Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2007, 18:30   #1
BHPian

Some problem with Car Insurance ...

Hello Team bhpians,

I own a Maruti Suzuki Baleno , 2006 model , which i took delivery on 13th October 2006 . The car was supposed to be delivered on 3rd october and they were postponin the dates saying no car is coming from factory and atlast we said we are gonna cancel the booking if we are no gettin it soon..And then took delivery on 13th october.The car was inspected for any dents in the body and underbody to ensure tht the car we got was fresh one.

Then on 23rd october ,as we were on our way to cochin ,a tipper lorry horribly scratched the car on right and broke the electric door mirror at a traffic junction.The rough estimates for the work was above 13k and so we decided to take a claim.The car was then given to a nearby maruti service centre (which didnt belonged to the dealers from where we bought the car) .The bill amount for the repair work was very small around 200 rs or so and was the charge for washing and interior polishing.
After that incident the car is running fine till date.

And then yesterday i received a letter from the insurance company which am posting here...

Letter

Dear Sir,

At the outset we thank you for choosing Maruti Insurance.The zero tension policy that offers you best value for your money.

As per our record , it has been obseved that you have taken two claims underr above mentioned Maruti insurance policy.(Date of accidents - 2nd July & 25th October 2006)

The above has serious implications in your insurance risk profile .Please note that in view of adverse claim experience .your insurance policy may be cancelled as per Condition No 5 of the contract.Also Insurance Companies may decline the acceptance of any further proposals for insuring your car in future.

In forthcoming De-tariffing regime multiple claims on a single policy has wide implications and the premium rate for customers making multiple claims will be substantially high.We suggest you shoukd be careful about the same in future.

Trust that such a situation will not arise and you will do the needful to ensure no further claims on above mentioned policy in future.

We thank you for your patronage and assure you for the best of our services at all times.

Yours truly,
Anil Tewari
Divisional Manager
National Insurance Company Limited

Now as you may note,the letter says the car has been claimed twice and that too ,1 claim was made around 3 months before taking the delivery of the car.
I just cannot understand whether this is just a mistake at the side of the insurance company or whrther the car dealers have delivered us an old stock crashed car or the service centre who carried the repair work have cheated us by taking multiple claims on the car???
But the car as of now is running normally....

Really am confused over this ,and as am not much literate in these insurance matters i request fellow bhpians to help me out in this case..

Also can i get to know of the claim money and extent of damage to the car during the first claim???also how can one check the manufacturrin date of a car???

Last edited by hari_rama : 25th January 2007 at 18:32.
Old 25th January 2007, 23:23   #2
BHPian

hey comeon fellow bhpians....help me out with this...... :( :?
Old 26th January 2007, 00:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

The manufacturing date is stamped on the chassis/bodyshell. Another Baleno owner or the User's manual would be able to specify the exact location.

As for the Insurance company get in touch with them on the number's mentioned in their correspondence & tell them that their claim is false & that you only bought the car in October. Take this upto the highest possible officer alongwith the letter they sent you to make sure they correct your records or give you the records of the car prior to your ownership (Which I would doubt is the case)

99% chances are there's a mistake due to which you got the letter. Does the letter clearly mention the car make, mode, registeration number, owner's name & address etc.?
Old 26th January 2007, 00:38   #4
Senior - BHPian

Ishan posted most of what I wanted to say so will not repost that all over again.

One thing is for sure they cannot sell you a second hand car since there is the issue of registration which you would have noticed in the RC book if it were so.

Dealers also should be having some kind of an insurance on the cars,but even if the dealer did claim insurance for anything that should not be reflected on your insurance policy.I maybe wrong but I think you enter into the picture with regards to insurance only from the date mentioned on your insurance papers.
Old 26th January 2007, 01:09   #5
BHPian

Thanks guys for the reply....

iraghava - i have opened up the bonnet and a sticker on engine says 29/october 2006........maybe thts the manufacturing date.....if yes thn i think am safe hehe......but the letter from insurance people don state model name or car manufacturer.......it does have the car engine number and chassis number......

rahul_intlad - "I think you enter into the picture with regards to insurance only from the date mentioned on your insurance papers." thanks for this bit of info.....hope this one is an error on insurance company....

Really thank u guys for helping out.......here in Kerala today was a harthaal on account of the "Insurance hike issue " and so couldn enquire about my insurance issue with the dealers.....ur replies really helped me out.....
Old 26th January 2007, 05:01   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hari_rama View Post

iraghava - i have opened up the bonnet and a sticker on engine says 29/october 2006........maybe thts the manufacturing date.....if yes thn i think am safe hehe......but the letter from insurance people don state model name or car manufacturer.......it does have the car engine number and chassis number......
Well considering that you bought the car on the 13th, how can it be manufactured 16 days after you got it?

I would recommend checking the user's manual to see where the manufacturing date is stamped & checking it out. Also on monday call up the insurance company or the delaer to check out what the second claim is all about & clear out the issue to make sure you face no problems regarding the same in the future.

Also did you check whether the Engine/Chassis numbers in the Insurance company letter match with those of your car?

Last edited by iraghava : 26th January 2007 at 05:17.
Old 26th January 2007, 08:50   #7

Dont your insurance paper have a insurance start and end date. Normally it is a few days before taking delivery?. Just done prior registration.
Also if it is a clerical error make sure you get a letter correcting this.
If something more serious do report to Maruti. I have noticed the dealers are very jumpy about complaints.
Old 26th January 2007, 10:55   #8
BHPian

oh man my mistake....it read 29th september......hehe sorry guys....
the letter have the same chassis number and the engine number as in manual and inside the bonnet......jus tht the letter doesn mention the car model and company....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks