Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2005, 19:19   #1
BANNED

Which Car should I buy????

Hi Friends,
M new to this forum and active member of XBHP, just now decided to buy a car but m confused about which should i go for as this Car m going to use it for another 2 years and after that i'll buy some other car with boot space. My criteria is a 2nd hand Hand Hatch back, with atleast 60 BHP engine. I short listed Alto 1.1 as others i dont like, like Santro and Wagon R's shape sucks, Fiat service problem, Indi seemd to be a Cab, 800 sucks in terms of power n AC. So the only option is to go for an Alto 1.1 i know it's been stopped more then a year ago but i dont have any other choice, kindly suggest about my decission and also the pricing of good Alto between 1-3 years old.
Old 1st March 2005, 19:21   #2
BANNED

Why dont you look at a Zen.. pretty good car in all aspects..
Old 1st March 2005, 19:25   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz
Hi Friends,
i dont like, like Santro and Wagon R's shape sucks, Fiat service problem, Indi seemd to be a Cab, 800 sucks in terms of power n AC. So the only option is to go for an Alto 1.1 i know it's been stopped more then a year ago but i dont have any other choice, kindly suggest about my decission and also the pricing of good Alto between 1-3 years old.
I think so you can go for Alto 1.1 as you have eliminated all the A and B segment cars and also another good option is to check out for a Zen which you can get for a good price in the second hand market
Old 1st March 2005, 19:29   #4
BANNED

Thanks friedns for u r replies but i think ZEN is toooo old to buy in that much of price and putting a new head lamp, new grill, new tail lamp wont make it worth to buy. And i dont concider it as a good Car now.
Old 1st March 2005, 19:35   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz
Thanks friedns for u r replies but i think ZEN is toooo old to buy in that much of price and putting a new head lamp, new grill, new tail lamp wont make it worth to buy. And i dont concider it as a good Car now.
The Zen is one of the best cars on the Indian roads Also there is Getz but you wont find it in 2nd hand now
Old 1st March 2005, 23:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

Have you test driven the Alto? the car is extremely uncomfortable for anyone more than 5ft 4in tall.
Old 1st March 2005, 23:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

Go for the Alto 1.1, but if fuel economy is not an issue, then consider the indica petrol (V2). better performance than the alto and overall a better car.

Indica V2 petrol
Good performance
Cheap spares
Spacious and comfortable.

Dislikes
Fuel efficiency (around 9kmpl in city and 15kmpl on highway)
Engine can be a touch noisy.
Gearshift quality could have been better.

An indica petrol v2 can be found pretty cheap as well in the second hand market. i sold my fully loaded 2 year old v2 for 2.8 lakhs.

Drifter

Last edited by drifter : 1st March 2005 at 23:36.
Old 2nd March 2005, 02:09   #8
BHPian

i dunno why u say zen is NOT A GOOD CAR. im not saying because i own it, but the road is atleast 20% filled with zens
Old 2nd March 2005, 21:26   #9
BANNED

Hmmm i am 5'10" tall and i use to drive 800 5 years back without any problem, so i dont think so Alto creates any problem for my height. Indica daily i am getting from my company for pickups and drop so i dont wanted the same car for weekends too. Zen is in India for more then 10 years and in outside market it use to sold as Alto now its completly out from Abroad so i dont want outdated Car atleast for next 2 years.
Old 2nd March 2005, 21:42   #10
Senior - BHPian

well, if i were you, i would have gone for the WagonR.
I am 5,11 and used to drive M800. And now i cannot drive M800 beacause it feels too cramped compared to the wagon. The front elbow, head, shoulder and legroom of wagonr are simply superb.

Infact, 1 and a half years ago.. i had similar views on wagonR.. (dabba shape)... and had decided to buy Alto.. but when i test drove both..WagonR was the clear winner.... its more modern (generations ahead of Zen), has a more powerful engine than Zen, as fuel efficient as Zen, has the same cost as Zen...
heck! why do ppl buy Zen???
Old 2nd March 2005, 22:14   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite
well, if i were you, i would have gone for the WagonR.
I am 5,11 and used to drive M800. And now i cannot drive M800 beacause it feels too cramped compared to the wagon. The front elbow, head, shoulder and legroom of wagonr are simply superb.

Infact, 1 and a half years ago.. i had similar views on wagonR.. (dabba shape)... and had decided to buy Alto.. but when i test drove both..WagonR was the clear winner.... its more modern (generations ahead of Zen), has a more powerful engine than Zen, as fuel efficient as Zen, has the same cost as Zen...
heck! why do ppl buy Zen???
decite they have decresed the heights of the wagon R and santro after some complains of its toplling..
Old 2nd March 2005, 22:29   #12
Senior - BHPian

well never heard of a wagonr toppling!.. infact heard somewhere in this forum that a Zen toppled while taking a U turn!...
I guess all cars are topple-tested before they are brought to the market. The ground clearance of wagonR is quite low (165mm)... so that brings down c.g a bit close to earth...
Old 2nd March 2005, 22:59   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite
well never heard of a wagonr toppling!.. infact heard somewhere in this forum that a Zen toppled while taking a U turn!...
I guess all cars are topple-tested before they are brought to the market. The ground clearance of wagonR is quite low (165mm)... so that brings down c.g a bit close to earth...
that will make it lesser for it to topple.. as the lesser the ground clearance the more is the grip..

I have heard of earlier wagon r and santro (post 2000 models) topple..

how did a zen topple..
Old 2nd March 2005, 23:05   #14
BHPian

There is no difference in the bodyshell of the New Wagon R.The Santro Xing only has minor frontal and rear differences,compared to the old 1.1.Both the Wagon R and the Xing are of the exact same height as their predecessors.All this talk about these cars toppling is all just loose talk.No car topples on its own,does it?A dimwit behind the wheel of one of the worlds best cars could manage to turn it on it's head.No fault of the wretched car,now is it?Unless you're talking about the infamous Elk test?But that's irrelevant in India anyway.The Wagon R & the Xing are quite capable cars in their category.The Zen WAS good.The new shape has destroyed it and let's face it,the interior is almost as cramped as an 800 (AND the Alto!!).No offence to the ex-world car,I still love to drive one,but it's getting old.Nuff said.
Old 3rd March 2005, 08:26   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybach
that will make it lesser for it to topple.. as the lesser the ground clearance the more is the grip..

I have heard of earlier wagon r and santro (post 2000 models) topple..

how did a zen topple..

here is the link http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showth...3&page=3&pp=15

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks