Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2012, 15:54   #1
BHPian

ASC woes: MPL Ford - Chennai *Update* Ford acts promptly

Sigh! My worst fears came true. I never expected I would be writing to Mr. Boneham. This is what I wrote to him. Serves as a summary of the big joke of a service being provided.

---
Respected Mr. Boneham,

I dropped my vehicle for the 20,000kms service on Thursday 22nd March, 2012, 10:30AM, in Vadapalani Service Centre. Till now, I have not got my vehicle back from service.

I am writing to inform you of my situation and needing your help to resolve the same, because I don’t think my issue is being addressed by anyone in the service centre. I have gone through a lot of physical and psychological stress because of this and I need your help intervening to resolve this issue at the earliest.

Vehicle: Ford Endeavour 3.0L 4x4 AT, TN-09-BK-4554
Purchased from MPL Ford, Nandanam, Chennai in July 2011

The following are the issues
- The computer systems in Vadapalani seem to be having wrong data for price estimate for Endeavour at 20,000kms. It is probably showing the old model. For example, differential oil change (front and rear) was not mentioned in the estimate. I showed the manual to the SA and asked him to change the differential oil as well. Only then this error was noted down. I don’t know if it was corrected. The SA at the time appreciated me, and also confirmed that he had placed the order for the differential oil with the supplies and issue department.

- Friday 23rd March: the SA attending to me had gone on leave. I didn’t receive any call from the service centre and when I called them at noon asking for an update, I didn’t receive any proper response. The front office person even spoke rudely to me saying that I should give them time. I said, I am just asking for an update, not delivery. I received no further calls. Then, after I contacted the SM, one person called me and told me that the vehicle was undergoing a road test and that he will call me after it is done. I didn’t receive any response after that till 3PM. I then left my work here (which is 50kms away from Chennai), rushed to the service centre and enquired about the same. To my shock, I was told that my vehicle was not being attended to since the SA was on leave. I then demanded an explanation from the SM. He said that all the service related work were complete and only the A/C needs checking and repairing. All this was very confusing, but I decided to place my trust on the SM.

- Saturday 23rd March: At 10:00AM, I got a call from one SA telling me that the differential oil will be changed only at 80,000kms, so they are not going to carry out that work. I was perplexed and again rushed to the Service Centre, showed them the manual. Only then they acknowledged that their systems were showing old model data and agreed to take up the work. I was also surprised since the SM told me yesterday that all the service related work was complete. How can the work be complete if the differential oil is not changed?

- Saturday 23rd March: no further calls from the service centre till 04:30PM. When I called again, I was told that the service was complete and the vehicle was in the A/C bay ramp. Again I was confused, because the SM had told me that the A/C repairs was being done yesterday.

- Saturday 23rd March: evening 05:00PM, I again visit the service centre asking for status. They told me that the differential oil has not arrived yet. Again I asked the SM why he told me that all the service work was complete. He said he was not aware of the differential oil not being replaced. I again argued with them about their irresponsibility and agreed to take delivery of my vehicle on Monday.

- Today, Monday 26th March: 02:30PM, SM called me in the afternoon and said that the differential oil has not yet arrived.
As you can imagine, I am at my wits end. I am a person who never rushes a mechanic at his job. The SAs who know me at the service centre know this. But my patience is wearing thin and I have no more strength to go confront anyone. I was not provided with updates, and neither was any work being done on my car. There was no differential oil being supplied and my vehicle is gathering dust in the yard.
I am requesting your intervention in this matter to ensure all jobs complete on my vehicle and speedy delivery of the same.
I have belief in Ford’s senior management and so do many members of my online community and I trust corrective action will be taken.

Many thanks,
Shyam Suyambu

944XXXX184
8939YYYY41

---

Imagine a customer, who has brought their costliest offering in India and also paid tens of thousands more for Ford genuine accessories, receiving this kind of treatment.

I have several other issues which I didn't write, a few examples which come to my mind.

- They employ SAs who can't even communicate or write down things properly.
- During one of my visits, I asked the SA to check the ABS system as I had to use it 3-4 times the previous day. He asked me what was that!
- The SA didn't know where the VIN was encoded on the vehicle (OK; I can forgive him for this one).

Last edited by ssh1979 : 26th March 2012 at 15:55.
Old 26th March 2012, 16:07   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: ASSC woes: MPL Ford - Vadapalani Service Centre, Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh1979 View Post
Sigh! My worst fears came true. I never expected I would be writing to Mr. Boneham. This is what I wrote to him. Serves as a summary of the big joke of a service being provided.
I guess it's ONLY in India we have problems of this kind. Probably because people tend to take things for granted! If you have pasted here the same mail that you sent to the MD, I have noted a mistake - you have mentioned the same date 23-Mar-2012 for both Friday & Saturday. Hope things will clear for you soon.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2012, 16:13   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I guess it's ONLY in India we have problems of this kind. Probably because people tend to take things for granted! If you have pasted here the same mail that you sent to the MD, I have noted a mistake - you have mentioned the same date 23-Mar-2012 for both Friday & Saturday. Hope things will clear for you soon.
Oh yeah, my bad!!! I mentioned the date wrong. I was in a very dejected & depressed mood when I started to write and just read the descriptions once for accuracy, didn't check the dates.
Old 26th March 2012, 18:47   #4
BHPian

Updates since last post:

Today Monday 26th Marc 17:00: SM calls me to tell the differential oil had arrived and he will deliver latest by afternoon tomorrow. I again ask him not to rush, but to complete the job well.

Today Monday 26th Marc 17:05: I check my BB to notice that a mail from Mr. Boneham's office has arrived.

<< mail arrived at 16:56 (before SM's call)
Dear Shyam, thanks for your email. I am concerned about the issues you raise related to your service experience . I have asked Mr. Ruchik Shah, our GM Customer Service, and his team , to investigate the issues and work to resolve the matters appropriately, best regards, Michael
>>

with copies to their executives.

Today Monday 26th Marc 17:15: executive from Mr. Michael Bonham's office calls. She says they've just spoken to the SM and that the SM told them that he had just contacted me and promised delivery tomorrow. She took confirmation from me that the information was correct. She proceeded to read a bulleted list of complaints that were forwarded to the RM for action

- Customer had to specify what work needs to be done as part of Standard 20K service instead of ASSC's cognizance of the same check
- No running stock of differential oil maintained check
- People dependent and not process dependent and no timely updates provided to customer in case of delays check

I thanked her and the MD's office for their help.

A huge feeling of relief. In retrospect now, I think why was it necessary for me to go so far up the ladder to get someone acknowledge issues. I would hate to do this one more time and I pray I don't have to.

But I have to salute the MD's office for such a spontaneous response to one customer's problem.

ssh1979 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th March 2012, 19:34   #5
BHPian

Update:
Today Monday 26th March 19:30: Customer Relations Manager calls and gives an update on the WIP: oil change to be complete in next half hour. Road test tomorrow morning. Requested them to confirm delivery time so I can plan my day. He has promised the SM will call me and give the delivery time.

Overwhelming indeed especially after the underwhelming treatment earlier on.
Old 27th March 2012, 12:56   #6
BHPian

Re: ASC woes: MPL Ford - Chennai *Update* Ford acts promptly

Update:
Today March 27 09:45AM: Sr. Service Manager calls to inform that vehicle is ready.

Today March 27 10:30AM: Sr. Service Manager accompanies me for test drive (I was never offered before, i.e., on previous occasions and I had to ask myself everytime). Vehicle felt good and smooth after service and the one issue I had mentioned are taken care of. Vehicle was VERY CLEAN, cleaner than usual. SSM again apologises for mess-up. I was also happy to see the return of my usual SA who finally delivered the vehicle.

Total cost of 3rd free service: Rs. 5074. Major items: engine oil (7L), oil filter, air filter, differential oil (4.5L).

Thank you Ford!!!
ssh1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 13:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

Shyam,

Good for you as things seems to have worked in your favour post your mail to the MD, Ford. Its a pity that the top boss had to intervene to sort out things which in the first place should have got resolved at the Service manager level.

But then sometimes you need to get the push done from the top to get things working. Have experienced it myself on a couple of occassions but in my case writing to the customer service helped. Hope this feedback is taken seriously by the Ford senior managment and ensure that the such incident does not happen again.
Old 27th March 2012, 17:46   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Its a pity that the top boss had to intervene to sort out things which in the first place should have got resolved at the Service manager level.
Sad state indeed. As I mentioned, I would hate to do this again and I pray I don't have to.

Again, I am amazed by the support I received from Ford management for one single complaint from one single customer.

Here is a case of Ford India intervening in the working of one of their dealerships. I am now very convinced that Ford India will not turn a blind eye or a deaf ear to a dealership screw up.

I understand such an extreme measure may not be warranted but I was too angered and physically exhausted to follow a chain up the ladder, hence I took a drastic step.

It appears that Mr. Boneham's office had done the necessary intermediate work instead. After putting the RM in charge of the situation, they opened up a Ford India customer service problem ticket. Then they did the same with MPL Ford Dealership customer relations (he was the one who called me yesterday night).

Today Tuesday 27 March 13:45:
phone call from Ford India customer relations to confirm delivery and "no issues". Assured that corrective action is being taken care.
Today Tuesday 27 March 16:10:
following email from customer care closing the ticket formally:
---
Dear Mr / Mrs / Ms . SHYAM SUYAMBU
This is subsequent to our earlier correspondence regarding your concern ID Number : {SrvReqNo:[XXXXXXXXXX]}.We understand our team has provided necessary clairifcations & assistance to your kind self regards to the request raised with us.
Please feel free to contact us for any other assistance 1800-425-2500 BSNL/MTNL 6000-2500 Add STD code of your state capital. (9am to 6 pm on working days). or write to us at custmail@ford.com
Assuring you of our best services and continuous support at all times.
Thanks&Regards,
Customer Relations
Ford India PrivateLtd.
---

Last edited by ssh1979 : 27th March 2012 at 17:49.
ssh1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 18:30   #9
Senior - BHPian

Nice to know of the immediate response from Ford India, though the dealer is responsible for this unpleasant incident.

I too got an immediate response when I wrote to MD's office on some power-steering related issue on my Fiesta.

On the contrary, when I complained to Maruti Udyog about the refusal of an A.S.S. center to service my WagonR, I got only a bureaucratic response without any corrective action taken.
Old 27th March 2012, 20:23   #10
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Ford India is extremely quick to respond to mails. It happened in my case and I'm happy to see that the service level and response time is quick and consistent.

Shyam, rest assured, you will be treated like a VIP from now onwards.
Old 27th March 2012, 22:13   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh1979 View Post
Updates since last post:...But I have to salute the MD's office for such a spontaneous response to one customer's problem.
I LOVE IT! Thanks for sharing the updates. Even more happy to notice the positive response and the quick turn around, though you had to push this one time. Rest assured, next time onwards when your car is at the service gate, shivers are going to go down the spines of SAs there! And you should have NO problems now onwards.

Such a response put so much confidence in these products or brands, for me! Off-late I have been so positive towards M&M seeing Anand Mahindra respond to issues like yours & now Ford too.
Old 27th March 2012, 22:25   #12
BHPian

Good to know everthing has been resolved. Appreciate Ford's quick response and heartening to know (being a Ford owner) that someone is reading the mails we send.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks