Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2011, 22:29   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Re-registration of my current car or buy a new diesel Hatch

Do the right kind of jugaad setting and there'll be no issues.

Don't do anything with any car - you need full money to buy a house - the more your payment ability, the better it stays.

You have an infant, you're taking a home loan - why not take things easy for a while. This car should hold good for another 20k km (get it figured out). Resell in 1.5 years in AP and then buy another one in Chennai at that time. Nothing like money in your pocket.

Max - calculate the expected amount of bribes in the worst case - its not blr u see! :-)
Old 31st March 2011, 22:27   #17
BANNED

rahul,my advise is to sell it @ the price quoted latest and get rid of ikon.

You know that ikon production is stopped so rates will tend to go down day by day.i know 70 k depreciation is too high but think once about spending 6-10k every time for service.a suspension overhaul will cost min of 16-20k and much know ignition coil problem in ikon will cost 6k

so think in those angles and decide,its better to sell it and get a Getz by adding 80 to it
Old 31st March 2011, 22:49   #18
BHPian

If I was in your position, I would sell the Ikon biting the loss.
You can either decide to buy a used car or a new car depending upon your choices.
Please do consider that you have a strong tendency for shifting across states quickly and so decide accordingly.
Old 1st April 2011, 01:10   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrahul_2778 View Post
@NFB - I didn't know this is possible. Are you sure of this? Is this rule applicable in all the states?
Yes this law is applicable across all states.

To be sure, call up few RTO agents in Chennai and ask for their rates for filing annual road tax. Total cost (Agent charges + Tax) would be less than 3k per year.
Old 1st April 2011, 15:14   #20
BHPian

@NFB - If I were in your place, I would retain the ikon for at least an year more as you can in case of temporary stay.

There wont be much of a diff in the hit you will take in an year's time.

Drawback; you will have to sell the car in AP; else get an NOC later and sell in chennai. Its possible to get an NOC for around 1500-2500.

best!
Old 6th April 2011, 00:55   #21
BHPian

Thanks for all your suggestions friends. Too many people outside this forum too are telling me not to get into the reregisteration hassle for such an old car.

I found a buyer for my car @ 1.35L. I am going ahead with the deal, I know can get better offers, but not much time in hand. At least the buyer is a nice kid who quit his job and is studying for Civil Services exams.
Old 19th June 2011, 13:24   #22
BHPian

2 months in Chennai, after endless rounds searching for a house, getting settled into a 14 hr a day job and test riding almost all the cars in my radar...
Marutis - Wagon R, Ritz P, Swift P, Swift D, Ritz D, Alto K10
Ford - Figo TDCI
Tata - Vista QJD, Manza QJD

I have a 20 km commute one way to work and in the last 2 months am finding commuting in my bike a lot faster and easier.

I have zeroed down to the below 2 options.

Please guide me the right direction.

1. new Wagon R VXI
Pros: Maruti ***, friendly car for a newbie driver (read my wife), decent equipment levels
Cons: Not a very highway safe car, breadbox design, puny 1000cc engine

2. new swift P VXI
Old 19th June 2011, 13:34   #23
BHPian

Hi Friends,

After endless rounds of searching houses on rent, test riding cars, settling into a gruelling 14 hr a day job, I have narrowed down to below options.

I have a 20 kms one way drive to work and road is a mix of highways and city roads with moderate traffic. Also, in the last 2 months, I find that commuting by bike is faster considering I am most of the time at work.

I have TD almost all the cars in my radar -
Maruti - Wagon R, Ritz P, Swift P, Ritz D, Swift D, Alto K10
Ford - Figo TDCI
TATA - Vista QJD, Manza QJD

Ok, now to my options. Please guide me..

1. new Wagon R
Pros: Newbie friendly (read my wife), good equipment list in the VXi
Cons: Already owned one in the past, puny 1K engine, breadbox design

2. new Swift P
Pros: proven car with k12 engine, driver friendly
Cons: very common, no 60:40 seats, small boot, maybe will be difficult to drive for my wife, Azure grey color readily available and I dont want to wait for 1.5 months (my choice would be white or black)

3. Ford Ikon (from TBHP classifieds, very clean car, seller asking for 2.1-2.2L, 38K kms on ODO)
Pros: Had an ikon in the past and enjoyed driving it.
Cons: out of production so cost of spares and resale (very imp for me, dont want to take a big depreciation), low mileage

I liked Vista, Manza etc and was all set to choose one of these, but since I am going to be using my bike a lot as well, I dont want a diesel car lying idle at home. All my friends advising me to go for a Diesel car, but i am not sure at the moment.

Please advise, I need to have a car within a week.
Old 20th June 2011, 09:31   #24
Senior - BHPian

That's some list you got there.
Ok here goes.
In order of preference
1. Figo TDCI
Very spacious on the inside. Good to drive too. Diesel keeps running costs in check. Ford has reduced costs of spares over the years and Spare prices are reasonable now.Good equipment list.

2. Maruti Ritz
Decent space on the inside. Good quality cabin. Great engine. Readily available off the shelf. Discounts to the tune of approx 25K

3. Wagon R
Very spacious on the inside. as you mentioned newbie friendly. Very light controls, really easy to drive and great all round visibility. Good practical boot. Easy on the pocket to run as well as service.

4. Swift
Do you want me to type about the Swift? It's a fantastic car. But with the new one around the corner it makes it at the bottom of my list. But still a great car to buy.
Old 23rd June 2011, 12:54   #25
BHPian

Finally after 2 months of deliberation and confusion for what car to buy, I have finally booked the Ritz Diesel. Paid an initial booking amount of 10,000 and May dispatched car is readily available. Got a 5000 cash discount and 4000 corporate discount, no free accessories. Thanks to all who helped the selection process. Not sure if I got a good deal though...

Now confusion on the accessories. Help :-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks