Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2010, 18:18   #1
BHPian

Chevy Beat or Ford Figo

Hi, just entered the Team BHP World. All you fealls are indeed doing a great service to the community of novices like me, so a request to the auto freaks.

Am planning to buy a hatchback which is likely to be used rather sparsely, mostly for my parents. My budget is approx. 4-4.2 lakh.

I have zeroed in on i10 (magna 1.2 or sportz), Chevy Beat (1.2 LS or 1.2 LT) and Ford Figo (1.2 Duratec Petrol zxi). Can you suggest which of these models should be best suited for me. Is it worth spending the extra bucks for the higher versions (Spotz & 1.2 LT & zxi).

My priorities are fuel efficiency, low maintenance, good after sales service, comfort. Further, I am staying at Noida. Does it make more sense to buy the car from Noida or is it better to buy it from Delhi (in terms of pricing etc). Are there any RTO restrictions if I buy from Delhi?? Thank you.

Last edited by Jaggu : 26th March 2010 at 19:46. Reason: Formatting, also please post in the relevant sub forum. Thanks
Old 26th March 2010, 21:50   #2
Team-BHP Support

If its mostly for your parents and would be used sparingly and if your budget is about ~4.2, I would say increase it to about 4.5 and get them a Ritz LXI. The FE is well taken care off with K series engine. And if they prefer to sit in the back, again, it would be the best of all. i10 ride in the back is a bit bumpy.
Old 26th March 2010, 22:51   #3
BHPian

well with ur budget, you have BEAT as ur best match. Other IMO would be 2010 Zen Estilo vxi or a Spark LT.
Old 27th March 2010, 02:40   #4
BHPian

Ford Figo is the best in class
Old 27th March 2010, 03:22   #5
BANNED

I have had the same criteria to narrow down a hatch for parents and another for my in laws. Parents put very few miles per year, so I convinced dad that he should not be looking at FE at all, but be looking at driving comfort instead. That made us pick i10 Auto trans. On road it came to 5.2 lakhs which was a full 1 lakh over my budget. There was just one auto trans i10 available in blore, when we booked. Luckily it was a color parents could tolerate.

I am now looking at a hatch for my in laws. Father in law wants a manual trans, so I am looking at the Figo. Given its length advantage ( over Ritz, Beat, i10) it should hold a couple full suitcases at the back with rear seat passengers. A lot of our trips are to the airport, so that should help. I think figo is excellent VFM @ 4lakhs. But, like the *** available with Ritz, although a little pricier.
Old 27th March 2010, 10:28   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Are you parents going to drive or be driven?

As compared to the i10, both the Beat & Ritz 'suffer' from:

1. Comparatively high dashboards - difficult to see immediately in front of the car;
2. Thicker B/C pillars & smaller rear (hatch) window - tougher to reverse etc
3. I think both are wider cars than the i10 (at least visually!) which can be a hindrance to the occasional driver

Personally, I feel that the i10 is the easiest to drive in city traffic for the occasional and/or elderly driver. You can even think of the base i10 1.1 as it is supposed to give more or less the same mileage as the 1.2 at a low upfront cost.

However, if they are going to primarily/exclusively driven, go for the Ritz as rear legspace and ride is almost similar to a sedan and has excellent mileage too!

The Ford Figo may not be a good idea if they plan to keep the car for 5 years +. Going by Ford's resale values, it's a fair bet to say that the Hyundai's resale will be higher!

Last edited by itwasntme : 27th March 2010 at 10:30. Reason: Figo
Old 27th March 2010, 10:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

I would recommend Ford Figo -the latest machine.
Ford has extended warranty and maintenance plans hence not too much worry about
costly spares or service etc.
Old 27th March 2010, 13:12   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Are you parents going to drive or be driven?

As compared to the i10, both the Beat & Ritz 'suffer' from:

1. Comparatively high dashboards - difficult to see immediately in front of the car;
2. Thicker B/C pillars & smaller rear (hatch) window - tougher to reverse etc
3. I think both are wider cars than the i10 (at least visually!) which can be a hindrance to the occasional driver

Personally, I feel that the i10 is the easiest to drive in city traffic for the occasional and/or elderly driver. You can even think of the base i10 1.1 as it is supposed to give more or less the same mileage as the 1.2 at a low upfront cost.

However, if they are going to primarily/exclusively driven, go for the Ritz as rear legspace and ride is almost similar to a sedan and has excellent mileage too!

The Ford Figo may not be a good idea if they plan to keep the car for 5 years +. Going by Ford's resale values, it's a fair bet to say that the Hyundai's resale will be higher!
Bang on target. Thats what I did exactly for my parents. Since they would be driven most of the times, I chose the Ritz.

If parents will be driven Ritz is the way to go. But if they are going to drive, then i10 would be better.
Old 27th March 2010, 13:36   #9
Senior - BHPian

From your choice of cars, if its for your parents: i10 Magna 1.1.
Why i10? Airy cabin, good front and rear seat comfort, high seating position, pleasing interiors, easy to drive with better all round visibility.
Why 1.1 Magna? 1.1 enigne is better for inside city usage with torque coming down in the lower RPM and provides better fuel efficiency than 1.2 Kappa.

Ford Figo is a good buy if more space is a necessity but high seating position is not.
Old 28th March 2010, 01:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

I10 - for ( Drivability, Interiors)
against (bumpy ride, vague handling, 30-40K costlier than competition)

Beat- for (Ride, Interiors, Exteriors, VFM)
against ( performance, claustrophobic rear, small boot)

Figo - for (Space, Handling, VFM)
against (performance, exteriors, rear windows roll down only 60%)

Ritz - for (space, performance, Maruti service, interiors)
against ( rear design, 50-60K costlier than competition)

Considering that it is a car for your parents I suggest RITZ.

My personal choice
1) Beat--Cheapest of the lot -- For bachelors
2) Figo--Most comfortable of the lot -- For parents
3) I10 (1.1) --Easiest to drive -- For girls
Old 28th March 2010, 17:22   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I'm not too sure if your folks would enjoy the claustrophobic rear bench of the Beat, or the ingress / egress of the Figo. Either car isn't the best for your parents if they will be primarily chauffeur-driven. The Indigo CS is the best pick for rear bench comfort in 4 lakhs.

On the other hand, if they intend to drive themselves, the Ritz and i10 are best suited to the role. Let them compare and finally choose between the two. If you can stretch your budget, please get them an automatic i10. Believe me, they'll love you for it
Old 28th March 2010, 18:02   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
My personal choice
1) Beat--Cheapest of the lot -- For bachelors
2) Figo--Most comfortable of the lot -- For parents
3) I10 (1.1) --Easiest to drive -- For girls
I was under the opinion the Figo was the cheapes of the lot.
Old 28th March 2010, 22:07   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
I was under the opinion the Figo was the cheapes of the lot.
Beat PS - 3.42
Figo Lxi - 3.5

Beat Ls - 3.62
Figo Exi - 3.82 + Music system

Beat Lt - 4 + Rear power windows
Figo Zxi - 4

Beat LTO - 4.44 + Alloys, RPW, climate control
Figo Titanium - 4.43

So basically is is 8K cheaper for base model and approximately 35K cheaper for fully loaded.
Old 29th March 2010, 09:14   #14
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 1st April 2010 at 15:28.
xingamazon is offline   Received Infraction
Old 2nd April 2010, 07:32   #15
BHPian

If your parents are going to drive the car, then we can narrow it down to Figo and i10. i10 is very easy to drive. If your parents are comfortable with Manual transmission I would recommend i10 Magna 1.1. Features in Sportz variant does not justify the extra cost. If they are not comfortable with Manual transmission, I would recommend i10 Magna Automatic. In any case, I would recommend your parents to test drive the i10 Automatic. They will love the ease of driving.

Most Viewed