Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2013, 20:25   #1
BHPian

Vitesse (Maruti Dealer at Andheri, Bombay) sells me a 5 month old Car

Hi Guys,

Just thought I ought to inform you all about the ways of dealers of new cars.
I booked a new WagonR Vxi + ABS/Airbag through Vitesse on the 19th. of June.
Before I booked the vehicle I was told through other sources there was just one such vehicle (with ABS) in all the stockyards in Bombay and that it was with Vitesse. I was a bit wary about dealing with Vitesse as the last time I bought my new Swift from them it had scratches on all the doors and had to go back for painting the day after I took delivery! However, being relatively close to my house it was easier to deal with them and they had also been chasing me from December 2012 about the new car. Anyway, when I handed over the cheque I specifically asked for the VIN number and the month & year of manufacture from the salesman, a Mr. Sachin Singh. He promised to get back to me with the details. The next day I sent him an sms (still have it on my phone with delivery details) asking him again about the above details. I never got an answer. As there was some mistake in the paperwork and the car was due to be delivered in three to four days time, he visited my home on the 24/25th. June for a signature and informed me that it was a 2013 model car. I told him then that I was not interested in the year as I already knew that (all old models were out of stock at the end of December) but I wanted to know the month. He promised to let me know the day after. The next day (26/06) I got a message from him saying he was at his Regional Office and could not communicate with me but the car would be ready for delivery on the 27th. and to communicate with another salesman in the meanwhile. That particular gentleman did not know what a VIN number was!! There was also a lot of communication going on about accessories and a special number plate and in the midst of all this I forgot to ask again about the VIN number. The delivery was delayed by a day due to RTO issues and finally I took delivery on the 28th. of June.

The delivery process took more than an hour as the car was not ready and he kept pleading with me not to write this on the feedback sheet. Being in a good mood - who isn't when you are taking delivery of a new car - I agreed. Finally the car arrived and I went to take a closer look at it. The first thing I went to look at were the tyres to see if they were the usual JK or something else and was quite surprised to see they were "Maxiss"!! I asked about this and was told that all WagonR's with Abs get this brand. I then looked closer and noticed that they were marked 4112 which - correct me if I'm wrong - means they were produced in October 2012. This got me a bit concerned but as it was getting late and they were closing they wanted to do the handover and the final check and soon I was on my way. However, before leaving I did mention my misgivings to Mr. Singh about the date on the tyres. I got the usual salesman's mumbo jumbo from him as an answer.

The next day I took the car for the "blessing" and while waiting I noticed that the glasses all had "12" marked on them. As any of you who have bought a second hand car knows, this is the first thing a buyer/dealer checks. If it is marked "12" means it was produced in 2012. I was now seriously worried and called up Mr. Singh immediately. He said it was impossible and gave me his personal guarantee that it was a 2013 car. He said there was two Swift's in the showroom with "12" marked on their glasses. Got home and checked the VIN number myself and asked the TBHP expert "Wildon" to confirm my findings.
It was a January 2013 car which they had sold to me in June 2013!!!
The car had been standing in their stockyard for more than 5 months.

I was really upset about this and wrote to their customer care manager immediately. Basically, I got no response and no help from them.

I have also written to Maruti and am still awaiting a response from them.

I know what you guys are going to say;
"You should have checked the car in the stockyard".
"You should have followed the TBHP checklist" etc. etc.

I agree with all of you before you even comment on the same. I guess the mistake was mine but this is not the first new car I have bought and I thought I knew what to look for. I also did, on at least five occasions, try and obtain the details and am sure that they were well aware of the date of manufacture and hence avoided giving me an answer.

Also, not every customer is a TBHP member who knows all about VIN numbers and checklists etc. Does this mean that just because the average man on the street is not knowledgeable on the finer points that they can dupe customers this way?

All I want to know is :
1. Is there some sort of time limit from the production date of the car to the date it can be sold to a customer as a new car?
2. The car has been standing on these tyres for 5 months. Tyres were produced 8 or so months ago. What would be the effect on these tyres? As we on TBHP know, the rubber in tyres has a shelf life and all the tyre gurus on this forum always maintain that one should never buy a tyre if it is more than 6 months old. What should I do about the tyres?

Isn't it sad that I went with the most expensive model just for the safety features (I wanted the ABS and airbag) and I got an dated model instead.

Other members dealing with Vitesse, beware!!!

Regards,
SS
Old 10th July 2013, 21:04   #2
BHPian

re: Vitesse (Maruti Dealer at Andheri, Bombay) sells me a 5 month old Car

suzukisan, after reading your experience, not sure whether to congratulate on your 'new' car. Just because the car is 5 months old does not imply something is wrong. Please make sure that this particular vehicle was not used for test drives etc.

Also doubtful if anything can be done now. Have you tried contacting the MSIL regional manager?

With your past experience with Vitesse, it might have been a good idea to take a look at the vehicle+VIN just prior to registration.

Last edited by xotiq : 10th July 2013 at 21:06.
xotiq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2013, 09:52   #3
BHPian

It is alright Suzukisan. Just try and check for usual wear and tear in the car but do escalate this to the maruti management. This kind of attitude will not bode well for any customers. Just try and enjoy your new car till then, if issues do pop up, do have your communication handy to escalate this even higher. It'll be resolved, considering how proactive Maruti is.
Old 11th July 2013, 21:01   #4
BHPian

Hi Arch Angel & Xotiq,

Thanks for the comments.
I was given the email address of a person higher up in the management chain by another BHPian and so have written to him and am awaiting a reply.
What was really annoying was that Vitesse were not willing to accept their mistake and just kept saying "It's no problem Sir"!!

Meanwhile, I have to say that I do like the car as it is a far cry from the old model. Lots of improvements especially the dashboard and suspension. The 3cylinder engine is a bit sluggish but I'm sure I will get used to that. Also a lot more space inside.

Kind Regards,
SS
Old 12th July 2013, 18:14   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Suzuki san, it is understandable that you are feeling cheated, I too would have if in your same situation. However I feel there is nothing which can be termed 'illegal' which was done by the dealer. The car was manufactured in Jan 13, hence as they mentioned it was not a 2012 model vehicle. Yes, they didn't tell to you that this car was with them for past 5 months.
My point is your complaint mentioning sale of old car may not be taken up eventually by Maruti.
Old 12th July 2013, 21:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

Sorry Suzuki San, but I don't know why you are so upset and blaming the dealership. You asked for a 2013 car and they gave you one. If you were so particular about buying a recently manufactured car, you shouldn't have given the cheque for the full amount before getting the VIN. In my experience, if you are firm about getting the VIN before making the payment, the dealer gives it up - especially if its a slow moving model like ABS/Airbag equipped Wagon R.

Anyway, this particular model has to be specifically ordered from the factory because of low demand. I guess someone booked it and then cancelled it at the last moment. Unless you find some damage/signs of TD/wear & tear - you shouldn't be worried. 5 months is not that big a period - maximum is you can ask for a new set of tires from the dealership.
Old 14th July 2013, 13:41   #7
BHPian

Hi Ethanhunt and Suhas,

Thanks for your responses.

I got a call from the General Manager of Vitesse yesterday. Basically a "consolation" call is what I would term it. Anyway, they are not willing to give a set of new tyres or anything else. All he would offer is that they would take off the tyres and send them to the makers to see if there are any faults. We all know what the answer to that will be. I have had dealings with tyre companies before and only in the most exceptional cases will they agree to a manufacturing defect.

I had written to one of the bosses in Maruti but as of now, no response.

I agree with what you said - I should have insisted on the getting the VIN and checked it myself. Anyway, once bitten, twice shy. The lessons I have learnt are :

Lesson No : 1 : Do not deal with Vitesse again
Lesson No : 2 : Do not trust a car dealer - new or second hand. Take everything they say in writing. Seriously!!
Lesson No : 3 : Do one's own "due diligence" before buying a vehicle.
Lesson No : 4 : The most important : Follow the TBHP checklist when buying a new or second hand car.

I hope that prospective new buyers will take the advice above.

Kind Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2013, 19:48   #8
BHPian

Much as I hate it when manufacturers and dealers try to pull a fast one on paying customers, in this case I feel you are overreacting a bit.
It is quite understandable that an ABS+Airbags WagonR that was manufactured in Jan 2013 is unsold till June 2013: that segment is a price sensitive one and people do not prefer paying for extras.

From everything you have mentioned, it doesn't seem like the car was used for test drives or anything like that. I don't think you have anything to worry about. A car standing unsold and idle is not a bad thing, unless it was subjected to harsh weather conditions in this period.

Yes, I agree the tyres are a bit old. But what bothers me more is the fact that your car has tyres from an unheard of company, and not that they are 2012 manufactured. Tyres do age, but very marginally. I personally feel that the advice of "do not buy tyres more than a year old" is slightly exaggerated as well. Or maybe it's as a precaution against being sold used tyres, than getting tyres that have 'aged'.

Also, the GM did the right thing by calling you personally and assuring you, what a night-and-day difference from some other manufacturers who consider a sale as the end of the customer relationship and never bother about them again!

So Suzuki San, don't worry about these small things, and just enjoy your car!!

Last edited by EagleEye : 14th July 2013 at 19:52.
EagleEye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2013, 21:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

Suzuki San - Let me first congratulate you on your buy.

We happily polish off fresh juices in tetra packs that have 6 months shelf life on the 6th month or sometimes without even noticing the date - so, i would suggest that you start enjoying your car, and not worry too much about the 5 months it spent at the yard.
Old 14th July 2013, 21:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Guys,

Just thought I ought to inform you all about the ways of dealers of new cars.
Sir ji,please go to my delivery report of Alto K10 in my Alto K10 thread.It is same Andheri Vitesse dealer who wanted to sell me last years car in the month of march.This dealer must be Black Listed .
I went to stock yard ,saw my car being unloaded from the truck ( I had told them not to unload the truck till I reach.I saw my car and checked the documents the truck guy had with him,came back .Thats it...

Last edited by GTO : 17th July 2013 at 16:39. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post.
Old 15th July 2013, 17:15   #11

Hi Suzuki San,

I can understand your concern but I would not worry if I were you. Just because a car has been standing on a lot does not mean it's gone bad. You're just as likely to end up with a car that has niggles fresh from the factory. If you haven't noticed any odd things, you should enjoy the car. The tyres Maxxis is one of the brands that the WagonR comes shod with so no cause for concern on that front. And am sure they shuffle their cars around to accomodate new arrivals, taking out of other cars for delivery etc so you can be sure that its been switched on, and moved around a little so its just not been standing in one place on the same spot on its tyres. This seems logical on a lot filled with cars so am guessing your car would not have been completely idle standing on the same spot on the tyres. Your model takes 4-5 months to order, I checked when I was buying my own WagonR of which I took delivery just last week. So probably it was ordered and cancelled. Even mine was so I got my preferred colour a little earlier.

As long as its working fine I'd say go ahead enjoy the new car and not worry about what faults 'may' be there

Remember, although there are many people on team-bhp, there are millions more who are not and who just buy a car at the showroom itself and things run just fine. So don't sweat the small stuff or you'll actively start listening for knocks, rattles and groans every time you take a ride

Regards
Old 19th July 2013, 20:57   #12
BHPian

Re: Vitesse (Maruti Dealer at Andheri, Bombay) sells me a 5 month old Car

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the responses.
All in all, you guys are right. No point sweating the small stuff.
I just wanted to warn other prospective buyers who are dealing with Vitesse.
Anyway, I am enjoying the car - or rather my son is as I am out of town - but I did a short highway run and was quite happy with the performance.
Interiors are far superior to the old model. Suspension way better.
Got 15.5 Kmpl on the first tankful.
Sadly the rear parcel tray rattled from day one. Need to get that fixed.

Regards,
SS
Old 29th July 2013, 18:21   #13
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Things have taken a turn. There is still a sting in the tale!!!
A month has gone by and the first service was due.
I went for my first service this morning at Spectra Motors, Malad.
Half an hour after handing over the car the service advisor (known to me for years and who knows this is a new car) came to me very shame facedly and says they cannot do the "First Service".
When I asked him what the problem was he said that on the job card the "Sale Date" was coming up as 7th. Jan 2013 and as 6 months had now passed since the date of sale they would have to do the "Second Service".
I could not believe this and explained the whole situation to him and the works manager who finally called up Vitesse. They said to bring the car to their workshop and they would do the "First Service". I point blank refused as I do all my service work at Spectra since I have had enough bad experiences at Vitesse.
After a lot of calls between them they finally agreed to do the "First Service". At least an hour and a half was wasted. The service itself did not take very long.

Needless to say I was now fuming and went directly to Vitesse to meet the manager and get an explanation. He could not provide any explanation and said that it was probably the date it was sold to Vitesse.
This I do not believe as this "date of sale" has nothing to do with sale from Maruti to Vitesse and will definitely not come up on the Maruti computer when opening a job card.
Anyway, after a bit of a screaming session at Vitesse I felt a bit better.

The manager finally said that it was possible that the vehicle had been invoiced to someone else who had cancelled the booking but he was not committing. However, there is another issue here. If Maruti have the date of sale as 7th. Jan instead of 26th. June in their records then this will also affect my warranty i.e. I will get 6 months less warranty. I brought this to the notice of the Manager as well who said as long as the invoice is dated 26th. June it will not be an issue and finally asked what he could do to make up for their mistake.

Getting a new car is out of the question - we all know that - so I asked for a new set of tyres instead which they have finally agreed to. Hopefully I will get these tomorrow. I have gone for the Yoko's instead of the usual JK et al. Although Yoko's are not a brand that Maruti's come shod with, they have agreed to give me those.

Regards,
SS
Old 29th July 2013, 18:53   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Guys,

Things have taken a turn. There is still a sting in the tale!!!
A month has gone by and the first service was due.
I went for my first service this morning at Spectra Motors, Malad.
Half an hour after handing over the car the service advisor (known to me for years and who knows this is a new car) came to me very shame facedly and says they cannot do the "First Service".
When I asked him what the problem was he said that on the job card the "Sale Date" was coming up as 7th. Jan 2013 and as 6 months had now passed since the date of sale they would have to do the "Second Service".
Needless to say I was now fuming and went directly to Vitesse to meet the manager and get an explanation. He could not provide any explanation and said that it was probably the date it was sold to Vitesse.
This I do not believe as this "date of sale" has nothing to do with sale from Maruti to Vitesse and will definitely not come up on the Maruti computer when opening a job card.
Anyway, after a bit of a screaming session at Vitesse I felt a bit better.

The manager finally said that it was possible that the vehicle had been invoiced to someone else who had cancelled the booking but he was not committing. However, there is another issue here. If Maruti have the date of sale as 7th. Jan instead of 26th. June in their records then this will also affect my warranty i.e. I will get 6 months less warranty. I brought this to the notice of the Manager as well who said as long as the invoice is dated 26th. June it will not be an issue and finally asked what he could do to make up for their mistake.

Getting a new car is out of the question - we all know that - so I asked for a new set of tyres instead which they have finally agreed to. Hopefully I will get these tomorrow. I have gone for the Yoko's instead of the usual JK et al. Although Yoko's are not a brand that Maruti's come shod with, they have agreed to give me those.

Regards,
SS
Sale date is really the date of invoicing from the dealer to the consumer. It appears that this particular car was already invoiced to another customer, who had not taken delivery of the car for some reason. It will definitely affect your warranty, as the warranty is applicable from the sale date. Please highlight this issue to Maruti in writing and ensure that you get an assurance from Maruti on the warranty applicable for your vehicle. Also please make sure that you follow the Team BHP checklist on all future purchases.

Thank you for enlightening us on Vittesse's business practices.
Old 29th July 2013, 19:58   #15
Team-BHP Support

All I can say is it helps being vigilant while spending money on anything, esp. expensive stuff. Most dealers wouldn't mind pulling a fast one in this age of competitive pressures.

Now that you've bought the car, get it checked thoroughly and if it's all clear, enjoy the car. Five months old doesn't necessary mean it's a lemon. Probably didn't sell because of the 'optional' safety features, you know how we Indians are when it comes to the 'luxury' stuff like ABS, Airbags.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks