Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2005, 15:55   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hatchback replacement for LANCER

One of my colleague has a 2000 model Lancer which has done 70000 kms. The maintenance of the car is heavy which was already discussed in this forum. The guys pointed out that the problem could be with the dealer and not with the car. Also we are not happy with the dealer (ACT India).

For a minor accident they gave a quote for Rs.88K, which was later done outside at a cost of Rs.7.5K. The car has got following problems

1. Rear RHS Window got dislodged & power operation is not working

2. AC effect is very poor

3. Poor mileage (6-8 KMPL)

4. Horn not working

We have decided to get all these works done outside the showroom, bring back the car to reasonable condition and use it. If it keeps playing with our wallets, decided to sell it off. This would hardly fetch us around Rs.3L

We want to go for a hatchback as a replacement for Lancer. The requirements are

1. Daily 30 kms two way city travel ( Thiruvanmiyur - T-Nagar)
2. Options open for both petrol and diesel
3. Less maintenance
4. More mileage
5. Safety aspects needs to be addressed

Please let me know your views on this.
Old 26th July 2005, 16:43   #2
Team-BHP Support

Don't take it personally but your having been involved with the Swift discussions intensely, why waste space with another thread, you know the answer or can find the answer using the search button on top
Old 26th July 2005, 18:04   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
Don't take it personally but your having been involved with the Swift discussions intensely, why waste space with another thread, you know the answer or can find the answer using the search button on top
I don't know anything about cars other than to purchase vehicles for my employees which was already zeroed in by the user. I did intense search only after I decided to purchase one and found this site. Whatever I had written here in this forum about cars is what I heard from the actual users and that's not my experience.

I had no intention to create unnecessary threads. It's my mistake that I have not mentioned that we dont have idea for Swift because of the delayed delivery time frame. On the face, we have TATA Indica (Diesel) & Wagon-R in the list. Internet has grown to the extent where you get all sort of details on your screen & I will do that
Old 26th July 2005, 19:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

You did'nt mention your budget. Hatchbacks have a pretty wide price range these days.
Old 26th July 2005, 19:29   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
You did'nt mention your budget. Hatchbacks have a pretty wide price range these days.
Initial investment is no issue subjected to trouble free maintenance interms of spare costs and service
Old 26th July 2005, 19:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise
Initial investment is no issue subjected to trouble free maintenance interms of spare costs and service
SKODA OCTIVIA

The biggest hatch out there!
Old 26th July 2005, 19:45   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Easy,
The new Hyundai Santro eRLX.
Though Safety is an issue.
It is a tough combination to get safety and a cheap to maintain car.
Try the Palio Diesel out.
It is cheap to own, Has better build and holds up better, is Safe, gives a decent FE, is Comfortable.
The only thing is that you will have to get it serviced from an Independent Garage.
Next option will be Santro eRLX (the recent upgrades have done wonders to it's FE).
After which te WagonR but that would be it looking at your requirements.
Old 26th July 2005, 20:02   #8
Team-BHP Support

Your options are
Tata Indica Diesel : Cheapest in running costs(including fuel and maintainace) and also the safest of the small cars.
Santro Erlx : Autocar Aug gives is a higher rating than wagon R in almost all respects(including power handling etc.,)
Maruti Swift : Great bang for the buck
Palio diesel : ASS issues? Also pricey

Since he used to drive a lancer, Indica is almost ruled out as he will find the power horrible. Santro Erlx/WagonR seem the obvious choice, however if you are willing to stretch your budget into Swift range, indigo TDi seems a viable option, even though its not a hatch.
Old 26th July 2005, 21:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise
1. Daily 30 kms two way city travel ( Thiruvanmiyur - T-Nagar)
2. Options open for both petrol and diesel
3. Less maintenance
4. More mileage
5. Safety aspects needs to be addressed

my vote goes to the NHC.
yeah but its not a small car.

if its a hatch back,then u can choose between the swift and the getz.

if its driving pleasure along with FE its the swift.

if its overall comfort ,its the getz.

any other car will be difficult to fit in after driving the lancer.
Old 26th July 2005, 22:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

For the maintainence of the lancer I will say i have not had a problem with the car or the price of the spares. It is certainly a dealer problem. I had promised an email of the HM guy . Here it is.

ni_lancer@rediffmail.com

The name of the Gentleman is Mr. Narayan Iyer and he is very helpful. Lancers are known for their build quality if I am not wrong.So I think A proper service and repair will iron out most of the errors for a long time.

for a new hatch car I would suggest

1. maruti Swift for a family car and hyundai getz for singles.
2. Tata Indica DLE for anybody.

if your friend is enthusiastic about driving ask him to wait for the 1.6 palio which many people have confirmed is being relaunched on demand.
Old 27th July 2005, 07:32   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
maruti Swift for a family car and hyundai getz for singles
I guess you said it the wrong way, Getz is the family car, unless you derive pleasure in squeezing the family in a smaller space and then running full throttle . Jokes apart both a re family cars, its just that the getz has more interior and boot space than the swift
Old 27th July 2005, 10:41   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
For the maintainence of the lancer I will say i have not had a problem with the car or the price of the spares. It is certainly a dealer problem. I had promised an email of the HM guy . Here it is.

ni_lancer@rediffmail.com

The name of the Gentleman is Mr. Narayan Iyer and he is very helpful. Lancers are known for their build quality if I am not wrong.So I think A proper service and repair will iron out most of the errors for a long time.
Thanks Devarshi84. As informed earlier the first option would be to live with Lancer. I will give a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Since he used to drive a lancer
He has got a corolla and this lancer was used by his wife. The reason why looking out for a Hatch is she can drive on her own in absence of the driver (newbie for driving).
Old 27th July 2005, 10:56   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
I guess you said it the wrong way, Getz is the family car, unless you derive pleasure in squeezing the family in a smaller space and then running full throttle . Jokes apart both a re family cars, its just that the getz has more interior and boot space than the swift

I find the getz to be a singles car as it has a more sporty shape and peppy engine than the swift.

Swift is comfortable enough for four and has all the luxuries needed by a family.

I wouldnt want to be caught with a Swift among the young people.But I vote it better than getz anyday. remember getz being introduced on Anu maliks music for the young people??

iT;S ALL A LOVE IT HATE IT RELATIONSHIP WHICH SOME MAY AGREE WITH ME AND SOME MAY DISAGREE.

as FOR THE LANCER i WILL STILL RECOMMEND TO KEEP IT.Once the car is properly repaired I think it will run just fine.
Old 27th July 2005, 11:02   #14
Team-BHP Support

huh, the getz is more peppy! Look for any road test in any magazine, the swift scores in pickup and top speed but loses in interior space and quality. You can look at July Overdirve/Autocarindia
Old 27th July 2005, 11:11   #15
Senior - BHPian

My mistake about the pickup. Axually am confused a lot beween the two cars with the so many threads going around. My other factors still remain the same.
I wouldnt want to be caught around my college with that Maruti(no more swift or getz. its confusing) I like the sporty looks of the hyundai more than maruti. But I will never buy a hyundai.Maruti is the winner here. I just dont like it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks