Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2008, 14:26   #1
Senior - BHPian

Dilemma

Hi all,

For the last 4 years, i have been driving a WagonR LXi. Been pretty much satisfied with it, except for dated interiors and looks.

What i am looking is for a change, not an upgrade (as to a sedan). So i am looking at a car in the 4-4.5 lacs range. The reasons i am thinking of changing from a hatch to a hatch:

1. I don't really need a sedan. My driving is 95% limited to city roads only.
2. WagonR is commanding a good resale at this point of time. However, possibility of launch of A-Star and Splash in the near future would mean that WagonR's resale would go southwards.
3. 4 years is what i think a good time to change/upgrade, considering taking various factors into account (eg, resale, maintenance etc.). Need your views on this.
4. I need something having more comfortable back seat (for my mom). Besides, some very basic features like internally adjustable ORVMs and power windows is missing in my current car.

Cars shortlisted:

Hyundai i10 Magna
Swift VXi
Palio Stile MJD SLE
Hyundai Getz 1.1 GVS

Requirements:

1. Reasonably spacious. Atleast more than wagonR
2. Decent lower end and in gear acceleration. Outright 0-100 does not matter.
3. Power windows, adjustable OVRMS, good AC.
4. Refined engine.

I test drove the Magna the other day, was thoroughly impressed. BUT, i saw some comments here that the beige dashboard reflects on the windscreen, resulting in eye strain and dry eyes. Now this is something i DO NOT want. Is it such a big issue? Owners, could you please shed more light on this?

Regarding Palio MJD, are there any discounts available on this model. I test drove the DZire ZDi the other day, and was in absolute love with the engine. Even though my monthly running does not warrant a diesel, i would buy an MJD powered car just for the performance and superb in-gear acceleration. Does Palio MJD drive the same way as DZire/VDi ? The reason for not considering Swift VDi - out of budget and 6 months waiting period.

And how is the performance of Getz 1.1 as compared to WagonR ? Is it as lethargic as the Palio Stile ? Or is it that the Getz going to be replaced by i20 very very soon? (say 2-3 months)

Please pour your suggestions.

Last edited by DCEite : 11th June 2008 at 14:35.
Old 11th June 2008, 14:55   #2
Team-BHP Support

Beige interiors will not lead to driver strain etc., I have driven multiple beige interior cars long distance too, and reflection was never an issue
However avoid hyundai for 2-3 months, there is an impressive model lineup coming soon, and the magma may get a more powerful engine(instead of the 1.1 current engine). Rumor is 1.2 69 bhp.
Even a 1.1 crdE is on the cards and will be priced similar to swift D.

As for Palio MJD, test drive one and see if you like it. People get turned of by the large turning circle and city driving/tight parking can be an issue for some people.
But without a test drive you never know.

On the spare's front, atleast in Noida the situation is grim, you can check with Delhi Palio owners for details.
Old 11th June 2008, 15:15   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Regarding Palio MJD, are there any discounts available on this model.
As far as i know, there are no discounts for the Palio MJD (atleast here in Bangalore).
Old 11th June 2008, 15:52   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,

I test drove the Magna the other day, was thoroughly impressed. BUT, i saw some comments here that the beige dashboard reflects on the windscreen, resulting in eye strain and dry eyes. Now this is something i DO NOT want. Is it such a big issue? Owners, could you please shed more light on this?
Yes, the dashboard reflects on the windscreen.
No, It is not such a big issue. Not in city driving. Not while driving on highways.

i10 will deifinitely score on the last three points that you mentioned but regarding the space, you need to take a TD and check it out yourself.
Old 11th June 2008, 15:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

DCEite, though Palio has a bit larger turning radius compared to other hatches, it is not a pain and you will get used to it pretty soon.

The pick-up and power in Palio MJD is very good, do a TD and check it out yourself.

Since Palio MJD is selling well, there are no discounts as of now.
Old 11th June 2008, 15:56   #6
BHPian

Changing a car just for a change. How many Kms has your wagon r done?
If not above 50K then I dont see any reason why you would change your car. You can get Power Windows Installed in your wagonR from Maruti. ORVM option is not there in I10 too.
I own a I10 its a good car and Beige interior has never been a hinderance while driving. Hinderance can be more of psycohological then real for people who actually face it.
My suggestion would be to wait for New lot of cars coming this year and next Year.You'll have more choices then. No wonder your resale will take a Hit but It would also mean drop in Current Hatches prices too. So if you go for Current Cars at that time after selling your WagonR the difference will still be same.

What I really feel is that changing to i10, getz, swift from wagonr will definately give you initial happiness but after few months I think you'll rather regret wasting your money on new car which you never needed in first place. Think about it.
Old 11th June 2008, 15:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

You can consider Getz GVS 1.3 which is slightly over your budget but is a good allrounder.
Getz is spacious compared to wagon-R. Has lots of space.
Superb and silent engine.
Has decent low end torque and powerfull too
Has PW, PS, AC, Internal adjustable ORVMS+60:40 split seats and many more
Old 11th June 2008, 16:02   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodystopme View Post
ORVM option is not there in I10 too.
I own a I10 its a good car and Beige interior has never been a hinderance while driving.
ORVM as per my understanding is Outside Rear View Mirror.

and according to what I could get from DCEite was that he wanted a car with "Internally controlled ORVM's" and that is pretty much there in I10.
Old 11th June 2008, 17:32   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
And how is the performance of Getz 1.1 as compared to WagonR ?
I own a WagonR too. Went to test drive the i10 when it was launched. But, the i10 felt like a very refined WagonR. The interiors and refinement were much better than the WagonR, but the engine seemed to behave the same. However, its a brilliant overall package, and delivers the 'class' thats missing in the WagonR

Then casually took a test drive of Getz 1.1, and was very much impressed. There is a peppiness to the car, that is missing in the i10. My impressions on these cars are given in this thread-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ads-share.html
Quote:
Does Palio MJD drive the same way as DZire/VDi?
IMHO, no. Although the engine is same, the two cars behave differently because of the power and torque differences, combined with the tall gearing in the Palio! There is a 2 sec difference to 100 kmph.
Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Since Palio MJD is selling well, there are no discounts as of now.
Unfortunately, this is not the truth. Palio sales figures for May is just 461 cars. Three months sales figures shows even the Multijet hasn't made an impact.

Since you are planning to change cars every four cars, Palio wont make sense IMO- 1. The resale value is very poor, and 2. The car is rumoured to be replaced in 2009, which could further hit resale and spares.
Old 11th June 2008, 17:51   #10
Team-BHP Support

DCEite, bandhu hold on to your car for now. I really do not think you need to replace your car as yet. If you look at the current crop of hatches most of them (in your range) add little incremental value over your WagonR to spend that kind of moolah.

If you are interested in a peppy diesel, say a Swift, well that may be a different proposition but otherwise I do not see why you should really change your car. I do not think with your limited daily driving you would have clocked an awful lot of kms either to think of a replacement.
Old 11th June 2008, 18:11   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Beige interiors will not lead to driver strain etc.,
Yes, but a light colored DASHBOARD does reflect on the inside of the windshield and can be a major annoyance, blocking your vision. You will see taxi wallas putting black cloth on their dashes to fix this.

All your choices are good. You might throw in the Swift diesel also. Do not be afraid of a diesel. They give long economical service and the Swift diesel is a good performer.
Old 11th June 2008, 18:13   #12
BHPian

I agree. There is no need to worry about maintenance related headaches and expenses on a 4 year old hatchback from MUL!. It also depends on the running it has done, the way it was handled, maintained etc.

Go for a change only if you are opting for a diesel (if you see more usage in future)

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodystopme View Post
What I really feel is that changing to i10, getz, swift from wagonr will definately give you initial happiness but after few months I think you'll rather regret wasting your money on new car which you never needed in first place. Think about it.
Old 11th June 2008, 20:58   #13
BHPian

The car which best suits your requirements is the Chevy Aveo-UVA IMHO.

- It has one of the best back seat.

- Among the hatches it has the max.space.

- The engine may not have Outright Acceleration but has great Torque to drive around in the city.

- Has basic features such as internally adjustcble ORVM,PW,PS,AC..etc.You even get ABS & Airbags as option.

- With Chevy 3 year warranty you shall have no problem maintaining it.
Old 12th June 2008, 09:06   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Cars shortlisted:

Hyundai i10 Magna
Swift VXi
Palio Stile MJD SLE
Hyundai Getz 1.1 GVS

Requirements:
2. Decent lower end and in gear acceleration. Outright 0-100 does not matter.
Remove Swift Vxi(Point 2). Remove Getz 1.1(too small engine for that car).
Bring in Getz 1.3.

Last edited by kuttapan : 12th June 2008 at 09:15.
Old 12th June 2008, 09:40   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Yes, but a light colored DASHBOARD does reflect on the inside of the windshield and can be a major annoyance, blocking your vision. You will see taxi wallas putting black cloth on their dashes to fix this.

All your choices are good. You might throw in the Swift diesel also. Do not be afraid of a diesel. They give long economical service and the Swift diesel is a good performer.
I have never found this "annoyance" while driving beige interiors in the sun. Maybe its because the beige is not glossy beige.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks