Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2008, 15:42   #1
Senior - BHPian

Alto VX 1.1L

Dear All,

I am about to finalize the deal for an 2001 Alto VX 1.1L which is in mint condition from Maruti Truevalue (Run only 25000Kms). This car will be a standby and will basically be used for short trips by my wifey and dad.

Frankly speaking I was not impressed by .8L Alto and was looking for a Zen; will 1.1 Alto excite me? Can somebody throw some light so that I can make a decision.

Last edited by jacs : 8th July 2008 at 15:43.
Old 8th July 2008, 15:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

Go for it buddy as i have a 1.1 VXI too and 25K is a reasonable odo reading for the 2001 alto. Being a 1.1 alto owner i can vouch for its handling and as you say you will be the second owner it should be a good deal.
How much is he quoting?
Old 8th July 2008, 15:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

The Alto vx 1.1 is a wonderful car. Sad they stopped it and put that engine in the WagonR. I have 4 of them in the family and thet are going as strong as ever with over 60 k kms each on the Odo. I think the one you are lookin for would be without p.s.(not too sure) but its not really needed as much.

Take a good td before you decide. Browse the thread on tips on pre owned cars.
How much is the guy quoting. My FIL recently sold one of his 1.1's for 1.35, 40 k kms done. Sorry dont remember what model, but was the older one the one without p.s.

Last edited by sammyboy : 8th July 2008 at 15:50.
Old 8th July 2008, 15:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

How much is they are asking for?

I guess around 1.5 L would be ok price for it.

The Alto 1.1 VX is largely trouble free, spare parts is also not much of an issue, since the engine is same as WagonR and Estilo, and body same as Alto 0.8.

Performance and FE is quite good, its a little pocket rocket. Not as refined as the Zen's 1.0 L All aluminum engine though, but good none the less, and can put to shame some of the larger hatches in acceleration.
Old 8th July 2008, 16:05   #5
Senior - BHPian

@jacs how much is the true value quoting ?
Old 8th July 2008, 16:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

Jacs I believe The car isa Non Power Steering one & since it would be driven by your wife & Dad I suggest you take proper test drive as the 1.1 is quite heavy to steer with out a power steering.

Having said that, its a fantastic car & the one you have seen looks like a really good piece

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite
I guess around 1.5 L would be ok price for it.
Well the 1.1 still demands a premium since it was such a fantastic package.

See what car wale suggests for price

Alto VX 1.1L-alto.jpg
Old 8th July 2008, 16:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

I was quoted 1.85L for a 2001 model wayyyyy back in 2004, so anything above 1.25 is toooo much.
Old 8th July 2008, 16:19   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
can put to shame some of the larger hatches in acceleration.
, during one of my drives to Bangy from Mangalore I had this so called Pocket Rocket for company all through.The dude was giving me some serious competition and the car's initial acceleration was good enough to give the baleno a run for its money.
Old 8th July 2008, 16:23   #9
Senior - BHPian

Do take a testdrive and ofcourse as others mentioned about the possible price range you should look for as also with no power steering. Keeping all this in mind you can decide.

OT: Now that makes me Proud
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
, during one of my drives to Bangy from Mangalore I had this so called Pocket Rocket for company all through.The dude was giving me some serious competition and the car's initial acceleration was good enough to give the baleno a run for its money.
Old 8th July 2008, 16:26   #10
Senior - BHPian

Thanks everyone for the prompt response.

Small cars are bit expensive in Kerala compared to north, they quoted 1.8L and 1.7 final.

I think its almost 20K more than open market price in Kerala. But Maruti direclty gives 1 year warranty and 3 free service along with it (only for mechanics not for cosmetic works ).
Old 9th July 2008, 14:22   #11
Senior - BHPian

To the Gurus one question!!! What is the engine life for a well maintained 1.1 engine?

You might think why I am asking this....Answer is we would like to use it for another 3-5 years as a second car though it may be used only for short trips. I like to go for a trouble free vehicle.

We will be testdriving the car today eve and would like to close the deal ASAP if its running smooth!
Old 9th July 2008, 14:38   #12
BHPian

I have a 2001 Alto VX. It's odo reading is appx 40000 km. It is trouble free so far. Not used every day. Only used on weekends for 50-100 km. So, you should not worry about occasional use.
Old 10th July 2008, 09:20   #13
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

Yesterday my dad and uncle had testdriven the car. The engine seems to be a gem and couldnt point any problem apart from the worn-out front tires and old battery which they have agreed to replace with a new one. Also the seat covers were in dull condition which would hopefully get replaced (We know one of the managers personally who spoke for us). They were so happy to see not even a minor scratch or sign of rust on the car though its not brought to showroom condition by Maruti profs.
During the drive car climbed uphills on 3rd with AC turned on (My dad is a perfectionist so he tried all means) and the only expecting worry is FE which they claim to be mixed drive 15KMPL with AC!!!

The deal is closed for 1.65L. The car will be delivered tomorrow after completing the Wheel allignment, polishing and underbody coating. Overall I feel happy about the buy and is eagerly waiting to drive it when I go native.
Old 10th July 2008, 09:27   #14
BANNED

Congratulations buddy!
Once upon a time, I used to own one of these beauties and all I can say is it was a true hot hatch.

Take good care of her and she'll keep you happy for long.
Old 10th July 2008, 09:27   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Jacs on the purchase and the price might be due to the less odo reading inspite of 7 odd years and trouble free riding. Have a good one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks