Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2020, 16:03   #16
BHPian

Re: Creative Vento owner creates advertisements to get VW India's attention to his problems

Make Another one that says

Volkswagen. Das Rato.
psyph3r is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 16:39   #17
BHPian

Re: Creative Vento owner creates advertisements to get VW India's attention to his problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
I think it's quite a powerful, yet unique way to approach the problem.
This is funny!

--

I thought it would be interesting to give some context to the original VW print ads.

(TL;DR: Check out these classic VW print ads below.)

The year is 1955. It's been five years since the US saw the first Beetle on their roads but the people haven't warmed up to it yet. Why? Maybe it's because anti-German sentiments are still running high even though WWII was almost a decade ago. Maybe it's because the Beetle's specs are nothing to write home about and not many want to be seen in a "puny, ugly German car", when big, flatbed Fords and Chevys (and others) are the things to be owned and driven. VW needs to do something and fast.

Bill Bernbach (now considered an Advertising legend) is called in. His agency Doyle, Dane and Bernbach (DDB) takes reins of the brand. Copywriter Julian Koenig and Art Director Helmut Krone (along with Bernbach) get together and create what is now considered as some of the finest advertising the world has seen.

Print ads in the 50s are flamboyant, loud and boastful. Koenig's approach of self-deprecating humor and downright honest copy, coupled with Krone's black and white, small and sometimes barely-able-to-see-the-product, and humble visuals come in like a breath of fresh air. No brand had ever dared to play the underdog and put themselves down this way. The campaign does so well that by the 70s, the Bug is one of the top-selling cars in the US.

The campaign goes on for the next few decades and in the process churns out a lotta money for the brand and also some brilliant ads. In fact, Advertising Schools all over the world use these campaigns as ad lessons in their classrooms, to this day.

Here are a few examples of the VW classic ads from the internet, in no specific order:

The legendary one-word 'negative headline' ad:

Creative Vento owner creates advertisements to get VW India's attention to his problems-lemon.jpg

You'll never convince a client today to have their product this small in the ad:

Creative Vento owner creates advertisements to get VW India's attention to his problems-vwthinksmall.jpg Creative Vento owner creates advertisements to get VW India's attention to his problems-house.jpg

Creative Vento owner creates advertisements to get VW India's attention to his problems-54-64.jpg Creative Vento owner creates advertisements to get VW India's attention to his problems-338_1_thats_how_many_times_we_inspect_a_volkswagen.jpg

Creative Vento owner creates advertisements to get VW India's attention to his problems-air-cooled.jpg Creative Vento owner creates advertisements to get VW India's attention to his problems-evolution.jpg

Creative Vento owner creates advertisements to get VW India's attention to his problems-gas.jpg Creative Vento owner creates advertisements to get VW India's attention to his problems-hills.jpg

Creative Vento owner creates advertisements to get VW India's attention to his problems-3-sizes.jpg Creative Vento owner creates advertisements to get VW India's attention to his problems-where-they.jpg

Creative Vento owner creates advertisements to get VW India's attention to his problems-01.jpg Creative Vento owner creates advertisements to get VW India's attention to his problems-02.jpg

Creative Vento owner creates advertisements to get VW India's attention to his problems-kick-.jpg Creative Vento owner creates advertisements to get VW India's attention to his problems-afford.jpg

Creative Vento owner creates advertisements to get VW India's attention to his problems-couldnt.jpg Creative Vento owner creates advertisements to get VW India's attention to his problems-grand.jpg

Creative Vento owner creates advertisements to get VW India's attention to his problems-replace.jpg Creative Vento owner creates advertisements to get VW India's attention to his problems-salesman.jpg

Creative Vento owner creates advertisements to get VW India's attention to his problems-honduras.jpg Creative Vento owner creates advertisements to get VW India's attention to his problems-nobody.jpg

---

There is actually a book with all the classic VW ads. It's called Remember Those Great Volkswagen Ads?

ISBN-13 : 978-1858946344
ISBN-10 : 1858946344

You can buy it here on Amazon, if you're interested: https://www.amazon.in/Remember-Those...s%2C334&sr=8-1

@Mods: Can you put the Team-BHP watermark on top so that they do not block the body copy on the ads? Thanks!

Cheers!
foxworkz is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 17:32   #18
BHPian

This was hilarious ! Oh dear, but I sympathize with this fellow's predicament. I thought some major mechanical issue has compelled him to use his creativity and come up with something offbeat like this. Hope VW India takes note of this and resolves the issue at the earliest.

I can totally relate to this fellow's sentiment. It was my dream too, to always drive a VW car and that too Polo in particular ever since it was launched in India. Hailing from a middle class family, when the topic of buying our first family car came up, decision was just straightforward - Polo ! Unlike how I read experiences of about BHPians /people in general scanning for options, doing RnD etc ( which definitely how it should be ), I had absolutely done nothing except for understanding Polo. For my next upgrade, I shall surely explore options. But for our first dear lovely family car, my heart was fixed on Polo irrespective of what other existing good cars / new good cars were expected in the market around Feb 2017.

I hope this guy gets his love back soon.
Old 30th October 2020, 21:52   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjango View Post
Can you elaborate specifically about Skoda ASS experience at Lucknow ? I'm very interested in Rapid but afraid of what's in store for me post purchase!
Thanks
We purchased our first family car in 2015 from Vishal Cars Lucknow, then 2nd one in 2019 from Kamal Kishore Skoda Lucknow, and the sales executive was the same. Vishal Cars shut the shop and Kamal Kishore took over, and I think some staff was retained.

Both the times the booking was done by me via telephonic conversation and through the same sales executive. My demands were 1)Family-member will do a physical inspection of the car[because me being in Hyderabad will not be available for the same] and 2)VIN details have to be shared before hand. The sales executive agreed without hesitation and even helped in the whole process, once my sister did the inspection and the other time it was my father. And to add to it, both the times it was required that the dealer park the car safely at his location for minimum 2 months because of personal reasons and requirements, and the car was driven home by me after 2 months when I went to my hometown Gorakhpur from Hyderabad Via Lucknow.

In simple words both the times my booking and delivery experiences were satisfactory, no complaints in this department.

Till now physically I have been involved with the servicing of the 1st car when the dealer was Vishal cars, since I am from Gorakhpur I booked the service in advance and took my car with my relative to Lucknow for servicing. The overall service experience was good. Recently my other car(purchased in 2019) went for 7.5k and 15K service to Kamal Kishore and I got in touch with the sales representative and the car was serviced and delivered to customer satisfaction, no complaints till now. The sales representative helped me here too, even if he was not from service department.

To sum things up, the overall ownership experience have been good with the Lucknow Skoda dealer. It all depends whether you are in touch with right person in the dealership, they make things easy for you during your ownership period.

And one thing I would like to quote here that, I have been following team-Bhp thread since 2015, and learnt a lot form this forum, the forum taught me how to treat people well at the dealership, to get the right kind of treatment and relationship from them. Since my first delivery of a car till date whenever I take delivery or is involved in a delivery process I always ask the owner to give a simple gift from your end to the sales representative. This point I read on team-Bhp thread on taking delivery of new car, and that helped me a lot.

If you want I will share contact details of the sales representative with you and will talk to him personally if required.
any23 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2020, 01:05   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

I love that the advertising was about how little the VW looks changed. Of course, that suits me down to the ground. So different from today's facelift-fever.

Can we get confirmation that the OP's friend's car is fixed? Perhaps the thread title should be changed accordingly.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 13:44   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
ARAI starts testing Hyundai i30 diesel

A test mule of the Hyundai i30 hatchback has been spotted testing in India. The car's rear windshield bears a yellow sticker indicating that it is being tested by the Automotive Research Association of India (ARAI).

Attachment 1993048

The same i30 with the same number plate has been spotted earlier. However, since the ARAI is involved this time, it is being speculated that the car is being homologated for India.

Attachment 1993047

The test car has a 1.6D badge on the boot lid, which suggests that it has the 1.6-litre, 4-cylinder, turbocharged diesel engine under its bonnet. This engine comes in two states of tune - 113 BHP and 134 BHP and is offered with either a 6-speed manual gearbox or a 7-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission.

Hyundai has not made any official announcement regarding the introduction of the i30 in India.

Source

Link to Team-BHP News
Quote:
Originally Posted by any23 View Post
We purchased our first family car in 2015 from Vishal Cars Lucknow, then 2nd one in 2019 from Kamal Kishore Skoda Lucknow, and the sales executive was the same. Vishal Cars shut the shop and Kamal Kishore took over, and I think some staff was retained.

Both the times the booking was done by me via telephonic conversation and through the same sales executive. My demands were 1)Family-member will do a physical inspection of the car[because me being in Hyderabad will not be available for the same] and 2)VIN details have to be shared before hand. The sales executive agreed without hesitation and even helped in the whole process, once my sister did the inspection and the other time it was my father. And to add to it, both the times it was required that the dealer park the car safely at his location for minimum 2 months because of personal reasons and requirements, and the car was driven home by me after 2 months when I went to my hometown Gorakhpur from Hyderabad Via Lucknow.

In simple words both the times my booking and delivery experiences were satisfactory, no complaints in this department.

Till now physically I have been involved with the servicing of the 1st car when the dealer was Vishal cars, since I am from Gorakhpur I booked the service in advance and took my car with my relative to Lucknow for servicing. The overall service experience was good. Recently my other car(purchased in 2019) went for 7.5k and 15K service to Kamal Kishore and I got in touch with the sales representative and the car was serviced and delivered to customer satisfaction, no complaints till now. The sales representative helped me here too, even if he was not from service department.

To sum things up, the overall ownership experience have been good with the Lucknow Skoda dealer. It all depends whether you are in touch with right person in the dealership, they make things easy for you during your ownership period.

And one thing I would like to quote here that, I have been following team-Bhp thread since 2015, and learnt a lot form this forum, the forum taught me how to treat people well at the dealership, to get the right kind of treatment and relationship from them. Since my first delivery of a car till date whenever I take delivery or is involved in a delivery process I always ask the owner to give a simple gift from your end to the sales representative. This point I read on team-Bhp thread on taking delivery of new car, and that helped me a lot.

If you want I will share contact details of the sales representative with you and will talk to him personally if required.
That thing you wrote about how to treat the folks at dealerships and service centers is pure gold! Also, thanks a ton for being willing to help with contact details and even talking to them. You are a true ambassador of Team BHP values
I'm a lot more assured about the dealer here now. Although our decision of purchase has been put on hold due to some other priorities; but whenever it will happen, I'm going to reach out to you.
Keep being the way you are
Pjango is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 13:11   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post

I bought a Volkswagen Vento Highline AT around 3 years back. It was a smooth ride till five months back but then things took an ugly turn due to a wiring issue which Automark Motors Pvt. Ltd. (Volkswagen Ahmedabad dealership) has still not been able to solve. I have been patient all this while but now I can't tolerate their apathetic attitude.
That is strange. I serviced my GT TSI at Automark for 4 years when I was in AMD. They've been quite good with it and I've had two repairs as well, one for a fuel pump and another for an oil sump leak. Both were jobs done well and it is now 3 years since and no issues.

The fuel pump took 20 odd days because it was a weird issue where the car would run fine for 100 odd kms from a cold start and then the supply would cut off and engine will stall. So in day to day use, it was absolutely fine. To complicate matters, the error was pointing to a fuel sensor failure but the problem recurred on a test drive after the sensor was replaced. So they had to finally refer it to their German counterparts and wait for a diagnosis.

In this case, maybe they are waiting for parts? It would be beyond their control, really.
Old 9th December 2021, 17:15   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandadevieast View Post
These are exact spoofs of the legendary ads created by Bill Bernbach in 60’s ? for Volkswagen. Those ads had same lay outs, backgrounds, weightages and copy which the author has brilliantly tweaked
Bernbach? Wasn't it David Ogilvy?

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks