Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2021, 11:31   #1
BHPian

What causes the impression of poor sales & service?

I have been reading various car ownership threads over the past few years and have read about both positive and negative dealership experiences. I have also observed that on many instances, people reject cars from certain brands just because the impression in the market is that the brand has poor sales and service. There are various reasons that cause people to have a sour experience, some of which are:

With respect to sales:

1. Not keeping promises- It could be the freebies that they promised but did Not give. It could be the delivery date they committed but changed at the last moment. Maybe they promised you a test drive but later gave lame excuses.

2. Changing the SA frequently- While buying a car, one would want to have a single point of contact with the dealership. But in some cases, the SA keeps changing every time you visit. This leads to confusion and chaos.

3. The SAs themselves- The way the SA receives a customer in the first 5 minutes of their visit makes a very crucial first impression. If the SA is rude, disinterested or lacks knowledge, or sometimes all of these, then the customer doesn’t feel like buying a car from that particular dealership.

4. ‘Take it or leave it’ attitude- This commonly occurs when a model is selling too well and the dealership doesn’t care about losing a customer. Refusing a test drive, forcing the customer to buy accessories, overcharging or forcing the customer to buy insurance from them are some common practices.

With respect to service:

1. Poor diagnosis leading to repetitive visits- Most people have work to do and are barely able to squeeze out enough time to get their car fixed. Here, it’s a reasonable expectation that the dealership will diagnose the issue, resolve it and return the car properly fitted in just one visit.
However in reality, this does not seem to be happening. Sometimes, they replace the wrong part. Sometimes they don’t refit everything properly, leaving the owner with a rattling car.

2. Waiting for parts- This generally happens when the car is a flopped model, or the part isn’t one that has to be commonly replaced. While it is understandable that the dealership has to order the parts from the factory and it does take some time. But on many instances, quite a lot of time elapses and the car remains sitting idle at the dealership gathering dust.

3. Overcharging- Most dealerships have this habit. “Sir your car needs ‘Trim enrichment’. It is very important to get this done every 4 years.”
Sounds familiar?
Also seen that some dealerships tend to quote very high prices for certain parts. I remember that I had had my battery replaced at the MB dealership for merely 22k. But when a fellow BHPian approached them for the same, they quoted him twice the amount!

4. Not honouring warranty or acknowledging defects- Quite a lot of times, I have seen people facing problems that are obviously manufacturing defects, but the dealership either says that it is normal, or refuses to cover it correctly under warranty.

With respect to both sales and services-

1. Fraudulent practices- Covering up accidental damage on a new car, concealing facts, charging unnecessary costs, or replacing parts with defective ones at the service centre.

2. Manufacturing defects- For most of us, a car is the second largest purchase of our lives. Ending up with a lemon after spending a fortune is very disheartening.

3. Poor escalation matrix- At the end of the day, if things go wrong at the dealership level, the customer would want to contact higher authorities I.e the manufacturer for resolution. If the e-mails fall on deaf ears, your calls aren’t answered or simply redirected to the dealership, then there is no other way to resolve the issue other than depending on the dealership or going to court.

4. Unreasonable expectations from customers- We as customers must realise that we are dealing with humans, so mistakes can be made. I have often come across customers with highly unreasonable expectations from the the dealership, and when the dealership fails to deliver, they end up getting angry.
Once I was at Delhi Ford for servicing my Ikon and there was this one man, who was creating a scene. He was screaming at the staff and disturbing everyone present. His problem? His brand new Figo wasn’t giving the claimed fuel efficiency. He was expecting it to deliver 22 KMPL (or whatever is the claimed mileage), but it was giving him “only” 12-13 KMPL in city driving. Another time, I had seen a guy fighting with his teeth and claws at a Maruti
Dealership as he wanted them to replace a broken door handle under warranty. The guy simply did not understand that warranty only covers manufacturing defects.

Now, I may have missed some points but what I am trying to understand is that all of the above can happen at ALL car dealerships, irrespective of who the manufacturer is. People face these issues right from Maruti to Tata dealerships. In fact, there are some groups who operate dealerships of various brands, and I would think that the particular group would deliver similar customer experiences at all their dealerships, irrespective of the brand. Why is it then, that the market has impressions that a particular company has bad sales and services, while another company has great service?
Why do people say that Maruti has good service but Tata has bad after-sales?

The customer experience depends on the dealership, which are different for different cities. Then why do we say that XYZ company has bad service? I am sure all companies train their dealership staff to ensure good service, so then why do some companies end up with a general impression of bad after-sales?

As an example, in 2014, I was in the market for a new car, so visited quite a few dealerships. My first experience with a BMW dealership was as bad as it gets. My first visit was to Deutsch motern, and the behaviour and arrogance of the SA was repulsive to say the least! [probably because I went in a 14 year old Ford Ikon]. On the test drive of the X1, I remarked that the engine noise was a little high. to this, he bluntly responded,''This is not your TATA. This is BMW.'' I found this to be really offensive.
On the other hand, my experience at Bird Automotive, Gurugram was a very pleasant one. The SA was courteous, He explained everything properly, offered multiple test-drives and never came across as arrogant.
So as you can see, I can't make a sweeping statement and say that BMW has bad sales and service. In fact, I cannot even say that Deutsch motern has bad SAs. It was just that one SA who was arrogant, and I know quite a lot of people who are really happy dealing with this dealership. This highlights the fact that not only does the experience vary from deanship to dealership, but it also varies depending on the SA one deals with. So is it fair to paint all dealerships of a particular company with the same brush?

Last edited by Sanidhya mukund : 31st January 2021 at 11:59.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 08:04   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: What causes the impression of poor sales & service?

Here are some points:

1. The underlying reason behind the approach at dealerships today is that they know that cars will sell anyways, and there doesn't need to be quality in their approach. Why? Because there is always a huge demand and supplies aren't able to meet it, especially in the first year of launch of a model.

2. Even for cars that don't sell well, the dealership plays a mind game with customers and doesn't give in ever - I believe this is one of the ingredients of marketing. I have seen this at a Nexa, a Maruti Suzuki Arena, and a Honda dealership that I had been to with friends.

3. The focus on quality of products and services is long gone. This used to be an important parameter say 10 years ago, not anymore.

4. Most dealerships across brands in a state or a city are owned by one big entity - and they enjoy a lot of clout with the local bigwigs - so why would they care?

5. Manufacturers depend on dealers to sell their products. Pardon me for going overboard, but dealerships control manufacturers, and not the other way around. I've been seeing this trend since the 90s.

Customer experience at any dealership boils down to just 2 things - culture of the dealership and individual traits. There are some sales advisors and service advisors who are gems, but such examples are rare.

Money is the prime driver - and when this comes without bowing down, why would anyone bow down to a customer?
vigsom is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 19:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

Root cause and solution of all these problems lies in poor floor management of at the dealership and poor oversight from the manufacturer whether its sales or service.
Onus of this falls on the manufacturer because I buy a Tata/Maruti car not a XYZ Tata/Maruti car.
For example the waiting time of spares, apart from the company could also be due to a lack of concern/follow-up from the dealership too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
In fact, there are some groups who operate dealerships of various brands, and I would think that the particular group would deliver similar customer experiences at all their dealerships, irrespective of the brand.
Correct, happens much more in smaller cities. Easier access to land/capital/contacts leads to groups/individuals getting most of the dealerships. And if they see it as just another source of income the zeal to provide/improve quality/service will be lacking.

Quote:
Why is it then, that the market has impressions that a particular company has bad sales and services, while another company has great service?
I would pin it on poor oversight over its dealers. The quality controls and complaint redressal are key.

Quote:
Why do people say that Maruti has good service but Tata has bad after-sales?
IMO primary reason is that Tata dealerships started with commercial customers, from the Sumo/Indica days and those interactions became ingrained in their culture. Now that they have entered personal vehicles, it could be that most of the issues are happening at those dealerships, which are still a majority. Hence the impression but I am just guessing here.
Also in our case impressions, take longer to change than realities.

As a counter argument Maruti is no saint. My experience in sales has been excellent in one and poor in another dealership while workshop experience is basically a perfect example of all the issues you mentioned
But from what I have read in other threads that their complaint redressal is quite effective.

Quote:
The customer experience depends on the dealership, which are different for different cities. Then why do we say that XYZ company has bad service? I am sure all companies train their dealership staff to ensure good service, so then why do some companies end up with a general impression of bad after-sales?
The execution of what they had been trained for IMO.
I had the pleasure to deal with 2 Suzuki(scooters) workshops and the experience was completely opposite. Mechanics were almost similar in both cases(good mechanics tend to move to better dealers), in one the floor management seemed absent while in the other there was a dedicated floor manager who was always on her toes checking on the staff and customers. They were actually doing what they had been trained for, surprisingly rare these days.

Quote:
So is it fair to paint all dealerships of a particular company with the same brush?
No it isn't. But its the responsibility of the company to manage its dealers since they claim the customers.
As a customer, its not my job to sort out the issues between a company and its dealer, at my cost

Look at Skoda, IIRC customers had terrible feedbacks on some dealers behaviour/service. Recently, I was watching Zac Hollis's interview where he acknowledged that and said that they had removed some of the dealers who had substantial complaints in the past. So they are aware and trying to move away from those dealers to improve their image, since its their responsibility.
I am quite interested to see how their A.S.S. fares now, skeptical but hopeful.

Last edited by shancz : 1st February 2021 at 19:53. Reason: concl
shancz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 20:03   #4
Senior - BHPian

My theory is that all service centers are the same and do not have a clue about how to repair if the issue is outside the routine service skillset. They all try to fleece you if given an opportunity. What makes a difference is the manufacturing quality.

Toyota service centers have the reputation of being the best because they only handle routine maintenance. While in the case of a Tata, every other vehicle has an AC pipe leaking or a check engine light blinking, or some other convoluted issue that needs more involved trouble shooting. Naturally, when the complaints are higher, human beings get tired and react in unpredictable ways. An SA at Tata ASS handles far more product complaints that one at Toyota ASS and that means there is more probability of bad behaviour and more opportunities to fleece customers.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 1st February 2021 at 20:05.
padmrajravi is online now   (18) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 20:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

The list that spoils the image of service, not in any order, but very important, IMHO

1.SA not listening to the owner about the issues and note down promptly in Job card

2. Negating that the issue does not exist even without verification.
Corollary: saying that the issue is common across all cars.

3. Should give the hint of what is the part that needs replacement or repaired.

4. Not honestly trying to repair the existing part and resolve the issue. It is not that replacement is the only solution for resolving the issue.

5. Giving suggestion or mandating on all unnecessary value added services while writing the job card.(ex: ac cleaning, engine decarbonisation)

6. While the car is undergoing service, Calling and telling some non-existent issue and seeking approval

7. Giving nonsense reasons for not resolving an issue that was reported

8. Stealing fuel or parts from the car

9. Giving wrong estimate initially as against the final invoice

10. Bad quality of work

11. Adding items to invoice that were not discussed during Job card creation

12. Skipping the services, in order to get more money Ex: if car has run 45,200 kms, SA definitely writes it as 50K service instead of 45,000 kms service even if car has not undergone 45k service. Reason is very simple. 50K is major service where as 45k is intermittent service.

Last edited by gkveda : 1st February 2021 at 20:16.
gkveda is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 10:47   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: What causes the impression of poor sales & service?

As padmrajravi stated, dealers of brands with reliable cars really have it easy. Imagine something like the Innova or Fortuner - nothing ever goes wrong, and the Innova keeps coming in every 5000 km.

Even the same dealer + same mechanic who is rated top class by customer surveys would struggle with something like a Skoda Superb or early Mahindra XUV500s (both troublesome). They will find it difficult to keep customers happy for no fault of theirs as it is the cars that have problems.

In that sense, Maruti has it easy and I know for a fact that the company maintains a sniper-like focus on reliability. Reliability wins cars many fans, not just from customers, but even from the guys working on them.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 11:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to burst the bubbles of a few, but it is generally not the mechanics that are at fault. The manufacturers are to be blamed. I'll admit, India does have a share of poorly-trained mechanics though.

TLDR: European - not easy to fix as they age; Japanese - easy to fix as they age.

Unlike the 60s, 70s, and 80s, the modern German cars are notorious for having some of the most unnecessarily complicated designs compared to their Japanese competitors. I'll quote my post in the other thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Let me share 2 examples from my side:
1. VWs 2.5 Inline-5 NA gas engine: When I got a job in the USA, I was seriously considering a used VW Jetta with the NA 2.5 liter engine with an MT. One of my colleagues warned me against it. Why? The timing chain was at the end where the engine bolts on to the transmission. His girlfriend had a timing chain rattle on her Jetta at 120k miles/192k km. While such problems aren't very surprising at that mileage, the cost of replacing the timing chain came at a shock. The estimate was nearly $2500 as the transmission and CV axles had to be removed. Needless to say, they sold the car. For reference, the same job in his Camry was done at 195k miles/314k km and cost $950 as the timing chain was in the "front" of the engine. The transmission needn't be touched! Ooh, what a surprise
Most mechanics in the US agree that German cars are the most over-engineered and people choose not to repair them as they age because it is just too expensive. My guess is that there are enough mechanics in the EU (and the UK) who know how to handle complex repairs and don't charge a fortune. I don't think I've ever seen a Jetta with over 150k miles while searching for a used car in the US.

The Japanese focus more on customer satisfaction and hence, repairability is a big USP. Pick Suzuki, Honda, or Toyota anywhere in the world - they are known for their reliability and ease of repairability. Since they cost very little to fix, the Japanese cars are the most popular in almost all the countries.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 3rd February 2021 at 11:35.
landcruiser123 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 11:57   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
My theory is that all service centers are the same and do not have a clue about how to repair if the issue is outside the routine service skillset. They all try to fleece you if given an opportunity. What makes a difference is the manufacturing quality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
As padmrajravi stated, dealers of brands with reliable cars really have it easy. Imagine something like the Innova or Fortuner - nothing ever goes wrong, and the Innova keeps coming in every 5000 km.
Now that you guys mentioned it, I realised that most companies that have a good image WRT service are the ones that make reliable cars. Maruti, Toyota, Lexus etc. are all known for their good after sales, and they all seem to be among the more reliable manufacturers.
But another aspect that I have noticed is that in some cases, even when the product isn't particularly reliable, but the manufacturer is prompt when it comes to grievance redressal, then the customer is generally happy with the company. As an example, someone I know had a few issues with their new Benz GLC, but the dealership resolved all the issues under warranty. The said person seems to have only good things to say about Mercedes service.
Another example would be the MG Hector customer whose car had caught fire. It must have been a shocking event for him, but since MG promptly replaced the car, he didn't seem to have any complaints about the service. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...hing-fire.html (The curious case of MG Hectors catching fire)
While the service experience is certainly heavily dependant upon the reliability of the car, the sales experience on the other hand is totally dependant on the dealer.
Here also, one would notice that some companies seem to always deliver sour experiences in ALL their dealerships. For instance, I have seldom come across a TATA owner who was actually happy with the car delivery experience. Almost all TATA dealers seem to be losing documents, forgetting commitments, causing confusion, booking the wrong colour/variant etc.
Even Nissan dealers seem to be lethargic or careless when it comes to sales, going by the experience of various forum members. Had this been happening at just a couple of dealerships of these brands, it wouldn't have been a bother, but this attitude seems to be universal to all their dealers!
I wonder what causes this? I am sure all manufacturers arrange for sales training whenever they launch a new product, but still, their dealers ALWAYS seem to be getting it wrong.

Last edited by Sanidhya mukund : 3rd February 2021 at 11:59.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 12:00   #9
Senior - BHPian

On the ‘Sales’ side, let me add one more :
The Art, channel and modes of communications from the Sales Person.

I’m sure, like me, many who booked the Thar are getting to know the true meaning of ‘Incommunicado’ from the Mahindra dealers. I booked in the first week of October and I can confidently say that not once did they write or call or provide anything pro-active. I hate it when we have to keep reminding people of what they are expected to do. And my current Mahindra dealer just joined that list. It’s been two weeks beyond the promised delivery date and they simply feel that remaining silent will somehow automatically solve a problem.

Last edited by jkrishnakj : 3rd February 2021 at 12:02.
jkrishnakj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 11:24   #10
BHPian

Poor pre-sales and post-sales service has become endemic to the Indian ecosystem. Car dealers are not the only ones on this. Real estate, consumer electronics, education, hospitality, healthcare are all plagued by this rot.

Reason:
- Commoditization of the very function of customer service.
- The relentless drive of businesses to lower their costs by lowering wages and hence driving the educated workforce out of the customer service sector.
- Increasing arrogance of business owners. Most car dealerships etc are just fronts. The floor staff are aware of this and care two hoots if the customer comes back or not. Car dealerships, petrol pumps, restaurants, mom&pop colleges etc are all a part of the same model.
- Large population means that there is always another buyer available. Long wait times only compound this problem.
- Poor technical training of technicians. They are further exploited by the owners with poor work conditions. They in turn screw over the customer out of frustration.

There is no way back from this. It will only get worse with time.

Last edited by yd_gli : 4th February 2021 at 11:31.
yd_gli is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 20:40   #11
BHPian

I will share my experience of purchase and after sales service for Maruti and Tata -

2012 Suzuki Swift Dealer experience - I was promised by the Sales executive and Manager that the particular color and model is available with them as one buyer's loan process did not go through. Based on that I paid the amount but post booking I was told that the color is different and then I had to wait for almost three months for the delivery. It ruined my trust on that particular dealer (Deewar's Garage, Kolkata). I felt this was purely a cheating by the dealer and sales executive to get the deal closed.

MASS service experience - Post my experience with the dealer I went to a different MASS (Machino Techno) for my Swift's service. I had a good relation with one of the service engineer there and service experience was always good for couple of years till part time drivers from driver center started running the car for family duties. In no time gear shifting started giving trouble. The clutch pedal felt tight and gears would not slot correctly. Sometimes it would refuse to go to second from first so have to go to third. By this time the service process has also changed with MASS. They key in the problem and follow the advice that appears on their screen. Going by that advice they replaced the clutch even though I insisted that I am not feeling any loss of power and it is only the gear shifting which is the issue. It was a paid service and I had to pay for the clutch change. But within a week the gear started showing the same problem. Raised the complaint now with the manager and they replaced the clutch again free of cost sighting that the previous one was faulty. After this second change the car ran okay for few more weeks and then the problem returned. By this time I knew that MASS was not going to solve my issue so I started looking for a outside garage and found one from our very own TBHP forum (Alok Automobiles, Kolkata). One fine morning when I was taking my daughter to school, the clutch pedal totally gave up and I was stranded in the middle of the road. Right away called up Suman-da owner of Alok Automobile and he arranged for towing vehicle and took the car to him. Overnight the car was fixed and I got it back the next day. Clutch cable & clutch pressure plate were changed at 1/3 of what MASS charged and since then the car is running without any issue for 2 plus years and I covered interstate and hill drive in Sikkim without any issue.

2019 Tata Hexa - Buying experience with Lexus Motors was overall good except the small glitch at the end when I received the owner's manual without any service coupon in it. Although promised by the dealer that it will not cause any issue but still it just left a little anxiety in an otherwise good experience. Eventually I did not face any issue with my free services. Even they managed to arrange for a newly bought car from an owner for my test drive as the actual test drive car was away that day.

TASS service experience - More or less satisfied with the free services. In my last service I told them to upgrade the ICE but they forgot to do it. I bought specially made rear mudguard from one of our Hexa owner and asked TASS to fix them but they wont do as it is outside their scheduled tasks. So went to Alok Automobile and they fixed it. I want to upgrade the lights but again TASS said they will not do it, so I guess I will have to head back to Alok automobile again.

My conclusion is buying experience depends on the dealer and its sales executives.
ASS depends on the car company and now-a-days with very less flexibility given to the service engineers getting jobs done outside their company specified job has become an issue. So if the issue is something familiar one is lucky otherwise dissatisfaction is guaranteed.

Last edited by Mile_Breaker : 4th February 2021 at 20:43.
Mile_Breaker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 21:38   #12
BHPian

Quote:
I wonder what causes this? I am sure all manufacturers arrange for sales training whenever they launch a new product, but still, their dealers ALWAYS seem to be getting it wrong.
After spending almost my entire career being in "customer service" mostly outside India and in India (mostly serving customers outside India) and having worked in all levels (including CSR, TSR and a global Complaint handling till senior management level) I obviously expect a decent level of Customer services and obviously react when I as a customer is not served for what we pay.

Firstly, the concept of customer service has to start from a person's attitude, more than aptitude or knowledge or skills or quality of products. The moment a person understand that their job is "only" dependent on customer's satisfaction and repeat customers or positive customer feedback that brings more customers, the attitude would change.

While selecting team members, I used to use car showroom experiences of a reliable japanese car dealer with take it or leave it attitude and a korean car dealer (back in the 90s) with a welcoming, helpfull, courteous staff who shows interest to explain even after you mention that you are only checking out the product (window shopping) to finalise the right person.

Obviously, customer service outside India is different but in India even the best global players become "desi" probably the criteria is different where money (discount or freebies) are considered more important than the customer experience. We may change as more of us with experience of real customer service cone back and raise the bar of our expectation and the organization take effort to analyse and understand that good customer service will only help them sustain the business in the long run but it may take long as the current practise is to make hay while the sunshines and nobody has vision beyond the short term.

Probably the chinese products (with short life) could be the reason where we are mentally primed to replace products often (use and throw model) than acquiring products for life and then pay huge price for antique items as show pieces. This "short term" fixing the wrong problem has creeped into every walks of our life that we also look at our relationship in the same way.

Organization's should make efforts to make quality product that lasts and offer customers services that will eventually bring them or their friends and or relatives as customers. Unfortunately that is only an utopean dream.
Jo-G is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2021, 01:00   #13
BHPian

Quote:
3. The SAs themselves- The way the SA receives a customer in the first 5 minutes of their visit makes a very crucial first impression. If the SA is rude, disinterested or lacks knowledge, or sometimes all of these, then the customer doesn’t feel like buying a car from that particular dealership.
This point is very important, I feel, as it makes or breaks the buying experience and not every person who visits a car showroom is an enthusiast or understands cars and will thus overlook a bad first impression. Quoting what I had posted on another thread on a similar topic some time back:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neversaygbye View Post
Had gone to a Tata showroom today and also to Hyundai and Kia showrooms as a friend is currently trying to decide between the Venue, Nexon, Sonet and XUV300 as his next car, and unsurprisingly the worst showroom experience was at the Tata one. It's not that they were rude or uninterested or lackadaisical - it was just that the sales executive did not have basic information at his fingertips, and that too for a tried and tested car like the Nexon. He could not even answer basic questions on the service interval of the petrol and diesel variants and I actually had to ask for an owner's manual to see the manufacturer recommended service interval. He also did not know or would not say whether the petrol engine is a naturally aspirated one or a turbo one. These are all training issues. On the whole the experience did not feel as personal or as welcoming as what we experienced in the Hyundai and Kia showrooms (Hyundai was the best of the lot - even the Kia sales executive was not that knowledgeable in comparison) and the lack of basic knowledge of the sales executive played a huge part in this. It's really unfortunate that even with such competent products Tata has still not been able to sort out the showroom experience.
Sales training is a critical component that drives the dealer experience and hence sales. It should be the responsibility of the car maker and not the dealer to ensure that SAs are properly trained. At the end of the day, the dealer is the face of the car maker and not the other way around.

On the other hand, despite all the horror stories about TASS, my experience with them across four service centres in Calcutta, one in Contai, and one in Jabalpur has mostly been superb.
Neversaygbye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 10:05   #14
BHPian

For me, it is poor diagnosis leading to multiple visits. The dealer I visit is Hyson Motors, either their Thrissur HQ or Kotapady SC.

I took my 2016 MY petrol Tiago to their Kotapady SC three years back because of a rattle from the speedo console. A really faint one which came only in specific rpms. First two times, they said that they've fixed it and returned to me, but they didn't do anything. Third time I took it there they must've realised that I'm relentless, and they said they've checked it thoroughly but actually just attached four pieces of packing material to the four corners of the speedo console. Still didn't fix anything. And on next visit, they finally opened the dashboard, they did not explicitly tell me that they did, but I realised they did once I got the car back and the dashboard was not well put back together, that initial rattle was still there, a bit louder than before and with it several other rattles as a result of their brilliant diagnosis.

There is the issue with the gear. It creates a reasonably loud noise when it is moved around left or right. Two visits yet and still no fix.

Then there's the steering issue. When I'm going through a corner midway and I encounter a bump, the steering suddenly loses control for a split second. I've had several heart-in-mouth moments as a result of it. But as usual they have failed to fix it during the several times I took my car to both their Kotapady as well as Thrissur HQ. It is not as obvious as before now, after I took the car to a third party alignment service

Another issue which they fail to fix is my driver side power window. It creates noise just after it closes and creates more scratching noise if I click on the button towards up after the window is fully up.
Three visits, if I remember correctly and still no fix. They say that the issue is with the motor, and that they've replaced it. I'm not sure that they did because there still is some noise.

The WORST issue with the car is a dashboard thud sound when going over some bumps. It is absolutely annoying and they have failed to do anything about it.
I don't remember it being present after taking delivery, so it must have started after one of their diagnosis attempts and they must have broken some clips that is required for the dashboard.
It's unbearable. The whole dashboard, I feel, just makes a loud thud sound when going over bumps that are a bit sharp. This got so annoying that I stopped visiting the SC which was nearest to me ( Kotapady ) and started taking the car to their HQ which is almost 35 kms away, in rush hour traffic, expecting better service, which ofcourse was just me being overly optimistic because they couldn't do anything about my issues as well.
I planned on taking the car to Concorde Motors, Cochin but me being the lucky person I am, they are winding up their operations in Kerala.

Right now I've just given up on them and have learnt to live with all the rattles.

This just shows my discontent with their service quality, doesn't mean I hate the car. Returns decent mileage ( albeit a tiny bit disappointing ), is nice to drive, has a brilliant music system that is saving me from all the rattles, looks nice, has been otherwise reliable so far ( engine no issues ), and feels much more tougher built than its rivals, the heft to the door is reassuring compared to some of its competition that I drove, like the swift, celerio, grand i10 etc

Last edited by SaiSW : 7th February 2021 at 10:18.
SaiSW is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks