Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2010, 11:05   #1
BHPian

Santro Standard and Eco LPG - Feedback ?

Hi folks,

I tried searching the forums but there is not too much *recent* feedback regarding the Santro Eco LPG and, for that matter, the currently selling Santro itself. Last discussions I see are for around 2008/2009.

Any feedback, views on whether to go for it over the currently selling Santro GL/GLS ?

Usage : City (Bangalore) + weekends nearby. Not too much driving on a daily basis. Would like to go for Santro because it seems pretty much within my budget, and looks good as a first time buy.

On another note, was following the New Wagon R thread till recently and it was mentioned there that the Wagon R Duo (Old version) is still available (As the new model does not have this variant currently). Inquired with Sagar at Bangalore yesterday, and seems like the Duo has been discontinued. Maybe a new version is being launched ? Any information regarding this ?
Old 2nd October 2010, 12:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinavm View Post
Hi folks,

I tried searching the forums but there is not too much *recent* feedback regarding the Santro Eco LPG and, for that matter, the currently selling Santro itself. Last discussions I see are for around 2008/2009.

Any feedback, views on whether to go for it over the currently selling Santro GL/GLS ?

Usage : City (Bangalore) + weekends nearby. Not too much driving on a daily basis. Would like to go for Santro because it seems pretty much within my budget, and looks good as a first time buy.

On another note, was following the New Wagon R thread till recently and it was mentioned there that the Wagon R Duo (Old version) is still available (As the new model does not have this variant currently). Inquired with Sagar at Bangalore yesterday, and seems like the Duo has been discontinued. Maybe a new version is being launched ? Any information regarding this ?
What is the kind of usage you are expecting - how many kms per month ?

My usage is also similar to yours, car is driven in Bangalore city plus occasional weekend trips. Hence I was also planning to buy the LPG variant initially.

But the response to Santro ECO was not that good and I didn't like WagonR DUO. Hence I decided to go for a petrol variant only and purchased the i10 1.1 ERA.

The major drawbacks of LPG variants are:
1. The boot space is reduced
2. LPG variants are generally available for old and outgoing models
3. The skill level of service centres with LPG kit is doubtful

The running cost per km is not that different for LPG vs petrol. If your usage is less than 500km per month, I would suggest that you don't opt for a LPG variant, since it would take many years to break even the extra premium paid for LPG variant.

If at all your usage increases in the future, you always have the option of installing after market LPG kit.

Rohan
Old 2nd October 2010, 13:22   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
What is the kind of usage you are expecting - how many kms per month ?
I don't expect too much usage on a daily basis. It is more of a weekend + errand use, say around 1000 kms on the max side, lesser on average.

How about the Santro Petrol - Don't see many reviews or feedback (I don't know when this "new" model was launched). But sales is around a respectable 6k per month.

I see Santro as the cheapest option for a "tall boy". Wagon R is costlier, i10 even more.
Old 2nd October 2010, 20:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't expect too much usage on a daily basis. It is more of a weekend + errand use, say around 1000 kms on the max side, lesser on average.

How about the Santro Petrol - Don't see many reviews or feedback (I don't know when this "new" model was launched). But sales is around a respectable 6k per month.

I see Santro as the cheapest option for a "tall boy". Wagon R is costlier, i10 even more.
Santro is Hyundai's bread and butter car. Even after launch of i10, Santro is selling quite well. There was a cosmetic facelift of Santro roughly 1 year back. Also, the engine must have been tweaked to make it BS4 compliant.

If your usage is around 1000 kms per month, then LPG does make sense.

I'm afraid the options are limited in LPG variants. You could also check out Spark LPG variant. There are some ownership reports of Spark LPG on this forum too.

Do you really need a tall boy ? Any particular reason - height / weight / back problems / elder parents ?

You could also consider Alto K10. It is a good option at this price range.

Rohan
Old 3rd October 2010, 09:44   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Santro is Hyundai's bread and butter car. Even after launch of i10, Santro is selling quite well. There was a cosmetic facelift of Santro roughly 1 year back. Also, the engine must have been tweaked to make it BS4 compliant.

If your usage is around 1000 kms per month, then LPG does make sense.

I'm afraid the options are limited in LPG variants. You could also check out Spark LPG variant. There are some ownership reports of Spark LPG on this forum too.
I looked at the latest brochure on the Hyundai website, and both GL/GLS seem good (petrol as well as LPG).

I am not hung up on LPG, just wanted to make sure I consider it if it makes sense. One of my friends bought a Wagon R Duo LPG last year and is pretty happy with it, and mentioned it makes sense.

Spark is one I haven't considered at all. Only considering Maruti/Hyundai, primarily because it is a first car and both me and my wife will be learning on it. So A.S.S, spare price etc matter more.

Will check out Spark and UVA

Quote:

Do you really need a tall boy ? Any particular reason - height / weight / back problems / elder parents ?

You could also consider Alto K10. It is a good option at this price range.

Rohan
1. My Height primarily. I am 6", and on the slightly heavier side.
2. Because of this, the Alto is ruled out, though it is awesome small car at the price.
3. Back seat is really cramped for 3 adults in Alto. It is better in Santro.

Wanted to go around all dealers this weekend, but they were closed yesterday. Let's see if they are open today
Old 3rd October 2010, 09:55   #6
BHPian

If u can go through this thread, it will help you in analyzing whether to opt for lpg or not.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/access...lling-kit.html

The thread talk abt installing new LPG kit. But logic would be same hwile buying car with / without lpg.
Basically it boils down to initial money saved.

Last edited by subscrive : 3rd October 2010 at 09:57.
Old 3rd October 2010, 10:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not hung up on LPG, just wanted to make sure I consider it if it makes sense. One of my friends bought a Wagon R Duo LPG last year and is pretty happy with it, and mentioned it makes sense.

1. My Height primarily. I am 6", and on the slightly heavier side.
2. Because of this, the Alto is ruled out, though it is awesome small car at the price.
3. Back seat is really cramped for 3 adults in Alto. It is better in Santro.
Considering your requirements, Santro ECO seems best for you. Take a test drive and decide.

While at the Hyundai showroom, also have a look at the facelifted i10.

Rohan
Old 3rd October 2010, 20:24   #8
BHPian

Went to the Advaith Showroom at Bannerghatta Rd. Lot of people around, 90% looking at the new i10 (was a crowd !). I guess I was the only one near the Santro

No discounts on new i10. Not even free insurance etc.
Old i10 has around 25k worth of discounts (Free insurance, corp discount etc).

Santro has Free insurance, free ext warranty, cash disc worth 5k, corp disc 2k.

I have the option of cash disc or some list of stuff to take in lieu :

* Sun film + car cover + teflon polish + Remote control central locking.

In addition, will have to get a basic ICE done which they are quoting as 9k (panasonic HU + 4 Kenwood Speakers).

Is this a good deal ? What can I bargain more regarding ?

Have asked the rep regarding Dussehra/Diwali deals, and he mentioned he will let me know. I am in know hurry, and I made it clear to him.

(Yet to completely decide on the exact option out of the 4 GL/GLS * Petrol/Eco), but am pretty much settled on Santro. Will check WagonR before deciding, that's about it.

(Thanks Rohit for the links, the excel for calculation of breakeven is nicely done).
Old 4th October 2010, 10:05   #9
Senior - BHPian

Go for the LPG variant, it will be economical in the long run, especially considering your usage. (But if you are leaning towards petrol variant, I would suggest that you go for a new generation car like i10/WagonR)

Go for the GLS variant. It comes with extra features like power windows, internally adjustable ORVMs, day-night IRVM etc.

Get the basic ICE and remote locking installed at the dealer. Also install a gear lock. Other accessories can be purchased outside.

I hope the current Hyundai cars are coming with engine immobiliser. If not, choose a remote locking system with engine immobiliser. It is really worth the extra money.

Make sure you take the extended warranty.

You are getting good offers on Santro because of the recent launch of the facelifted i10.

Rohan
Old 4th October 2010, 10:22   #10
BHPian

old wagon R duo is still available in some places with discount up to Rs 57000 which includes exchange bonus , free MGA insurance etc.

How much is santro GLS coming to after discounts?
Old 4th October 2010, 15:43   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Go for the LPG variant, it will be economical in the long run, especially considering your usage. (But if you are leaning towards petrol variant, I would suggest that you go for a new generation car like i10/WagonR)
Yes, probably will go with Petrol only. Usage is probably not going to be as much as I initially made out.

Quote:
Go for the GLS variant. It comes with extra features like power windows, internally adjustable ORVMs, day-night IRVM etc.
GLS makes more sense, will go for this only once I am 100% finalized.

Quote:
Get the basic ICE and remote locking installed at the dealer. Also install a gear lock. Other accessories can be purchased outside.

I hope the current Hyundai cars are coming with engine immobiliser. If not, choose a remote locking system with engine immobiliser. It is really worth the extra money.
They do have Immobilizer for all variants. Will get basic ICE done at dealer (in fact there is an audio version of GLS)

Quote:
Make sure you take the extended warranty.
This is waived.

Quote:
You are getting good offers on Santro because of the recent launch of the facelifted i10.

Rohan
True ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock75 View Post
old wagon R duo is still available in some places with discount up to Rs 57000 which includes exchange bonus , free MGA insurance etc.

How much is santro GLS coming to after discounts?
Haven't checked out all placed for DUO, only 1-2 dealers.

Need to go and check Maruti today, before making a decision. The new WagonR seems a bit costly, and with the less powerful engine, not sure why I should pay more over santro. Will get that answered today

Santro GLS Petrol is 4.21 L OTR after discount. Add ICE plus basic accessories around 15k, so total 4.36L OTR Bangalore.
Old 4th October 2010, 16:25   #12
BHPian

@abhinavm

Dear any reason you ruled out SparkLPG even with 3 years free maintenance package and in the same price band.
Fellow Bhpian would benefit from your buying experience

Cheers
Old 4th October 2010, 18:34   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanagg1 View Post
@abhinavm

Dear any reason you ruled out SparkLPG even with 3 years free maintenance package and in the same price band.
Fellow Bhpian would benefit from your buying experience

Cheers
Spark LPG seems to be the best based on previous LPG threads.

However my requirement is for a more spacious car, which the Spark definitely isn't. Hence Spark, Alto are ruled out.
Old 5th October 2010, 14:07   #14
BHPian

Hi Abhinavm, i too am keeping a close eye on the santro to be used as a rough use city car. Do keep updating about any diwali discounts they offer you. Since we are so close to the festive season, i have decided to wait a few weeks before i go ahead and book it.

But i must say, you seem to have got a pretty good deal already. I was only given free insurance last time i asked hyundai at a mini auto show held in my town.We only have 1 hyundai dealer in our town so i guess they can give or not give whatever they want

Last edited by amrisharm : 5th October 2010 at 14:08.
Old 5th October 2010, 19:43   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post
Hi Abhinavm, i too am keeping a close eye on the santro to be used as a rough use city car. Do keep updating about any diwali discounts they offer you. Since we are so close to the festive season, i have decided to wait a few weeks before i go ahead and book it.

But i must say, you seem to have got a pretty good deal already. I was only given free insurance last time i asked hyundai at a mini auto show held in my town.We only have 1 hyundai dealer in our town so i guess they can give or not give whatever they want
Sure, will keep the thread updated. Was told that even if I book now, processing will take time and dealer said he will pass on any offer that comes in before delivery of car.

Regarding the deal, here I guess it is standard. I do not know if there is any regional variation, but if you look at it, the "extra" is 5k cash discount + 3rd year warranty free.

Cash discount *should* be available across the country. The 3rd year warranty being free, looks to be hangover of their 3 Million celebration which was happening last month.

Haven't bargained much for accessories etc, as I'm yet to commit to buying that car only. But I doubt anyone is giving too much on a Santro these days (some threads mention getting entire audio kit free a couple of years ago).

This looks understandable to me, because the going is really good for car manufacturers these past months. Plus Santro is a low price car, i10 anyway has just been launched fresh - so discounts are on the old one. i20 has some good discounts.

Heard that in the Maruti low-mid range segment too, not too many offers - only on Ritz Petrol variants.

Guess this is bound to be the case until US accepts it is still in recession and the effects percolate here

Most Viewed