Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2010, 19:42   #1
Senior - BHPian

Swift VXi (w/ ABS) or Fabia

Hi,

I was planning to book the new swift (w/ k series engine) vxi with abs when skoda decided to slash the fabia prices by 50000 INR (i believe that is the straight cash discount they are taking about, if not please ignore the rest of the post). now i could buy the fabia considering the fact that its 50k cheaper and was going through skoda's website to check out their base model's features and to be honest, was totally amazed by what all is in place even for a base model. so i decided to get an expert opinion from you guys that considering fabia to be around 4.44 lacs now would it be a better buy than the new swift vxi w/ abs
few questions for you all
1. how much is the difference b/w fabia n k series swift's mileage (my daily run would be about 40-45 kms and 50 kms on weekend)
2. fabia's engine power is around 14 bhp less than that of the new swift, is this something to worry about, does this mean that fabia is sluggish or slow as compared to the swift (in terms of pickup, drivability etc.)
3. fabia doesn't meet bharat IV norms whereas the new swift does, is this something i need to be concerned about?
4. is there a huge difference in service costs or any other cost that i wouldn't be able to avoid?
5. fabia's base model comes with airbags but not abs....swift would be with abs but without airbags - which is a better option here? i personally feel airbags are a safer bet than abs
6. any other pros n cons that i have missed or can't think of right now

guys i've followed team-bhp forums for quite a long time now and i would only be counting on you guys' expert opinion
thanks much in anticipation
Old 31st January 2010, 21:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

Skoda's not offering a straight cash discount

look into the first post in this thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1708814

Also, now that BS4 is going to be applicable in a couple of months from now onwards, you should stay updated.

Service costs - close your eyes and go for Maruti. Skoda has been accused of delivering lemons, jacking up service costs, changing parts of cars coming for service and what not.

ABS is more useful than Airbags, as only a broad front impact shall deploy the airbags, but ABS coupled with some prudent driving might actually let you avoid that collision.

Also, Fabia is going to be repositioned under VW polo as a cheaper alternative - soon.

So now its your call between the Swift and the Fabia.
Old 31st January 2010, 21:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

blackasta has already answered your query. Since you have been following tbhp, you might have very well read about Skoda's pathetic (I am being kind here) A.S.S. If its between Swift/Fabia. Its Swift, no brainer. Haven't you considered the i10/punto/i20?
Old 31st January 2010, 22:01   #4
BHPian

Undoubtedly Swift is a better choice.
Fabia is better known for the diesel engine than its petrol.
BS IV norms are round the corner and its better to get an car with an engine thats compliant. Also BS IV has lower emissions and that means we can do our bit in protecting the environment.
Skoda A.S.S has a bad reputation. I've heard several horror stories.
Swift ZXI has airbags and ABS. I personally feel both are very useful. ABS is helpful in avoiding a potential accident and Air bags come into picture after an accident has happened. It doesnt mean one is better than the other.
Old 1st February 2010, 13:07   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Shut your eyes and go for the Swift.

1. Engine : The Fabia runs a lousy 1.2L 3 cylinder unit, while the 1.2 K series 4 cylinder petrol is amongst the best small petrol engines sold in India. Suzuki's done a fantastic job with the 1.2L. Compared to the Fabia's petrol engine, the Swift 1.2 is quicker, more fuel efficient, more revv-happy, refined and driveable.

2. Reliability : Many Fabias suffer from reliability issues. It's a market dud (sales of a mere 500 - 750 cars monthly) for good reason.

3. Cost of ownership : The Fabia is a European car and one that costs more than a 20 lakh Accord to service. Parts are also very expensive.

4. After-sales : No discussion here. Maruti is at the top of the pile, Skoda at the absolute bottom.

The only area where the Fabia scores over the Swift is in its solid build and ride quality. In everything else, be it driving pleasure / performance / efficiency / price / cost of ownership / reliability / after-sales, the Swift is indisputably higher. I'd also highly recommend you to test-drive the i10, Beat and Ritz before arriving at a decision.

Last edited by GTO : 1st February 2010 at 13:08.
Old 1st February 2010, 14:00   #6
BHPian

@fine69 - I have a 1.2 HTP elegance, done 18000 km now. Service cost is 4500/- so far, which includes oil@902/l - 2700, fuel filter - 800, oil filter - 800, done at first service at 15000 km. So far i have not faced any major issues with the car. Compared to Swift, as GTO said ride quality and build quality is top notch. I have just completed a trip to Udaipur from Delhi, and it have made me all the more confident about this punny 1.2 3-cylinder engine. Mileage is around 14 overall. Initial pick-up leaves you wanted a bit,but its all fabia after the second gear. Its also revv happy and safe (abs and airbags are standard in ambiente and elegance) also the MSR (motor speed regulator) remember the jerks we get of we are in higher gear compared to the speed, its not there in fabia as the ECU regulated the idle rpm under such conditions. Fabia is already euro 4 compliant. My suggestion to you is to test drive both the models in city and highway and take a call.
Old 2nd February 2010, 09:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

thanks for all the help guys....fabia for sure is out of the picture now (more so because there wasn't a straight cash discount)
reason i'm not considering any other car is because beat, i10, ritz, wagon-r, indica, alto (i don't like the looks of any of it, no offense to those who drive one, its just my opinion) and that leaves me with punto, fabia, swift, i20
now what i get at 4.6 (ex-showroom) is swift vxi with abs (abs is something i really want in my car)...since there is no other car within this price range that's offering abs i'm not considering any

to be honest i already drive a swift lxi (my dad's though) and i just love its looks, driveability and many other things....i mean i can't possibly own any other hatchback

so now i'll book my black swift vxi (abs)

thanks for the help guys
Old 2nd February 2010, 10:47   #8
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

why not put some more money in and enjoy the Swift Zxi fully loaded instead? thats a very good car and has all the bells and whistles, not to mention the lovely alloys and excellent upsized tyres which improves its driving dynamics by far!
Since you are going as far as the Vxi ABS, you could consider stretching just a tad more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
thanks for all the help guys....fabia for sure is out of the picture now (more so because there wasn't a straight cash discount)
reason i'm not considering any other car is because beat, i10, ritz, wagon-r, indica, alto (i don't like the looks of any of it, no offense to those who drive one, its just my opinion) and that leaves me with punto, fabia, swift, i20
now what i get at 4.6 (ex-showroom) is swift vxi with abs (abs is something i really want in my car)...since there is no other car within this price range that's offering abs i'm not considering any

to be honest i already drive a swift lxi (my dad's though) and i just love its looks, driveability and many other things....i mean i can't possibly own any other hatchback

so now i'll book my black swift vxi (abs)

thanks for the help guys
Old 2nd February 2010, 21:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
why not put some more money in and enjoy the Swift Zxi fully loaded instead? thats a very good car and has all the bells and whistles, not to mention the lovely alloys and excellent upsized tyres which improves its driving dynamics by far!
Since you are going as far as the Vxi ABS, you could consider stretching just a tad more!
actually getting to vxi (abs) has meant a whole lot of stretching for me already :P would have loved to get a zxi but i guess its only vxi (abs) for now....thanks for the suggestion though
Old 2nd February 2010, 23:57   #10
BHPian

sorry to bring back the topic again.
I really failed to understand why common indians (surprisingly, tbhp-ians as well) are so much "gaga" about this k-series MS engine? As if it is one of best engineering marvel that the man has ever produced .

Believe me, suzuki is NOTHING (yes - let's read it again - NOTHING) when it comes to international 4-wheeler market. But in Rakhi Sawant's country, people choose it over even BMW.
Old 3rd February 2010, 00:06   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandas View Post
I really failed to understand why common indians (surprisingly, tbhp-ians as well) are so much "gaga" about this k-series MS engine? As if it is one of best engineering marvel that the man has ever produced .

Believe me, suzuki is NOTHING (yes - let's read it again - NOTHING) when it comes to international 4-wheeler market. But in Rakhi Sawant's country, people choose it over even BMW.
k series = sasta + sundar + mazbut + tikavw ?

And I do not think anyone having moolah for a beemer spares thought for a small hatch with 1.2 litre engine - its for the common Indians, as you said!

And as long as Suzuki does not dupe the Indians (I don't think they are gonna ever do it) like FIAT (1st coming) or Peugeot, I think Indians give a damn to the world player standing.

We all know dated products find a market in India, but we have to live with that - every car company does that with India, not just MSIL.
Old 3rd February 2010, 00:21   #12
BHPian

Quote:

Calling India Rakhi Sawant's country does not sound so good and is best avoided. Rakhi Sawant is one in over a billion. Why not call India a country of rest of the billion ?

When some engine is good, its appreciated - be it the K-series or the Kappa or the top of the line from BMW, Merc, Audi, Ferrari etc.
Common Indians would go "gaga" over the international stuff if they were available at K-series prices and thats about it.
GM doesnt produce the best engines but majority of USA wants a Chevy.
Now can we say that in Pamela Anderson's country, people choose GM over BMW ?
Old 3rd February 2010, 09:42   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Unfortunately mohandas in India we have very few alternatives to Swift in that segment/ price band which provides a total value for money,reliable and a great car. Car is not all about engineering - it is about value for money as well as availability of affordable after sales service which gets higher priority in India over even engineering.
Old 3rd February 2010, 10:22   #14
BHPian

Quote:

Why should we only choose cars that are very popular in the world? We Indians are smart and choose what is best suited to our needs. Besides the whole world is looking upto India.

As a shareholder I would rather invest in a company that sells cars rather than a company that just produces some technoloical marvel and be a museum product.Nobody is forcing you to buy a maruti and people have their preferences right?
Old 3rd February 2010, 10:43   #15
BHPian

Quote:

Still awaiting a 3 lac car from BMW. Let the country decide then.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks