Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2012, 18:33   #1
BHPian

TASS-Horrible experience with Detroit & Tejaswi Motors

I have read many experiences on this forum and elsewhere of nightmarish experience with TASS service centers, never did I know that I will be a victim of this experience. I wish to share the terrible experience I had on 2 different occasions dealing with this so called “Authorized service centers”

To cut the story short- I bought a pre-owned 2009 Indica Vista from one of my close friends in Dec 2012. The vehicle had clocked 29000 odd kms. I gave the vehicle for a routine servicing @ Detroit motors- Ecil in January 2012.

This was the start of an disappointing experience dealing with TASS. Below is the email I sent to the TATA motors Chairman’s office documenting my experience.

1st experience- Detroit motors

To,

The Chairman,
Tata Motors
Passenger cars division

Respected Sir,

I would like to bring to your notice a disappointing experience I had dealing with one of your service dealers in Hyderabad. I own a Tata Indica Vista bearing the registration number AP10AS 7***.

I got my vehicle serviced by Detroit motors, ECIL, Hyderabad. twice in the last month for the same complaint. The service advisor was unable to identify the correct issue and rectify the problems.
I has 2 issues the first time I visited Detroit Motors. The 1st complaint was regarding unusual noise from left side tire. Was told that the bearings & ARB bushes need to replaced. The second complaint was for a leaking oil sump. I got all the parts replaced as advised by the service advisor for which I was charged Rs 6762. This was on 27/12/2011. Soon after I took the delivery of the vehicle, the problems reappeared. This time the noise was even more and the oil leaking was even more evident. I was in Bangalore & couldn’t immediately take the car back for servicing. I contacted the works manager Mr. Dennis, who asked me to get the car back once I am back in Hyderabad. I took the car back to Detroit motors on 23/01/2012. This time I was told that the left shock absorber or the front strut had to be replaced as this was causing the unusual noise & the sump gasket had to be fixed to arrest the leaking oil.

I again got these parts replaced for additional cost of Rs 5565. After getting the vehicle serviced, I set out to Bangalore in my car. After covering 220 odd kms in Kurnool, I noticed that the fuel levels started dropping drastically. I took the vehicle to a TATA authorized showroom in Kurnool and unfortunately the service center was closed as 26th was a public holiday. I was lucky to find a road side mechanic, who identified the issue to be a loose nut which was not fixed properly in the previous service that was spilling out diesel. I was lucky that nothing unfortunate happened on that day. ( I was travelling with my family and a 15 month infant in the car ). I am very disappointed with the service as it’s just not the extra money that I paid but this entire experience has also put me through lot of mental agony and stress. I feel I was charged for the same issue twice for the fault of the service advisor who couldn’t identify the problem in the first instance. To this date, the problem persists. The oil continue to leak and there are squeaky noises from the front suspension. I would like a full resolution to my issue & with all the problems fixed at no extra cost to reinstate my faith in TATA motors.

I am enclosing the service advisory slips that includes the list of problems that I brought up and the receipts paid against the repairs carried out on my vehicle

Expecting an early & prompt response.

A very disappointed customer

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________________

Reply from Chairman’s office :

Dear Mr. Harinath,

This is to acknowledge with thanks on behalf of Mr. Ratan Tata, receipt in
our office of your email of January 31st ., addressed to him.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you with regard to your car and are
referring your correspondence to the management of Tata Motors with a
request to look into the issues raised by you. We shall also request them
to respond to you directly.

Yours sincerely,

Senior Secretary
Chairman's Office

Last edited by s@tan2s@int : 21st June 2012 at 18:39.
Old 21st June 2012, 18:37   #2
BHPian

Re: TASS- Horrible experience with Detroit & Tejaswi Mot

Why did you even go to Detroit..There are already enough negative comments for them in this forum...I beleieve Maximus Motors are more knowledgeable...though less known. GM - Jagan is a very nice fellow

Infact if the nut on Diesel tank was loose than that means they STOLE your diesel. Why on earth would they need to open Diesel tank nut for fixing shock absorber or sump gasket?

Last edited by rajismine : 21st June 2012 at 18:40.
Old 21st June 2012, 18:37   #3
BHPian

I received a prompt response from the Chairman’s office the same day that the matter has been escalated to the regional office, I got a call from Mr. Sunil Reddy – Customer Support manager- Tata Motors, asking me to get the vehicle back to Detroit motors.

I took the vehicle back the next day and met Mr Parthasarathy, service manager. Mr Parthasarathy assured me that all the issues will be taken care of at no extra expense. They had the vehicle with them for 2 days. The Leaking oil issue was found to be a faulty vacuum pump, The diesel leakage was because of a nut, next to the fuel pump that was not tightened properly & the noise from the wheel was due to an alignment issue. They took 2 days to replace the part & address all the issues.

Those two days I had to depend on Meru cabs for my daily commute to work, costing me an additional expense of Rs 1500. Finally after I got the car back, I decided to stay away from Detroit motors for my next service and Give Tejaswi Motors- Madhapur a try.
__________________________________________________ __________

2nd horrible experience.

Tejaswi Motors- Madhapur

I use my car for daily commute-75 odd kms daily and have done couple of long trips in the last 6 months. My vehicle was due for a 40k service last week.

I met the service advisor, tell him that I have no major issues, all that needs to be done is the 40k service including the oil change, filter change and overall servicing. I gave the vehicle for servicing on 14th June at around 2 pm in the afternoon. Since it was already late, I was asked to collect the car the next day in the evening. I collected the car the next day, overall I was very pleased with the way the car felt after the servicing. I was happy that finally I found a good service center that I could rely on..

Well..my happiness was short lived.

Yesterday while cleaning my car, I notice huge amount of Oil spill in my parking area. I open the bonnet and see oil leakage from the oil sump area. I call the service advisor, fix an appointment and meet him at 2 pm.

I am told that the leaking is because of a broken packing seal in the vacuum pump. They promise to fix it & deliver the car by 6 pm in the evening. I do not hear from them and call the SA back by 6 pm. I am told that the part is not available and they are sourcing it from another service center and will deliver the car by 2 pm the next day.

1 pm. I don’t hear from my SA. I call him back, doesn’t answer & finally pick up after 2-3 attempts. The SA tell me that the part is still not available and they will not be able to deliver the car today and will Try delivering the car the next day.

I lose my cool and ask for the service manager. Speak to Mr Ramchander, who promises to look into the issue and deliver the car by today evening. I get a call back from him at 5 pm, to tell me that the issue is now not because of the packing seal but because of a faulty nut which requires some Lathe work to be fixed & they can only deliver the car by tomm evening

During the last 2 days that I didn’t have the car with me, I have missed a doctor’s appointment for my daughter, had to travel by cab again spending Approx Rs 1500 again. Been late to work and have gone through an agonizing experience all over again.

Till now, I am not sure whether I will get my car back tomorrow, I have to drive to Latur this weekend to attend a family wedding & am now wondering if I will have to make some alternate arrangements.

Overall, I have completely given up on TASS service centers & do not wish to take my car back for servicing ever again. I just hope that the Tata motor’s management wake up from their deep slumber and do something to reinstate confidence in many disappointed customers like me.

Last edited by s@tan2s@int : 21st June 2012 at 18:41.
Old 21st June 2012, 19:21   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine View Post
Why did you even go to Detroit..There are already enough negative comments for them in this forum...I beleieve Maximus Motors are more knowledgeable...though less known. GM - Jagan is a very nice fellow

Infact if the nut on Diesel tank was loose than that means they STOLE your diesel. Why on earth would they need to open Diesel tank nut for fixing shock absorber or sump gasket?
Hi Rajeev,

I chose Detroit as it was the closest service center from where I stay. Where is Maximus motors located ?

The nut I am referring to is next to the fuel pump assembly area & below the plastic engine cover, attaching a pic. Not sure if there was any fuel pilferage.
Attached Images

Old 21st June 2012, 20:41   #5
BHPian

Re: TASS-Horrible experience with Detroit & Tejaswi Motors

so if nut was the issue, then you should ask Tata Motors to pursue Detroit to refund you expense on bearings, ARB bushes, Shock Absorber, Stud, Sump oil seal....They cheated you with that expense and should refund you your money...

Maximus is near pillar number 100 on the big flyover to airport

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 23rd June 2012 at 09:21. Reason: See note in post.
Old 22nd June 2012, 16:17   #6
BHPian

Just got a call from the service manager Mr Ramchander that they will not be able to deliver the car today also.

They are unable to fix the oil leakage and say that they will need one more day to fix this issue..

This experience has turned into a nightmare, this is the 3rd day that I do not have the car with me and still do not know when will I get my car back.

I sent an email to Mr Sunil ( Customer support Manager) and Tata motors Customer care yesterday and haven't heard back from them.

Any suggestions on how I can take this forward and ensure that they compensate me for the agony and distress that they have made me go through the last couple of days ?
Old 22nd June 2012, 18:20   #7
BHPian

I can understand what you are going through now. My sincere regrets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s@tan2s@int View Post
pre-owned 2009 Indica Vista from one of my close friends in Dec 2012. The vehicle had clocked 29000 odd kms.
The 1st complaint was regarding unusual noise from left side tire. The second complaint was for a leaking oil sump.
Quote:
The Leaking oil issue was found to be a faulty vacuum pump, The diesel leakage was because of a nut, next to the fuel pump that was not tightened properly & the noise from the wheel was due to an alignment issue.
Assuming it is Dec 2011, a 3 yr old Indica Vista with 30 K kms. Should be in pristine condition(relatively-Check my ride below) !

Quote:
Tejaswi Motors- Madhapur: I open the bonnet and see oil leakage from the oil sump area. I am told that the leaking is because of a broken packing seal in the vacuum pump.
I would have gone back to Detroit (and raise all hell since it is a new pump - right ?)

Quote:
part is not available
issue is now not because of the packing seal but because of a faulty nut which requires some Lathe work to be fixed
'Part not available' - Most common to me (older ride). But I am not expecting that to happen to your vehicle.
Changing(re-diagnosis) the root cause for the issue is also common to TASS. Depends on the Service Advisor. Several good mechanics departed from Tejaswi. Remember to visit the Bay where the work is being carried out on the car. Talk to the Team Lead who is in-charge of your car job card.

Quote:
Just got a call from the service manager Mr Ramchander that they will not be able to deliver the car today also.
They are unable to fix the oil leakage and say that they will need one more day to fix this issue..
Did you get a re-diagnosis again ? If the Nut is ready, the issue should have been resolved.
Did they deliver another surprise ? Or is the Lathe not agreeing to work on the Nut ?

To tip you on how I could manage ~10 yrs with TASS. (Might/Might not work for you)
a) Drop your car, mention the issues, ask for issue diagnosis & remember to ask them to call you back with the action plan. Tell them Not to start any work without getting approval from you.
b) When you get 'that' call, immediately visit the service center(based on severity). Verify the issue personally. (Yes, this takes time - but gives you peace of mind.)
c) Argue till you are convinced. Remember to tell them 'Money is not the issue. I need the correct work done'.

Sincerely wishing you many happy miles on your car ! Lets hope this is the last such incident for you !

Cheers,

Last edited by DieselDon : 22nd June 2012 at 18:21.
Old 29th June 2012, 18:12   #8
BHPian

@s@tan2s@int : Did you get your Car back ? All is Well ?
Old 7th August 2012, 18:41   #9
BHPian

Quote:

This experience has turned into a nightmare, this is the 3rd day that I do not have the car with me and still do not know when will I get my car back.

I sent an email to Mr Sunil ( Customer support Manager) and Tata motors Customer care yesterday and haven't heard back from them.

Any suggestions on how I can take this forward and ensure that they compensate me for the agony and distress that they have made me go through the last couple of days ?

Welcome to TASS and esp. Tejasawi Motors - this is so typical of them to forget to call customer and keep car pending with them for days and no work performed. Mr. Sambaya, the GM sounds at loss to control the situation as this is something that has happened 3-4 time with me. Now after owning tata cars for abt 7 years ( Marina and Safari) - I have realized that even to expect some decent service experience is waste of energy. Expect worst and be on top of the game - chasing/shouting is what gets job done. Tata motors regional officers are only good for followups and don't expect any proactive stuff from them..they seem to be covered uptil their chin handing escalation'n escalations !

Regards
Vivek
Old 8th August 2012, 00:24   #10
BHPian

don't even think about Detroit, They can put a bomb in your pocket without your Knowledge. They claim that they charge less among all service centers. They also say that Detroit is NO 1 in South & NO2 in India, Not sure how far it is true.

For Hyderabadis, I heard Brindhavan T.A.S.S is good any one any comments, Better or bitter experiences? Please share.
Old 8th August 2012, 15:40   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDon View Post
@s@tan2s@int : Did you get your Car back ? All is Well ?
Hi DieselDon.. Apologize for not keeping this thread updated.. I did get the car back finally on 25th but after a lot of drama.

Tejaswi motors finally managed to fix the oil leak issue on 23rd. I had to travel that weekend to Latur and didn't have a car handy. Mr Ramchander was kind enough to arrange a replacement car till my car was delivered, but the condition of the car was horrible to say the least with a broken windshield and completely worn out tires.

I didn't have the courage to take this vehicle on a long drive and chose to borrow a friends car for the trip.

I finally got a call from Mr Ramchander on 23rd. They managed to fix the leak but they wanted to bill me for Rs 2500 for fixing this problem.

I had no intention of paying this as their inability to fix the issue on time resulted in me spending a bomb on commuting to and fro from work, having to ask a friend for his car.. etc.

I went to Tata motors office @ Begumpet the next day and met Mr Uday- Customer care manager and explained my ordeal. He was very patient, listened to my complaint and promised to resolve the issue.

He spoke to the Tejaswi motors management and asked them not to bill me for the repairs & hand over the car without any further delays.

I finally got my car back on 25th. I have to admit that the car now runs smooth and all the issues that I had are now resolved.

If not for Mr. Uday's help and his timely intervention, I would have completely lost faith in Tata Motors. I am happy that Tejaswi motors did a good job on the car when compared to Detroit as I haven't had any of those issues recur in the last 2 months & the car feels as good as new.

Considering this, I might still give Tejaswi motors a second chance for my next service & see how things work out this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuakeys View Post
For Hyderabadis, I heard Brindhavan T.A.S.S is good any one any comments, Better or bitter experiences? Please share.
Brindhavan TASS ?? Where is this located, if its anywhere close to where I stay or close to my work place..might give them a try for the next service
s@tan2s@int is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2012, 16:08   #12
BHPian

Quote:
I did get the car back finally on 25th but after a lot of drama.

I have to admit that the car now runs smooth and all the issues that I had are now resolved.
Good to know that your Car is back, safe and sound !!!

Do remember to understand the root cause & the work done to rectify.
It would come in handy in future !

Cheers, D
Old 8th August 2012, 16:47   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Brindhavan TASS ?? Where is this located, if its anywhere close to where I stay or close to my work place..might give them a try for the next service

This is the Address

Brindavan Motors TATA AUTH. SERVICE CENTER, Hyderabad
105413/a, Behind Rail Nilayam, Tookaram Gate, Secunderad, 500017

Phone004027733763

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks