Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2017, 13:45   #1
Oxy
BHPian

Dealer offers to service my car at home - should I bite?

I had purchased a Baleno Alpha CVT last month and today I got a call from the dealer who informed me that my car is due for it's first service. On asking where their service centre is, they replied Hebbal. They offered free pick up and drop service of the vehicle.

As I am put up in Kadugodi, I politely told them that Hebbal would be too far a distance to take my car for servicing, and hence I would prefer to get it done at an authorized service centre closer to my home. Also, I let them know that since the car is an Automatic, I would not like to avail the free pick up and drop service too as I don't trust their attendants on how they would handle my vehicle.

They then offered to send across a few technicians right at my doorstep and get the car serviced in front of my eyes! I don't know since when have dealers started this practice but this came as a surprise to me.

So has anybody experienced vehicle servicing at home? Is it worth it or should I just drive down to my nearest authorized service centre?
Oxy is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 14:18   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Dealer offers to service my car at home - should I bite?

The first free service is generally just a check of all the fluid levels, body check (where they address any friction in door hinge etc.) and a car wash. Going by the recent thread on this topic, there's a chance dealers don't even open the hood to check

For this service, if they offer a free home visit, all you miss out on is a car wash. You'll save yourself a lot of trouble if they come over.
libranof1987 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 14:54   #3
BHPian

re: Dealer offers to service my car at home - should I bite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
So has anybody experienced vehicle servicing at home?
There is indeed.

Remember seeing it in one of the threads where one of our own BHPians had availed the home service and it was over in an hour. Searching for the post in the Baleno Official Review and the Baleno Alpha CVT thread. Will PM if I come across that.

THere is nothing much they do in the first service though. Just show the car to them and ask them to complete their "checklist" and drive away.
hamster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 09:50   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Dealer offers to service my car at home - should I bite?

Quote:
They then offered to send across a few technicians right at my doorstep and get the car serviced in front of my eyes!
Go for it - BHPians would give their right arm for such convenience. Service down your house & in your supervision. This is totally doable for small & basic services, but not the major ones.

Do click pictures and share the experience with us.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 10:08   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

I got my WagonR serviced at my home, in Bhubaneswar, back in 2013. It was a major service involving - engine and transmission oil change, brake cleaning and bleeding, coolant drain and replace, air filter cleaning and washing of the car. Key points:
  • They need a lot of open space, enough to park 2 cars back to back and move around.
  • They got a Versa with all their equipment loaded in it. This car had to be parked near my car. We had ample space so never faced any issue.
  • Quality of work was very good. Me and dad got to see the whole process.
  • Inform them which your is due so that they bring all the necessary spares/consumables accordingly.
  • I am not sure but probably they charged 300-400 bucks extra (back in 2013) for service at home which, I feel, is quite reasonable considering the time and efforts that you saving while witnessing the whole process.
  • They did a minor top wash with pressurized water from a small tank (they had in their car) and little shampoo. While this was fine but I liked the car to be raised and cleaned from every nook and corner. My past experience shows most MASS do a top wash only and they don't have ramps/lifts to raise the car for washing. Not a big deal, as my FNG does a wonderful job for 350 bucks.
    However, they did use a host of cleaning liquids to clean and polish the interiors.
  • The whole thing was completed in roughly 2 hours or less.

Last edited by ashis89 : 17th November 2017 at 10:13. Reason: Self check
ashis89 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 19th November 2017, 00:29   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I got my WagonR serviced at my home, in Bhubaneswar, back in 2013. [/list]
I had added some snaps of this service on my ownership review thread. One correction, this service was performed in Nov '14.
You can refer: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3686424

Last edited by ashis89 : 19th November 2017 at 00:31.
ashis89 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th November 2017, 00:41   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So has anybody experienced vehicle servicing at home? Is it worth it or should I just drive down to my nearest authorized service centre?
Yes it's worth it, apart from the quality of washing, which IMO isn't a big deal. For regular service, it's something which even I'd prefer. They come in a Van, usually the Eeco with all the required tools and spares.

Dealer offers to service my car at home - should I bite?-img_20151121_103151.jpg

Dealer offers to service my car at home - should I bite?-img_20151121_103142.jpg

Dealer offers to service my car at home - should I bite?-img_20151121_103111.jpg

Dealer offers to service my car at home - should I bite?-img_20151121_120034.jpg

Dealer offers to service my car at home - should I bite?-img_20151121_120037.jpg

Vans meant to service NEXA cars look a bit different.

Dealer offers to service my car at home - should I bite?-img_5053.jpg

Pic credits: Respective BHPians.

We have a thread running on that topic: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-doorstep.html

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 20th November 2017, 15:51   #8
BHPian

Do you want to get the underbody checked? If yes you need to take it to the dealership and stay with the car. If you are short of time its better to get them to come.
At least that way you would know if they do anything at all. Since you have them at your disposal you can instruct them to check nuts bolts, drive shaft dust boot condition, tyre condition on the inside and suspension with a torch. Just to see if there is something hanging around or if there are any signs of premature oil leak/boot wear. Ideally there would not be any issue for a new car but these checks barely take any time so it is worth doing.

PS: I prefer taking my car to the service center to get a good long first hand view of the under body with a phone torch. I am a bit paranoid

Last edited by rajathv8 : 20th November 2017 at 15:54.
Old 21st November 2017, 15:08   #9
psn
BHPian

I am not sure about Maruti service being done at home, but a while ago Skoda had started this service, and we had got it done for our Fabia. Like GTO said, we will give our right arm for such a service. However,

1. During the service they changed oil and air filter, but as they didn't have proper lift, under body check, break pads inspection could not be carried out.
2. Also, understandably as the space and infrastructure that our homes provide are not very conducive for such a work, I was doubting the work, the installations, that were done. This was an uncalled for doubt, as after the service the car ran just fine.
3. No washing, only dry cloth wiping of dust.
4. Newly serviced car has a different feel, that feel was missing after this service.

I, personally will still prefer going to a service station and making friends with SM and staff if possible for future issues where we might need to take their help.
Old 21st November 2017, 16:03   #10
BHPian

I heard about this service from a friend around 3-4 years back. He had bought an Alto K10, and the first service was done at his place. Since it was nothing more than a mere checkup, things were fine. But as a part of their malpractice, the technicians were pushing him to get A/C serviced, citing reasons such as - nowadays cars have fresh air circulation, so it's mandatory. But he still didn't get it done.

Not sure if any other manufacturer other than Maruti provides this kind of service.

As for me, I'll prefer taking my car to a service center and getting it checked. Reason - there have been instances when they need to consult a senior or more experienced technician to sort out an issue or may need a lift to get under the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
PS: I prefer taking my car to the service center to get a good long first hand view of the under body with a phone torch. I am a bit paranoid
Same as me. I don't even give my car to valet parking at weddings. The first and last time I did, they were sitting in the car with the A/C at full. Noticed that after I got my car back. After that, I politely refuse them. Same with service centers. As soon as they know that the customer is not around, they start abusing the car.
Old 21st November 2017, 17:38   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Not only 1st free service, but 2nd and 3rd service can also be done at home. This initiative is standard across all Maruti authorized service centers. Also they will give you a under body wash coupon if you take service at home facility, since its difficult to do it without proper lift.
Old 21st November 2017, 19:42   #12
BHPian

Tata Mobile Service Van

This seems to be a practice by most of the companies which enjoy a larger market share.

In Apr'17 had come across below mobile service van from Tata near Dadar Station - Swami Narayan temple (where Mumbai-Nashik cabs are generally parked), which carried spares, consumables & necessary tools to service Indicas, Indigos & Manza. These guys were sent to particular area based on 5-6 pre-scheduled appointments and they would come in the morning @ around 9am and get done by post lunch/early afternoon.

Driver with 2 service folks to carry out basic service. Have seen the van a few more times post that, mostly servicing the cabs.

Dealer offers to service my car at home - should I bite?-tata-mobile-service-1.jpg

For some reason below picture got rotated, seemed fine when I tried uploading the 1st as well as 2nd time.

Dealer offers to service my car at home - should I bite?-tata-mobile-service-2.jpg

Dealer offers to service my car at home - should I bite?-tata-mobile-service-3.jpg

Dealer offers to service my car at home - should I bite?-tata-mobile-service-4.jpg

Last edited by mantrig : 21st November 2017 at 19:46. Reason: Issues with image orientation
mantrig is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 21:37   #13
BHPian

Quote:
I had purchased a Baleno Alpha CVT last month and today I got a call from the dealer who informed me that my car is due for it's first service. On asking where their service centre is, they replied Hebbal. They offered free pick up and drop service of the vehicle.

As I am put up in Kadugodi, I politely told them that Hebbal would be too far a distance to take my car for servicing, and hence I would prefer to get it done at an authorized service centre closer to my home. Also, I let them know that since the car is an Automatic, I would not like to avail the free pick up and drop service too as I don't trust their attendants on how they would handle my vehicle.

They then offered to send across a few technicians right at my doorstep and get the car serviced in front of my eyes! I don't know since when have dealers started this practice but this came as a surprise to me.

I have opted for Home Service for my S-Cross, my car is due for 2nd service. I had a very bad experience with my first service when I opted for Home Pick-up and drop. The service center people gave my car with some scratches on the bonnet. So considering that, when I was booking my car's second service appointment through Nexa website, I have opted for Home service Option. Let's see how this goes for this time. Actually its scheduled on 22nd November, I will give my update on that.
pkothak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 08:56   #14
BHPian

I personally would surely bite the bullet and the reason being, I can see the car being serviced in front of me. With many threads on the forum about us not being able to see the car (the famous thread on Mandovi Motors is a great example) when being serviced, if my dealer offers me this I would say that they are way better than those asking me to come to their service center for a service where I do not even know if what all work is actually done.

I think most work can be done outside the service center without needing specialized tools (ofcourse there are exceptions). If washing is something they are not really good at, you can ask them to skip it and get a wash done outside.
Old 24th November 2017, 20:44   #15
BHPian

Hi oxy !!

This is not something new at all. I remember when Ford entered the Indian Market, their vehicles were sold by the Kolkata dealer to owners in Assam and in the 7 sisters region. The Service Team of the dealership used to travel all the way to give door step service to the customers to whom they had sold the vehicles at no additional cost.

In the current generation the concept of Workshop on Wheels has come to the forefront where certain dealerships (larger ones) are offering this value added service to their customers in order to generate more business and widespread their network.

In current days, the customer is the winner anyways. Just enjoy the pampering as long as you get it !!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks