Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2020, 14:41   #31
BHPian

Re: How hard is it to buy a Tata Tiago?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps_abhijith View Post
Thanks everyone for the kind responses, I see my feeling echoing in most posts. So, today so far has been quite eventful. Most of it was a surprise for me, as well as left me amazed on the reach of this forum. I posted this here yesterday night and went to sleep. Woke up today morning and I had not even checked the responses on this post. I will summarize the events below. Please note I am just describing the incidents and conversations as they happened................Will keep this post updated on the end results of all of this.

Good to know they have turned around. Manufacturers are lurking in the forum for sure .Don't be disheartened by the dealers. Tiago offers the best safety for the segment and is a fun little hatchback. My Flame Red XZA+ was delivered on March 14th. I am loving it more each day I take it out to drive. Good luck and hoping to see your Tiago soon in this very thread itself.
janakiram_m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 14:52   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaptChatterjee View Post
Their practice of handwritten sheet of price break-up is out of place in this day and age. Experienced the same in each of those purchases. How much would it cost to make an excel sheet and provide a printout?
This needs overhaul at a bigger level. The paper has "mandatory accessories", "expensive insurance" and then a discount at the end "just for you. What I want is a way to make my quote online where I can pick from many insurance vendors, accessories etc. But it's difficult to get conventional dealers to move to a more transparent process. With Covid, we're seeing companies stepping up to help people buy online. I hope it becomes a norm soon to buy a car online, buy an insurance of your choice separately and get the car registered.
Old 10th June 2020, 14:58   #33
BHPian

Don’t know what’s going on with Tata sales division. Finally they have some great cars to sell and the fools are bungling it up. Customers today are spoilt for choice and getting a poor experience from the dealership may change many purchase decisions.
I had rented space to Concorde motors for a workshop a little over a year ago. They spent a good amount on getting the workshop done up. Suddenly, about four months ago they informed me that they will be winding up operations. All the Investment down the drain. Why so much confusion? It’s really not that difficult to sell if you have great products. Wake up Tata or you’ll miss the bus again!
manishk123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 15:02   #34
BHPian

I love Team-BHP for this! Within a span of 24 hours, the brand reached out after seeing your post. I can't think of another portal/forum that empowers customers like this in India!

I apologize for going off topic, but feel this is important.

Now that you're ready to make the purchase, watch out for Logistical/Handling charges in your quote. TATA dealers are notorious for this (I speak from personal experience). These charges have long been illegal in India and should not be in your quote/invoice.

My exp. was as recent as July 2019, when I went to a TATA dealer to help my brother finalize a Tiago AMT, in Bangalore. I was shocked to see the charges in the quote but my brother was unaware. I brought it to the notice of the Sales Rep. who tried to convince me this was standard business practice. I whipped out Google and showed him the dozens of articles (believe there's one on Team-BHP too). He went to the manager and got it waived off in a matter of minutes w/o any resistance (proving that they do it knowing very well it's illegal). I was pissed off about the whole issue and asked my brother to cancel the car. But my brother being smarter than I am, made the same points GTO made about picking the car you love. So, he finally got the car and is very happy with it to date.

So, just keep an eye out. Hope this helps. Happy driving!
foxworkz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 15:51   #35
BHPian

I really think Tata should create the equivalent of what Maruti has done with Nexa, I've been to both Arena and Nexa extensively in the last 6 months, and believe me there is a world of difference. Tata should seriously consider this for cars like the Harrier and Altroz, espeically with people spending 2 million rupees on a "premium product".

I dont blame you one bit - its been rightly said that the service you get at the time of buying a product is about as good as it will ever be.

Edit : i just recalled my experience when i was window shopping for the nexon earlier this year, the TD vehicle had a faulty sun roof curtain, which wouldn't open beyond 4-5 inches. The brutally honest SA tried his best to force it open and eventually sighed and said "Sir Tata hai" so when the SA says that, you know you're in for one hell of a ride !

Last edited by armaan_singh : 10th June 2020 at 15:56.
armaan_singh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 16:23   #36
BHPian

I have attached a screenshot of a whatsapp conversation with a sales guy of Tata Worli. I've been asking them to send a car home so that my parents can sit in it and see for themselves if they find it comfortable. There hasn't been any response. To be specific, this has been the problem with this particular showroom and the other showroom in Andheri has been prompt in atleast replying.
Attached Thumbnails
How hard is it to buy a Tata Tiago?-img_20200610_161803.jpg  

Dieselritzer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 20:59   #37
BHPian

Quote:
It helps to know that tata is actively looking into the digital space for customer feedback and is willing to listen. Hope this continues and helps to improve the customer experience. To summarize, despite my experience so far, I am still proceeding to purchase the car.
Glad to know that you got positive response eventually and happy to see Tata is watching for customer feedback. It gives me more courage, as a 'to be Nexon' owner.

I got some positive news today for my long standing quest to buy a car. Finally got the VIN of the Nexon that is allocated to me. Thanks to team-bhp VIN check thread, i could validate that it is May manufactured car.

However, it seems it is still stuck at the factory yard and facing delays in transportation. So the dealer's promised date of 15th Jun delivery is going to be missed. But i am not upset though, instead very happy that finally things are picking up momentum. In fact, showroom manager personally called me to convey the good news of my car being allocated, may be they are also feeling a bit of guilt for the too much delay in my case. Hopefully he will ensure that my rest of the buying process is smooth and i will get the car in my hand this month.

As quoted by GTO and many others Tata car owners, ultimately its the car that we like and meeting our buying criteria. Nexon some how prevailed, despite some competition in between from Seltos in between, all through the 10+ months of buying process that i am going through

Hopefully, many positive/acceptable experiences of A.S.S. keeping my spirits up and hoping that TATA ensures the negative experiences shared would not be repeated to any one (including my case).
Old 10th June 2020, 21:16   #38
BHPian

I can completely resonate with your feelings Abhijith. This is one of the few reasons why TATA is not selling good cars in good numbers. Ofcourse, we need to also credit them for goofing up 'that' 10% in the the car development / release process (classic case= Altroz Petrol engine or the Harrier niggles )
Having said that, a sales experience goes a long way in making a good impression about the company. I simply like the follow ups done by Hyundai and lately Maruti Suzuki as well. I had test driven the Brezza about a year ago, and their still calling me to check if I/m still interested.
I had a similar experience when I was looking for a test drive of the Altroz. No response to calls / WhatsApp. Even by chance if I managed to get through, the response was lacklustre. You won't believe, it took me almost 4 weeks just to get a Test drive of the Altroz!! And all this when the car was readily available with them.
Even when I had visited the showroom post the launch, the sales staff didn't even bother to come and demonstrate the car to me. There were nearly 7-8 of them just sitting on their seats and chatting with each other. Imagine!
Nevertheless, i didn't bother to go ahead with the Altroz after the test drive; thanks to it's supreme 1.2 litre NA Petrol engine.
I really doubt that TATA will ever manage to come even remotely close to Hyundai / Maruti in terms of sales / service experience. They still have a really long way to go, and I really doubt their working in the right direction.

Last edited by bblost : 10th June 2020 at 21:20. Reason: removed the third smiley.
ashvek3141 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 22:07   #39
BHPian

Quote:

It hurts knowing that tata is not making huge profits with there cars as of now, still it seems they are not doing much to exploit the huge potential of their cars. The new ads in newspapers are cool, but more than that what is being done to improve customer experience? How many potential buyers would have went for other options with similar experiences? I really hope many more people get the chance to enjoy these beautiful machines...
Hi Abhijith,

Did you try going through Perks At Work for Tata Employees ?

Being a Tata Group Employee, I have used it in the past, and they are pretty responsive and quick.

Agreed that their dealerships are not the best in customer service and support considering the leaps and bounds they have come in the cars that Tata makes.

Hope this info is useful to you
nikhilarni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 22:14   #40
BRV
BHPian

I was of the opinion that Tata dealers are changing (not all are). They only respond to the escalations. The moment you escalate it through their feedback system, we will receive so many calls to resolve the issue and to share positive feedback. Before escalating whatever the calls we make to them we get all kinds of excuses and need multiple followups.

Long post alert: My experience buying Tiago

Had been through the same two years back when I was purchasing Tiago.

Did all my research and decided to buy Tiago. Went to showroom asked for a test ride. They were supposed to bring the car home for a test ride around 5.30 pm however postponed to the next day as the car was not available. Later received a call at 9.00 pm and the car was at home around 9.15 pm for a test ride. The problem started here. I have asked for a diesel car but they sent a petrol car

When it was time to book and sort the finance, before payment I requested the sales gentleman to check and confirm if the colour and model I asked for is available or not. After confirmation booked it, loan processed and agreed for delivery a week later. Loan approved after three days. Immediately called them and asked for VIN and status of the car which is in transit.

SA - Sir, the colour you have asked for "Y" is not available and we have "X" colour (which I declined earlier). If you still want the same colour it will be delayed by 10 days.
Me - Am fine with the delay. Please confirm the VIN
SA - Sir, the offers we provided cannot be given for the car "Y". If you go for "X" colour car we can give the offers and delivery as agreed earlier

Understood that he is trying to push the car which I don't want it. Requested again, still, they were not honouring the earlier commitment (which I had over chat and email, I sent the emails to them after we booked in order to have it documented). This went on for two days. Finally, I have decided to cancel the booking. Sent an email for cancellation of the booking and to refund my booking amount. Received acknowledgement on cancellation and refund to be completed in 5 days.

After a week still not receiving the refund, called them and escalated to the manager. Still not received a convincing response from both.

It was Friday evening, dejected, logged into Tata site and sent the feedback with all the details. Saturday morning received a call directly from Tata asking for more details. Was surprised to get a call so far from Tata (this shows that dealerships/salespeople are the culprits). The call ended on a positive note stating that they will call back in 15 Min.

After 10 min received a call from the dealership manager stating that the Car colour which I have asked for is available with all the offers which were committed and can be delivered in a week. He requested me to visit the showroom and pay the balance amount.

Knowing him and his tactics, mentioned him that the loan is sanctioned and will be paying the balance once I see the car in person at showroom or yard. After a week went to the showroom for PDI (downloaded from Team-BHP, the manager was shocked to see the details of PDI and was enquiring from where did I get this). Paid the balance amount and agreed for delivery the next day.

Delivery was smooth without any hassles and a typical key handover (which I didn't like and said no to it). When its time for me to take the car out, Manager came and asked me to share good feedback after all this hassle . I had one statement for him, "I will definitely give Honest Feedback".

The saga didn't there. Within 10 days car was ready for 1 service with ABS indicator on continuously. Gave the car for service and mentioned about the ABS indicator. They checked and confirmed that ABS Sensor is gone and needs replacing under warranty. However, they don't have stock and will come in a couple of days, once they receive stock they will call me for replacement

Again, I called them on the third day, received a standard response that its delayed and will take two more days. Followed with them for a week and still the same response - Sir, it will come it 2 days and I will call you. My patience ran out and I was back on Tata's feedback website.

Next day received a call from SA stating that the part is available and I can visit the service centre for replacement. Went to the service centre, replaced the part immediately.

PS: The showroom folks and SAs remember me for the escalations. Whenever I give the car for service, they always mention "If I had any issues with the car after service please call SA, it will be resolved immediately, not to escalate and give good feedback". I respond back with the same statement "I will definitely give Honest Feedback"

As GTO and other members mentioned if we like that car go for it and not to worry about the dealers.
BRV is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 22:24   #41
BHPian

The question I am interested in is, why is the service experience so poor?

Are their sales staff paid less? Less incentives and more fixed salary component? All things equal the avg Tata salesman should be just as hungry for business as a Hyundai or Kia or MG or Maruti etc.

The second question is, why doesn't Tata invest in creating swanky showrooms? In the Ambattur area in Chennai you have this street with 10 odd OEM dealerships. Kia, Merc, Hyundai, Maruti, Nissan, Tata and 4-5 2 wheeler ones.

Of the car showrooms, the stand out is Kia, massive, airy well lit, swanky is not the word to define it. The next would be Merc, then Maruti and Hyundai. Finally you get Tata and at the bottom Nissan.

Yes Nissan is a near bankrupt brand in India but Tata has deep coffers, sprucing up this particular showroom might cost a crore which Tata could fund in some profit share model or charge low interest rates. Yet the showroom looks 3rd world in comparison to the 1st world of Kia and Merc.
Stribog is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 02:40   #42
BHPian

I have had a similar or even bad experience with TATA Dealership. Me and my brother have been driving automatics since last 4-5 years. An MT is a strict no for me. And my brother also prefers automatic. Still when Harrier was launched my brother was in the market for a second car. We went to three different TATA showrooms. The sales person at first dealership asked for a booking amount straight away without providing a test drive. When asked about one his response was like he is doing me a favour by even offering to book the car. He was like the car will create a History like fortuner did and nobody asks for a test drive of a fortuner. There was one car shared between three dealers. The second one gave us a test drive of 100 meters and when I said it’s not enough he said there are hundreds of people waiting for test drive and they can’t have everyone drive the car for a km or two. They had offered us to drive the car within the premises and The third dealer was no different. No wonder the car doomed. It was a brilliant product only if they understood that it’s not always the product which will get you customers. No need to mention we have a no TATA car policy in our house since then.

Last edited by nik0502 : 11th June 2020 at 02:41.
Old 11th June 2020, 05:34   #43
BHPian

I own a 2017 Tiago XZA. I knew what I was getting into with Concorde/TATA, but I was pleasantly surprised with my buying experience; of course, not mind-blowing, but pleasant nonetheless. Yes, they didn't follow up much after booking; I had to keep calling them throughout my 3-odd-week waiting period, but then once the car arrived at the stockyard their attitude changed for the better.

OTOH, as a few have already mentioned, if you've made up your mind on the car, just go for it. In my experience, you can't escape haggling with the ASCs, be it Maruti, Hyundai or Honda, especially if you're quite particular about your car (ASCs hate informed customers IMO). And the story isn't going to be any different with TATA. Of course, the effort/improvement on the part of the ASCs is quite discernible. My car has done 50K kilometers in 3 years and is due for a periodic service. I've been getting reminders from three TATA ASCs on a regular basis, which is proof enough that there is some effort on their part. I hope it only improves from here.

I'm quite happy with my servicing costs (has cost me 17K over the three-year period) and the durability of parts so far and don't regret buying this car one bit. So my advice -- if you're happy with the product, just go for it.
Old 11th June 2020, 07:35   #44
BHPian

Folks here is a peice of advice. If the sales folks are lacklusture and not interested in selling you a car, be aware that the rot runs deeper. You may very well face the same disinterest during servicing and honouring warranty claims.
Regarding your particular case, a swift is any day a more fun to drive car than a Tiago with its under powered engine. Dealing with a casual dealer, do you really want the car so bad? The only interesting cars in the whole Tata range may well be the Nexon and the Harrier. Rest are meh
AirbusCapt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 09:27   #45
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Tata dealer experience can be S-A-D, but it doesn't matter to me.
In last 1 year, I have been to two Tata dealerships:
1) Sagar Motors - Noida
2) Multitech Motors - Faridabad

Both the times the experience was FBE (Far below expectation)

In fact, the Multitech motors experience is just 2 days old, 09th June itself. A friend was in the dilemma between Ecosport auto and Nexon Auto, Multitech guys and their lackluster response sealed the deal for the Ford though. He, being a honest and high ranked govt. official, is already a bit habitual of being treated respectfully, and was really annoyed looking at the attitude of dealership people.

We entered the dealership, thoroughly checked Nexon and Harrier ourselves; not a single sales guy approached us. After around 10 min, we directly asked the security guard if they want any car to be sold or not. The guard went up and told the sales team - still nothing.

Finally, one sales guy, who was on a long call since last 10-15 min; approached us. In the meanwhile, I made three calls on the numbers mentioned on a chart there regarding grievance etc. The chart read three names:
  • GM Sales - Amit Chaudhary, called - not picked up (Later some Mr. Manish called, but he informed that he is Covid positive, hence unavailable)
  • Territory Sales Manager - Nayan Goel - he picked up, when I said in my normal tone "gaadi bechni hai ya nahi (You guys even want to sell the cars or not)", this guy replied "first talk to me by lowering your tone". I was surprised at his audacity (probably high sense of job security). No wonder, this is how these people are driving down their sales teams and the organization too!
  • Regional Manager - Ashutosh Tiwari, called but no response. No wonder, he is an IAS level officer; while the real civil servant was standing inside his dealer premises for begging to get a new car.

Finally, I came back reciting the same lines as once said by one gentleman about this organization. "They are not habitual of success, even slight success of any of their product, runs directly into their heads".

Tata is doing a lot for the nation, but the employees like these, I am forced to ask myself if these people are doing justice to what the organization is doing for them.

Finally, we got one TD, the buyer even liked the car - and gave the booking to Ford. He was clear that if these guys are so arrogant before taking the booking, what will they do after the sale is done?

Quote:
but it doesn't matter to me.
It matters GTO, when you are a struggling brand, and the attitude of your people is pushing the prospects away - then it matters. If they fail to succeed in long term, we, as the buyers, will be left with only age old and lackluster products after all, because the scale won't favor major upgrade sin long run!

Last edited by VKumar : 11th June 2020 at 09:32.
VKumar is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks