Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2016, 13:24   #1
BHPian

BMW dealer wants Rs. 42,000 for temporary registration - Is it mandatory?

I am looking to purchase BMW X1 at Coimbatore. Coimbatore dealership's quote includes Rs.42,000 for temporary registration and Rs.4,66,473 for permanent registration. When I questioned about the need for temporary registration, I was told that temporary registration is needed for BMW cars as my city (Coimbatore) doesn't have BMW point of billing. So, the car is going to be billed at Chennai and moved to Coimbatore under temporary registration. Am I being taken for a ride here?
Old 8th July 2016, 13:38   #2
BHPian

re: BMW dealer wants Rs. 42,000 for temporary registration - Is it mandatory?

Last month, same was told by VW dealer from Salem as well, when i wanted the car to be registered in Hosur. Since salem is billing point, they need to do temp. registration in salem first, drive to hosur and then do permanent registration with in 30 days.
smnrock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 14:04   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

In that case why don't you just buy the car from Chennai itself? It still will have the same state registration. Or is that not allowed?

Also I am told that its compulsory to get the vehicle temporarily registered in Kolkata before the permanent number can be given. Can anyone confirm this?
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 14:41   #4
BHPian

I cannot get it registered in Chennai as I don't have a proof of residence there.
Old 8th July 2016, 15:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

You can buy the car anywhere in the state, then take the papers to the RTO where you wish to register the vehicle and get the permanent registration done. Then take the receipt with the permanent registration number and drive out the car from the showroom with permanent registration. Temporary registration is only required if you want to drive the car before permanent registration. Usually between states. BMW's sold to customers in Karwar and Sawantwadi by the Goa dealer are usually taken out with Temporary registration.
pedrolourenco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 15:26   #6
BHPian

My 2 cents.

Temporary registration is issued to any new vehicle to transport it from the place of Purchase (Dealer Showroom) to the place of Registration (RTO). Basically rule is that for a vehicle to be on road, it should be registered.

we usually do our Temporary registration first and then do permanent registration within the month. Is there any place where they do not do temporary registration and directly do permanent registration? I doubt there is. Even if you were a resident of Chennai, you would still need to do a temp registration is what I feel.

Someone correct me If I am wrong.
RaghuVis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 15:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
Is there any place where they do not do temporary registration and directly do permanent registration? I doubt there is.
In Delhi, your car gets permanent registration number before you take it out from Showroom; unless the car is meant to be registered in another state.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 15:36   #8
BHPian

I don't remember paying for temp registration for my earlier purchases from Maruti and Ford. I may be wrong though
Old 8th July 2016, 15:39   #9
BHPian

Temp registration is absolutely compulsory even if the car is being transported from the warehouse/showroom to the RTO for permanent registration.

Let me share my experience here.
I bought a Vento TSI recently from Pune. I wanted to get it registered from Kolhapur RTO (It was turning out to be atleast 50k cheaper as the Pune has got LBT and Kolhapur does not).
The car had to be first temp registered at Pune RTO, then driven to Kolhapur on temp number and registered there.

Why not buy directly from Kolhapur, one may ask.
The reason is, in that case, I would have had to travel for PDI, to take delivery, etc. and drive it back to Pune.

Whereas, in the aforementioned case, I had an agreement with the SA beforehand that registration of the car, including driving it to Kolhapur, fuel costs, driver costs, etc. would be his headache. Any major damage to the car and I would ask for a fresh new car. Minor scratches, dents, if happens, then it would be fixed free of cost by the dealer.

So, all in all, the car was first temp registered in Pune and the RTO taxes were also paid at Pune RTO. The driver carried this receipt and presented it to Kolhapur RTO officer.

Hope it helps.

Thanks
Mitz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 15:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is there any place where they do not do temporary registration and directly do permanent registration? I doubt there is. Even if you were a resident of Chennai, you would still need to do a temp registration is what I feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
In Delhi, your car gets permanent registration number before you take it out from Showroom; unless the car is meant to be registered in another state.
Same in Goa. I have never seen a temporary registration unless the vehicle is being taken to a place out of state where there is no dealer (like Karwar or Sawantwadi) or the car is bought from another state as there is no dealer in the state (ex. Jaguar, Land Rover, Volvo, Porche).
pedrolourenco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 15:45   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
I don't remember paying for temp registration for my earlier purchases from Maruti and Ford. I may be wrong though
Same here. Last year when I was about to buy a Storme from Delhi, the dealer billed me only the registration charges for Gurgaon and nothing for temp registrtion that he would have got from Delhi. The temporary registration for Tatas, Marutis etc must be very less for dealers to ask money for.
Old 8th July 2016, 15:59   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
You can buy the car anywhere in the state, then take the papers to the RTO where you wish to register the vehicle and get the permanent registration done. Then take the receipt with the permanent registration number and drive out the car from the showroom with permanent registration. Temporary registration is only required if you want to drive the car before permanent registration. Usually between states. BMW's sold to customers in Karwar and Sawantwadi by the Goa dealer are usually taken out with Temporary registration.
Sorry can't be done, firstly you can purchase a car from anywhere that is correct but as per procedure you have to produce the car for inspection at RTO for temp or permanent registration. No RTO will do the permanent registration only based on temp papers without physical production of car. Moreover to get a car registered under a particular RTO you have to give proof of residence within the area it serves. So your suggestion will not work.
PS: There are RTOs in the country which circumvent all these procedures but their authenticity I will not comment.

Quote:
My 2 cents.

Temporary registration is issued to any new vehicle to transport it from the place of Purchase (Dealer Showroom) to the place of Registration (RTO). Basically rule is that for a vehicle to be on road, it should be registered.

we usually do our Temporary registration first and then do permanent registration within the month. Is there any place where they do not do temporary registration and directly do permanent registration? I doubt there is. Even if you were a resident of Chennai, you would still need to do a temp registration is what I feel.

Sorry, That is not the case. @ Mitz The dealers have a pool of temp numbers allotted to them to move the vehicles from yard to the showroom or showroom to the nearest RTO under own power( self propelled). You do not require a temp regn if the place of purchase and registering RTO is located in same city. If for any reason the sale city and registration city are different then a temp regn is mandatory as was your case Mitz. If a dealer is forcing you to do temp regn for the same city regn then he is fleecing you.

Last edited by RajeVenu : 8th July 2016 at 16:12.
RajeVenu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 16:13   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
I am looking to purchase BMW X1 at Coimbatore. Coimbatore dealership's quote includes Rs.42,000 for temporary registration and Rs.4,66,473 for permanent registration. When I questioned about the need for temporary registration, I was told that temporary registration is needed for BMW cars as my city (Coimbatore) doesn't have BMW point of billing. So, the car is going to be billed at Chennai and moved to Coimbatore under temporary registration. Am I being taken for a ride here?
Check this Tamil Nadu RTO link for the fees details, http://www.tn.gov.in/sta/eng%20cc/rc1.html

Temporary Registration of Motor Vehicles:

What is the amount of Fees payable?

(i) 2% of Life Time Tax
(ii) Rs.40/- + Service charges Rs.100/- with vehicle tax
arun_josie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 16:24   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
You can buy the car anywhere in the state, then take the papers to the RTO where you wish to register the vehicle and get the permanent registration done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
I thought inspection by RTO was mandatory for permanent registration. How will they verify if the engine/chassis numbers match what is given in the papers without seeing the vehicle in person?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeVenu View Post
as per procedure you have to produce the car for inspection at RTO for temp or permanent registration.
Didn't see your quote. Agree with you, except you don't need inspection for temp registration. You need a registration to drive in public roads. The purpose of temp itself is to take it to RTO for permanent registration. So, no inspection there.

Last edited by vjjustin : 8th July 2016 at 16:30.
Old 8th July 2016, 16:26   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeVenu View Post
If a dealer is forcing you to do temp regn for the same city regn then he is fleecing you.
Of course. Temp registration is not the customer's lookout anyway. Whatever the case may be, the dealer cannot ask the customer to pay for it.

Thanks
Mitz is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks