Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2009, 12:05   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Let him wait till retirement I'd say.

If he changes his mind then he can go for -

Santro or Alto ( NON PS Variant available )
i10

On another thought - Tata NANO ?

I do not really want him to look back with either santro / alto.
Maybe the new hyundai small car which is coming up !
Nano is also a possibility

May I also fancy this as an option?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1489247

Last edited by blackasta : 18th September 2009 at 12:13.
Old 18th September 2009, 12:13   #17
BHPian

Personal preferences matter a lot !! My father is still riding his 1983 model Rajdoot / 1987 model M800. He never wants upgrade either of them. I am almost unable to put the bike in its main stand, while he rides it like anything!! Regarding M800, he feels that its more comfortable for parking as well as maintenance.
Old 18th September 2009, 12:48   #18
Senior - BHPian

Keep the beauty. If you still change, please get your father used to PS and go for an A/c PS small car. It will help him as he gets older.
Old 24th September 2009, 16:11   #19
Senior - BHPian

Dad is impressed after having a look at the new REVA (on the computer screen at least!)
Now REVA is the only car that dad is open to - if he changes at all!!!
Old 10th September 2010, 13:38   #20
Senior - BHPian

Updating this thread almost after an year. Lots of things have changed in between.

I put forward the following option to dad:

1. Retain the M800. Patch it up (nicks/dings), put in new tires, new seatcovers, thorough brakes/fluid/filter changes and have it as a standby car. Anyway its gonna sell for peanuts, which is not what the car deserves. (also parking is not a problem)

2. Get a new car. Now me and dad are gonna share the cost of this one, and I am pressing for Polo 1.6 (wicked me!) . If not, a 1.2 highline. Dad has got a weak point for vw, and I am trying to capitalize on that.

Dad's out of station again, and the purchase most likely is gonna take place next year.

Whats the 'junta's' say on this one?
Old 10th September 2010, 15:02   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
1. Retain the M800. Patch it up (nicks/dings), put in new tires, new seatcovers, thorough brakes/fluid/filter changes and have it as a standby car. Anyway its gonna sell for peanuts, which is not what the car deserves. (also parking is not a problem)

2. Get a new car. Now me and dad are gonna share the cost of this one, and I am pressing for Polo 1.6 (wicked me!) . If not, a 1.2 highline. Dad has got a weak point for vw, and I am trying to capitalize on that.
As far as I remember the folowing jobs are to be carried out at 40K mark.
1. The Brakes need overhauling - change all the rubber parts and fill with new oil. The master cylinder may need replacement if corroded.
2. Gear linkages - Change/Adjust as required
3. Steering - overhauling/Adjustment
4. The clutch plate - change.
5. You may also need to change the silencer pipes as they generally corrode in 10 years.

These jobs even if carried out by MASS should not cost over 15K. Add another 5-10K for tyres and seat covers.

That said, there is nothing wrong in retaining the vehicle. I still have 2000 Esteem MPFI and barring maintenance as per the service book the only thing I have changed is the AC System from R12 to R134. Of course tyres and battery are changed when ever required.

At this stage the cost of the vehicle has more or less stabilised and a couple of years here or there would not change the price much. I suggest that if you carry out the above mentioned jobs the car would continue happily for another ten years.

Until and unless you want a status symbol, the Alto800/AltoK10 are nearest in driving feel and maneuverability to the 800. The i10 is slightly bigger and more expensive. In my opinion the K10 is today best city car this side of 5L.
Old 10th September 2010, 16:27   #22
BHPian

I am sure you will get decent resale for a single owner low running 800. The Polo sounds wicked allrite, even a 1.2 Polo seems bit of a overkill for post retirement usage.

Sure no auto boxes will be considered here? The A-Star has all the qualities to qualify as your next trouble-free Maruti.
Old 10th September 2010, 17:02   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Updating this thread almost after an year. Lots of things have changed in between.

I put forward the following option to dad:

Dad's out of station again, and the purchase most likely is gonna take place next year.

Whats the 'junta's' say on this one?
Keep the 800, get a polo 1.2 which i assume is less pricier then the 1.6 that way both of you guys have a car, the difference in the price for 1.2 and 1.6 could be used to maintain the 800 which i am sure won't cost too much to keep running.

Have a m800 myself valued at 30k (insured value).Don't plan to sell of same and may buy a polo but some time for that.
Old 10th September 2010, 22:38   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
As far as I remember the folowing jobs are to be carried out at 40K mark.
1. The Brakes need overhauling - change all the rubber parts and fill with new oil. The master cylinder may need replacement if corroded.
2. Gear linkages - Change/Adjust as required
3. Steering - overhauling/Adjustment
4. The clutch plate - change.
5. You may also need to change the silencer pipes as they generally corrode in 10 years.

These jobs even if carried out by MASS should not cost over 15K. Add another 5-10K for tyres and seat covers.

That said, there is nothing wrong in retaining the vehicle. I still have 2000 Esteem MPFI and barring maintenance as per the service book the only thing I have changed is the AC System from R12 to R134. Of course tyres and battery are changed when ever required.

At this stage the cost of the vehicle has more or less stabilised and a couple of years here or there would not change the price much. I suggest that if you carry out the above mentioned jobs the car would continue happily for another ten years.

Until and unless you want a status symbol, the Alto800/AltoK10 are nearest in driving feel and maneuverability to the 800. The i10 is slightly bigger and more expensive. In my opinion the K10 is today best city car this side of 5L.
Thanks for the tips Aroy - would surely note them down and carry out the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by u_chill View Post
I am sure you will get decent resale for a single owner low running 800. The Polo sounds wicked allrite, even a 1.2 Polo seems bit of a overkill for post retirement usage.

Sure no auto boxes will be considered here? The A-Star has all the qualities to qualify as your next trouble-free Maruti.
Dad just don't want to let it go! I understand his feelings as he bought this car into his 40s after stabilizing everything - thats why I want to retain it too.

Dad loves driving and don't think retirement's gonna affect that

As for autoboxes - dad feels they are eerily simplistic to drive and takes control away from the driver. So chance of an autobox is remote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Keep the 800, get a polo 1.2 which i assume is less pricier then the 1.6 that way both of you guys have a car, the difference in the price for 1.2 and 1.6 could be used to maintain the 800 which i am sure won't cost too much to keep running.

Have a m800 myself valued at 30k (insured value).Don't plan to sell of same and may buy a polo but some time for that.
Thanks for the input!
Old 12th September 2010, 14:46   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the tips Aroy - would surely note them down and carry out the same.

Dad loves driving and don't think retirement's gonna affect that
If your Dad really loves the car then get it done up. Overhauled all systems, repair & replace as per the service book. including rubber parts. The 800 would go on and on, and never fail. I have seen some of the twenty year old specimens with over 2L km still going strong through storm and rain.

Until and unless there are rust spots do not get any denting and painting done. The original paint is quite tough and sprayed on paints do not compare.
Old 12th September 2010, 19:18   #26
Senior - BHPian

Keep the 800, that car is really worth keeping, buy a new car. that sounds like a good option. Your dad might have a hard time adjusting from the 800 to the 1.6 specially since this has soo much power and spot on brakes.
Old 12th June 2011, 21:53   #27
Senior - BHPian

Re: My dad's 2001 MPFI M800 - Keep or upgrade?

Guys - dad has made up his mind to sell the car.

Asked for a price check here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2388653

please see if you can help

I may then post it on the classifieds section.

Thanks.
Old 30th June 2011, 00:21   #28
Senior - BHPian

Re: My dad's 2001 MPFI M800 - Keep or upgrade?

The car in question has been sold. Lately dad came back from his transfer and found some issues with braking / steering.
Price paid: 40000 for as is condition.
I know it was hard for dad to say goodbye - but life should move on.
Till the time I am in USA, dad shall be using my i10. After that a new car hunt shall begin.
Thanks to all for their comments.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks