Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2008, 14:56   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Getz: good car, good service. (Getz diesel if you want that surge.)
-----------
palio: fiat=lazy
uva: GM=general merchandise
Old 10th March 2008, 20:33   #17
BANNED

Well what can I say, all of my choices getting knocked down one by one..huh..
The problem is I don't like Swift and the Santros. I am not in a hurry and can wait for a couple of months but looks like there aren't many reliable choices for that range.

Thanks for your comments,
zaks
Old 10th March 2008, 21:41   #18
Senior - BHPian

I suggest Palio 1.1 or 1.6 based on your like, Test Drive them in congested roads and see which you like. Debate between Palio 1.1 and 1.6 and decide which you like

Every person will have his own ideas so more you ask you get confused too much. this is what I realized:

If you ask me GM/ford cars cannot be trusted in long run. and their A.S.S is not pleasant as well. Fixing MUL/Hyundai/TATA/FIAT cars cost less money but GM/Ford cars if started giving trouble its too headache most of the times.

I liked GM cars looks and ride comfort wanted to own one but I postponed because above reasons.

Fiat/TATA improving their service so Palio is right choice for you.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 10th March 2008, 23:05   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
Hi guys,
I am looking at the following three-
Palio Stile sport
Chevrolet -UVA(LT)
Getz 1.3GLS

My requirements are -
1. 40km/day for commute to work in city traffic, occassional weekend long drives.

2. Reliabitlity, good handling and stability

- Getz and U-VA

3. Intend to keep it for long term, so not particular about resale value.

- Again Getz and U-VA. Palio is going to phased out sooner than later, atleast more so vis-vis Getz and U-VA

4. A good surge in the pedal will be nice to have.

- Palio and Getz. Getz is a fairly peppy car to drive. Its just that its composure and weight is too bland for some.

Having said the above I will use my bike as often and I might not take the car out for work everyday since the traffic here is just hopeless and I don't tolerate jams.

The latest news is that Chevrolet is offering a 3yrs free service for all vehicles bought before 31st march which makes it tempting and their cost of ownership is a good argument too.

Yes it does!! U-va is an excellent little hatch and the offer really makes sense!

My budget is about 5Lakhs and with Palio I will certainly be saving a chunk of cash.
Let me know your thoughts on this?

I would NOT recommend Palio. Why? Its older versus its competition, not really reliable (A**) and short on space.

If you can overlook the Swift's looks. No car comes close to Swift D as a overall package!

Best of luck. Make sure you TEST DRIVE all before making a decision!

Regards,
Zaks
My replies in bold

Elito
Old 11th March 2008, 14:07   #20
BANNED

Do not worry about fiat A. S. S. - Tata has a stake in Fiat, the parent company, if I understand posts in other threads on this forum correctly.

You should also look at Indigo / Indigo CS.
Old 11th March 2008, 16:20   #21
BHPian

Tata Indica Dicor

I think Tata Indica Dicor is a better choice
Old 11th March 2008, 16:34   #22
BHPian

Why are you limiting your choice to hatchbacks?

At 5.0 L you can also go for Ford Ikon Flair.
Old 11th March 2008, 16:51   #23
Senior - BHPian

Seems there is a shortage for 1.6 in red color. Dealer couldnt get one even after waiting for a month.

The Mulitjet is out. Do check it too.
Old 11th March 2008, 17:15   #24

The running cost of the UVA is significantly lower than the others.

Between your options, assuming this is an only car, go for the UVA or the Getz.

I'd stay away from the Fiat stable till aftersales service is proven.
Old 12th March 2008, 08:56   #25
BHPian

Go for Getz. As an ex. Hyundai (Santro) owner, I can vouch for their reliability and quality. I10 is a small car, but Getz is a big car minus boot. Think about how many times you will use it. Buy a rack and put it whenever you need. Getz is a spacious car inside just like a sedan, outside small like a hatch so parking/managing is easy. It is good for long trips as well. Also remember the Getz made in Chennai are being exported to Europe, so you can imagine the quality, fit and finish etc they come with. Lastly, the gear**** is one of the best. The only bad about Getz is that there is a talk going on about the new model.
Old 12th March 2008, 09:20   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaAT View Post
Why are you limiting your choice to hatchbacks?

At 5.0 L you can also go for Ford Ikon Flair.
Aint the Ford Ikon going to phased out soon ? I've heard about Ford launching the diesel version of the Ikon. Any idea about the launch ?
Old 12th March 2008, 16:20   #27
BHPian

We had the same questions some days ago. My Bro wanted a car within 5lac which should have all that u want. He did not want a Swift as I have one.

IMHO your best fit is Swift VDi. Since you do not like Swift - next best is Getz 1.3. I test drove this on and around inner ring road for about an hour and was impressed by space inside/ speed/ accelaration/ ride quality and stability.

You will never get one car that will do everything or will be ideal in every field and also will fit your budget - need to stike balance - so no point in waiting - go for it.
Old 13th March 2008, 11:07   #28
Senior - BHPian

40kms a day? makes sense to go in for a diesel. once you get the car, i dont think you would use the bike that often. everybosy goes in the same notion in the beggining, but the bike will remain untouched.

i would sugggest the swift VDi or the 1.3MJD
Old 13th March 2008, 11:47   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
Well what can I say, all of my choices getting knocked down one by one..huh..
The problem is I don't like Swift and the Santros. I am not in a hurry and can wait for a couple of months but looks like there aren't many reliable choices for that range.

Thanks for your comments,
zaks

Hey buddy... there is NO perfect car. Each car has its own pros and cons. Narrow down your choices. TD the car. While TDing, evaluate the cons whether they really irritate you or you can live with.

You may consider the recently launched Palio MJD. There are some interesting reviews there. Check it out
Old 13th March 2008, 13:47   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
once you get the car, i dont think you would use the bike that often. everybosy goes in the same notion in the beggining, but the bike will remain untouched.
Not "everybody" Love driving AND riding - and despite the nomenclature, prefer using my City only on the highways. Around Bangalore its one of the two bikes I have, and both are fun to ride AND quick through traffic.

Ok - this is probably NOT what you're looking for - and dunno if its torque will satisfy your throttle-response need, but ever since I saw (no TD yet) the Indigo CS diesel for 5.02 OTR - very little else makes sense VFM wise. Amazing package, despite the usual niggles you mght face. At 40km a day, the diesel will help too. Will help anyway as you get more used to the low fuel bills and start driving around more without counting the kilometres !
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks