Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2022, 20:35   #1
BHPian

Showroom selling flood-damaged new cars

This is my personal experience and is not generalizing. I am in Bangalore and my friend was looking for a new car and I have been helping him with the search. We had done a test drive for Maruti Ignis and was finalizing the price etc.. The SA was pressurizing my friend to book the car citing the usual reasons like price hike, offer available only this month and the usual cribbing.

We waited for couple of days since we were actively checking other cars as well. The SA called him up and offered a flat 50K discount on Ignis if he books it then and there. This looked suspicious as we had enquired in multiple Nexa showrooms for the offers and none were offering this On further probing, he said its an employee offer and thought of passing it to us. A good gesture for sure

We left it at that as we were sure there as something wrong. We went to the showroom today and discussed with the SA. On further discussion, we were shocked to know that it was a new car that was damaged in the recent Bangalore flood and they were disposing it !!!.

This info slipped out accidently from the SA and would have sold it to an unsuspecting customer if they were not vigilant.
Again, am not saying that the SA wouldn't have told us eventually, but was pissed that we were not informed about this before we questioned him.

I want everyone to be extra careful if you are purchasing a new car here in Bangalore and this can happen in any new/used car showroom so please be careful.

Last edited by Eddy : 15th September 2022 at 21:06. Reason: Only 2 smilies allowed per post.
superchamp is offline   (63) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 20:58   #2
BHPian

re: Showroom selling flood-damaged new cars

The new cars have shipping and transit insurance. As long as they are not sold, they are covered under insurance. Either the dealer is not getting full insurance for the cars until sold or he just wants to mint more.

Now, if you are buying a new car in Benguluru, please look for the cars with VIN made on or after September 2022. [Assuming Transit takes ~12+ days..]

I wonder why a dealer is resorting to such malpractices. In case of any complaint,
- Maruti will for sure terminate their dealership unless politically connected or ... ill leave it to your assumptions.
- This would be seen as Fraud in the court of law, as one party is intentionally selling damaged goods, by concealing the reality.
Mustang_Boss is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 21:17   #3
BHPian

How on earth a damaged vehicle is being offered? Did you confront any superior.

And what does it mean by damaged? Fully submerged with flooding of engine and everything? How can such a vehicle be roadworthy?

Something is missing here. I don't have high regards for MS dealers in general but this is unheard of for a new vehicle, used car dealers are notorious for concealing these things.
Drkalgaonkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 21:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

Transit and stock insurance companies pay only book value less offered salvage or 75% of book value whatever is less. None of the car manufacturers help dealers in case of natural calamities.

After exiting the dealership game, I can say that all dealerships especially those of popular companies are loss making, but commission from insurance, accessories and handling make it barely break even.

Dealers have to resort to gimmicks to survive, most dealers themselves put an offer of 25% for cars in their stock, and claim 75 % from insurance, then dismantle the cars for spare parts.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 23:32   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkalgaonkar View Post
How on earth a damaged vehicle is being offered? Did you confront any superior.

And what does it mean by damaged? Fully submerged with flooding of engine and everything? How can such a vehicle be roadworthy?

Something is missing here. I don't have high regards for MS dealers in general but this is unheard of for a new vehicle, used car dealers are notorious for concealing these things.
We were not planning to take this anyways and hence didn't continue with the discussion.
Like I said, maybe the SA would have come clean later and hence not jumping in to conclusions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
Transit and stock insurance companies pay only book value less offered salvage or 75% of book value whatever is less. None of the car manufacturers help dealers in case of natural calamities.

After exiting the dealership game, I can say that all dealerships especially those of popular companies are loss making, but commission from insurance, accessories and handling make it barely break even.

Dealers have to resort to gimmicks to survive, most dealers themselves put an offer of 25% for cars in their stock, and claim 75 % from insurance, then dismantle the cars for spare parts.

Rahul
I agree. May be they were trying to make some quick money by selling the car as new with discount.
superchamp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 23:45   #6
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchamp View Post
May be they were trying to make some quick money by selling the car as new with discount.
Please name the dealership so that people are careful in their dealings.
thanixravindran is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 09:06   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Showroom selling flood-damaged new cars

Mod Note: Thread moved to the dealership's section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 11:46   #8
BHPian

Quote:
*SNIP*

After exiting the dealership game, I can say that all dealerships especially those of popular companies are loss making, but commission from insurance, accessories and handling make it barely break even.*SNIP*
Apologies for going off-topic, but this statement piqued my interest.

If this is the case, then why would these people (or anyone for that matter) have a dealership? I mean, isn't the sole purpose of a business to be profitable?

I understand said dealerships also having service centres where they do make a profit, but one could merely open a service centre without having a dealership attached, no?

Cheers
tilt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 12:15   #9
BHPian

What is the guarantee that the flood damaged cars are not transited to their own dealerships at other cities and sold off to unsuspecting customers? Banglore to Mysore is sure a possibility.
There should be a provision to blacklist those VIN's from getting registered or the next best option I could think of is to get this refurbished at the OEM (not the dealer) and sold off at 40% discount with all the warranties that a new car gets

Last edited by saisree : 16th September 2022 at 12:17.
saisree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 16:16   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
If this is the case, then why would these people (or anyone for that matter) have a dealership? I mean, isn't the sole purpose of a business to be profitable?
I understand said dealerships also having service centres where they do make a profit, but one could merely open a service centre without having a dealership attached, no?
Yes profit should be motive of but market competition does not allow you to make enough profit to cover overheads. Current transparency due to the net allows every one to know your purchase price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
There should be a provision to blacklist those VIN's from getting registered or the next best option I could think of is to get this refurbished at the OEM (not the dealer) and sold off at 40% discount with all the warranties that a new car gets
How does any one other than the dealership and insurance co know the vin's.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2022, 20:59   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Happens and is usual in all our cities that have /had been affected by flooding. Happened in Mumbai too post the July 2005 floods.

It's better to delay the new car purchase decision as of now for Bangalore city. Even used cars need to be avoided or suspected, as used car dealers are also very seasoned in selling such cars to unsuspecting customers.

Even if there is a price increase for new cars in the future months, paying such hiked prices would be more preferable as compared to buying a flood damaged new car.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 10:06   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Yes profit should be motive of but market competition does not allow you to make enough profit to cover overheads. Current transparency due to the net allows every one to know your purchase price.

*SNIP*
Therefore my original question remains - why would anyone want to open dealership when it is well known that there is no profit?

I ask you specifically since you are an insider in that industry.

Cheers
tilt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 22:22   #13
BHPian

This may be happening not just in bangalore but anywhere else as well. Dealership disconnecting speedometer and giving the car for test drives. These are some of the ways they cheat customers. May not be prevalent everywhere but have seen few instances.
Old 20th September 2022, 10:45   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchamp View Post
I want everyone to be extra careful if you are purchasing a new car here in Bangalore and this can happen in any new/used car showroom so please be careful.
I apricate your efforts to aware people regarding this malpractice. The buyers from neighboring cities/states should also need to be vigilant about these, its not difficult to transport these cars to places where flooding had not happened.

Its too appalling to note that SA has come down to this, off course they have pressures from their higher ups and their aim is just to mint money through this dealership business.
UD17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2022, 12:34   #15
Senior - BHPian

I was suspecting that this would happen, especially with the used cars.
Are there ways to identify a flood damaged car? They would have thoroughly washed the car and leave no traces.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks