Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2021, 13:19   #1
BHPian

Does car service / wash not include cleaning the underside? Lanson Toyota, Chennai

Does car service/ wash not include cleaning the underside? Fortuner - Lanson Toyota, Koyambedu, Chennai

Yesterday I took our 4 month and 3000 kms old Toyota Fortuner 4×2 diesel AT to Koyambedu Lanson Toyota, Chennai service centre to have the underside of the vehicle cleaned as I noticed that it had some material sticking on the underside, with probably more that I could not see considering the difficulty in visualisation of inaccessible regions, following travel in ankle deep water at times during the recent Chennai rains and flooding of some roads.

The service receptionist refused to accept the car saying that as per Lanson Toyota service SOP (Standard operating procedure) he cannot accept the car for servicing as they will never clean the underside of any Toyota vehicle during any type of servicing, from the time they shifted to eco-friendly waterless servicing more than three years ago. All their servicing is limited to the top, tyre wells and cabin only, and does not include cleaning the underside of cars according to him. When I asked him how to clear the stuck debris, he had no answer. When I asked him if he expects me to crawl under the vehicle and pull it out myself or take it to a non-Toyota service centre, raise the car and clean it, he had no answer, and still refused to accept the car.

Getting a tad upset, I asked to see the service manager, who also refused to accept the car for cleaning the underside, quoting their 3 year old SOP.

At this point I raised my voice, expressed my agitation and asked to see someone even higher up, and a customer relations manager came to the spot and on my asking him how Toyota expects me to clean the underside myself, and on my speaking to a VP (Vice President) working at Lanson Toyota over the phone simultaneously, he relented and agreed to accept the car for cleaning the underside as instructed by the VP. Eventually the job was completed (hopefully they did a thorough inspection and cleaned the underside properly) for a cost of INR.1222, and the vehicle returned to me.

My question is, is it only Lanson Toyota, Chennai, all of Toyota or have all car manufacturers stopped routinely cleaning the underside of the cars they sell during all types of servicing? Do all service centers not entertain special requests to clean the underside? Is this acceptable? Doesn't all the debris on the underside have to be removed frequently to ensure the longevity of our vehicles? Considering that they raised our Fortuner for underbody anti-rust coating during the sale of the vehicle, how difficult is it to raise and clean the underside during routine servicing or atleast do it when requested?

Hoping to hear about the experience of others and get advice on how to handle the situation next time.

Does car service / wash not include cleaning the underside? Lanson Toyota, Chennai-20211229_113157.jpg

Does car service / wash not include cleaning the underside? Lanson Toyota, Chennai-20211228_192348.jpg
Murugan is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 13:27   #2
MAS
Senior - BHPian

re: Does car service / wash not include cleaning the underside? Lanson Toyota, Chennai

Lanson has shifted to Eco-Wash and do not clean the underside of the car, unless otherwise requested.

My SA at Lanson OMR gets it done everytime and my car is cleaned by 3M/Waxpol guys instead of the regular cleaning guys, for no extra cost.
MAS is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 14:49   #3
BHPian

re: Does car service / wash not include cleaning the underside? Lanson Toyota, Chennai

In Bangalore the Govt banned pressure wash for cleaning vehicles unless you have a proper STP set up a few years back.

This was when the Bellandur lake foaming all over was in national news and the Govt took a series of steps to prevent sewage from entering the lake.

Post this all dealer workshops and even most popular detailing set ups like 3M only do dry wash.
anandhsub is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 15:20   #4
BHPian

After looking at the posters, I somehow felt that service center's refusal was justified.

I never felt the need to check whether my car gets cleaned from underside or not. I am under the impression that underside is supposed to be strong enough to handle all these dusty/muddy things.
NH08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 15:31   #5
BHPian

Actually, with all the add on costs in any Authorized service centre, be it Toyota or Maruti, the cost for a complete wash often runs into the thousands.

In comparison, the friendly neighborhood washer guy has almost all the same equipment (pressure washer, hydraulic/pneumatic lift etc) and will even entertain the customer standing on his head to get the cleaning done in a particular way, with whatever shampoo the customer provides (else clinic plus by default), and all this while charging a fraction of the cost compared to an ASC.

As a result, the Authorized Service guys many a times have cut back on the staff and resources for carrying out a complete wash and just do a upper body clean up. On top of that, in Chennai with its almost perennial water woes, I am guessing all ASCs are using it as an excuse for not investing in water conserving washing methods.

Speaking from personal experience at a "premium" maruti service centre in Mumbai MMR...
kosjam is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th December 2021, 01:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

I feel that the service center's stand is justified. They have switched to waterless cleaning for a reason and are not obligated to wash the underside of your car just because it's expensive. Anyways underbody washing is to be done infrequently a couple of times a year and can be easily done elsewhere for a nominal cost. There was absolutely no reason to create a scene and escalate the matter especially for a service not offered by the dealership. It's not a deficiency of service
Mortis is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th December 2021, 06:25   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
I feel that the service center's stand is justified. They have switched to waterless cleaning for a reason and are not obligated to wash the underside of your car just because it's expensive. Anyways underbody washing is to be done infrequently a couple of times a year and can be easily done elsewhere for a nominal cost. There was absolutely no reason to create a scene and escalate the matter especially for a service not offered by the dealership. It's not a deficiency of service
I respectfully disagree. Washing the underside of a car is not an unusual ask. It's basic routine maintenance for SUVs and 4x4s. While a dealership may take a stand on providing such a service, they should be able to recommend competent alternatives. The inability of the dealership to initially do so shows lack of initiative and an absence of a problem solving mindset.

It's poor business sense. Such an experience will make the customer look for alternatives thus resulting in loss of long-term service revenue from the customer for the service centre in question.
Pyrotek is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th December 2021, 06:33   #8
Senior - BHPian

Why do you get washing done at a service centre anyway, especially when it is a new and expensive car?

Or why would you take it to some roadside shed car wash that uses clinic plus + Ariel powder?

Use a professional car wash place that uses Meguiars or other quality products.

I always tell the service centre people not to wash my car and here I see people escalating for something the centre is generally not well qualified to do and actually has outsourced to some local car wash anyway.
hserus is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th December 2021, 08:46   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Does car service / wash not include cleaning the underside? Lanson Toyota, Chennai

When the service centre has an SOP, they stuck by it and I don't see a problem.

While you are agitated, you can always find a good service next time - they use good products and micro fibre towels to clean the car.

I don't know which part of Chennai you are in, but near Pallikkaranai / Madipakkam, there's Washify 360 who also has a underbody water jet which cleans well. I am regular there and Venkat & team does a good job (not excellent though).
swiftnfurious is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th December 2021, 08:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

Re: Does car service / wash not include cleaning the underside? Lanson Toyota, Chennai

Any specific reason why you went to the ASS for underbody washing? Is there a clause in the owners manual that underbody cleaning is not allowed?

If such a thing doesn't exist, it's always better to go to a reputed car wash centre.
Old 30th December 2021, 09:38   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

It’s been the case at least in Bangalore that irrespective of manufacturer everyone stopped pressure washes, forget underbody. At least in case of Toyota they do a good job with the wheel well and plastic trim but the Maruti ASC was only wiping painted panels and sprayed some cheap dresser on the plastic Which would wear off by the time the car reached home. This isnt because the manufacturer advises against underbody washing but because some pollution control board has directed so.

Hence from three years or so IIRC, if my car needs an underbody wash or a ‘full’ wash I take it to my FNG who do it by lifting up the Innova since its BOF and for the other cars they put it on a ramp.
Old 30th December 2021, 10:10   #12
Senior - BHPian

Maruti service stations I take my vehicles to for the last 30 years in Delhi always pressure wash the car - top, sides and underside.

The authorised service centres have facilities for recovering and processing the water used for washing, so they are eco-friendly.

Regarding Toyota, I have no knowledge, but as others say may be it is banned in Bangalore, but here in Delhi it is not so. Any way you can always go to an independent service centre and get the car washed thoroughly.
Old 30th December 2021, 10:32   #13
Senior - BHPian

I haven't seen underbody wash during service for any of my car ownerships.

Not related to underbody wash, but Koyambedu Lanson is among the lousiest and chaotic car service center I've experienced. They are the reason I have a low opinion on Toyota after sales. Its perennially crowded with Innova taxis, even a mundane service takes a long time. You have no clue on ETAs.
Old 30th December 2021, 11:50   #14
BHPian

For last few months this has started even in Kolkata. Topsel Toyota, Ruby specifically declares as part of save water policy they would not clean the underbody and that charges would be still same, no discount for not washing underbody. However with rapport and persuasive conversation the same can be accommodated. But I agree to what someone said that underbodies are meant to handle dirt and frequent cleaning not required, although offroaders or post monsoon when mud and water are in abundance everywhere such cleaning is required once in a while.

This varies from state to state, on my last trip to Kashmir twice I sent to vehicle for cleaning to Ansari Toyota in Srinagar and then Sunny Toyota in Agra and neither had this policy, moreover the same was cheaper than Kolkata.

Also to the point why I send my Crysta for ASS cleaning at times, it is simple peace of mind, if I am on a long trip would not take chances on someone unknown cleaning / watering at the wrong place or using some unknown to me detailing product where the car is bound to get dirty again on highway. I have experience of wrong way of cleaning where with time the brake pads started to rust.

Once a Toyota SA told me himself that the quality of paint on Toyota cars is such good that with no detailing things should last easily for 10 years and thereafter get repainted if you wish to still keep the car and it would be cheaper than detailing / ceramic coating for all these years.
haisaikat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2021, 11:57   #15
Senior - BHPian

Nandi Toyota at Bangalore doesn’t do either. Those were the days when the ‘Clean’ car coming out from a service was a joy. These days, I quietly mutter something and drive back home.

Thankfully, closer home, I discovered is a water wash guy, 4 months back, who does a foam wash + underbody clean at 350/- just external and interior vacuum with foam costs me 300 bucks. I do this once a month and do the underbody wash 2X a year.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks