Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2005, 21:17   #1
BHPian

A choice between a Big B and a Small C?

My primary requirement is of a good B segment car that would suffice my requirements. But if I get a decent option in C segment I am open to it.

Until recently I was very sure about a Palio 1.6, but then the website going down, GM pulling out, Bad ASS and what not... has forced me to rethink about my decision. I don't know the consequences of Fiat India packing there bags would be on the ownership of Fiat vehicles. Personally I am a fan of Fiat but then sometimes you have to let your brain do the thinking. So here I am exploring other able options, if any. Here are my requirements.

Space - 2 - 5 adult passangers. Maximum height - 5'11.
Features expected - Acceleration, Handling, Ride quality, Braking, Safety.
Maintenance - Not in terms of mullah, but the no. of visits to the servicing center(Except regular maintenace)/dealer/garage
Running pattern - 1000-1500 KM/Month, 50:50 in city/highway
Budget - 4-5L... can stretch it by another 50K. (Anything above that would need a nod from Chidambaram@home)
Shortlisted - Palio 1.6 (Suggestions anybody?)
FE - Not an issue. In my opinion a car is meant to be a luxury item. Gotta burn a hole in your pocket.

Now I feel I should wait for a couple of months for a roll out of Suzuki Swift or the next iteration of Fiat Palio..(see I told you I am all for Fiat!) But I wish to make an unbiased and informed decision hence looking forward to your comments/suggestions.

I would also like to know from Fiat owners in Mumbai about various Fiat dealers they have dealt with and their experiences.

Thanks,
Rocknrollzl
Old 21st February 2005, 21:47   #2
BHPian

hey r&r,

u're decision with fiat is understandable - u need to let the head rule the heart sometimes.

though their website is down - they have still delivered my car to the showroom at the committed time - my palio d hazel grey color! expect to drive it home by thursday - after registration etc.

btw, the 1.6 is no more around - fiat has discontinued it - any talk of it coming back to showrooms is still in the air!

if you are apprehensive about the fiat - wait for the suzuki swift and the chevy aveo - they may be coming around soon and could be good value for money - given the antecedents of the 2 companies here in india...

my experience with shamana and anuroop have both been very good - though i would give the edge to shaman - esp if you live town side, their service centre is in lalbaug

not much a fan of korean cars, so won't suggest the getz - but you can try it out anyways - the evergreen esteem should also be in your budget - though if you want to seat 5 adults - the suspensions of the getz and the esteem would definitely fail you - esp at the rear.

how about the opel corsa - great feel, handling and ride - may make up for the fiat factor

all the best - keep us informed.
Old 21st February 2005, 22:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

R n r, wud you mind goin for 2nd hand cars??you will have variety there...
Old 22nd February 2005, 12:16   #4
BHPian

let the head rule ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cream

u're decision with fiat is understandable - u need to let the head rule the heart sometimes.
:-). Here is another spin r&r, -- if you're thinking about Fiat,
you quite literally need to let your head rule, since the car must
accomodate 5'11" tall persons also ! As cream has said, Palio 1.6
is no more. So if you're thinking about the Petra, forget the back
seats, -- the taller heads will *touch* the roof ! Even for the Palio,
the taller members may want to try out the front passenger and
the back side seats to see how comfortable they feel with the
hand grips threatening to hit their heads !
Old 22nd February 2005, 12:44   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

go for a petra
its the only one that fits youe equaltion
i dont think headroom is a problem because whenever my father uses my palio he has no complaints and hes 6'1 but no harm in checking it out
second option would be a GETZ as it is the only one to fir your equaltion minus the performance bit (though it still is one of the fastest) or even the indica V2 but im not sure about maintainance as its meant to have improved
Old 22nd February 2005, 13:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat
:-). Here is another spin r&r, -- if you're thinking about Fiat,
you quite literally need to let your head rule, since the car must
accomodate 5'11" tall persons also ! As cream has said, Palio 1.6
is no more. So if you're thinking about the Petra, forget the back
seats, -- the taller heads will *touch* the roof ! Even for the Palio,
the taller members may want to try out the front passenger and
the back side seats to see how comfortable they feel with the
hand grips threatening to hit their heads !
Not true! I am myself 5'10", my cousin brother 6+ and my brother, 5'10". No one ever had a problem with Petra. It is true that there is not too much space left above your head (a few inches), but definitely not touch the roof. And with Petra, even most uneven roads wont make you jump that high to touch the roof Check it out yourself. That's the best way to judge it than reading through contradictory comments like these
Old 22nd February 2005, 14:01   #7
BHPian

Hey How about the new Ambassador Grand, The Isuzu 2.0 Litre engine really rocks.. The gear-shift is soft a.k.a a maruti, and surprise, surprise.. you've got a power-steering and A/C as well..

I've never liked any other vehicle after i drove this one.. The hatches from Maruti and Hyundai felt like toys and very unsafe on bangalore roads. Although they are fast and reliable, but not as safe and sturdy as our own Amby..

Check it out..
Old 22nd February 2005, 14:12   #8
BHPian

Getz would be a NO NO! I just hate that bumpy ride at the back seat. Not worth spending 5L for that kind of a ride. In general I was never impressed by Hyundai cars, although I have seen many fans of Hyundai's easy handling, including my boss .

Regarding Petra, Fiat's future really puts a BIG question mark in front of that option. Although that is the top runner as of now.

Any news about Swift hitting Indian roads?

I don't mind going for a second hand car, but are there any "genuinely good second hand" cars available? A friend of mine bought a SH Ikon 2001 model and is facing all sorts of problems with it. I heard lots of second hand car dealers try selling stolen cars, cars involved in major accidents etc.
Old 22nd February 2005, 14:24   #9
Senior - BHPian

About 2nd hand cars, I suggest, you check it through your friend/family circle. That way you can get to know bit of car history. Rule of thumb at least for me is that, an 20-30k km old vehicle can not be the same as a new one, even if supposedly a higher end car.

Other choices for you would be,
1. new esteem, (good acceleration/handling, but poor safety/ride quality).
2. Ford flair (peppy engine and decent ride).
3. Accent GLE. (allround vehicle?, would not be much of your liking though).
4. Wagon-R (reliable Jap engine)

If you are not in a hurry, wait for Swift.
Old 22nd February 2005, 14:25   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
Not true! I am myself 5'10", my cousin brother 6+ and my brother, 5'10". No one ever had a problem with Petra. It is true that there is not too much space left above your head (a few inches), but definitely not touch the roof.
Your cousin is 6'+, and still has "a few inches" above his head
on the back seat of a Petra (not Siena) ! Ha ha, -- I'd like to
see that ! Of course, if the front seats are all pulled ahead,
and one doesn't mind not getting to sit upright, then .... :-).

Last edited by meerkat : 22nd February 2005 at 14:26.
Old 22nd February 2005, 15:11   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
Not true! I am myself 5'10", my cousin brother 6+ and my brother, 5'10". No one ever had a problem with Petra. It is true that there is not too much space left above your head (a few inches), but definitely not touch the roof. And with Petra, even most uneven roads wont make you jump that high to touch the roof Check it out yourself. That's the best way to judge it than reading through contradictory comments like these
Hey RX, Understand you just took petra.. but no point in making "TALL" claims.. I think you yourself is ~ 5'8" and lets be clear seating position makes differance.. I had also noticed roof height issue with Petra. I agree with meerkat
Old 22nd February 2005, 15:42   #12
Senior - BHPian

well ,

the petra - the ikon - esteem - getz all fall into ur budget !

go for the petra u wont regret it but if u r concerned abt the fiat image - take the ikon !

if space above ur head is a concern u have the wagon-r and the santro for a choice
Old 22nd February 2005, 16:25   #13
Senior - BHPian

I never said I was 5'8" Anyway, I dont expect anyone to go and buy a Petra just because I bought one and just because I dont find any problem with it's headroom. I was quite unambiguous in my earlier post, that the best way is to go and check it out yourself.
Old 22nd February 2005, 16:29   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat
Your cousin is 6'+, and still has "a few inches" above his head
on the back seat of a Petra (not Siena) ! Ha ha, -- I'd like to
see that ! Of course, if the front seats are all pulled ahead,
and one doesn't mind not getting to sit upright, then .... :-).
He was sitting for almost 2 hours in the backseat on a countryside road and did not have problem once. Well! if you really want to find a fault, it's upto you. What we are discussing is not of academic interest, but practical one, for someone who is seriously planning to buy a car.
Old 22nd February 2005, 16:35   #15
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showth...petra+headroom

This was long before I bought Petra and I had seen this before I bought it ;-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks