Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2009, 19:32   #1
BHPian

Swift/Ritz/i10 ?

Friends,

I intend to sell my Santro (2000) model, and buy a new hatchback within a period of a month. Reason for selling it is the car is costing too much in maintainence and frequent breakdowns.

My budget for the new car is around 5-5.5 lakhs. The car would be for daily city use and occasional highway driving with an average running of 1000 km per month. My preferences would be low maintainence cost, mileage and I intend to take this car on long tours, so stability and power would also be a factor. I would also prefer Diesel though not completely rule out petrol if the car satisfies the other considerations.

How does the Swift fare against Ritz and i10 ? Also suggest some other cars which fare better than the above listed ones. And, how does diesel cars fare against petrol in terms of long term maintainence.

Recently, while browsing the forum, I saw a sedan thread consisting of a comparison chart between the spare parts of various cars. If someone has a similar chart for hatchbacks, do post the same.
Old 21st May 2009, 19:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

If you prefer practicality over style, go for the i10 Kappa or Ritz Petrol.
Both the petrols have sufficient power to take on long tours and are stable enough.

However if you are single/bachelor, plan to pimp up your car with good ICE , alloys and tints, go for a white Swift ZXi.

Last edited by DCEite : 21st May 2009 at 19:39.
Old 21st May 2009, 19:40   #3
BHPian

You seem to keep your cars for a long time. Are you planning to keep your next car too for so long? If yes then diesel is the way to go.

Dont even worry about maintenance costs its all the same. Diesel cars also have a service interval of 10K kms like petrol so difference wouldnt be more than 500 rs for every service compared to petrol cars.

Spare parts and all that depends on manufacturers and not whether diesel or petrol.

So go ahead and buy the Swift VDI or Ritz VDI forget petrol cars. Petrol is good only for bikes and small cars like Nano. Anything bigger and Indians will hesitate to use the car and use their bikes instead.
Old 21st May 2009, 19:47   #4
BHPian

Choose between Swift and Ritz diesels with that budget. Nothing like spending about 1K every 600Kms for a full tank of fuel.
Old 21st May 2009, 19:51   #5
BANNED

I would prefer the swift over the others.
Grande punto launch is just around the corner if you could wait for some days.
Old 21st May 2009, 19:57   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
If you prefer practicality over style, go for the i10 Kappa or Ritz Petrol.
Both the petrols have sufficient power to take on long tours and are stable enough.

However if you are single/bachelor, plan to pimp up your car with good ICE , alloys and tints, go for a white Swift ZXi.
Yes, i do prefer practicality. I have another car NHC which my Dad uses. So, most of the times, I would be using the new car

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhappy View Post
You seem to keep your cars for a long time. Are you planning to keep your next car too for so long? If yes then diesel is the way to go.
Actually the Santro was a second-hand deal in 2005. Was getting it at a good price, and hence went for it.

Also, any idea on the fuel efficiencies of petrol and diesel Ritz ?
Old 21st May 2009, 20:54   #7
BHPian

Since you travel approx. 1000 kms every month, the petrol is just as good. But if you intend to keep the car for a long time, then diesel will offset the higher purchase price in the long run.

The 1.3 diesel engines in the Swift & Ritz are fabulous to drive and will literally push you into the seat when accelerating. They give excellent mileage too!

On the other hand, the i10 has by far the most appealing interiors and good space. Also the engine is super smooth & refinement is top notch. But i feel that the Swift & Ritz will be much more stable on the highways at triple digit speeds due to the larger wheelbase & will attain these speeds with ease. And their engines are very rev happy.

So final verdict:
SWIFT / RITZ - Power, Stability, Economy + Diesel.
i10 - Interiors & Refinement.
Old 21st May 2009, 21:13   #8
BHPian

I would seriously not recommend a FIAT after owing a Palio for quite a few years. Let FIAT prove themselves with the Linea and the Punto. Only after that i would recommend the company. The product could be great but the support is what makes it count in the ownership stage.
Old 21st May 2009, 21:43   #9
BHPian

Go for the Swift diesel that too the Vdi and drive on and on, as its damn fuel efficient and one heck of a performer. But upgrade tires to atleast 185 70 R14
Old 21st May 2009, 21:49   #10
BHPian

Go for the swift, since you have a honda city family will obviously travel in that so rear legroom can go to hell(not that its as bad as people say it is)

Swift will give you that feel good factor, you'll be touching 130+ without even noticing. Great car to drive, bachelor type.

i10 is good, not as fun to drive but interiors are slightly better than swift.

Ritz, if you like the odd shape go for it, it's just a mix of swift and i10 anyway
Old 21st May 2009, 22:43   #11
Senior - BHPian

It should be the ritz VXi,if affordablity is not an issue and if ZXi is available in your city go for ritz ZXI.wonderfull petrol engine and good mileage(17.8).Parts costs should be almost 2/3rd of the hyundai and very practical car.I am dead sure you would never regret it.This one is for sure a hot seller.
ram
Old 22nd May 2009, 10:04   #12
BHPian

Swift and Ritz diesel are both the same cars under the hood, it is then left to you to decide which to choose. swift, considering the profile would feel more planted on highways than the ritz (tallboy design).
Go have a longish TD then decide.
Hyundai cars are overpriced and have thirsty petrol engines.
Wait for somewhile the Grande punto, Jazz are on their way. Though they might stretch your budget, but since you plan to keep the car for a long time then i thing you would go in for the best balance (VFM package).
As suggested earlier go in for a diesel as these engines are really great
IMO if you consider these new age diesel cars then "Diesel is the new petrol".
cheers!
Old 22nd May 2009, 11:39   #13
BHPian

Thanx a lot for the replies.

Though, I have been driving cars for the last 4 years, I have never been for a TD. Any tips on how to properly TD a car ?
Old 22nd May 2009, 11:52   #14
BHPian

I went with my colleagues for a TD of the Ritz, though I didn't drive it. Three of us (weighing 70 kg+) could sit reasonably comfortably at the back though shoulders touched. The same set of three people sat in the Swift Dzire for comparison and the Ritz was a shade better. The interior space is as good as say an Indica. My colleagues test drove the diesel version, and reams have been written about the engine.

The car seems to have a solid built (not sure whether rattles will come later), especially the hatch and regular doors. The boot space is reasonable, though I cannot compare with the I10 because I have never TDed that car.

Read this for a better understanding: Top Story - The ?five star? small car - Business Standard Motoring

If you can live with the looks of the car on the rear side, it is a decent car.

Pradeep

Last edited by pradkumar : 22nd May 2009 at 12:01.
Old 23rd May 2009, 01:28   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_horizon View Post
Thanx a lot for the replies.

Though, I have been driving cars for the last 4 years, I have never been for a TD. Any tips on how to properly TD a car ?
Check out this thread here, it'll give you all the details about TD

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks