Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2008, 01:44   #1
BHPian

Confusion among WagonR, A-Star & its variants

Hi Ajay,

Currently I am planning to buy a car by the end of this month (because of the attractive discounts). I have short listed the WagonR (Petrol & Duo), Zen Estillo and the A-Star. I have a budget of around 4 lacs.

There are many other cars which fall into this range but I haven’t short listed them for various reason E.g. I haven’t short listed the Santro because I don’t like its looks and interiors (my personal opinion). The I10 Kappa and the Swift are beyond my budget and the central console of the Spark is unattractive (again my personal opinion)

I can go for any of the above cars and its variants but there is a little confusion. I am not confused among the cars but among the variants of the cars.

Say in WagonR LXi and VXi, if I go for the LXi and upgrade it with say power windows and Fog Lamps and a good security system, would it be a good option or should I stick with the VXi Version? Also the accessory socket is missing in the LXi, is it of any use other than lighting a cigarette.

Also in the case of A-Star, the LXi version as compared to the VXi version is different in the following parameters
  • Security System
  • Remote controlled central Door Locks
  • Power Windows (All 4)
  • Integrated Audio System and
  • The number of speakers.
Say I take the LXi and a good security system which takes care of the power windows and the remote locking in addition to sensor and impact detection. Would that be a good idea? I am going for an ICE so that would take care of the Audio System.

I am also planning to buy a good security system and ICE.

Security System .I have heard that there are some systems which automatically roll-ups the windows when I am locking the car. (Planning to install Power Windows on the rear doors too if I go for the WagonR or have a security system having an option of Power Windows).
I would want to know the price of such systems and the places available in Mumbai other than the dealers.
The dealers were saying that if I go for some other security system or after market ICE, I may void my warranty.

Regarding the ICE, my budget is around 15K. Any combination would suffice for me, but would not prefer to go beyond my budget. Also would not want to sacrifice my boot space. I listen to all kinds of music which mostly depends on my mood.

What are the standard accessories I should be looking at when I taking delivery of the car? Can anyone prove me a link where I can get a list of accessories that the dealer may provide for free (say mud flaps, floor mats etc).
Also a list of other accessories which I may need to pay for like a good sun film, cover, car wash wax, Luggage Tray etc.

Also does WagonR and A-Star come with a tubeless tyre, if it doesn't should I go for one or let the factory fitted tyres stay?

As far as my details of driving is concerned.

My car would be mostly for city driving (around 35-40 kms daily) with a trip outside Mumbai every 2 months. I will be driving the car all the time with rare usage by my Dad.

I am planning to keep the car for about 2.5 – 3.5 years.
So my query here is whether I should go for Petrol or the Duo

I have gone to a couple of Maruti Dealers in Mumbai namely Spectra Motors in Borivali-E (Closest to my residence) & Sai Service – Andheri. Both have told me to bring the lowest price from any other dealer and they will give me a better deal. Can anyone help me as to which dealer is better in terms of A.S.S and responsiveness?

Hope I haven’t missed out anything here

Can I get a contact number of an experienced Team-Bhp member in Mumbai whom I can call up (say disturb) to ask my queries (if I have anything else other than the above)

Sorry for the long thread, thought if I post all my queries together, would get a packaged solution. Also I apologize if I have posted in the wrong thread or repeated what was already there on another thread. I browsed through many threads but I thought specifically asking my requirements would give me a personalized answers.
Old 8th December 2008, 09:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

I haven't read your whole post, but if its between WagonR and A-Star, i would suggest you go for the A-Star since it has
- better build
- better interior quality
- better engine refinement
- better looking
- better gear shift
- Will hold better resale value
- More suited to take on occasional highway trips.

Go for the wagonR only if you prefer practicality over all the above advantages. Tall seating, ease of egress and ingress, huge boot space, better all round visibility are some of the + points of this practical hatch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heman
Hi Ajay,
Old 8th December 2008, 10:27   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heman View Post
Also the accessory socket is missing in the LXi, is it of any use other than lighting a cigarette.
Can also be used for mobile phone charging, for laptops, portable airpumps, etc...

Anyways, this socket can be added later on for as little as Rs. 500 including installation cost.

If you can list the price differences between the LXI and VXI, then it'll be better to advice further.

And as DCEite says, A-Star is newer and better and you should go for it than the Wagon R in my opinion.
Old 8th December 2008, 10:39   #4
Team-BHP Support

I drive a Wagon R. Love the versatile design, ease of ingress/ egress, boot space.

My relative just bought a A Star. Took delivery yesterday.
I am yet to drive it and just saw it once.
My first impression is that the car is short.
The rear windows are small.
Inside the console looked very matter of fact and a huge dial with all the indicators around it.
This was the Lxi variant.

My relative is very happy with the car.

I would recommend it over the Wagon simply because the Wagon might itself be replaced by the Ritz/ Splash.

The Santro given its current pricing looks very interesting.

Are you sure you want to buy a car and retain it for only 3 years.
A car suffers maximum depreciation in the initial 3 years.
And given the fact that today cars have a high degree of reliability built into them please consider your choice.
If your idea is to upgrade your car to a bigger one 3 years hence.
I suggest you compare the cost of bigger car ownership NOW and the depreciation losses for a small car.
just my 2 paise.
Old 8th December 2008, 10:45   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

I would recommend it over the Wagon simply because the Wagon might itself be replaced by the Ritz/ Splash.
Yes. that's true.

Quote:
I suggest you compare the cost of bigger car ownership NOW and the depreciation losses for a small car.
just my 2 paise.
A very valid point. Hope this doesn't throw a spanner in the works and add to his confusion though. However, since he has a baleno (mentioned in his profile) i guess he is looking for a small car.

Any specific reason for the 3 year period?
Old 8th December 2008, 11:49   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
If you can list the price differences between the LXI and VXI, then it'll be better to advice further.

And as DCEite says, A-Star is newer and better and you should go for it than the Wagon R in my opinion.
(All ON-Road approximate prices )
The Wagon LXI costs 405000 and the VXI costs 431000.
There is a discount for WagonR of 35000 and a Corporate Discount (I am eligible) of 4500

The A-star LXi costs 402000 and the VXI costs 435000 with no discounts.

Quote:
Are you sure you want to buy a car and retain it for only 3 years.
A car suffers maximum depreciation in the initial 3 years.
And given the fact that today cars have a high degree of reliability built into them please consider your choice.
just my 2 paise.
Quote:
A very valid point. Hope this doesn't throw a spanner in the works and add to his confusion though. However, since he has a baleno (mentioned in his profile) i guess he is looking for a small car.

Any specific reason for the 3 year period?
The Baleno is being used by my Dad but I frequently use it over the weekend. I am going in for a new car for my daily office travel.

The reason for the 3 year period is that I might not want to stick with one car for a long time although I may reconsider the decision at that point.
Old 8th December 2008, 12:18   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I would go for the A-Star LXi and use the 33k for accessories. I'm sure you can use the 4500 corporate discount for this car as well.

However, if your budget is price sensitive then Wagon R gives good value for money with the discounts being offered.

Having said the above two points, i would go for the petrol A-Star for the simple fact that it is one generation ahead of the Wagon R. Another advantage is that it will have a better resale value than the Wagon R after 3 years.
Old 8th December 2008, 14:50   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heman View Post
Say in WagonR LXi and VXi, if I go for the LXi and upgrade it with say power windows and Fog Lamps and a good security system, would it be a good option or should I stick with the VXi Version?
Power windows + security system (integrated) = starting from 15K
Fog lamps OE = 1.5K.

How does the price difference look now?

Quote:
Also the accessory socket is missing in the LXi, is it of any use other than lighting a cigarette.
Yes - to charge a mobile (overnight journey), run a GPS receiver, etc.

Quote:
  • Security System
  • Remote controlled central Door Locks
  • Power Windows (All 4)
Actually certain security systems integrate all three.

Quote:
  • Integrated Audio System and
  • The number of speakers.
Do not buy a car for the audio only. You will be always better off buying your own audio system.

Quote:
addition to sensor and impact detection. Would that be a good idea?
Actually, impact sensors are a bad idea. The expensive systems will have it anyway, and you will be better off disabling this feature - to prevent false alarms.

Quote:
Regarding the ICE, my budget is around 15K. Any combination would suffice for me, but would not prefer to go beyond my budget. Also would not want to sacrifice my boot space. I listen to all kinds of music which mostly depends on my mood.
Lucky you, that you asked it here. If you had asked this question in the ICE section - be assured that they will make you spend twice that. I got Pio 4050, 3 (or was it 4?) inch blaupunkt in front dash, and Pio 6x9 ovals in rear hatch door of my Wagon R. This should cost you around 10K. With your budget, go in for JBL speakers all around. Or go in for 5050HU. Or both.

Quote:
What are the standard accessories I should be looking at when I taking delivery of the car?
Sorry. The ISO / BIS does nto have a standard on this!!!

Actually, depends on your bargaining power, and the car you choose. Non-moving cars means more accessories; newer, higher end cars with waiting periods means no accessories - actually, the dealer will ask you to purchase accessories from him at a premium for on time delivery.

Quote:
Also does WagonR and A-Star come with a tubeless tyre,
WagonR - no. A-star - dunno.

Quote:
if it doesn't should I go for one or let the factory fitted tyres stay?
Your decision, really.

Quote:
Both have told me to bring the lowest price from any other dealer and they will give me a better deal.
Make out your own deal, and play them out!!

Do look out for the checklist for new deleveries, and also "buying a new car" thread. Search the forum.
Old 8th December 2008, 18:50   #9
Senior - BHPian

Well as you are going to use the car for city driving, between both of them I would suggest A-star. It is more modern and from what I have read, the ride quality is better than Wagon R. Also the chassis and powertrain are all new. All the features city cars have along with a not very spacious rear seat.

Wagon R is good and I think it will have better visibility, but the A-star is more modern and better option as compared to aging rather aged Wagon R. However if you are going to have passengers in the rear seat for highway driving, go for Wagon R.

IMO:
A-star positive points:

1) More efficient engine with better power and torque ( but a three cylinder ). Good enough for a city car.
2) Better transmission than Wagon R.
3) Better build quality ( both interiors and body ) than Wagon R.
4) Better ride quality than Wagon R.
5) Better looks than Wagon R, but its personal opinion. A couple of my friends find A-star cute and Wagon R muscular. Depends upon your choice.
6) Overall a much more ( around 10 years ) car than Wagon R.

A-star negative points :

1) Very poor boot space.
2) Not good rear seat space.
3) Rear window design makes rear passengers feel claustrophobic.

Wagon R Positive points:

1) Better visibility.
2) Better boot space and rear seat.
3) Available with factory fitted alternate fuel option.

Wagon R negative points:

1) Old.
2) Unrefined powertrain. Engine still good, but not the gearbox.
3) Not good for highway as compared to A-star.

I would say go for A-star.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 8th December 2008 at 18:59. Reason: Adding more data.
Old 9th December 2008, 10:40   #10
BHPian

Have you taken a test drive and checked out the rear seat of the A-Star?
Old 9th December 2008, 14:44   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
Have you taken a test drive and checked out the rear seat of the A-Star?

Yes, I have taken the test drive and I was happy with the way the car reponded. Also I was impressed with the interiors. The only 2 problems I faced is that the Boot Space is very small and when my head touches the roof whn I sit behind.

The Prices that I got from Spectra Motors are as follows. This price does not include any bargaining. Will do that on Saturday when I go to pay the money. Accessories are not included
  1. WagonR VXi - 368000 (w/o Music System)
  2. Zen Estillo VXi - 372000 (w/o Music System)
  3. A Star VXi - 412000 (Music System in built)
The reason I am a little confused is the price difference between Wagon R and A Star. I may put in 12k-15k for the music system so that gives me a figure of 383000, still a difference of 30000.

So my question is; Is it worth paying 30000 more for the A Star?

Will need to add some more money for the other accessories like security system, bumper mouldings etc.
Old 9th December 2008, 15:22   #12
BHPian

FYI - There is a 4% cut announced by MUL on all its cars (except Grand Vitara). Please clarify this with the dealer when you go to book your car.

I was also researching Maruti cars as my first car and for me the boot space and the claustrophobic rear seat were a deal breaker as for me this would be a family car and the rear seat negates that requirement completely. I am waiting for the Ritz before I make any decision. If that too is not up to the mark (in terms of my budget), I may just stick to the Alto or may upgrade myself to a WagonR.
Old 11th December 2008, 09:09   #13
Senior - BHPian

I suggest you go for A-Star, for some reason I dont like WagonR (personal opinion)
Old 30th December 2008, 17:43   #14
BHPian

Hi Guys,

First of all, thank you all for your valuable inputs.

After a lot of discussion with family (will exhchange the Baleno with a new car in 6 months) and my budget constraints, I decided to buy the Alto Lxi .

A friend of mine has booked the WagonR. Together we believe we have struck a good deal. We are getting around 15 freeboes with the car.

Since we want the car to be registered in 2009, we havent yet sent the car for registeration. Plan to do it next week.

There is a light hitch though. We both have booked the White color, but the dealer is saying that White WagonR is currently not avaible and hence my friend needs to change his color preference to Pearl Silver. Waiting for a new batch is also not an option since Maruti has stopped production this year. So the dealer says that we will get a 2009 manufactured car for which the current deal will not hold.

Is there any way we can stick to 2008 prices and white WagonR. Or the dealer is right in saying that since Maruti has stopped production, we do not have a choice.
Old 30th December 2008, 20:54   #15
Senior - BHPian

There is approx 3-5K price difference between metallic colours (like silver) and plain colours - like white. THis holds only for maruti cars. So, ensure you get a further reduction in prices, if settling for plain white.

That said, I suspect the dealer is trying to get rid of 2008 manufactured cars. Your call, anyway.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks