Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2009, 09:57   #16
Senior - BHPian

Benny,

That is due to a need to bed in the brakes and the tyres. FWIW, new superbikes' tyres have to be properly broken in.

It is to make sure that junta doesn't brake arbitly with unintended consequences!
Old 15th March 2009, 11:16   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautam Misra View Post

You may get a more VFM car right now, but in the long run a SWIFT VDi or LDi may be a better choice.

Presently the LDi ex-showroom price in Delhi is 4,67,000/- and the VDi is around 5 Lakhs.
Vista is VFM now and even in the long run it will remain a good choice.
Say 5 years down the line.
If you had bought the swift VDI, it would rattle like hell and be an old car, by feel and in reality ( its been around since 2005) and you would want to sell it off and most people would want to do the same hence resale will be poor.

On the other hand Vista is a fresh vehicle and 5 years down the line it will still remain fresher compared to swift and wont rattle and resale will be higher than swift, so Vista is VFM even in the long run

Cheers,
Nitin
Old 15th March 2009, 13:14   #18
Senior - BHPian

Funny - Interesting bit of self-justifying logic

I mean, just because you bought a Vista doesn't mean the rest of what you wrote applies. When was the last time you visited a used-car showroom. I know for a fact that Swift resale values haven't tanked in Delhi.

Both cars are competent - its about a certain leap of faith one requires for the Vista, and damping investment that one does for the Swift if one is bothered by that kinda thing
Old 15th March 2009, 13:36   #19
BHPian

Vista quadrajet is more VFM than swift.

Swift handles well but Vista rides well.

Quality wise i would not rate both of them high. Vista may be mariginally better (we have both the cars in our family and have spent quite some time dealing with them so am not biased)

Both Indica vista and Swift do have some quality issues owing to the fact that they are not premium hatchback cars.
Old 15th March 2009, 13:54   #20
BHPian

Never meant to spark an eternal Vista vs Swift debate. My father has a Swift Petrol so I know the ups and downs of it as well (though its a Petrol). Its just that I thought the engine is the same as well as the interiors are great so why not?
Anyways the search for a perfect consumer good would never end I guess and debates like these would last forever.

Another thing that I want to clear is about the fuel?
Do I have to use premium diesel or normal? Is there a regime for that as well?
Old 15th March 2009, 16:40   #21
BHPian

Swift's an established car. Vista's only like 5 months old. On paper, it looks gr8. But then no1's driven it enough to figure out what it'll be like 3 years from now. True, it has some problems - but from what I've seen and heard around on these forums, the most serious ones are with early models. Personally, I prefer the vista to a swift. Suspension and space totally give vista the edge - but then, that's according to my priorities and preferences. I haven't seen many on the roads either. I don't know why that is. Maybe, people prefer to go in for an established car rather than a new one or maybe people prefer a maruti or maybe the image of the indica as a taxi car still holds. I've gone in for the aqua TDi. It should be delivered in less than a week now. So, I guess i've taken the leap of faith...

@travelex
There's no reason for you to use premium diesel unless the manual specifically recommends a higher octane fuel. All that the oil companies say about premium fuel giving you better mileage and performance is nonsense. Race cars need it because lower octane fuel tends to (blow up??) at extreme conditions... Maybe some of the more experienced members might be able to clear the specifics on that one.
Old 15th March 2009, 18:43   #22
Senior - BHPian

its just the bodies/suspensions etc which we need to see whether they will stand the test of distance and time. and even of they fail, they can be replaced. on the other hand, the quadrajet and TDi's engines are both tried and trusted engines. with the former running on countless swift/dzire diesels, and the TDi's engine running on countless indica turbo/indigo's .

I dont know about the quadrajet engine, but the TDi engine runs best on regular diesel + system D. its cheaper too

@ travelex and nukeblitz. make sure you get the 24+24 month extended warranty ( not the 24+12 one). Its just 1k more, and you wont regret it !

Last edited by greenhorn : 15th March 2009 at 18:51.
Old 15th March 2009, 21:08   #23
BHPian

Went for a pre delivery/ registration inspection. The looks were dazzling. Cant quite figure out why Artic silver is much more common on the roads as compared to cavern grey.
I have already test driven a quadrajet earlier, however the first thing that I noticed was that the engine made a lot of noise. I had to remind myself that this was gonig to be my first association with a Diesel engine so I better get used to it. To be doubly sure, I asked for the keys of another quadrajet and found no difference between the two. However to me it seemed like the engine made lesser noise once it was running for a few moments.
Ample space inside. Really impressive. I am used to cramped small hatchbacks so this really comes as a relief.
The music player does not look top end but the output was decent.
I did notice a sub cm hairline scratch near the front headlight but you really need to look hard to notice it. Since the rest of the car looked spotless, I ignored it.
The car had been driven a total of 29.7 KM so I guess that should be OK.
Since the beadings had been much talked about, I specifically asked the dealer to get all of them doubly checked and fixed properly. Also to wash and vaccum the car once again.
I will go for delivery in the morning and will continue with my initial experience either tomorrow or by thursday hopefully, once I have spent some time with my car.

Post EDITED since it contained various [FONT], [COLOR] and [SIZE] tags.
Posting with such text formatting should be avoided on Team-BHP as it is inconvenient for members to read post.
Kindly go through Announcements section before proceeding.

Thanking You for your anticipated co-operation

The Team-BHP Support

Last edited by Jaggu : 15th March 2009 at 22:08. Reason: Font tags
Old 26th March 2009, 13:05   #24
BHPian

I was really busy for the last week or so. Hence could not write about my experience with Indica Quadrajet.
Bad things first.
I experienced almost all the minor problems that people have faced here like the beading thing that I told earlier.
From the start,
1. The people at the ASC forgot to put a tool kit in my car which I remembered just as I was about to leave.
2. The beading thing had been fixed since I had gone a day earlier for a pre registration check.
3. One of the back doors was not opening even though the child lock was not applied, which had to be fixed.
4. One of the side indicators was not working which I missed at the ASC and had to come back an hour later to get fixed.
5. There was a creaking kind of sound whenever the car went over a bump. This happened only when a heavy person was sitting on the front passenger seat. Surprisingly this has disappeared after the first 2 days.
6. There is a screeching/ squeaking sound when the brakes are applied. Not too loud but you do notice it.
7. There is some noise when the AC is running at minimum fan speed. Something needs to be fixed.
Lots of issues. Most however I feel should have been sorted out by the dealer/ASC.
Inspite of all this if you ask me, I have been more than satisfied with the car. Maybe I looked down upon diesel engines too much and have been surprised by this smooth and easy to handle diesel engine. Driving is real pleasure and very comfortable. Here are the things I really liked
1. Engine - the drivability and manouvering
2. Interiors - Nice feel
3. Power steering
4. Cabin space
5. Overall shape and design
Some things that might have been better
1. Boot space
2. Some finer things (like fitting of the plastics)
3. Rear view mirrors - could have been bigger.
4. Sound of doors closing - you dont hear a thud, more like a 1985 fiat padmini
5. Music system - Speakers could have been better.

I also have some doubts
1. The first service is due at 1000-1500 Km. I have done about 950 Km. When should I get the service done? Nearer to 1000 or to 1500?
2. The coupon says the second service is due at 10000Km. The manual says 5000? Which one is correct?
3. Which would be the most efficient ASC in Delhi? I would prefer South Delhi but if the ASC is open on Sundays, I can go anywhere. Someone with personal experience may please help.
4. What would be the current recommendations regarding idling during starting and ending the journey?

Last edited by GTO : 30th March 2009 at 11:57. Reason: Removing the answers.com graphic
Old 26th March 2009, 17:42   #25
BHPian

@travelex The second service is @ 5000 Kms. The coupon for my Quadrajet also says so. BTW in my case, after 1500 kms the only problem has been that of beadings which were fixed during the first service.
Old 26th March 2009, 17:52   #26
Senior - BHPian

regarding your "things that could have been better" list,
Do an ICE upgrade , and get some better speakers , and damp the doors. they will close with a thud
Old 26th March 2009, 17:58   #27
BHPian

Travelex - Seems you are having too many issues...This should be sorted by the dealer ideally....

But still its good you are enjoyin the car esp the diesel engine...

Another plus for the Indica Vista is the huge interior space...Really big
Old 26th March 2009, 18:44   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitha View Post
@travelex The second service is @ 5000 Kms. The coupon for my Quadrajet also says so. BTW in my case, after 1500 kms the only problem has been that of beadings which were fixed during the first service.
My coupn says 10000-10500 Km (weird) or 12 months. The coupons are like these pieces of paper, photostat or at most inkjet printed. Is it the same for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
regarding your "things that could have been better" list,
Do an ICE upgrade , and get some better speakers , and damp the doors. they will close with a thud
Does changing the ICE void the warranty? Also how do I damp the doors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_swift View Post
Travelex - Seems you are having too many issues...This should be sorted by the dealer ideally....

But still its good you are enjoyin the car esp the diesel engine...

Another plus for the Indica Vista is the huge interior space...Really big
As I said most of the issues have been sorted out. The only thing that I am facing right now is some noise on braking. Hope that is taken care of on first service.
Old 28th March 2009, 00:28   #29
BHPian

I would be happy if someone could answer my queries mentioned above.
More importantly I would be grateful if someone could recommend an ASC to me based on personal experience.
Old 28th March 2009, 00:58   #30
Senior - BHPian

replacing the speakers alone will not void your warranty- fit a decent set of component speakers. damping- also to be done by a good installer , should cost a few thousand for the front doors . try driven at East of kailash

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks