Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2008, 17:37   #61
BHPian

A small question on gear shift

Hi Folks

Another dumb question.. Please dont mind it.. I am so finicky because this verna CRDi SX is my life's savings and i have put them all in it..

Yesterday i tried to shift into the reverse gear without using the clutch (forgot) and there was a loud karrrrrrrrrr... kind of sound then i engaged the clutch and everything went fine.

Would this have damaged anything in the gearbox or the engine.. Jus a question.. Thanks
Old 29th October 2008, 18:59   #62
Team-BHP Support

Nope nothing major should have happened by just one accidental shift to reverse, but dont get used to this technique of scaring people away
Old 29th October 2008, 20:00   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammycoolster View Post

Yesterday i tried to shift into the reverse gear without using the clutch (forgot) and there was a loud karrrrrrrrrr... kind of sound then i engaged the clutch and everything went fine.

Would this have damaged anything in the gearbox or the engine.. Jus a question.. Thanks
It's funny how pedestrians who have never driven before in their lives, some who have never even been in a car before, will laugh their arse off at you when they hear that sound.
Old 29th October 2008, 20:05   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Folks

Another dumb question.. Please dont mind it.. I am so finicky because this verna CRDi SX is my life's savings and i have put them all in it..

If done repeatedly and regularly it will damage your gearbox. A few such accidental ones as Jaggu says does nothing. By the way, never hesitate to ask dumb questions. We don't learn unless we ask.
Old 12th November 2008, 18:55   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
If done repeatedly and regularly it will damage your gearbox. A few such accidental ones as Jaggu says does nothing. By the way, never hesitate to ask dumb questions. We don't learn unless we ask.
I've myself done that quite often in my swift while i was new to it and did ask the service station guy the same Q, on which he gave me a very funny wiered look and then said "Nothing would happen Sir".

Well it stops happening after you and your car, starts understanding each other quite well.
Old 13th November 2008, 07:58   #66
BHPian

Bad time with this car

Hi Folks,

Back here to bug you guys again Yesterday i gave the car for first service. My Verna Crdi SX

However the car has some vibrations on the gear shift knob and also the body when run in lower gears. Also there is a strange dragging sound when i drive it slowly.

The mileage has gone down significantly after the service and they guys told me they have tuned the engine.

Any suggestions on how to get over these.

a) The vibrations that i am facing in the lower gears
b) The feeble dragging feeling when driving slow
c) The mileage which has dropped

Thanks
Old 14th November 2008, 19:09   #67
Senior - BHPian

Weird, but it sounds like an engaged handbrake. Try to see if the brakes are engaged even when your handbrake lever is off and your foot is off the pedal. You might need to go to a workshop and prop your car up to check this though. Could be a busted wheel bearing as well.

Of course, if this really is the case, you will cause a lot of wear and tear on the wheel assemblies, suspension, drivertrain etc. So get the problem sorted pronto.
Old 15th November 2008, 00:12   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Folks,

Back here to bug you guys again Yesterday i gave the car for first service. My Verna Crdi SX

However the car has some vibrations on the gear shift knob and also the body when run in lower gears. Also there is a strange dragging sound when i drive it slowly.

The mileage has gone down significantly after the service and they guys told me they have tuned the engine.

Thanks
My feeling is that they have messed up with their so called tuning. Take it back to service center – speak to the manager or someone senior and get someone good to get it checked.
Old 24th March 2011, 21:03   #69

Newbie driver : buy used car or commit to a new one

Hi,

This is my first post to the forum as the membership got approved just today.

A recent addition to the family(son) and I started thinking of buying a car. My RE 350, Pulsar and Suzuki Access make sure I dont miss the right wheels for the occasion, but safety is concern for the family and high time I get a car.

I have never seriously driven a car and that leads me to a dilemma as to whether I buy a used one and save myself the heartburn of the bumps and bruises on a new machine would cause or just go ahead buy a new one and take my time to adjust and be careful. I am fairly confident of my ability to get used to the driving but my other half doesnt think so.

I live in Pune and commute from Hadapsar to Hinjewadi everyday. Thats 65 Kms a day. I might have a couple of highway trips a month that can add about 700-800 kms. So I guess its prudent to go for a diesel.

So now the question is whether I go for a used diesel under 3.0L or go for a new diesel hatch. I really like the Figo and Punto and have been reviewing them for a fairly long time.

I dont have many options for a used diesel under 3.0 L.

Please advise.

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th March 2011 at 21:16. Reason: Please use Search before opening a new thread. Thanks
Old 24th March 2011, 22:19   #70
BHPian

Re: Bad time with this car

Quote:
Hi Folks,

Thanks
Check the air pressure on all the tyres.
Old 25th March 2011, 06:41   #71
BHPian

Re: Newbie driver : buy used car or commit to a new one

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshishKS View Post
Hi,

A recent addition to the family(son) and I started thinking of buying a car. My RE 350, Pulsar and Suzuki Access make sure I dont miss the right wheels for the occasion, but safety is concern for the family and high time I get a car.

I have never seriously driven a car and that leads me to a dilemma as to whether I buy a used one and save myself the heartburn of the bumps and bruises on a new machine would cause or just go ahead buy a new one and take my time to adjust and be careful. I am fairly confident of my ability to get used to the driving but my other half doesnt think so.

I live in Pune and commute from Hadapsar to Hinjewadi everyday. Thats 65 Kms a day. I might have a couple of highway trips a month that can add about 700-800 kms. So I guess its prudent to go for a diesel.

So now the question is whether I go for a used diesel under 3.0L or go for a new diesel hatch. I really like the Figo and Punto and have been reviewing them for a fairly long time.

Please advise.
Hi Ashish,

So long as you have done the due diligence while buying the car, by having it inspected by an expert mechanic, it should be fine.

Regards,
Narayanan
Old 25th March 2011, 12:18   #72
BHPian

Re: Can a new driver buy Maruti SWIFT?

Quote:

Looking at your requirement you would need a very reliable car. If I were you I did buy either the punto / figo new car since usage is on the higher side.

Even though the cost of fuel is lower in diesel cars, the factors one needs to remember are the spares of a diesel vehicle will be significantly more expensive than a comparable spare of the same petrol car.

If you do not want to buy a new car off the showroom, why not look around for a new car outside (Pre owned and barely used), something like < 10K mileage. This could save you about a hundred thousand or more.
Old 25th March 2011, 15:03   #73

Re: Can a new driver buy Maruti SWIFT?

I looked around for used Swift diesel but not many fall below 4.0L. I dont think it would be wise to spend 4.0L+ on a used one when abt 6.0L will fetch me a new one.

There are a few well used diesel sedans but I wary of their maintenance costs and my inexperience of driving. Indica is not really a popular choice and I would give it a miss. That doesnt leave me much choice is it?
Old 25th March 2011, 15:40   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshishKS
I live in Pune and commute from Hadapsar to Hinjewadi everyday. Thats 65 Kms a day. I might have a couple of highway trips a month that can add about 700-800 kms. So I guess its prudent to go for a diesel
Are you planning to commute 65kms daily by car ? Do you do this by bike currently ? I hope you have done the math about the fuel cost involved (petrol or diesel) today and with rising fuel-price because sometimes buying a car would be the easy part while running it could prove expensive. Check out this thread on such a dilemna
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...nsive-run.html

What is your budget for the car ? if you can afford a new car, that should be a good option. Else, depreciation is your friend when it comes to buying used cars - you should get good deals on Punto which you like.
Old 25th March 2011, 19:34   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshishKS View Post
Hi,

Please advise.
Though diesel would be cheaper on fuel it is by no means cheap to maintain, and add to that a pre owned diesel, you will be treading on unknown territory as far as maintenance is concerned.

Just a suggestion get a brand new Alto K10, it will be extremely cheap to maintain and the fuel efficiency of around 20+ on long run will compensate for costlier fuel. A new car would be trouble free for at least three years, and its small size would not matter if you are traveling with wife and a child only.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks