

Last edited by jerish666 : 29th February 2008 at 16:26.
Old 29th February 2008, 21:36   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerish666 View Post
SRV diesel is not available yet.What you said is right SRV+petes=fly.I am also waiting for SRV diesel.
Swift is VFM and you will get nice resale value.Getz dont have airbag and ABS and so many other features are not there.If you are looking for power then Getz is the best option.If you dont care about 3 cyclinder engine and price Fabia is good.It has build quality.
Keep on waiting

VFM: Fusion, the one with ABS Airbags tec; check relevant threads
Then comes Swift VDi; one month waiting.
Power and Space : Getz CDRi and two months of waiting
Fabia; exclusivity, bells and whistles at a premium price.
Old 29th February 2008, 22:37   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerish666 View Post
Chevrolet India has it on their website. So i thought it was available. about the confusion.
Old 29th February 2008, 22:41   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
Chevrolet India has it on their website. So i thought it was available. about the confusion.
I think it is the same with new Ford Fusion with ABS and stuff. Both chevy and Ford websites have done the same like `Build your own car`. Are they doing a market study based on the clicks they get!
Old 29th February 2008, 23:05   #14
Senior - BHPian

Given a choice I would go for Getz D. Sheer Performance, Driveability, Space and Comfort.

(1) fuel efficiency: Swift is the winner. Getz D gives only around 14.
(2) good gear ratios in traffic - i do not want to strain myself changing gears excessively. thats the biggest problem with my indica.: Getz
In my opinion its better to go for Maruti or Hyundai. They care for customers and you would not have sleepless nights.
Getz and Swift should do well in this department. There is no lack of power, especially Getz.
Old 29th February 2008, 23:11   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayavi View Post
When I saw the title of this thread, I was like 'oh goodie, I can send this link to Cad bhai'. duh!

Welcome to the forum, I am sure you will find good advice here.
hey Mayavi! didnt know you are a member here too! nice to see one familiar "face"...cheers:

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks