Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2010, 22:42   #1
BHPian

Buying a used (unregistered) Tata Nano from a dealer?

well firstly thankx for coming to this post i will be short and brief.

requirements:-
>car required for wife
>5-10 kms per day max
>very short home to office travel

Why Nano?
>budget constrains
>wife is new driver so less front overhang makes her more comfortable to drive, its her choice and her car so no arguments, next option was wagon r but thats got a waiting period of 2 months and beyond my budget also

whats the problem?
>Nano still not available openly, will take another 2-3 month, cannot wait till then
>various reports that cost is going to increase by 30 K
>dealer is willing to give me his showroom car LX model,driven 500kms with seat covers, alloys, sterio etc accesories approx 22k as per invoice
>says driven only for various show purposes not for test drive
>will give discount upto 10k or might be more if i bargain
>i will be first owner car still not registered

my concerns
>Model is 2009, i think at least a year old model, haven crossed checked exact date
>first 1000kms crucial for engine life. i dont know how was it driven or abused
>other effects related to car being not driven

what advice needed?
>should i buy this car or not? else i have to search for 2nd hand car in this range which will be out of warranty only hope is Alto and wife does not like it
>if i buy what things i should i need to check, advice expected specially from nano owners

thankx once again
Old 26th June 2010, 02:56   #2
BHPian

if she is going to drive 5-10 km, the Nano is very drivable and comfortable. Plus it's easy to park and manoeuvre. It's nice to get a new car. The problem with a show car is you don't know how many people have driven it and in what manner, i would suggest you look for a new Nano also i think its better than the alto, because it's a more spacious, efficient car.
Now in terms of wanting a car immediately, well that is a problem for both the cars. But if i had o wait i would for the Nano and knowing Tata their cars always improve in quality as time goes by so you might get a better engineered Nano than before.
Try looking around you might also come across 2nd hand cars in your budget under warranty. I've seen a couple of Nanos at 2nd hand dealers, in Mumbai
Old 26th June 2010, 08:24   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishaanranderia View Post
if she is going to drive 5-10 km, the Nano is very drivable and comfortable. Plus it's easy to park and manoeuvre. It's nice to get a new car. The problem with a show car is you don't know how many people have driven it and in what manner, i would suggest you look for a new Nano also i think its better than the alto, because it's a more spacious, efficient car.
Now in terms of wanting a car immediately, well that is a problem for both the cars. But if i had o wait i would for the Nano and knowing Tata their cars always improve in quality as time goes by so you might get a better engineered Nano than before.
Try looking around you might also come across 2nd hand cars in your budget under warranty. I've seen a couple of Nanos at 2nd hand dealers, in Mumbai
thankx bro, the car is needed at bokaro steel city and dealer says that he as delivered just 5 cars till now, finding old nano is easier in metros than there
Old 26th June 2010, 08:37   #4
BHPian

If you buy a used car from First Choice, Maruti Pre-owwned, Chevy pre-owned and such, you can get a warranty.
Why not try for a used 2004-05 Xing or WagonR. Might cost not more than Rs2 lakh.
Old 26th June 2010, 08:39   #5
BHPian

@akshay the car is needed in Bokao Stel City where my wife got a job, i can get a car here also as tata dealer is of my uncle but my father is DEAD AGAINST me driving it down and car transport people charging 20K for truck transport, so only option is what i have said

there is no true value or chevy showroom, hyundai service is 15 kms away, only service centers within vicinity are tata and maruti

if i land up with a lemon i will be screwed badly, my wife gonna kill me, considering that going for a 4-5 yrs old car is risk preposition

Last edited by Eddy : 26th June 2010 at 11:52. Reason: Please use the edit / multiquote option instead of posting back to back posts within 20 mins. Thanks.
Old 28th June 2010, 15:32   #6
BHPian

the price increase will be in the range of 5- 12k There are no specific changes as such, it has been my experience with tata cars that they keep improving on the quality of their cars as time goes by, mainly because their quality is usually never upto the mark right out of the gate, so if you get a nano , one thing is that it will be manufactured at it's new plant at sanand and they might have ironed out some of the creases. So it a little bit of premium for a new car might just work in your favour
Old 28th June 2010, 21:47   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsnt View Post
>dealer is willing to give me his showroom car LX model,driven 500kms with seat covers, alloys, sterio etc accesories approx 22k as per invoice

my concerns
>Model is 2009, i think at least a year old model, haven crossed checked exact date
>first 1000kms crucial for engine life. i dont know how was it driven or abused
>other effects related to car being not driven
You've to wait or take some risk to buy the car, atleast you're getting some good discount isn't it?

Quote:
>should i buy this car or not? else i have to search for 2nd hand car in this range which will be out of warranty only hope is Alto and wife does not like it
>if i buy what things i should i need to check, advice expected specially from nano owners
Buying an used Alto or M800 from a True Value or First Choice, I still see the warranty for one year, the advantage of M.A.S.S (anyday better than T.A.S.S), proven & reliable & convenient than Nano.
Old 29th June 2010, 12:56   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
dealer is willing to give me his showroom car LX model,driven 500kms with seat covers, alloys, sterio etc accesories approx 22k as per invoice
Quote:
should i buy this car or not?
Walk away...actually, RUN AWAY from this car. Buying dealer-demo cars is not recommended on Team-BHP. For one, you never know the true odometer reading as disconnecting it is a popular practice. Second, 50 different people having driven a car for 1,000 kms is worse than a one-person-car with 5,000 kms on it. Dealer cars are always abused. By staff and by test-drive hopefuls.

My recommendation : Buy a brand new Nano. Its perfect for city driving, and your wife will love the personality & practicality. Nanos will soon be available off the shelf (search the forum for more info).
Old 29th June 2010, 13:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

GTO, you actually worded my thoughts.

@ OP, steer clear.

Wait for a new one. Few months of wait= peace of mind of a new car.
Old 29th June 2010, 13:23   #10
Team-BHP Support

As others said, run away fast.
500kms on the do does not mean anything for a show car. It may be actually 50000kms on the road, and 500kms on the odo. If you really want to buy it, tell him you will pay 50,000 all inclusive, not a penny more.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks