Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2022, 20:17   #16
BHPian

Re: My terrible experience with Jai Auto & Skoda Kodiaq

Quite shocked and equally sad about you unfortunate event. Being said, as a lawyer I would advise you to get a good lawyer and fight this out in consumer court. Anyways 3 yrs plus that 40 lakhs is almost gone. Being said, from my experience, consumer courts generally is very considerate towards consumers. Ensure you have a detailed summary with every possible proof of communication. A good lawyer can actually get you a full compensation or a brand new vehicle + compensation if argued well. Best of luck!
Nomad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 10:08   #17
BHPian

@amitoberoi, If the car is in working and running condition, I advise you to take back your car and run it. After all you have paid money for your car and you should be able to drive it. If the car is not running and waiting for repairs, give it a last chance and see if the dealership replaces the faulty parts free of charge. If they do not, I would advise you to pay for the same and get back your car. After all it is your car that is standing and standing car is of no use to you. You can also think of selling the car outright after it is reqpaired to recoupe some of the money that you have lost over the years. Lastly, please don't worry about what will happen, stay in the present and buy a good insurance with Road side assistance. So if the car breaks down, you have RSA.
Old 26th September 2022, 12:37   #18
BHPian

If the car is in the ASC for 3 years then you are out of luck. They might have already harvested the critical parts of your vehicle and also it might have been used as a joyride vehicle by many of the showroom staff.

Best course of action would be to get back your vehicle and finish repairs at another skoda ASC or FNG while continuing the legal battle.
Old 26th September 2022, 12:59   #19
Senior - BHPian

I am quite surprised at one thing out of this whole story.

You left it at the service station for 3 YEARS!!!!!

Metal shavings in the fuel filter could mean a fuel pump, engine gets fed by the fuel pump and not vice versa, how would fuel travel in the reverse direction from the cylinders/pistons to the injectors to the fuel filter or am I missing something?

No service station will give you anything in writing. When they had decarbonized my Swift D at 50 thousand kilometers at a MASS without my consent, it started making a racket, low rpm to high rpm engine speed increase would cause it to knock, it almost sounded like an old truck. I created a big ruckus and told those guys if something happens to the engine, you guys have had it, but since I am an automotive engineer, I knew after a couple of thousand kilometers when the carbon will accumulate most probably the noise will subside and there is a good chance there won't be any compression leak. She stands at 2 lakh 4 thousand kilometers now.

Just get your car back, get it to another service station and replace all the fluids, tyres changed as it would have flatspotted and enjoy the Kodiaq.

PS: I think Skoda should not get away with this bad fuel crap all the time. All cars in India run on the fuel that is available, calibrate the machines for India or get lost from the market.

Last edited by humyum : 26th September 2022 at 13:01.
Old 26th September 2022, 14:07   #20
BHPian

I always thought I was extreme in my reactions but you win that crown today.

Having said, here is what I would do, I would have picked the vehicle, driven around for a few months and even after that if I was irritated by the possibility of it going kaput, I would have sold it. Do not get me wrong please, to each its own, people chose their own battles but its just not the battle I will fight because even after fighting for 5 years if I get the money/brand new car its just not worth ones time and peace of mind.

I reckon its easier said than done but you have to draw a line at some point in time and end the matter(in whatever way you deem fit) as it would be costing your mind and time.
M.Dua is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 14:12   #21
BHPian

The entire sequence of events, eventually leading to the Kodiaq lying in the service center for 3 years is quite unbelievable. I researched a bit online and found the following:

1) The very exact same post was in LinkedIn 3 months ago - link below:

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/amit-...er_desktop_web

2) Zac Hollis has personally replied to this post and it seems has offered the following two options, this was two months ago - (a) Replacement car (b) Repairing the existing car under warranty as a special case (as initially it was rejected to be repaired under warranty) and also providing additional 2 years warranty

Unfortunately none of the updates of the past 3 months have been provided here in Team BHP post and neither has OP provided any responses after the initial post.

It seems the OP has been quite rigid with the demand of a refund and any other resolutions provided have been dismissed.

Seems like a loss - loss situation for both Skoda and the Customer now.

Wonder why did Skoda not refund if they were willing to offer a replacement?
soarersc300 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 16:10   #22
BHPian

I guess, we have no choice except to continue using the car. Don't leave it in the service center. Every time I've left my car in the A.S.S, I have lost items in my car. Recent one in which I employed Wheels Wisdom - I lost the top cover which is plastic under the engine hood. Not sure whom to blame now as Wheels Wisdom is also involved in it.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 26th September 2022 at 16:29. Reason: Typos
Old 26th September 2022, 17:59   #23
BHPian

Sorry to say, you already lost the car and the plot. It's rotting at the service center like an abandoned vehicle. What you all wanted is a fuel filter replacement and some additional checks, which Skoda/dealer would have happily done for a payment. There are many such incidents in this forum, which would have given some clarity.

What if, the fuel filter replacement alone was enough, you would have enjoyed 2+ years of blissful driving.
Old 26th September 2022, 18:38   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoberoi View Post
I told him what I told Zac Hollis, to deduct whatever depreciation is there and return my money, and If for some reason I am forced back to take the vehicle I will do with it exactly what the Nizam did with the Rolls Royce.
Sorry for your ordeal, but end of the day, it's your money that's stuck. 1 more disgruntled customer wouldn't make much of a difference to Skoda. I wish you had posted this ordeal sooner with an open mind. Sometimes it's better to cut your losses, and move on. Accepting part replacement + extended warranty may have nipped this ordeal in the bud. And you could have then sold this car off.

My best wishes if you do decide to pursue the legal route. People have done it successfully in the past, so all is not lost. Hopefully, it gets you what you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soarersc300 View Post
The entire sequence of events, eventually leading to the Kodiaq lying in the service center for 3 years is quite unbelievable. I researched a bit online and found the following:

2) Zac Hollis has personally replied to this post and it seems has offered the following two options, this was two months ago - (a) Replacement car (b) Repairing the existing car under warranty as a special case (as initially it was rejected to be repaired under warranty) and also providing additional 2 years warranty

Unfortunately none of the updates of the past 3 months have been provided here in Team BHP post and neither has OP provided any responses after the initial post.
An OEM offering a replacement is quite a big deal. Usually they don't, unless, it's clearly a catastrophic manufacturing defect. Even in such a case, they first try to replace the problematic parts rather than the complete car.

Are we sure it was a car replacement that was promised, and not a parts/engine replacement since the OP was concerned about the impact on the engine?
Old 26th September 2022, 19:13   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
Leaving vehicle for three years because of faulty fuel filter is extreme. You have left your vehicle only anticipating further problems. No company or dealer will give you anything that you were expecting in writing. Let's be practical.

Skoda Horror stories are well known. But leaving vehicle at dealership because of the fear that there can be problems in future is quite surprising and such situation could have been avoided.

Since the matter is in court, I have my doubts if the dealer or the company will extend any further help. You have burned bridges with both of them.

I wonder if a car parked for three years would be road worthy now.
I did not leave the car at the dealership due to a faulty fuel filter. I had other concerns which i mentioned in the post which the dealership or even Skoda was not ready to address. That was the reason i refused to collect the car.
Skoda horror stories are well known yes, but they generally tend to be just that, stories as nothing ever happens. So i decided not to be practical and go head on, thats it. It might seem the incorrect course of action to many, but to me it was the right thing to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkv_2401 View Post
Ah, man, you've traded a possible problem with the fuel filter and the car potentially stalling occasionally for a definite problem that's much worse - an almost totally ruined car.

It's foolish of Skoda to not give you those, rather simple, assurances; but I can't help but feel like leaving an almost new car with them for 3 years has only affected you adversely. There are things you can do to work around a somewhat-unreliable car : don't take it out with your family at night if you feel it's reliability is affected. Or if you were that worried, at least take the loss and sell it off, clearly stating your problems and worries with it. But now you've taken a massive depreciation loss, your car may not even work altogether, and even if Zac Hollis himself were to come down and inspect your car's engine and give you the all clear, it will never be as good as it was 3 years ago.
But thats the whole point of my issue with them, why should i adjust when i have paid for something you are selling. Not take out the car with my family at night, why should i do that. If I pay 40 lacs for a vehicle, i expect it to work, simple. Or if there is any issue, the least i expect is that they address my concerns, which never happened. Skoda never bothered to help, and only after i put it up on linkedin did zac hollis also respond, never before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
I think if you wished to do Nizam thing then should have written on car your horror story and got driver to drive it around town for days. Leaving in garage does not matter to Skoda.
My friend when i sent the car to the workshop ofcourse i did not wish to do the Nizam thing. At that time it was a simple case of car breaking down and sending it to the workshop. It is only after 3 years did I mention that i would do this if i am forced to take it back. So dont mix the timeline as there is a gap of three years from the beginning till now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
If you are an advocate, this will be fun, but if you are not, then you should reconsider your decision.

1. Bad fuel is a huge possibility in our country, it cannot be ruled out. Take the car out after the said repairs and then take a call what to do.
2. Your car is depritiating each day. You should have got the car repaired and sold it off if you doubt Skoda's quality. We should trust the brand to enjoy if fully, if that trust us broken, there is no reason to continue with that brand. However, clogged fuel filter is not a good enough reason.

What I am trying to understand from your post is, that there were metal particles in the fuel, filter didn't work 100%, some particles clogged the filter, some may have gone to the combustion chamber. As fuel filter was clogged, car stalled.

If the above assumption is true, you should get the filter replaced and fuel lines flushed, check for any damage to the engine or the injectors and drive happily.
If there is damage to the engine, the liability lies on you, as you filled bad fuel; what will Skoda do here?

Your last threat is childish. They will have an upper hand in court if you do that.

You whole story is assumption. You did not prove anything.
Please answer me, how does one fill bad fuel in the vehicle from the petrol pumps. Do I need to carry a fuel checking kit everytime i buy fuel from Bharat petroleum pump or Hindustan petroleum pump? Do you?

It might be childish, but it would be fun for sure.

And i am sorry you see the story as assumption, but the dealer accepting that the fuel filter works only to a certain extent, and the problems further on in the vehicle due to that are the company's responsibility, not mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummybear View Post
Unfortunately, most people in our country will not even put a fight, specially if opposite party is such a big company.

Our judicial system is too slow, which not only adds to pain of victim but also cost at most of the time outweigh the justice itself, as a result common man avoids to sue companies or individuals. It's well said, justice delayed is justice denied.

I personal opinion is to go with Japanese brands for reliability and quality of service and for real German taste go Beemer or Merc. VW group vehicles doesn't tick well on any these boxes for me and gives a feeling of compromise purchase.

Wish you get justice soon or else we get to see Nizam's history repeating. Either way, VW brand is taking a hit.
I totally agree with you now after this episode. Only Japanese cars for me now going ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhavyagnik View Post
@amitoberoi, If the car is in working and running condition, I advise you to take back your car and run it. After all you have paid money for your car and you should be able to drive it. If the car is not running and waiting for repairs, give it a last chance and see if the dealership replaces the faulty parts free of charge. If they do not, I would advise you to pay for the same and get back your car. After all it is your car that is standing and standing car is of no use to you. You can also think of selling the car outright after it is reqpaired to recoupe some of the money that you have lost over the years. Lastly, please don't worry about what will happen, stay in the present and buy a good insurance with Road side assistance. So if the car breaks down, you have RSA.
Had I wanted to do this, i would have done this 3 years back. I took a call to fight it out, and thats what i am doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
I am quite surprised at one thing out of this whole story.

You left it at the service station for 3 YEARS!!!!!

Metal shavings in the fuel filter could mean a fuel pump, engine gets fed by the fuel pump and not vice versa, how would fuel travel in the reverse direction from the cylinders/pistons to the injectors to the fuel filter or am I missing something?

No service station will give you anything in writing. When they had decarbonized my Swift D at 50 thousand kilometers at a MASS without my consent, it started making a racket, low rpm to high rpm engine speed increase would cause it to knock, it almost sounded like an old truck. I created a big ruckus and told those guys if something happens to the engine, you guys have had it, but since I am an automotive engineer, I knew after a couple of thousand kilometers when the carbon will accumulate most probably the noise will subside and there is a good chance there won't be any compression leak. She stands at 2 lakh 4 thousand kilometers now.

Just get your car back, get it to another service station and replace all the fluids, tyres changed as it would have flatspotted and enjoy the Kodiaq.

PS: I think Skoda should not get away with this bad fuel crap all the time. All cars in India run on the fuel that is available, calibrate the machines for India or get lost from the market.
People also said that man cannot fly, but it happened. So lets give it a shot and i might be surprised. But I agree with you that Skoda has been saying this bad fuel thing for a long time now. People complain but then nothing happens. It might turn out that in this case also nothing happens, but i would try at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Dua View Post
I always thought I was extreme in my reactions but you win that crown today.

Having said, here is what I would do, I would have picked the vehicle, driven around for a few months and even after that if I was irritated by the possibility of it going kaput, I would have sold it. Do not get me wrong please, to each its own, people chose their own battles but its just not the battle I will fight because even after fighting for 5 years if I get the money/brand new car its just not worth ones time and peace of mind.

I reckon its easier said than done but you have to draw a line at some point in time and end the matter(in whatever way you deem fit) as it would be costing your mind and time.
Thanks. I am always of the opinion if you have to do something, go overboard

I will let the issue run its course and see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soarersc300 View Post

It seems the OP has been quite rigid with the demand of a refund and any other resolutions provided have been dismissed.

Seems like a loss - loss situation for both Skoda and the Customer now.

Wonder why did Skoda not refund if they were willing to offer a replacement?
Zac Hollis's first reaction to the post was "To collect the vehicle and enjoy it" It is only after i refused it someone from Skoda called me to talk it out. They did offer me a replacement car, but when i said i would collect it but in any case not drive a Skoda and will sell it, that offer somehow got off the table and i was told that since the case is in court, they cannot do anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
Sorry to say, you already lost the car and the plot. It's rotting at the service center like an abandoned vehicle. What you all wanted is a fuel filter replacement and some additional checks, which Skoda/dealer would have happily done for a payment. There are many such incidents in this forum, which would have given some clarity.

What if, the fuel filter replacement alone was enough, you would have enjoyed 2+ years of blissful driving.
The issue was not a fuel filter replacement. The issue was that they initially tried to put it on me that I had taken bad fuel. When that did not fly with me they said that they will do it this time, but not under warranty, which meant that if next time it happens again i have to go thru this ordeal.

It is always said that written assurances from company or dealer never happen, i have seen many things which never happen but happen anyways, so lets see.

There are many opinions that such an issue does not warrant leaving the car with the dealer, or that one should make adjustments and carry on. My only question is that if I am paying for something, then i expect quality from it. Or if something happens, at least that is taken care of without trying to rip off the customer. Why is the consumer always expected to make adjustments in such cases. Why is the company never held responsible (well, almost never) in these cases. I simply decided not to take crap from the company, however big they might be and go on with what I thought was right. And even today i dont think it was the wrong decision. For me it was the right thing to do.
amitoberoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 21:54   #26
BHPian

If a surgeon left a scissor in my stomach during surgery, I will ask him to take it out, and fight the legal battle outside.
I will not fight the battle with my stomach carrying a scissor and me being stationed in the hospital for three years.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 22:48   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
If a surgeon left a scissor in my stomach during surgery, I will ask him to take it out, and fight the legal battle outside.
I will not fight the battle with my stomach carrying a scissor and me being stationed in the hospital for three years.
Absolutely correct. But this is not that situation and neither is leaving the kodiaq there gonna kill me. So I think I can go on with this scissor inside me.
Old 27th September 2022, 10:58   #28
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: This thread has run its course & been discussed enough. Thread Closed.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks