Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2009, 10:43   #1
BANNED

Swift VDI/Ford Ikon D/Swift Dzire Diesel

Hi,

I am looking to buy a new car with max budget of 6L and need a diesel car only.

I have short listed:

- Swift VDi
- Ford Ikon D
- Swift Dzire (above budget though)

Which one of the above is a better car to go for? My daily run is 75Kms. And would want features like ABS so that can zip the car on highways with confidence.

Awaiting your replies )

Last edited by udit78 : 26th February 2009 at 10:44.
Old 26th February 2009, 11:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

IkonD is the way to go.
Old 26th February 2009, 11:16   #3
BHPian

udit, go for the Getz crde if you haven't thought about it, I drove the vehicle & the power is just uncontrollable and will take you by surprise.
Old 26th February 2009, 11:19   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udit78 View Post
Hi,

I am looking to buy a new car with max budget of 6L and need a diesel car only.

I have short listed:

- Swift VDi
- Ford Ikon D
- Swift Dzire (above budget though)

Which one of the above is a better car to go for? My daily run is 75Kms. And would want features like ABS so that can zip the car on highways with confidence.

Awaiting your replies )
how important is the boot to you - do you lug around luggage or its going to be mostly you behind the wheels. This is the most important criterion for the choice here.

The Swift is the only way to go if you do most of the driving. Great FE around 19+ on highways, good drive, safety features like ABS, fun to drive and easy to park etc. Only problem is that Swift D like a lot of other Marutis are prone to rattles - something that can be fixed. If Swift D it is - invest in 5-10k (or less if you use local damping material) for damping around the doors, trunk, and dash. Good for ICE and sound insulation from outside.

Ikon D is okay - but refinement is missing so are the safety features. A.S.S will be high as the engine is different from Ikon Petrol and the number of problems that creep up in the car other from the engine are numerous. We have owned the car before and though it is a drivers delight - no safety features. Plus for a big sized guy (6ft around 160lbs +) its a diff propostion to drive - the steering wheel touches the upper legs.

BTW the resale value will be higher for maruti too.....
Old 26th February 2009, 11:29   #5
BANNED

I am considering the new Ikon TDCI which has the same engine as Fiesta ... how are the refinement levels in it .... is it diffent from a fiesta in terms of NVH .......and yes extra Boot space would always be welcome but have to weight it against the refinement as well.
Old 26th February 2009, 14:28   #6
BANNED

I test drove a brand new Getz Crdi from superon Hyudnai in gurgoan, the car is awesome but the braakes ary very evry poor. I applied hard brake at 80 and the whole car shockup including the steering. It was scary, my question is even if I get the tyres changed to 195 60 R 14. michelin XM1+, how much would the braking improve, will the still rattle wen sudden brakes are applied.
Old 26th February 2009, 15:04   #7
BHPian

In hatch, i'll go for Getz CRDI (a fantastic car now available for even much lesser price)

In Sedan, it tie between Ikon & Dzire, but looking at the higher upkeep cost of Ikon, I'll go for Dzire.
Old 26th February 2009, 15:13   #8
Team-BHP Support

Udit, the following threads should be quite helpful to you with respect to the Ikon TDCi.

Condor's_thread
Dieseled's_thread
S_Budhiraj's_thread

Sadly, ABS is not an option on the Ikon. Something which even i would be happy to have had for reassurance.

All the best.
Old 26th February 2009, 15:13   #9
BANNED

I love Getz Crdi but my concern is the brakes, any feedback on that?
Old 26th February 2009, 17:38   #10
BHPian

Hi Udit, check Jaggu's thread on his Swift VDi's experience. I own a Dzire ZDi and can tell you it is an awesome car to drive. There are a couple of ownership reviews for this car as well. You may check mine "Dzire ZDi the first 7000 km".

Do let us know which one you decide on.
Old 26th February 2009, 17:51   #11
Senior - BHPian

Swift Vdi or Dzire will be a better choice. Search the forum you will find many threads for that.
Old 28th February 2009, 23:04   #12
BHPian

Hi Udit - I have a VDI (ABS) and it totally rocks! Go for it.
Old 28th February 2009, 23:54   #13
BHPian

ikon is a 8 year old model. i dont know for how long more they will continue it. it is like the amby of ford. i am not telling it is a bad car, but its too old. the fiesta engine is ideally sutied to this than fiesta, but still they should have redesigned it. ikon resale is not good i heard.

so swift/dzire will be ur options. both are relatively new and will be there for sometime.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks