Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2009, 19:05   #1
BANNED

Palio 1.1 SL Vs Vista Saffire 1.2 Aura

I am planning for a second car with key requirements

1. Decent fuel Efficiency.
2. Driving comfort
3. Will be keeping it for 4-5 years with average use of 50 Km / day and occasional highway drives.

I am getting Palio 1.1 SL on road @ 3.45 Pune.

I am also getting a deal of Vista Saffire 1.2 Aura @ 3.8 on road (Just 2 months old)

I havent shortlisted palio/vista however these are good deals i got in my hand.

So do suggest , which is best out of these two? Anyother suggestion in hatchback is most welcome.
Old 26th May 2009, 19:16   #2
BHPian

The Palio is an excellent car in my opinion. Feels rock solid, built like a tank, very good suspension, and looks great. The Vista too is good, but somehow, I just don't like the center mounted console that much. However, the 1.1L version of the Palio will not be a highway sprinter mind you. Go for the Palio MJD if you can. It's an excellent vehicle to drive.
Old 26th May 2009, 19:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

In my opinion, you should look at the Vista QuadraJet. Fits perfect for your requirement.
Old 26th May 2009, 19:21   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanaticOnWheels View Post
The Palio is an excellent car in my opinion. Feels rock solid, built like a tank, very good suspension, and looks great. The Vista too is good, but somehow, I just don't like the center mounted console that much. However, the 1.1L version of the Palio will not be a highway sprinter mind you. Go for the Palio MJD if you can. It's an excellent vehicle to drive.
Thanks for input. However, as mentioned , per day driving will be hardly 50 Km with occasional outing. So does diesel vehicle really justify?

Looks wisepalio beats vista however,Palio 1.1 milege is point of concern (11 /12 in city?).
Old 26th May 2009, 19:35   #5
BHPian

Vista Saffire feels good for city driving (ok for highway), is spacious, comfortable ,has decent boot. You have got a Nice offer on Aura (fully loaded !!). Test drive again, see which vehicle you are comfortable with and then decide. If budget permits, go for the QUADRAJET. Best of Luck friend.

Last edited by mnhegde : 26th May 2009 at 19:37.
Old 26th May 2009, 20:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

Palio Stile 1.1 would give you mileage of 13 - 14 kpl in City.

Do check the ownership reports of Stile 1.1 on this forum & at Palio Users group (PalioUsersIndia : PalioUsersIndia)
Old 26th May 2009, 20:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idea1979 View Post
Thanks for input. However, as mentioned , per day driving will be hardly 50 Km with occasional outing. So does diesel vehicle really justify?

Looks wisepalio beats vista however,Palio 1.1 milege is point of concern (11 /12 in city?).
Well that translates into 1500kms of monthly driving. Taking the average mileage of MJD engined Palio to be say 15 kmpl you'll need 100 litres of fuel. Taking cost of diesel as Rs.35/ltr, your monthly bill will be around 3500 bucks.
That is around 40000-42000 Rs. per annum.

Now if you go for the petrol palio, taking mileage as around 12kmpl, you'll need 125 litres of fuel. Taking cost of petrol as Rs.45/ltr, your monthly bill will be around Rs.5600 bucks.
That is around 67000 Rs. per annum

Now cost of Palio petrol is 3.45 lakhs for the model you mentioned.
Cost of palio MJD is around 4.8 lakhs for SJD model at pune.

That is a difference of Rs. 1.3 lakhs approx.
So you will need atleast 7 years to bridge that gap!

In short you don't need to go for the diesel.

But now the problem is that Palio.despite it being an excellent product has started showing its age and the interiors are dated. Also that 1.1 petrol is horribly under-powered.
In short, avoid the 1.1 palio, you may go for the Vista petrol as its fresh, spacious and quite a good car.
But then you wont really get a good economy.
If economy is your prime concern you may look at two lots--A-star, Spark, WagonR or you may have a look at Aveo UVA, Getz 1.1,Swift Lxi.

Have a look at all these as extending your options by a certain extent does help and choose according to your needs.

Going by your need for economy and driving comfort, I would had opted for Aveo UVA/Vista 1.2 or the A-star (not exactly comfortable but extremely efficient).

Regards.

Last edited by YC.BALENO.CHD : 26th May 2009 at 20:55.
Old 26th May 2009, 21:21   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
Well that translates into 1500kms of monthly driving. Taking the average mileage of MJD engined Palio to be say 15 kmpl you'll need 100 litres of fuel. Taking cost of diesel as Rs.35/ltr, your monthly bill will be around 3500 bucks.
That is around 40000-42000 Rs. per annum.

Now if you go for the petrol palio, taking mileage as around 12kmpl, you'll need 125 litres of fuel. Taking cost of petrol as Rs.45/ltr, your monthly bill will be around Rs.5600 bucks.
That is around 67000 Rs. per annum

Now cost of Palio petrol is 3.45 lakhs for the model you mentioned.
Cost of palio MJD is around 4.8 lakhs for SJD model at pune.

That is a difference of Rs. 1.3 lakhs approx.
So you will need atleast 7 years to bridge that gap!

In short you don't need to go for the diesel.

But now the problem is that Palio.despite it being an excellent product has started showing its age and the interiors are dated. Also that 1.1 petrol is horribly under-powered.
In short, avoid the 1.1 palio, you may go for the Vista petrol as its fresh, spacious and quite a good car.
But then you wont really get a good economy.
If economy is your prime concern you may look at two lots--A-star, Spark, WagonR or you may have a look at Aveo UVA, Getz 1.1,Swift Lxi.

Have a look at all these as extending your options by a certain extent does help and choose according to your needs.

Going by your need for economy and driving comfort, I would had opted for Aveo UVA/Vista 1.2 or the A-star (not exactly comfortable but extremely efficient).

Regards.

Thanks a lot for your valuable input especially petrol/diesel analysis. I am keeping away from GM product considering their chapter 11.

I do understand that i cant expect power house from 1.1 engine however i feel it will suffice my need as i will be traveling mostly 1+1. you are right about its age and interiors.

Thanks a lot again for your opinion.
Old 27th May 2009, 16:01   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idea1979 View Post
Thanks a lot for your valuable input especially petrol/diesel analysis. I am keeping away from GM product considering their chapter 11.

I do understand that i cant expect power house from 1.1 engine however i feel it will suffice my need as i will be traveling mostly 1+1. you are right about its age and interiors.

Thanks a lot again for your opinion.
Hi,

If you have finalised your choices between Palio 1.1SL and Vista 1.2, then first check the service history of both the cars for any known unknown issues.

I think the new Palio 1.1 top version SLX comes in 4L so why not go for new SLX instead of base version!

Base version is waste according to me with inferior quality parts.

Both the cars are decent enough for City driving and highways too but will lack when there is a need of instant overtaking.

Advantage of Palio over Vista is better strong build, good looks exterior and major advantage is boot space which Vista suffers from.

Vista has better interiors than Palio 1.1 but its personal choice of likes and dislikes. Headroom is lot better in Vista and also the steering wheel, clutch and acceleration is lighter.

I havent heard of Vista 1.2 mileage and reviews so cant comment on it but Palio 1.1 has lot of happy owners in this forum as as in PUG forums who got 13km/l consitently in city and more sometimes. Highway figures goes upto 17-18 too.

Lastly TD both the cars in city traffic as well as on highways with 3-4 or 5 people on board!

As for other recommendations: In that budget, you can check Santro, i10 1.1, up your budget and check out new Ritz or if you can wait and stretch your budget, check the upcoming Grande Punto from FIAT for base version 1.2.

Cheers~
Old 27th May 2009, 16:43   #10
Senior - BHPian

Idea 1979,

I would recommend the Indica Vista Quadrajet. Your monthly driving would be approx 1500 Km. Moreover, you may do a few vacations or short trips ( I did that a lot when I was at Pune). Moreover, the Quadrajet will run beautifully in city due to the great torque with most of it available at really low rpm.

Adiesel vehicle will also command a much better resale value and you will recover the extra money you pay at the time of purchase.

The Palio is a decent car,but is well past its sell by date. It commands a low resale value and the Vista petrol may also not have a very good resale value( there are other petrol cars in the category which held in higher esteem by the customers).

Diesel car buying criterion have moved from simply fuel savings . Good torque ofThese cars makes them fun to drive as well.
Old 27th May 2009, 16:48   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
Idea 1979,

Adiesel vehicle will also command a much better resale value and you will recover the extra money you pay at the time of purchase.
Yes it will, but then you have to shell out a hell lot more initially, so the advantage of higher resale negates.
Quote:
The Palio is a decent car,but is well past its sell by date. It commands a low resale value and the Vista petrol may also not have a very good resale value( there are other petrol cars in the category which held in higher esteem by the customers).
As a matter of fact Palio still sells in the international markets as well. Just that we got a different facelift version while the international cars have linea like headlamps and different grille.

Quote:
Diesel car buying criterion have moved from simply fuel savings . Good torque ofThese cars makes them fun to drive as well.

Its still the economy factor only that drives the sales of diesel models.
Take Fiesta for example, majority of its sales are from diesel model. And we all know how much fun to drive its petrol model is. Yeah, diesels have better driveability and that is an advantage in bumper to bumper city traffic but come an open road most petrol cars will shoot past their diesel counterparts.

(Exceptions being Verna,Vista and optra.)

Last edited by YC.BALENO.CHD : 27th May 2009 at 16:50.
Old 27th May 2009, 17:17   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
Take Fiesta for example, majority of its sales are from diesel model. And we all know how much fun to drive its petrol model is. Yeah, diesels have better driveability and that is an advantage in bumper to bumper city traffic but come an open road most petrol cars will shoot past their diesel counterparts.

(Exceptions being Verna,Vista and optra.)
Good observation! Totally agree that the initial investment for a diesel is quite high and does not make sense for people who use it sparingly.

Liked the part where the petrol cars shoot past their diesel counterparts!

PS: Nice list of exceptions as well

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks