Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2016, 15:42   #46
Team-BHP Support

re: Fiat rejects warranty because of slightly overshooting service intervals. EDIT: Fiat agrees to help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
......Are you supposed to put your car on ice to comply with the service schedule?......
Exactly! Allowing some reasonable variance is common sense, or we'd have lawsuits from customers denied a service appointment that voided their warranty

P.S. If a manufacturer insists on being anal about warranty terms (fair enough), I believe they should document them with EULA-grade brain-numbing verbosity. Owners' manuals are deceptively vague and open to misunderstanding and/or multiple valid interpretations.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 6th June 2016 at 15:47.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 16:00   #47
Senior - BHPian

re: Fiat rejects warranty because of slightly overshooting service intervals. EDIT: Fiat agrees to help!

Let me give a flip side.
The service intervals are clearly listed out in the manual of the vehicle.
The service intervals list out the duration as well as the mileage at when it is imperative to get a service done.

Is there any reservation from the customer's side which stops him from giving the vehicle well in time and mileage before the interval expires?

EG: If it is listed that next service should happen in 1 year or 12000 km whichever comes earlier - why do customers wait for the 11999th km or the 29th day of the 11th month? Is there any harm at going in at the 11th month? Or even 10th month?
Similarly is there any concern about clocking 11500 km or even 11000 km to get it serviced?

Why do we (customers) wait till the last moment and then prepare a ready list of justifications (excuses) why it couldn't not happen before schedule?
I have seen this happen so many times especially with payment of dues like credit card, phone bills etc. There is always an expectation of grace period.
Why?
alpha1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 16:10   #48
Senior - BHPian

If I am reading the situation correctly, then the car has run 95,000 kms in 4 or 5 years which is quite a bit of running. And Fiat has not rejected anything, it is the insurance company or the Dealer that has rejected the claim on extended warranty.

Which is pretty normal for Fiat cars, because dealers and insurance companies try to wash their hands off any expense whatsoever, so it is actually the extended warranty which is to blame. (perverse logic I admit). Why do people take extended warranty, especially when it has such dodgy conditions.

Either Fiat itself gives a 5 years company warranty, or no deal. Because all these 'dealer warranty' or 'insurer warranties' are non starters. And the extended 2 year warranty is basically DoA (Dead on Arrival).
Old 6th June 2016, 16:15   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
You typically call the service centre when you start getting the alerts/ your car reaches the 15,000/1 year mark after its last service and by the time you get an appointment and bring your car in, naturally a bit more miles may have been crunched. Are you supposed to put your car on ice to comply with the service schedule?
Alternatively, you can also start planning for the service when you hit about 14500kms or 11 months after the previous service. You don't really have to wait till a day before you exceed the limits.

When I used to own a Punto (sold it almost 2 years back), my SA used to tell me that FIAT had become quite strict with warranty claims and he used to urge me to stick to the guidelines. He used to tell me that they took a more lenient view on exceeding the guideline limits on "time" (1 year), if the car hadn't done close to 15k during that time, but were quite strict about exceeding limits on "kms run" between services. So I used to plan the service accordingly and never had an issue with warranty claims.

I agree that it sounds ridiculous to deny warranty claim for exceeding service internal by less than 100km. However, then from a manufacturer's point of view, what is an acceptable number by which they can allow you to exceed the limits - is it 200? 300? 500? 1000? There is a failure on the part of the owner to get his car serviced on time and now we want the company to "thoda adjust karo".

When it is known that warranty claims are linked to sticking to service schedules, why do you want to give manufacturers a stick to hit you with?
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 16:32   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Sucks to hear of this. Fiat has paltry sales numbers and you'd expect them / their dealers to bend over backward to serve the few owners who trusted them. The company can always step in to correct an errant dealer. Worst case, if customer service was their thing, they'd pay out of pocket to keep an owner smiling.
This explains why the players who excel in their service such as Maruti, Hyundai, Honda are strong in our market.
It clearly seems to be like saying "You have taken risk by buying Fiat's car - now pay for that big mistake as well as the small variations in Odo!"

Also, this is the first time, I am hearing, if I did the first service at 14.5k, I am supposed to finish my service before 29.5K, and going upto 30K will actually cost me my warranty claims! As a Maruti owner, even though I finished my first service at 14.5K, I would assume that I can go on driving until 30K without going anywhere near voiding the warranty! I don't think owners would memorize their exact odometer readings during the service, and calculate the next service.

Just like other members said, this is just the dealer trying to avoid going through the warranty procedures, and just want to charge the customer for their own benefit. With less number of dealers within the city, the only option here is to escalate to Fiat.
Old 6th June 2016, 16:41   #51
BHPian

To be frank, FIAT/3rd party providing warranty is not technically wrong, but it is bad ethics. The user hasn't overshot by a big margin anyways and I guess contacting FIAT directly will lead to a favorable outcome.

I wish to share something I asked my dealer on the day of delivery (day 1) w.r.t the fine print related to 'x km or y days whichever is earlier' clause.

As per Fiat, the 1st service occurs at 5000 km or 6 months from day 1, whichever is earlier.
2nd service occurs at 15000 km or 12 months from day 1, whichever is earlier.
3rd service occurs at 30000 km or 24 months from day 1, whichever is earlier.
They explicitly say - after 12 months, yearly service intervals - 15000 km.

My question to the fellow handling warranty KT in the showroom was:
"Say, I have done only 10000 km at the end of 12 months (2nd service) and I have to take the car for 3rd service a year later (30k service).
So, can I drive all the way till 30000 km mark or do I have to stick to 15000 km intervals between services, meaning my 3rd service can be pushed to 25000 km at the most?"

He answered, 25000 km. (10000 or the present + 15000 which is the hard limit)
So, its the interval they see within the time range from your previous service records.

Last edited by Divya Sharan : 6th June 2016 at 16:43. Reason: Spell check.
Divya Sharan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 17:26   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
This explains why the players who excel in their service such as Maruti, Hyundai, Honda are strong in our market.
It clearly seems to be like saying "You have taken risk by buying Fiat's car - now pay for that big mistake as well as the small variations in Odo!"
Now this is sweeping statement. Of all Fiat has been very lenient with the warranty especially the manufacturer warranty. Fiat gives a part warranty too, for example one replaces a part and if it is found defective or premature failure. Fiat replaces the part free of cost if the replacement was done within 6 months from the date of failure or 10K kms.

There could be more than what meets the eye. Let the OP come out with the dates as well for the services done, it will clear a lot of air and till then such blanket statements can be kept on hold.

To the OP, raise an issue with Fiat, if not for extended warranty you can get a goodwill warranty from them.
nkrishnap is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 17:50   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Now this is sweeping statement. Of all Fiat has been very lenient with the warranty especially the manufacturer warranty.
+1 to the above.

Been very satisfied with the response/handling of all my issues in the 2+ years of ownership. I have actually had far more issues with swift during the warranty period and the car in some instances actually came back worse than when it went in.

1. Had white patches that appeared on the drivers door when exposed to an extended exposure to rainfall. Took it up with KHT, who took it up with FIAT and they repainted the door. It took 2 weeks to get the go ahead, but I was kept in the loop at all times.

2. Central locking started acting up on the drivers door. I called to ask if their was an easy fix that I could do at my end, but they told me to bring it in and replaced the part.

3. KHT was moving their service center when my 2nd service was due and they weren't accepting any cars, so I called and spoke to the service manager who told me not to worry and that they would honor the service schedule even if a few days past the due date. True to his word, KHT called about a week later and did the required service.
Old 8th June 2016, 08:40   #54

Quote:
There could be more than what meets the eye. Let the OP come out with the dates as well for the services done, it will clear a lot of air and till then such blanket statements can be kept on hold.

To the OP, raise an issue with Fiat, if not for extended warranty you can get a goodwill warranty from them.
All services were on schedule and were never late - in-fact the whole crux of the matter here is that we are being blamed for servicing early forget about going in late and raising this hue and cry

The issue was raised with Mr.Mangesh and a link also was sent to him about the on-going discussion.

Good news is that things seem to be going in our favor on good-will now. Here's a copy of the email received by Mr. Mangesh.

Name:  Screen Shot 20160608 at 8.28.48 AM.png
Views: 1478
Size:  96.4 KB

We'll keep you posted on the next course of action. Thank you all.
AviG is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 08:52   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviG View Post
All services were on schedule and were never late - in-fact the whole crux of the matter here is that we are being blamed for servicing early forget about going in late and raising this hue and cry

The issue was raised with Mr.Mangesh and a link also was sent to him about the on-going discussion.

Good news is that things seem to be going in our favor on good-will now. Here's a copy of the email received by Mr. Mangesh.

Attachment 1515399

We'll keep you posted on the next course of action. Thank you all.
There you go. I know cases where they have replaced bottom engine on goodwill warranty and the replacement isn't cheap either.

PS: this is certainly not intended at you. You have at least mentioned abt the resolution provided.

With Fiat its always complain all over the place and then seek to amicably settle it. Once its settled, forget about all the hoopla online and completely ignore to close the loop. By then whole bunch of people who have no experience with the brand will come out all guns blazing and by then more than sufficient damage is done. Unfortunate but true.
nkrishnap is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 09:02   #56
Senior - BHPian

If within 5 years one has to change engine upper or bottom, it is an inditement of manufacturing and product quality.
Old 8th June 2016, 09:10   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the update and good to hear that FIAT has agreed to replace the affected parts free of cost.

Quote:
But please keep in mind that technically your friend went beyond the 15K Kms interval margin and not early. (29675-14082=15593). It is just that he was sticking to 15K, 30K, 45K and not aware about that interval is 15K Kms or 1 year(whichever comes earlier) between servicing.

This is an eye-opener to others too because if the Manufacturer(any)/Third party rejects a warranty claim out-rightly citing this as a reason then the customer really has no other option.

Last edited by arun_josie : 8th June 2016 at 09:31.
arun_josie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 09:28   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
If within 5 years one has to change engine upper or bottom, it is an inditement of manufacturing and product quality.
What I mentioned was about a car that was more than 5 years old. It was a first batch Linea and the repairs happened in December 2015.
Old 8th June 2016, 09:57   #59
Senior - BHPian

It is better not to take extended warranty from Fiat, or expect too much from Fiat's extended warranty programs. Fiat can be repaired by any mechanic because parts are easily available off-the-shelf from wide variety of sources. Why depend upon Fiat.

If I buy a second Fiat, it will be to just enjoy the car and not be bothered too much by the company backing me every step of the way. The feeling I get from the Fiat engine is that it is a very high-pressure engine (small displacement and comparitively disproportional output) and quite sensitive to driving styles and change of fluids.

So if one keeps revving the engine high, (it needs to pull all that weight after all) and race after every red light, and then delay change in fluids. It will be detrimental to overall health and longevity of the engine.

This is what I don't like about judicial activism and surprising regulatory activism on <2000cc engines because those can give out the same power that the 1.3 mjd engine can with minimum stress on internals.
Old 8th June 2016, 10:35   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Good news is that things seem to be going in our favor on good-will now.
Good to know that the company has stepped in to do the right thing.

This also exposes the major issue with extended warranty programs- they are nothing but insurance policies offered by a tie up between the manufacturer and the insurance company to ideally benefit all three parties involved including the customer. But the service rendered during extended warranty claims are only as good as the insurance company providing the extended warranty. As in the case of FIAT, clearly they seem to struggling here (Going by another member post about the ongoing legal case against the insurer) and the company is extending support from their end to compensate for it.

Doesn't justify the trauma the owner is subjected to, hearing the rejection of a warranty claim for such reasons though!

PS- On a side note, kindly request your friend not to wait for the 15k service interval. I'm very well aware FIAT recommends it. But if you see the air filter and even the engine oil condition - 15k kms between service intervals is just too much of a stretch for Indian conditions!

Quote:
With Fiat its always complain all over the place and then seek to amicably settle it. Once its settled, forget about all the hoopla online and completely ignore to close the loop.
Passion is higher with all things FIAT. But it should be good that the thread has been highlighting as the customer has been benefited and atleast more members are aware.

You might be surprised that the issue has occurred across few other brands as well. Documented here in team bhp, but mostly in some other threads. Never got the attention it deserved and customers had to pay through their nose.

Some examples below-

Skoda rejects a/c warranty for late 7500kms and second service (10k) intervals, for a car having issue at 53k kms-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2031713

Honda rejects warranty due to service interval being late, although running is less-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3302873

Honda rejects ignition coil warranty for missing service interval due to low running-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...ml#post3249045

Honda rejects warranty for common manufacturing defect citing missed service interval.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...what-do-2.html

True such separate threads do give rise to some brand bashing opportunities, but all is well that ends well for the customer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Sucks to hear of this.
True. Probably a warning worth highlighting in our article?
http://www.team-bhp.com/advice/exten...ties-yes-or-no

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 8th June 2016 at 10:40.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks