Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2010, 11:10   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkDrive View Post
Hi fine69,

Good choice of colour in the end. Swift looks smashing in white. However in the LDI, you would find the A and B pillars body coloured. This should not have made much of a difference if you had gone for the black one, but on any other colour this is fairy noticable and this according to me sets back the attitude and the beauty of the swift by a fair amount.

Please consider getting the matt black stickers, for the pillars, from the dealer. They are cheap and last long too (has been doing good for more than 2 years on a relatives LXI).
I don't think this is a major problem - The Black Stickers on the A and B Pillars come at a very cheap. Infact, instead of this, if you paint the entire roof and the C pillar in black, it would look even better.
Old 10th May 2010, 12:50   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

@fine - Congrats on the car.
Trust me you will not regret the decision. However, just to be on the safer side, do check out the Figo TDCi. You will enjoy driving the Figo more given that it has almost zero turbo lag.
In the city, it is said that a diesel is easier to drive due to more lower end torque which makes it zippier. Also, new diesel's are a lot more fun to drive, cost effective, fuel efficient, and in many cases cleaner than their petrol counterparts.
However, some words of advice:
- Don't use premium diesel. Instead, find a reliable petrol pump with regular diesel. This will ensure that the car does not smoke.
- Idle the car for 30 seconds before and after a drive.
- It is a diesel, and it will not revv like a petrol. Do keep this is mind and if possible, get an after market tacho installed. Ask existing Swift owners what are the ideal speeds to change gears till you get used to the engine.
- Get the black stickers, and wider tyres installed on delivery. The tyres should be given first priority and should not cost a lot, and in the region of 5-7K for all 5.
- Rattling will happen. You will just have to get used to it, or buddy up to the Service Advisor to keep it rattle free.
Old 10th May 2010, 17:39   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I guess you are right, because just before I booked Ldi it was 2-3 months for Vxi and suddenly that changed to 3 days. However, I'd say that whatever happens, happens for a reason - in my case happened for the best! Its a little scary when I now think what if I would've taken the Vxi, thanks to you all that I didn't.

As for the white color, I guess after all this discussion and having gone through the misconception behind teflon coating (as mentioned in one of the threads) white would be the best for me.

Have planned to get 4 PW and the LHS mirror added separately, would get the door handles and mirror cowls painted white (hopefully the dealer would be able to do that) and would also get it debadged (except for the Suzuki and DDiS logos)

Wait time now is 1 month for White Ldi (dealer - Vipul motors), would let you all know when I take the delivery of my first car

Hi! buddy...how much is LDi costing you in delhi on road price? The prices you mentioned for vxi in your first thread excluding insurance seems to be very less. Please share the price details in delhi. I am also inclined towards Lxi vs Ldi!!
Old 10th May 2010, 21:40   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkp View Post
You see - this is not a car on which you are going to get any discounts - the model has been so successful that even after 5-6 years of run, it still has a wait period. So, plainly rule out any discounts.
Dad can get a minimum of 15k discount on it so that's the only reason I'd have to wait

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post
Congrats on deciding on the LDi. Since you mentioned you were getting a special price on Vxi, does that mean you cant go to other dealers?
Yep, this is the only reason I can't go to any other dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkDrive View Post
Please consider getting the matt black stickers, for the pillars, from the dealer. They are cheap and last long too
and thanks for reminding, I'd totally forgotten about them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkp View Post
Infact, instead of this, if you paint the entire roof and the C pillar in black, it would look even better.
Can try it in photoshop I guess, but I do not think it'd appeal to me, would still try it though

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
You will enjoy driving the Figo more given that it has almost zero turbo lag.

- Don't use premium diesel. Instead, find a reliable petrol pump with regular diesel. This will ensure that the car does not smoke.
- Idle the car for 30 seconds before and after a drive.
- It is a diesel, and it will not revv like a petrol. Do keep this is mind and if possible, get an after market tacho installed. Ask existing Swift owners what are the ideal speeds to change gears till you get used to the engine.
- Get the black stickers, and wider tyres installed on delivery. The tyres should be given first priority and should not cost a lot, and in the region of 5-7K for all 5.
- Rattling will happen. You will just have to get used to it, or buddy up to the Service Advisor to keep it rattle free.
I cannot imagine myself driving any other hatchback except for Swift - die-hard fan of its looks and hence did not consider any other hatchback.

Now for all the things that you mentioned I actually have some questions for you
1. Wouldn't use premium diesel however what is the way of identifying a reliable petrol pump? I live in Defence Colony and usually get my tank filled up at the South Ex BP petrol pump. Can anyone recommend a reliable petrol pump between Defence Colony and DLF Square, Gurgaon - I use the toll road to get to office.
2. I'd idle the car however would it be a wise choice to turn off the engine at red-lights where the waiting time ranges from 2-4 mins.
3. For how much can I get a Tacho installed? Other Swift owners - please recommend the ideal gear shifts with speed please, thanks.
4. What tyres are you recommending that'd cost between 5-7k. All I've seen across threads is Michelin tyres being recommended (mostly) that cost 3-3.5k a piece.
5. As mentioned by someone rattling is no longer a problem in new swifts, had something to do with some bolts that weren't tightened. Can you vet this please.

I know a lot of questions here but would greatly appreciate the help

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer551 View Post
Hi! buddy...how much is LDi costing you in delhi on road price? The prices you mentioned for vxi in your first thread excluding insurance seems to be very less. Please share the price details in delhi. I am also inclined towards Lxi vs Ldi!!
I'd ask Dad to let me know the final price of Ldi as and when he confirms it from the dealer. However, as mentioned above, 15k discount is the least that I'd be getting. Would definitely let you know the final price once I get to know. And I excluded insurance since my dad works for an insurance company and he'd decided to get it done at his office only - would include it in the final price if I get to know how much it'd be.
Old 11th May 2010, 11:02   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Dad can get a minimum of 15k discount on it so that's the only reason I'd have to wait

I'd ask Dad to let me know the final price of Ldi as and when he confirms it from the dealer. However, as mentioned above, 15k discount is the least that I'd be getting. Would definitely let you know the final price once I get to know. And I excluded insurance since my dad works for an insurance company and he'd decided to get it done at his office only - would include it in the final price if I get to know how much it'd be.
Wow man 15k ...thats great discount that too on swift diesel. I'm also from delhi and have looked at all dealers and they are not giving even one penny off on swift petrol/diesel. I wonder how is your dad cracking the deal. Pass me some inputs bro will save me some moolah.
Old 11th May 2010, 11:28   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer551 View Post
Wow man 15k ...thats great discount that too on swift diesel. I'm also from delhi and have looked at all dealers and they are not giving even one penny off on swift petrol/diesel. I wonder how is your dad cracking the deal. Pass me some inputs bro will save me some moolah.
actually Dad is friends with some bigshot who is able to get this discount. For Vxi though the Gurgaon (not delhi) ex-showroom was 4.69 lacs we were able to manage to get it down to 4.50 lacs (just excluding insurance). As for Ldi once the dealer confirms the delivery date we'd initiate talks on the discount he'd be able to give us - would share the final price on Ldi then.
Old 11th May 2010, 13:28   #52
BHPian

Quote:
actually Dad is friends with some bigshot who is able to get this discount. For Vxi though the Gurgaon (not delhi) ex-showroom was 4.69 lacs we were able to manage to get it down to 4.50 lacs (just excluding insurance). As for Ldi once the dealer confirms the delivery date we'd initiate talks on the discount he'd be able to give us - would share the final price on Ldi then.
Thank you for sharing. Bigshot contacts does help in these scenarios. I hope I also knew a few.
Old 12th May 2010, 10:52   #53
Senior - BHPian

can someone please throw some light on the points mentioned by lamborghini and my questions against them, thanks
Old 12th May 2010, 18:45   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now for all the things that you mentioned I actually have some questions for you
1. Wouldn't use premium diesel however what is the way of identifying a reliable petrol pump? I live in Defence Colony and usually get my tank filled up at the South Ex BP petrol pump. Can anyone recommend a reliable petrol pump between Defence Colony and DLF Square, Gurgaon - I use the toll road to get to office.
2. I'd idle the car however would it be a wise choice to turn off the engine at red-lights where the waiting time ranges from 2-4 mins.
3. For how much can I get a Tacho installed? Other Swift owners - please recommend the ideal gear shifts with speed please, thanks.
4. What tyres are you recommending that'd cost between 5-7k. All I've seen across threads is Michelin tyres being recommended (mostly) that cost 3-3.5k a piece.
5. As mentioned by someone rattling is no longer a problem in new swifts, had something to do with some bolts that weren't tightened. Can you vet this please.

I know a lot of questions here but would greatly appreciate the help
For the fuel, one way to know the quality of fuel would be to see the engine performance, and amount of smoke being given out under acceleration after the engine is warmed up.
However, there are threads around the forum with details about reliable petrol pumps in various cities. Do a search.
Here is one:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...pumps-ncr.html
Premium diesel is not recommended as it generally tends to make the car smoke a lot under hard acceleration. A few months ago, we too tanked up with only premium and had issues with smoking, so I plan on switching to regular diesel and seeing if there is a difference.

About the idle for 30seconds before and after a drive: This is recommended to keep the turbo in a good condition. When the car is running, there is fresh oil being supplied to the turbo, however, when the car is switched off, this cuts off the oil supply to the turbo which is cooling down and in the long run could lead to premature wear. Hence, it is advised to idle the car.
@others: please correct me if I am wrong.
However, if the signal is from 2-4 minutes, you do have time to idle the car and switch it off as well.
A tip - when approaching a red light, keep the revvs low (just below when the turbo kicks in at around 1800 rpm). This would enable you to switch the car off faster, though some idle is still recommended.

A good tacho should be around 5K, and available in any good accessory shop. However, make sure that it is installed by professionals, though I would not be comfortable doing so on a new car.
If possible, drive a Swift VDi with the tacho, go for a long drive, and understand how the engine sounds when strained, when the turbo kicks in, the speeds when the RPM is around 1800 in each gear, etc. and use these as a reference point until you get comfortable with the car.
Basically see how you would normally drive the car, and figure out the speed at which you should change gears.
PM other swift D owners for help as well.

About the tyres, since your car is new, and the tyres are new you can get a good buyback for them. A day or two before getting the car, go to a reliable tyre dealer and ask them how much Michelin XM1+ 185/70R14 tyres would cost after a trade in with your brand new Swift tyres.
Tell them that you will bring the car over to get the tyres changed the day you get the car from the showroom in order to minimize wear and tear on them.
The last time we got this done in 2005, we paid 20K for 5 14" alloys and tyres after trading them in with our then new Lancers 13" tyres. So basically we paid around 6-7K to upsize to 195/60R14 tyres (goodyear eagle venturas - they were quite popular then). I am guessing with increased competition and time, new tyres should be cheaper.
However, there is ample information available on this forum w.r.t. deals people got when upsizing to their preferred brands. Do look around.

Where did you get this information from? About the rattling and bolts being tightened?
I am in the US right now and haven't sat in a new Swift recently, though I should be taking a drive of my cousin's Swift LDi soon.

P.S. - Swift LDi's have little or no waiting periods in Mumbai and I believe there is some discount on them as well. Guess it should be similar in Delhi too, with people preferring to get the VDi (non-ABS).
Old 12th May 2010, 22:37   #55
Senior - BHPian

Ok a few questions answered here, thanks much
- Now I know of some reliable petrol pumps, also that diesel is cheaper in gurgaon - never knew that
- As for rattling, I guess I have to see it for myself (can't really help it, can I)
- Idling the car is also something that I understood

Now for the remaining 2 points
- Tacho - Can I not drive without a Tacho at all? I understand that I'd be new to driving a diesel car however I'm not the one who accelerates the car to its maximum in every gear before shifting up - I kind of keep it at moderate acceleration (low maybe but not high) when changing gears so it is really necessary for me. I mean I'm sure that engine would make some noise which would tell me that its time to change the gear. Even if I cannot make out from the engine noise would sticking to the gear changing speed as mentioned in the car manual a good idea?

- Tyres - going for Michelin 185 is something I can do at a price of 7k in exchange of stock tyres but that would be on stock rims and I'm planning to get alloys only after about an year so should I instead just go ahead with stock tyres or get Michelin - what are the pros and cons here? (I hope they too would be tubeless, pardon me if that's a really lame question but I have no idea) Also, would the FE drop down by 0.5 kmpl or 1kmpl or more than that? Anything else I should be bothered about here? Any other tyres recommended that are better than Michelins but available within the same price range? I also read here that one could even go ahead with 195s but those aren't really recommended BUT I would love to have wider tyres given I'm aware of the cons with 195?
Old 13th May 2010, 01:31   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

@fine69:
- You can definitely drive without the tacho. However, do remember that diesels may have shorter gearing and lower revv-limit. A petrol car can go to 6-6.5K RPM, and a diesel is generally around 4.5K RPM.
Therefore, it is advisable to test drive a Swift VDi and see the speeds at which to change gears based on the RPM. This will help you during the initial period, and in the long term, you would not need a tacho.
Feel and hear the engine noise at full revvs, 1800 rpm, and 3000rpm and you would have an idea of when to shift gears in a non-tacho car. You can definitely switch gears according to what speed is mentioned in the manual. I did not know if the manual had that information and hence I suggested the TD a VDi option to get a basic idea.

Tyres - The FE would not be affected majorly, and to get the best value, it is advisable to change tyres upon delivery. I believe that some members are using 185/70R14 on steel rims and I don't think it would be a problem for a year, and later on you can upgrade to alloys. Do a search for Swift D LTR and see who all have the wider tyres on steel rims.
Avoid the 195 section tyres as I am not sure how they would fit on the steel rims.
Alternatives to Michs are the Bridgestones and Yokohama line up. Check those out as well.
If you want another option, you could even look at 15" tyres on steel rims from the SX4 or Corolla base model which would fit the Swift. Check the PCD to make sure they fit though. The grip and performance would be much better, as would stability and braking. However ride would be reduced slightly.
And, the best part would be that you could get 195 section tyres. I believe 195/60R15 would be a perfect fit.

Most of the information you need is already present on the forum. Do a search, spend some time on it, so that once you get the car you would know what to and what not to do and you would be able to enjoy it to the most.
Old 13th May 2010, 13:04   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
If you want another option, you could even look at 15" tyres on steel rims from the SX4 or Corolla base model which would fit the Swift.
So you mean get 15" steel rims or is it that I can fit in 195/60 R15 on 14" stock rims?
Old 13th May 2010, 14:36   #58
Senior - BHPian

another quick question, can I keep the stock tyres and upgrade to some alloys that'd make the tyres fat? as fat as 195 maybe?
Old 13th May 2010, 14:59   #59
BHPian

@fine69:
Congrats for the LDI. Mine is also LDI.
Regarding Tacho problem. Better be cautious. It should be fitted from Prof.
Most of the times, i wont feel to have tacho. But, I have followed whats there in manual. Also, keep gear change inline with the engine breathing. Dont make it too much strained.

You could go for 185/70/R14 on stock rims.
OR
Change to 15" alloys for 195/60/R15. It works perfectly. I am using 195/60/R15.
Ride is a bit harsh, otherwise it gives me good overall control and grip.

As you said, keep stock and fit 185/70/R14. After a year or so change to alloys with 195/60/R15 once you are having good cash. Also, check Tyres/Alloys section. Lots of info.
Old 13th May 2010, 15:19   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstallion76 View Post
As you said, keep stock and fit 185/70/R14. After a year or so change to alloys with 195/60/R15 once you are having good cash. Also, check Tyres/Alloys section. Lots of info.
If I go for 185/70 R14 now then I cannot use the same tyres after a year. I think I'd go with 195/60 R15 maybe with steel rims as of now and get some good alloys later on. What do you think?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks