Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2009, 20:30   #1
BHPian

Urgent : Expert advice required (To decide on Ritz Diesel or Swift Diesel)

Team BHP Experts,

I need an urgent expert advice from you to decide on a new car which i am planning to book tomorrow. The choice is narrowed between Ritz Diesel vs Swift Diesel. Since my travelling per month would be around 2000Kms, i am sticking with Diesel car. My expectations are here

1) Decent pick up (Low end torque)
2) Decent mileage
3) Decent rear seat comfort for a family of 4
4) Good handling.

Since TATA refused to give me a Punto, it is out of league.

Thanks Folks.
Old 19th June 2009, 21:10   #2
BHPian

Have you test driven both? I'd say go with the Ritz. Pick-Up and Mileage will be approximately same for both cars since they share the engine. I've read some where on the forum (or else where) that Ritz is more comfortable of the two owing to softer suspension setup and that it has more head room at the back. Handling-wise Swift leads, but Ritz is very close by.

And, I guess you have set your mind on the Ritz. Your signature reads Ritz!!!
Old 19th June 2009, 21:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

Swift has become boring as there are too many of them on the road now!

Ritz is totaly new and you would like to own a new car, so go for it!

Ritz is a tall boy design, so it gives a body roll when you take a tight sharp turn. you have to get use to its handling before you go to higher speeds.

Drive safe and wear you seat belt!
Old 19th June 2009, 21:46   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
Have you test driven both? I'd say go with the Ritz. Pick-Up and Mileage will be approximately same for both cars since they share the engine. I've read some where on the forum (or else where) that Ritz is more comfortable of the two owing to softer suspension setup and that it has more head room at the back. Handling-wise Swift leads, but Ritz is very close by.

And, I guess you have set your mind on the Ritz. Your signature reads Ritz!!!
Yes, I have test driven both and found Ritz is lighter and has more direct control. Yes, I wanted to go for Ritz but my family insists on getting TBHP advice.
Old 19th June 2009, 21:48   #5
BHPian

I test drove the Ritz before the GP and found it quite suiting my requirements.
go for the ritz
Old 19th June 2009, 22:03   #6
BHPian

Swift feels more planted on the road as compared to the Ritz and has better handling.
Rest remains for the looks .(Subjective)
Old 19th June 2009, 22:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funda2max View Post
Yes, I have test driven both and found Ritz is lighter and has more direct control. Yes, I wanted to go for Ritz but my family insists on getting TBHP advice.
Ritz is new! If you don't mind a weird back, go for it. Else, settle with the trusted workhorse - Swift! (neglecting the rattles! )
Old 19th June 2009, 22:24   #8
BHPian

I have to yet drive the Ritz diesel (planning to do so tomorrow) but I can give the perspective of being a Swift owner and some observations while doing a Petrol Ritz TD.
  • I found the interior space seems more airy and roomy because of the larger windows and taller roof. It can comfortably seat 5. The Swift can comfortably seat 4, however the 5th one will be cramped.
  • The open glove box in addition to the closed one on the Ritz is very useful - something the Swift doesn’t have and wastes space because of the airbags. The coin holder and storage space on the top of the dashboard is also good. Glove box seems similar in size to the Swift.
  • Lot of the interior is borrowed/shared with the Swift but still some cost cutting seems to have been there. Indicator/Wiper stalks, steering wheel, door locks & power window switches are all the same. Ashtray is the same. Gear lever knob is almost the same. Interior roof light seems the same.
  • The front door pockets of the Ritz have storage space for bottles. There is only one central console mounted cup holder. The Swift cannot hold more than papers in the door pockets. Cupholders are in the middle.
  • Air conditioning on the test vehicle I drove (ZXI) seemed just about adequate (maybe the larger glass areas and lack of tints on the Demo car and the hot summer sun was a factor). I may have been spoilt by driving around with climate control and dark tinted small windows in the Swift. Blower fan gets noisy at “3″ position. The side vents close fully and are a design different from the Swift.
  • It took some time to get used to the gear shifter because it is positioned almost a half a foot ahead of the gear shifter in the Swift/most cars. The gear shifter felt really good and the shifts were very precise - even better than the Swift. For people with multiple cars this gear shift will be a difficult to get used to, especially when you have to switch cars daily.
  • Boot space is almost equal but the Ritz has the advantage of the 60-40 folding rear seat which the Swift doesnt come with. I think this is very useful if this will be your only car. (If luggage space is not your concern almost everything else is well matched).
  • The Ritz has more mature looks and is a bit more sober from the front. The view From the rear it really is an acquired taste :-).
  • Pickup and mileage of the Ritz would be similar to the Swift. But I would say for handling the Swift would be better.
  • You should test drive both and choose the car that appeals to you and your family. We can give you the data points but the vehicle has to appeal to the primary driver and owner the immediate family that will spend hours on end in the vehicle during the years of ownership.
Old 19th June 2009, 23:12   #9
BHPian

The Ritz. There are too many swifts on our roads. Gets monotonous.
Old 20th June 2009, 06:12   #10
BHPian

There is absolutely no backseat comfort or legroom in the swift , especially if a tall driver is driving .
Old 20th June 2009, 09:38   #11
Senior - BHPian

There is just one main thing. If you love to take high speed turns without any body-roll and can compromise comfort a little bit for that you should gofor the swift. If you want better ride comfort and little more airy feel and space at rear go for the Ritz. I think wverything else is more or less the same.
Old 20th June 2009, 10:08   #12
Senior - BHPian

Don't know of Ritz, but Swift certainly lack backseat space.

Why don't you try taking up your family at maruti dealership, take a test drive with all of them on board and ask for their comfortableness ?? Since both car belongs to maruti stable it wont be a big hassle.
Old 20th June 2009, 11:07   #13
BHPian

Ritz for sure -- performance wise they'll be similar. Swift might be a better handler but that is only marginal. Ritz is more of a family car than the swift and it is also brand new so you won't blend into the crowd. The Ritz is also a lot more practical despite the low boot space.
Old 20th June 2009, 12:17   #14
Senior - BHPian

Urgent advice : Ritz DDIS
Expert advice : Wait till July and u might have a stunning 1.4 CRDi hatch.
Old 20th June 2009, 12:30   #15
Senior - BHPian

Expert advice: Ritz
Common Sense: Swift
Passion: Punto
Experts seem to be lacking in Common sense & Passion.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks