Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2008, 10:44   #31
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Just curious, may I ask why? I've read rave reviews about the Swift vdi. Except for a few rattles and slightly less back space, it seems to be a great vehicle.
its ugly.
but hey thats my opinion.
I love the box (Wagon) but cannot stand the crouching frog(Swift).
Old 22nd August 2008, 12:17   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
TCO of palio MJD will be much higher than Swift VDI over a 100000 km. Here is my calculations -

1. ex showroom price of VDI is 20K more than ex showroom price of MJD - SDX
2. Service cost over 100000 km MJD would be at least 10 K more than swift (Cost of spare parts of Palio is way above swift and this is a conservative estimate).
3. Selling price of swift after 100000 kms will be 50K more than Palio.(Going by the resale value we have seen of palio so far).

So one would easily spend lesser on Swift VDI than on palio on a longrun.
Moreover you will find the service much better and faster than a palio service (Which today is really sad).
I have lots of problems with your analysis, though I'm myself buying a VDi.
a. Much higher TCO is as incorrect as it gets. You forget that the appropriate opportunity cost for the 30k onroad difference is investment at ~10-12%
b. Resale value will differ by 40-70k or whatever's left of it. Very few junta want hatchbacks that've done 1L km
c. Servicing cost will not be that much different because of insurance and the fact that the Palio is a really sturdy car (inspite of people's notions)
d. There's some value definitely to the comfort/space/suspension setup of Palio.
e. What is the killer though are the service centers. Find me a <15km tata-fiat service center that even mirrors a Bajaj service center (forget Maruti/Honda) and I'll buy a Palio today. However, what is true for Gurgaon is NOT true for delhi, and bblost is the best person to comment for Hyderabad, neither me, nor you
Old 22nd August 2008, 12:59   #33
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I would like to lay strong emphasis that my question is essentially about the $$ point.
Anyone who has posted in favour of the MJD, purely for $$$ reasons, has got to be kidding.

1. DEPRECIATION : Your WagonR is 4 years old and has suffered substantial depreciation already. Cars depreciate the quickest in the initial 3 - 4 years. Holding on to the Wagon now will see it lose lesser YOY value in comparison. Also, the Palio is a resale disaster, MJD or no MJD. You will stand to lose a massive amount of $$$ in the next 3 - 4 years in depreciation alone.

2. Running costs : You have covered only 34,000kms in 4 years. Thats about 8500 kms p.a. or 750 kms a month. You won't benefit at all from paying 3 lakh rupees more, purely for diesel economy.

Keep the Wagon and save your money. Period.
Old 22nd August 2008, 13:13   #34
BHPian

like how lot of people have suggested, keep the Wagon R.
it just doesnt make sense to sell a perfectly working Wagon R for a new Palio(read an almost 8 years old model), especially when the GP is just round the corner.
This also explains my reason for having bought a 2nd hand palio instead of a new one. Waiting with anticpation for the GP.

I am a Fiat and Palio lover, but still I would not trade the Wagon R for a new palio at this juncture.
Old 22nd August 2008, 14:36   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I have lots of problems with your analysis, though I'm myself buying a VDi.
a. Much higher TCO is as incorrect as it gets. You forget that the appropriate opportunity cost for the 30k onroad difference is investment at ~10-12%
b. Resale value will differ by 40-70k or whatever's left of it. Very few junta want hatchbacks that've done 1L km
c. Servicing cost will not be that much different because of insurance and the fact that the Palio is a really sturdy car (inspite of people's notions)
d. There's some value definitely to the comfort/space/suspension setup of Palio.
e. What is the killer though are the service centers. Find me a <15km tata-fiat service center that even mirrors a Bajaj service center (forget Maruti/Honda) and I'll buy a Palio today. However, what is true for Gurgaon is NOT true for delhi, and bblost is the best person to comment for Hyderabad, neither me, nor you
1. I am not sure where you came out with a 30K onroad price difference. 20K ex showroom can't be 30K onroad.

2. Used car market for diesel cars are very good. Even tata cars sell well with 1L km on the board. I am sure Swift would also sell. I am not sure whether there would be any takers for Palio. This estimate is all based on the current market for both swift and Palio.

3. What has insurance cost to do with servicing and spares. Wear and tear do happen and cost of repairs of Palio is much higher than Swift due to expensive non indian parts. Also availability of spares is a big question mark (See the reports on this forum on few folks who have suffered due to unavailability of FIAT spares at TATA A.S.S. before tatas it was pathetic ). A palio gets stuck for more than a month in the garage if it comes to repairs.

yes I agree with you that palio has a bit more leg space than swift especially in the rear.
Old 22nd August 2008, 15:40   #36
Senior - BHPian

1. Yaar, I almost prepared the DD. I should know. 5.08 something versus 538402.
2. Similar age 1.9D sells almost twice the rate of the 1.2 here in Delhi. (5-6 years vintage, with diesel havin 20k more km). Which is why i gave a broader estimate. actually make that 50-80k difference which is why i say, whatever the car will get then!
3. Let's go one level further - cost for indian stuff in palio is 30-40% more. if your pados workshop has brazilian, god forbid. But you forget - the palio has a 3 year unlimited mileage (or 1.5L km warranty). Parts do come now, yes they may take max a week worst case(unless engine problem with say 1.9D) and Fiat is very very responsive. I can personally vouch for them.

With Indica Vista, all engine components are shared. Only the mechanicals will be a question-that was never too long a wait in the current scenario. And palio has super sturdy mechanicals IMNSHO. Insurance will cover the non-warranty items no?!

Last edited by phamilyman : 22nd August 2008 at 15:42.
Old 24th August 2008, 14:19   #37
Senior - BHPian

Hey PM, Now you have the Indica Vista to add to the confusion ( give you an option). Palio, MJD does not seem to be a a very good option now. IV, is a modern design and has the best mechanicals from the FIAT bin.
Old 24th August 2008, 16:20   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yesterday I started this thread.
Putting down in words the thoughts that were running thru my head.

But.

I drove back home after office.
The traffic was heavy as usual. some trance playing on the ICE.
The cabin silent as usual and the mood setting in right.
The roads appearing on the windscreen and disappearing in the rear views.
My car spoke to me.
I cannot change her.
Maybe I need to get my thoughts set in straight.
Apologies to my car and terms of endearment again.

Flashes of the highways she has taken me thru.
Momenst spent in her alone and with my loved ones.
My nephew crying, my neice smiling.
My neice sitting with pillows on the lap in the center of the rear seat.
Picking up my parents from the station.
The look on my dad when I arrived home in Chennai.
My wife getting angry and then getting happy when I suprise her by driving on to necklace road.
The trauma that accompanied the first scratch.
Anger at the first traffic nudge.
Changing the flat tire on a hot summer afternoon just after lunch.
Driving to an ice cream spot with barely any money.
Searching for a petrol bunk in the middle of nowhere.

I love my car. She loves me.
Somethings don't add up in money terms.
I would request the mods to close this thread.
But it has some fine comments and great points in it.
It will help anyone who might walk the same road.

My weekend is set.
Wash - Wax - Detail.
My offering of love.
Touché!!!

Can't help but ask - did you write this after cheers:?? Just that the creativity was so... "flowing"!!!
Old 27th August 2008, 16:39   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Yesterday I started this thread.
Putting down in words the thoughts that were running thru my head.. . . . . . . . .
. . . . ..My weekend is set.
Wash - Wax - Detail.
My offering of love.
Pure poetry. haiku in it's team-bhp avatar. Simply lovely!
Old 27th August 2008, 21:37   #40
Team-BHP Support

Just in case you have missed this

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...rade-swap.html
Old 27th August 2008, 21:51   #41
Team-BHP Support

Thanks Eddy.

I have already gone thru that thread and I think thats good only if you are buying a car that is substantially more expensive than the one you currently own.
That thread will be more relevant in this context if I was thinking of moving to either a SX4 or a Verna.
When the move is to a car that uses Deisel and costs not more than 3Lakhs over and above the cost of my car.
I actually think that the financial impact will be quite neutral.
Old 28th August 2008, 14:12   #42
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
When the move is to a car that uses Deisel and costs not more than 3Lakhs over and above the cost of my car.
I actually think that the financial impact will be quite neutral.
Wrong. The Palio depreciates like stink, MJD or not. Rest of the matter from my first post on this thread. You will NOT save any money by selling the WagonR and upgrading to the MJD. Do it for other reasons, but surely not financial.
Old 28th August 2008, 14:19   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Wrong. The Palio depreciates like stink, MJD or not. Rest of the matter from my first post on this thread. You will NOT save any money by selling the WagonR and upgrading to the MJD. Do it for other reasons, but surely not financial.

The Vista changes that argument.
I should have clarified that in my earlier post.
Old 2nd September 2008, 22:30   #44
BANNED

Yeah, I feel the same. If it ain't broken don't fix it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks