Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2023, 17:02   #16
BHPian

Re: Dakshin Honda: Insurance company approves new running board, but dealer slyly repairing it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
After reading the original post and comments here's my take:

- If the service centre or the insurance company didn't inform you that they were repairing it, both of them are at fault.
- Repair over replacement isn't always a bad thing. You can save some money.
- From what I see your car is 5+ years old, so you will anyway have to pay 50% of the part cost in depreciation. In addition, the difference between insurance-approved costs & service centre costs, the labour, paint material costs, and compulsory deductible.

Waiting for your next update.
Omkar, the workshop requested replacement of the running board to the insurance, which the insurance company approved No intimation while the workshop told me that they’re waiting for the part to arrive while upon physically checking the same day, I found that they’re repairing it.

Also note that I have a zero depreciation policy, so regardless of the age of the vehicle, I don’t need to pay anything for the replacement of the part.
outdoorlover is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 17:41   #17
Team-BHP Support

Re: Dakshin Honda: Insurance company approves new running board, but dealer slyly repairing it

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
Omkar, the workshop requested replacement of the running board to the insurance, which the insurance company approved No intimation while the workshop told me that they’re waiting for the part to arrive while upon physically checking the same day, I found that they’re repairing it.

Also note that I have a zero depreciation policy, so regardless of the age of the vehicle, I don’t need to pay anything for the replacement of the part.
Hey outdoorlover,

Zero-depreciation policy clears up a lot of things. This is a common fraud that workshops run.

1. Take approval for a new part from insurance company.
2. Repair the part without the knowledge of the customer or insurance company.
3. For the re-inspection pictures, use one of the damaged running boards in the workshop. Create a similar looking damage as your car. Click pictures of the repaired running board on the car (now shown as new) and the damaged running board together.
4. Get money for new running board from insurance company through cashless.
5. In essence, the workshop will make Rs. 19,500 through this fraud.
Omkar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 17:56   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

A running board repair is always tricky. Not only because of the integrity or being a load bearing member but also because if not done and sealed properly, water ingress can happen and will rust the area. It is a part which is welded on the rear wheel arc and runs to just under the front door hinges. The area, if even a small pore is left open, will make it like a small water storage and will result in rust formation.
saket77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 22:04   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
5. In essence, the workshop will make Rs. 19,500 through this fraud.
This would not be true if the dealer took a new panel and cut the required section to affix to existing running board right? Of course, the dealer can retain the remaining piece and reuse for another car and make money in the process by again charging the full amount provided it were different sections that were damaged for other car(s) but in this case the customer can right royally order the dealer to handover the rest of the panel as it would be paid in entirety.
Old 24th March 2023, 12:33   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
This would not be true if the dealer took a new panel and cut the required section to affix to existing running board right?
Why would he cut a part of a brand new panel? Going by the books, running board replacement (as approved by the Insurance company) would entail the replacement of the entire running board and not a part of it. Even the insurance company would expect the service center to do the same.

Quote:
Of course, the dealer can retain the remaining piece and reuse for another car and make money in the process by again charging the full amount provided it were different sections that were damaged for other car(s) but in this case the customer can right royally order the dealer to handover the rest of the panel as it would be paid in entirety.
It doesn't make sense for the workshop to use only a part of a new panel. In this case, he'd be splitting the running board into 2 parts. Is he supposed to wait for another Honda City with LH running board damage? What if the damage is similar to this Honda City? He doesn't have the missing part! Also, what use is a split running board to a customer? Even if he goes to sell it, no one will buy it. Will have to sell by the weight of metal, which is barely anything.
Omkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 12:43   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why would he cut a part of a brand new panel? Going by the books, running board replacement (as approved by the Insurance company) would entail the replacement of the entire running board and not a part of it. Even the insurance company would expect the service center to do the same.

Please read many of our posts from start of this thread where we have been trying to explain why this is the way it is. You will understand why original panels need to be cut and welded to fit entire panel of running board to the body. In a nutshell, if running board is replaced whether in entirety or in parts, cutting and welding is involved. Whether you go ahead and cut entire board off the A/B/C pillars and reweld them just because you paid for a new panel OR isolate and minimise area of repair to sections of panel beyond repair is anyone's best guess.

It's part of the body shell and needs to be cut and accomodated wherever panel is beyond repair even after denting and pulling methods. It's not a lift and shift replacement panel like a door or hood.
Old 24th March 2023, 20:28   #22
BHPian

OP has shared in 1st post that workshop agreed to fault and agreed to replace, as originally intimated. Let's give weightage to that, and that they didn't inform customer what they're doing.

Even if full replacement needs metals cuts/welds, that is the OEM approved procedure, hence more likely to be safe.

I believe OP's main point is: "Be sure that service centre has actually replaced and not repaired a given part". Appreciate it.

And can happen at Honda as well.
dsr001 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 23:19   #23
Senior - BHPian

Trying to explain for the 'n'th time, this time with some representation.

What the dealer has done. Marked areas length and breadth wise are pieces of new panel cut and welded.

Dakshin Honda: Insurance company approves new running board, but dealer slyly repairing it-running_board_repair2.jpeg

What the OP and few others are expecting. Marked areas will be cut including pillar areas. Note the length and breadth.

Dakshin Honda: Insurance company approves new running board, but dealer slyly repairing it-running_board_repair3.jpeg

It's really that simple. Anybody's guess as to which "repair" would be structurally sound.

BTW, both approaches are "repairs" in my opinion.
DRIV3R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2023, 18:54   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Don't know about your car but if the new part from Honda will be something like the below Dzire, then you should ask them to change full piece.
Thanks for taking the time and the efforts, Turbanator! The Honda part is slightly longer and joins all the pillars vertically. The workshop has now replaced the full running board after being advised by Honda.

Thanks all who chipped in with their support and advises. I had escalated the concern to Honda CS the same day as I had brought up on this forum and they have advised the workshop to replace the entire part. They agreed that cutting a part at the bottom would compromise the structural integrity of a load bearing member. The work is in progress at at the workshop and would post some photos on my next visit.

Last edited by Turbanator : 25th March 2023 at 19:06. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Trimmed quoted post, please use multi quote function.
outdoorlover is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2023, 19:06   #25

It's a shocking fraud from an authorized dealer. Perhaps they do it only on major repairs.

A usual practice is to drop the vehicle at the workshop and go back to collect it once the repair is done. If one had taken the usual approach, it would have been impossible to find and you would have been cheated and still none the wiser!

How did you stumble up on this?

It is a scary proposition when authorized dealers do such things. The only way is to conduct an audit before the promised delivery time, to check in on the progress. :( It is such a waste of time.

I have been giving my Honda City for regular service to this dealer - Would have to be very watchful from next time onwards.
Old 7th April 2023, 22:56   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonShot View Post
It's a shocking fraud from an authorized dealer. Perhaps they do it only on major repairs.

A usual practice is to drop the vehicle at the workshop and go back to collect it once the repair is done. If one had taken the usual approach, it would have been impossible to find and you would have been cheated and still none the wiser!

How did you stumble up on this?

It is a scary proposition when authorized dealers do such things. The only way is to conduct an audit before the promised delivery time, to check in on the progress. :( It is such a waste of time.
Yes Moonshot, it is indeed a waste of time, but I got a little suspicious this time as the agency had applied for replacement of doors (which was not necessary at all) apart from the running board. The insurance company turned down the request for the change of doors and approved repair and paint (as these were mere scratches) and replacement of running board.

Thereafter, I dropped in on the second day to check on what was going on and to my surprise found this shoddy work going on not in line with the insurance approval while the body shop advisor, Lucas, was telling me that they are waiting for the part to arrive and will let me know once the part comes.

Moral of the story is that we need to be careful and these agencies cannot be trusted eyes closed. I also have been going to this agency ever since 2018 and have had another case about 4 years back where they were trying to pass a used bumper to me (when the insurance had approved a new bumper) which I discovered when the fit wasnt so great at the edges and hence I asked them to raise the car on a jack to check underneath and found that the bumper was fixed with a metal wire at the back.

The tragedy is that Honda doesnot have enough service centres across Bangalore and also doesnot care much about the after sales service quality being delivered by the customers. My interactions with the Honda Customer service confirmed this as they didnt seem to take the offence seriously or maybe there is some nexus. While I still love the Honda ivtec engine and the gearbox, I feel the amongst the popular segments, customer focus of Toyota and Maruti are ahead (havenot used the Koreans, so can't comment on them).
outdoorlover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2023, 11:05   #27

Deep Scratch on Running Board

Hi Guys,

I own a Skoda Rapid TSI (2021). I was driving nearby a place where road extension works were happening. I ran over a stone/cement block (which was kept on the side of the road ) while taking a turn. It caused a minor dent in the running board and a fairly deep scratch. I can see the metal/alloy of the running board.

Please check the pictures and tell me what I can do about it. The scratch is 3-4 inches long and is already an eyesore.
Attached Thumbnails
Dakshin Honda: Insurance company approves new running board, but dealer slyly repairing it-img20230508101223.jpg  

Dakshin Honda: Insurance company approves new running board, but dealer slyly repairing it-img_20230508_110034.jpg  

Old 8th May 2023, 21:51   #28
BHPian

Re: Deep Scratch on Running Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineFirst528 View Post
Hi Guys,

Please check the pictures and tell me what I can do about it. The scratch is 3-4 inches long and is already an eyesore.
This doesn't look too bad from the pic and can be repaired and painted over.
outdoorlover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2023, 22:27   #29
BHPian

Re: Deep Scratch on Running Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineFirst528 View Post
Hi Guys,

My ex car had an almost identical ding which had happened under very similar circumstances. It is imperative that you get it repaired to prevent rusting.

The good part is that it literally takes 5 minutes to pull such a dent using the electric dent pullers ASCs and decently sized body shops have. Painting will take maybe a day or two. All in all, an easy fix.
ashivas89 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks