Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2023, 14:36   #1
BHPian

Dodged a bullet | PDI insistence helped me avoid a BMW display car

I had posted about this very briefly in another thread and now have some updates. Thought of posting the detailed story in the larger thread for more visibility and feedback. Mods, please merge/delete if you think otherwise.

We are looking to buy a bigger car and have been evaluating the c220d and the 330li. We got a good deal from Kun BMW (OMR showroom) - so we went ahead and booked a Portimao Blue 330li. We have been having the most amazing experience throughout our journey with the showroom so far (started months ago)

The entire experience came to a rude halt when the sales person refused a yard visit for a PDI. His claim was they don't let prospective BMW owners visit the yard anymore for PDI as the rules have changed. The reason - Kun shares the same yard with multiple dealerships like BYD etc. On top, they insisted that BMW has stopped shipping their cars with the protective sticker/film on the roof and bonnet. He offered to have the car driven to the showroom where I can inspect the car.

I flatly refused to have the car driven around like that for a PDI.

Something felt off, and I told them I am not proceeding further without the yard visit. Finally, they owned up to the fact that the Portimao Blue 330LI they were planning to sell me is a display model from the Ambattur showroom.

And that exactly why they were not willing to let me enter the yard. Because the car had been sitting in a showroom elsewhere with every prospective buyer getting in and out of the car, slamming the doors shut with the least care in the world.

Now, it's perfectly normal for a dealership to offer the display car for sale, but if they had been honest about it from the start, that's a different story.

Now, the apologetic sales person sent me his open stock list - it showed two Blue Portimao 330LIs. Upon quizzing the location of the other, he claimed both were displayed in their Ambattur and Meenambakkam showroom respectively. (I have been dealing with the OMR showroom.)

He then asked me if it was okay if they got me a car allotted from a different location - like Coimbatore etc. I wasn't too keen on this - I told him I would have no idea if it was indeed a fresh car or a display car and he agreed with me. Their final reply to me was it would take 2 months to get a new Portimao Blue 330 allotted to me if I wanted a fresh car straight from the factory. I told them I was in no hurry, though I reminded them of their initial delivery promise - 1 week if the colour was in stock and 1 month if not.

The next day, I got a call from them saying a new Portimao Blue 330LI has left the factory and that they have allotted it for me. They said they will unload the car in front of me. But here's the kicker - they still insist that BMW doesn't ship with protective film/stickers on the roof and bonnet anymore. I asked for the manufacture month and he said it's August. He claims no way one can get a September manufactured car.

I normally would not probe this much, but the initial sleight has left a sour taste in my mouth and has made me super apprehensive about their intentions. I have a strong feeling the car that is "on the way from the factory" is probably coming in from one of Kun's non-Chennai showrooms where it had been in display.

This has been frustrating and definitely not the experience one has to go through for a car that costs 60 lakhs ex-showroom.

I initially wanted to cancel the BMW and explore other options, but good friend and fellow Teambhpian nimishlalwani reminded me not to let a poor sales experience come in the way of driving my dream car.

What are my options here? Thanks in advance.
msnarain is offline   (78) Thanks
Old 25th September 2023, 17:44   #2
BHPian

Re: BMW 3-Series Gran Limousine Review (Long Wheelbase)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msnarain View Post
But here's the kicker - they still insist that BMW doesn't ship with protective film/stickers on the roof and bonnet anymore.
I saw my car getting unloaded at the dealer from the truck and it had no protective sticker on the roof or bonnet. I have shared the pictures on the thread in March!

My suggestion is to go ahead with the purchase and see the car get unloaded in person. I am sure that when you see it in person for the first time you will forget the past.

Just enjoy owning and using one of the best sports sedans available in India.
ashish2135 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 27th September 2023, 11:17   #3
BHPian

Update: Dealer invited me to the yard to see the car being unloaded. They kept the truck waiting though they could have started unloading, at least the other cars.

I had been in interacting with representatives from BMW India over the last couple of days and they told me the protective sticker on top isn't mandatory anymore - some batches have them and some don't. They are very responsive and helpful - they asked me to give them the VIN once I see the car so they can check from their end about the car's history.

BMW India also offered to take an official complaint against the dealership which I refused - I really like the people in the showroom - especially our sales consultant and the sales manager. The display car tactic was clearly a bad judgement call someone took in the spur of the moment and I am willing to look past it since they are now doing everything they can to make it right.

I am really happy with the way Kun BMW has turned things around for me. My sales person was away on personal leave, and the sales manager himself traveled all the way to the Ambattur yard from the OMR showroom for this - it's 30 km one way across the city during evening peak hour traffic - he could have easily asked someone from the Kun BMW Ambattur showroom to take me to the yard.

The protective stickers weren't there as BMW India and Kun BMW folks had told me earlier.

But everything else was there - plastics on the seats, protective stickers near the floor by the door, protective foam at the edge of the door, sticker on the screen etc. Checked the VIN and it showed Aug 22 2023 as the production date.

Dodged a bullet | PDI insistence helped me avoid a BMW display car-2.jpeg

I feel a bit bad I gave them a hard time, but I think I just had to be extra careful because of the initial misleading.

But I am now happy with the turn of events and I can't wait to drive my own BMW - but sadly, this will have to wait as I have a work trip over the next two weeks.

Thank you Ashish2135 and Laks (who replied in the other thread). And once again thanks to Nimishlalwani for guiding me throughout the process and for being a sounding board and the voice of reason!

Watching the car being unloaded itself was a very therapeutic and satisfying experience!

Dodged a bullet | PDI insistence helped me avoid a BMW display car-5.jpeg
msnarain is offline   (104) Thanks
Old 27th September 2023, 12:12   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Dodged a bullet | PDI insistence helped me avoid a BMW display car

Thanks for sharing, msnarain! Moving your post out to a new thread so as to remind everyone of the importance of a PDI. I don't buy a shirt without a PDI, a car is out of the question .

A new thread means 100X the views & 100X the visibility in search engines, including Google. Will add to homepage later this week .

@ BHPians, if you should spot any good post in an existing thread that deserves its own new thread, please report the post and we'll move it out for greater visibility. Thank you!
GTO is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 13:56   #5
BHPian

@msnarain your sentiments and brain are absolutely in right places. Ultimately you are paying them in real money, not stones. So they better tell you everything up front without masking details that you ought to know. Like you said, somebody was having a bad day and made a bad call - all solved now.

Do not feel bad about giving them hard time if they aren't upfront. At the same time, I like that you decided to put this behind and take delivery of a fresh one.

Congrats on the purchase, and more ++ for the right mindset. Enjoy your sweet blue beemer!
shrinath_m2 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 14:24   #6
BHPian

Thank you for relating your experience.

Quote:
The entire experience came to a rude halt when the sales person refused a yard visit for a PDI. His claim was they don't let prospective BMW owners visit the yard anymore for PDI as the rules have changed. The reason - Kun shares the same yard with multiple dealerships like BYD etc. On top, they insisted that BMW has stopped shipping their cars with the protective sticker/film on the roof and bonnet. He offered to have the car driven to the showroom where I can inspect the car.

Just to confirm that I understand your issue, did you want to view the car being offloaded from the truck, so you know that a fresh copy is being assigned to you? Is this now the recommended precaution that every new car buyer needs to take?

If not, what is the drawback of inspecting the same car when not in the yard? Would that fact that it was a display car be less obvious when not in the yard? Would the VIN number not have helped you discover its history of manufacture?

Thank you.
dearchichi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 15:33   #7
BHPian

Quote:

Something felt off, and I told them I am not proceeding further without the yard visit. Finally, they owned up to the fact that the Portimao Blue 330LI they were planning to sell me is a display model from the Ambattur showroom.

And that exactly why they were not willing to let me enter the yard.
This is exactly my worry before going to buy an expensive car. At times, I feel that the more expensive the car and more renowned the brand is, the lesser these things could happen, but clearly I wasn't right. Some questions to you sir:

1. How did they actually end up confessing that they are selling you a demo car ? I mean they didn't allow a PDI, that's a red flag, but just based on that, they blurted out everything risking their reputational damage?

2. Were you a german luxury car owner already ? Would they have done that to you if they somehow knew that you had a BMW already ? In essence why did they decide to do that with you ( they assumed based on some interactions that you wouldn't know ? you insisted on an earlier delivery etc ? you didn't speak the local language? you didn't flaunt connections? )

3. Related to the above, if a first time luxury car buyer goes to buy a luxury car, the sales people would clearly know someone coming in from a more middle class background. Are the chances of being taken for a ride more for such people ? How do we combat this ? For some buying a BMW would be just another car but for some others it would be a significant portion of life savings wiped out. It's disgusting if this were to happen even on a lower priced car, so it makes me even more disappointed that people would dare to do stuff like this with their customers.

4. Other than the red flags, how does one even identify if it was a demo car ? Say they agreed to the PDI at the yard and they shipped the demo car there how would you know ? Ok, so you could insist on seeing the car being unloaded from the truck, but they could still ship a demo car in a truck and they could unload it in front of you. How would one make out then?

5. Maybe the manufacturing date is the one robust criteria.

6. While our TBHP PDI list is exhaustive, it talks more about the "what" and not the "how". For example if there was a repaired ding or repaint it may not always be visible to the naked eye. What does one need to do identify ? A spectrophotometer to be carried ?

7. We have seen that a PDI at the yard isn't final. If we approve and they register but they damage during driving to the showroom, then what is the recourse? Should we insist that they take the insurance for shipping (to the yard and then driving to the showroom?) - not the individual car coverage but something more that will let them write off or take the car back to the factory and get the customers a new one.

8. Lastly if I go the financing option, will the bank officials provide extra checks/covers ( like they would with a house ) or atleast will this deter the dealers from playing foul as the ramifications of a bad judgment will be made aware to the bank and that is a sure shot way of losing reputation?

9. Should I take someone along that already has a German Luxury that would make this type of hoodwinking more difficult?

What a horrible world we live in : no respect for human emotions, hard earned money and time. At the same time, they wouldn't think twice before passing judgment on a prospective car buyer ( e.g, "sir, may I see your tax statements?" or "yeh to kangal lagta hai, kya kharidege", I know of people that have gone through this at a German Luxury car dealer, won't say which brand).

Last edited by airguitar : 28th September 2023 at 15:50.
airguitar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 15:37   #8
BHPian

Quote:
I feel a bit bad I gave them a hard time, but I think I just had to be extra careful because of the initial misleading.
Nothing to feel bad since they tried to sell you a display car. Now they will be extra careful in future.

Good work and enjoy the car.
Toni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 15:44   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks for sharing, msnarain! Moving your post out to a new thread so as to remind everyone of the importance of a PDI. I don't buy a shirt without a PDI, a car is out of the question .

A new thread means 100X the views & 100X the visibility in search engines, including Google. Will add to homepage later this week .
Thanks, GTO! Much appreciated.

Thanks @shrinath_m2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dearchichi View Post
Thank you for relating your experience.

Just to confirm that I understand your issue, did you want to view the car being offloaded from the truck, so you know that a fresh copy is being assigned to you? Is this now the recommended precaution that every new car buyer needs to take?
I did not initially want to view the car being unloaded. All I wanted was to see the car in the yard. I had seen my Skoda Kushaq in the yard prior to being sent for registration and I was happy. Kun folks volunteered to have the car unloaded in front of me - I am guessing to make up for the initial poor experience. However, @ashish2135 did mention that he saw the car being unloaded too. No harm in asking though - it feels good and therapeutic. Also, I doubt if this is done for mass produced cars. I missed the unboxing experience for my Triumph Street Twin as I didn't know one could ask.

By the way, here are some photos from my visit to the Gurudev Skoda yard in Chennai. It came off as a very pleasant surprise that a Skoda dealer of all people kept the cars covered. They have indeed come a very long way!

Dodged a bullet | PDI insistence helped me avoid a BMW display car-3.jpeg

Dodged a bullet | PDI insistence helped me avoid a BMW display car-2.jpeg

As you can see above, the car is not exactly in "showroom/delivery" conditions looks wise. But you can see that the sticker on the display is still intact - something that a display car will definitely not have on as it hinders visibility.

Quote:

If not, what is the drawback of inspecting the same car when not in the yard?
Dealers typically have the cars shipped from the factory to the yard. The car leaves the yard to either go for registration or to the showroom for display/test drive purposes. If you are inspecting the car in the showroom, it means the car was driven from the yard to the showroom, something I think is surely avoidable unless the yard is REALLY far off for you to travel to.

Quote:

Would that fact that it was a display car be less obvious when not in the yard?
I mean, if someone is out to cheat you, they can cheat you. But typically cars stored in the yard are extremely dirty. So seeing a shiny car in the yard would definitely be suspicious. Also display cars typically do not have the plastics on the seats while I would expect a car stored in the yard to have the plastics intact.

Quote:

Would the VIN number not have helped you discover its history of manufacture?

Thank you.
VIN helps in identifying the date of production and nothing else in this context.

BMW India customer support said they can "try" to get more details if I shared the VIN with them. I am not sure how they could have helped, but I am assuming, if one puts enough pressure, maybe they can share the car's travel history from the records? I am not sure.

Last edited by msnarain : 28th September 2023 at 15:51.
msnarain is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 17:08   #10
BHPian

Thank you for the response. Makes sense.

Wishing you years of trouble-free ownership with your new ride.
dearchichi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 17:50   #11
BHPian

Let me take a stab at answering your questions one by one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post

1. How did they actually end up confessing that they are selling you a demo car ? I mean they didn't allow a PDI, that's a red flag, but just based on that, they blurted out everything risking their reputational damage?
I made it very clear from day 1 that I knew what I was talking about. Oh, and I might have named-dropped Teambhp a few times. Trust me, it helps. Especially if you make it known that you are not just a reader, but also a contributor.

Having said this, I think sense prevailed very quickly and they realized that the best thing to do would be to own up, be transparent about what happened and look at making up. Someone screwed up, and they were very honest about it. Full marks to them for professionalism and honestly.

Quote:

2. Were you a german luxury car owner already ? Would they have done that to you if they somehow knew that you had a BMW already ? In essence why did they decide to do that with you ( they assumed based on some interactions that you wouldn't know ? you insisted on an earlier delivery etc ? you didn't speak the local language? you didn't flaunt connections? )
I am a local of course, but just a middle class compact-SUV owner, living off a monthly salary. No connections to flaunt or an existing luxury car to speak of. I doubt if anyone had any ill intentions - like I said, it was someone who made a bad judgement call, but was quick enough to own up and come clean/transparent. I really appreciate the sales team for that.

Quote:

3. Related to the above, if a first time luxury car buyer goes to buy a luxury car, the sales people would clearly know someone coming in from a more middle class background. Are the chances of being taken for a ride more for such people ? How do we combat this ? For some buying a BMW would be just another car but for some others it would be a significant portion of life savings wiped out. It's disgusting if this were to happen even on a lower priced car, so it makes me even more disappointed that people would dare to do stuff like this with their customers.
I think its nothing to do with what car you drive (mostly). Sales folks are well trained and experienced to identify the serious buyers from the window shoppers. This happened to me well into the sales process - I had even paid a couple of lakhs to book the car before all this happened. The worst thing that they do to someone showing up in a hatchback is treat them with disdain.

For instance, we experienced poor treatment at the Titanium Mercedes showroom when we went to check out the C220d the day before we decided to book the BMW. I plan to cover it in the buying journey section in my initial ownership post.

Quote:

4. Other than the red flags, how does one even identify if it was a demo car ? Say they agreed to the PDI at the yard and they shipped the demo car there how would you know ? Ok, so you could insist on seeing the car being unloaded from the truck, but they could still ship a demo car in a truck and they could unload it in front of you. How would one make out then?
If someone really wants to cheat you, they will cheat you. Which is why I really appreciate the Kun BMW folks - Someone made a mistake and they owned up.

I deduced the car unloaded in front of me was not a demo car by the plastics on seats, protective foam, sticker on the screen etc. I doubt if someone really has the time and energy to go to such extents.

At the end of the day, you do this scientifically and place that trust in them.

Quote:

5. Maybe the manufacturing date is the one robust criteria.
Maybe, but not quite. The VIN of the car allotted to me had 22 Aug 2023 as the date of production. The display car's VIN had 6 Aug 2023 as the date of production. Practically, a car manufactured on 6th Aug 2023 is a good enough car to buy in September.

Quote:

6. While our TBHP PDI list is exhaustive, it talks more about the "what" and not the "how". For example if there was a repaired ding or repaint it may not always be visible to the naked eye. What does one need to do identify ? A spectrophotometer to be carried ?
I assume a small percentage of cars do get minor damages - scratches etc before delivery. I also assume cars anyway visit the service station before delivery to ensure wash, fluids top up and other essentials to ensure the car look and perform as expected.

Check out this thread by @dino_juice13 if not already on how they discovered after after 6 months that they were sold a car with repainted panels!

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ed-panels.html (VW Downtown sold me a Virtus GT with repainted panels)

Quote:

7. We have seen that a PDI at the yard isn't final. If we approve and they register but they damage during driving to the showroom, then what is the recourse? Should we insist that they take the insurance for shipping (to the yard and then driving to the showroom?) - not the individual car coverage but something more that will let them write off or take the car back to the factory and get the customers a new one.
I vaguely remember my Gurudev Skoda sales person mention that there is some group insurance for the cars in the dealer's inventory that takes care of this. I think we can safely assume this because it is illegal to drive in our roads without insurance. But I am not sure. Maybe someone else can help answer this question.

Quote:

8. Lastly if I go the financing option, will the bank officials provide extra checks/covers ( like they would with a house ) or atleast will this deter the dealers from playing foul as the ramifications of a bad judgment will be made aware to the bank and that is a sure shot way of losing reputation?
I doubt this. A lemon being sold under finance for example is the buyer's liability. All the banks care about is you paying them back on time. But I could be wrong on this. Maybe someone else can throw some light on this.

Quote:

9. Should I take someone along that already has a German Luxury that would make this type of hoodwinking more difficult?
Taking someone along is always great if you have that option, even if one is purchasing an entry-level hatchback, let alone a German luxury. And I don't think the car they drive would make a difference. But having an extra pair of eyes is always a good idea.

You could, like I did, have someone to consult remotely throughout the process. (Hat tip to good friend @nimishlalwani! )
msnarain is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 18:53   #12
BHPian

Quote:
I initially wanted to cancel the BMW and explore other options, but good friend and fellow Teambhpian nimishlalwani reminded me not to let a poor sales experience come in the way of driving my dream car.

What are my options here? Thanks in advance.
I too purchased my X1 Portimoblue from Omr branch but the delivery was from Meenambakkam. I was too taken to Ambattur to show the car in the yard. I don't remember exactly the kms but it was around 30 or around. I didn't bother much. I don't remember any stickers but the car was dusty. Looked legibly lying in the yard but I was as told that the car came from factory in Chennai. But your demo car story is really scary. You need to report this to BMW directly. This is not something BMW would ever even dream it's dealer doing.

Very bad taste this surely will leave for a 50+ lakhs cars.
sgmuser is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 19:53   #13
BHPian

msnarain, congrats on your purchase. Wish you lots of happy kms on this one. The blue always looks effortless on screen and more so on the road!

However, I wouldn't take their attempt to fleece you this lightly.

Test drive cars are heavily abused (who wouldn't want to floor a 250bhp car!) and thus are well discounted with some kind of warranty protection thrown in when the dealership wants to sell it.

For a premium German brand to even contemplate, let alone almost take the deal to fruition, is not at all an innocent mistake. If you were any less aware about PDI, the car would have been in your garage today and you would have been short changed for a 60-lakh car without your knowledge.

I would be utterly furious if this was done to me by any brand regardless of price.

The showroom remedying by providing red carpet treatment later is a result of guilt and fear of repercussions of an angry customer. I would discount any 'goodwill' they showed later.

It would be no surprise if the test drive car is already sold to another unsuspecting customer after you.

If they tried to do it once, they will do it again. The only difference is they were caught with you. Remember, not every BMW owner would be as thorough as you.

Would strongly urge you, if I may, to report this incident to BMW India for the sake of other buyers.

Again, I am glad you did not let this deter you from your first purchase into luxury sedans
Malliketh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 20:07   #14
BHPian

Congratulations on your purchase Sir. Glad that you got what you wanted in the end.

Your ordeal reminds me of my cousin's experience with Tata. As other members pointed out, this is why a PDI is mandatory, and a dealer's words cannot be taken for granted.

Anyway, here is my cousin's story.

Cousin initially booked an Astor and the dealer was clueless even after almost 6 months of waiting. Frustrated, he turned full desi and wanted to get a Nexon. He visited a couple of Tata dealers, and both quoted at least 3-4 months of waiting. He asked if inventory was available for immediate delivery and both dealers denied. Dejected, he returned home. The next day, he gets a call from one of the dealer asking when he was planning for a vehicle. He says as soon as you can deliver and mentioned he will release the funds immediately and that he won't go for a loan. The dealer promises to call him back and cuts the call. Half an hour later, the dealer calls back and says they have a few vehicles available for delivery and asked him to decide ASAP. Excited, my cousin visits the showroom immediately. They had a couple of XM/XM(S) and a XZ+(S) in stock. My cousin casually asked them if they had any other vehicles in stock. The SA calls his boss and confirms that they have a Kaziranga edition and a couple of dark editions available at their other branch. My cousin negotiated and finalized upon the Kaziranga edition. The booking amount was paid and delivery scheduled in another 2 days.

The next day, he gets a call from the accounts department asking him to release some payment and to forward his ID proofs. He asks to check the vehicle first to which they ask him to get in touch with the sales advisor. My cousin calls him and asked him if he could check the vehicle that day and to his surprise he immediately agreed. The SA mentioned that he could drop by the dealership at anytime. My cousin visited the dealership in the next 1 hour. Since the sales guy was attending another customer, my cousin decides to check the Nexon on display at the showroom. This how the conversation went:

Sales advisor (SA): Sorry to keep you waiting Sir, do you like the vehicle?
Cousin (C): Err, I do! That is why I booked it.
C (after an awkward silence for a couple of minutes): So, when can we take a look at the vehicle?
SA: Sir, you are sitting in the vehicle.
C: What do you mean I am sitting in the vehicle?
SA: This is the car Sir. This is what we have in stock.
C: What? Why didn't you mention that I am being sold a display vehicle?
SA: Err, Sir, I thought you were aware. You did not ask about it. We just brought it to the floor 2 days ago, you don't have to worry about anything.
C: Sorry, I am calling off this deal. I cannot pay full price for a display vehicle.
SA: Sir, we already invoiced the vehicle on your name. We cannot cancel it.
C: Invoiced? When? I did not even pay you. I won't pay you either.
SA: Calls his boss who comes to the floor with some piece of paper in hand.
Boss (B): Sir, the vehicle is already invoiced, we cannot cancel it.
C: Show me the invoice.
B: Here
C: This does not even belong to me. This is not my name, not my phone number. This is not even the same vehicle. You want me to believe this?
SA and B have an animated discussion for a couple of minutes and then apologize saying there was some mistake and they got confused with some other customer.
C: Anyway, I am cancelling my booking here
B tells something to SA and leaves.
SA (with a sad face): Sir, I declined a couple of customers since you already booked this vehicle. I lost a sale.
C: How is that my issue. You tried to con me.
SA: No sir, there is a misunderstanding. Sit, we can sort something out.
SA (proceeds to get a file containing their inventory across all showrooms): Sir, we have a couple of XZ+ Dark editions available in stock, would you be interested?
C: Not unless I see the vehicles in person.
SA: Sure sir, give me a minute.
SA (after speaking to someone): Sir, the yard is far away from the showroom.
C: No issues, give me the address. I will visit it at my own expense.
SA (after another round of calls): Sir, it is against our policy to allow customers in the yard.
C: against what?
SA: Security policy sir, we cannot allow outsiders to take a look
C (frustrated): Dude, just process my refund and be done with it. I cannot take your stories anymore.
SA: Give me a minute sir, I will sort something out for you.
SA (returns back): Sir, we will bring the vehicle to the showroom tomorrow. You can inspect it and then decide.
C: Okay, call me when you have the vehicle with you. Leaves.

Suspicious that they might pull a fast one on him, my cousin calls all the other branches of the same dealership asking if they have a Dark edition Nexon on display. To no one's surprise, they did have one in one of the showroom. My cousin then called the SA and gave him a piece of his mind and cut the call. The SA called him after an hour with a new offer. They will take him to the yard and will deliver it to him on condition that the insurance is purchased from them. After few rounds of negotiation, they agreed to cut 10K from their insurance quote, but insisted that he should take 10K worth accessories from them. Next day, my cousin visited the yard and noted down the VIN. The vehicle still had Tata PDI stickers on it and was pretty dirty. The next day, my cousin visited the dealer as soon as they opened and waited until they got the vehicle from the yard. After verifying that this is the same vehicle he saw in the yard the previous day, he released the payment. Finally, after 6 hours of wait, he was delivered a Dark XZ+ with a temporary registration. Final registration and original invoices were provided after another 2 weeks (including multiple escalations to Tata).

Sorry for the long post!

Mods, if you feel this is OT and not appropriate for this thread, please delete this post.
furyrider is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 22:14   #15
BHPian

Leaving aside the drama, your 3 Series looks amazing! The blue makes it stand out.

Also I liked how quickly you knew it was a showroom car when the manager refused a PDI. Detective work, I must say!

I hope no other person needs to go through this. This thread is very useful for future car buyers including me. And now, the PDI's will be done more thoroughly. A special thanks to mods for making this a separate thread where everyone can be notified.

Also, my uncle picked up a 220i Grand Coupe Sport in Misano Blue Metallic from the same BMW KUN OMR in September 2021. It has done around 14000 kms since.

Wishing you many happy memories and drives with your car! And I hope you do a ownership and review thread if you find the time : ) .
Raghav07 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks